[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: gcp-uniform-legion.jpg (39 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
gcp-uniform-legion.jpg
39 KB, 600x350
>IRC Channel

#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.con
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/qPhgHFmK

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Whatre some jobs for enlisted in airforce I should look at if I want to do either medical or security?
>>
File: OG.gif (2 MB, 896x487) Image search: [Google]
OG.gif
2 MB, 896x487
What kind of shitting accomodation can you expect per branche/specialization?
>>
>>28483421
If I'm not mistaken, Security Forces are USAF MPs and one of the few combat roles not part of SOF. Consider also researching the Phoenix raven program.
>>
>>28483571
Never heard of them before, thanks a lot man!
>>
Are MARSOC Raiders Airborne trained?
>>
>>28483946
>MARSOC
Let me stop you right there by saying join the army and get SF qualified. MARSOC is a waste of time.
>>
Any tips for the lie detector at basic?
Just finished army MEPS and lied about weed and I also neglected to mention that I have committed a felony(have shoplifted) although I never got caught for it, they said at basic they would cross check all our answers with a polygraph
Should I just fess up? or stick to it?
>>
File: annelaugh.gif (500 KB, 485x249) Image search: [Google]
annelaugh.gif
500 KB, 485x249
>>28484002
>they said at basic they would cross check all our answers with a polygraph

>a polygraph
>mfw
>>
>>28484002
The federal lie detector school is on Fort Jackson. You're fucked.
>>
if i was falsely diagnosed with a heart condition at age 11 and was just informed now at age 20 of such false diagnoses can i join the military?
>>
File: IMG_20151228_154648.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151228_154648.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
Anyone shipping to lackland on the 19th with me?
>>
Nothing is official just yet but my recruiter (Army) estimates that I'm going to basic Feb 29th.
Going for a phys Tuesday
Wrap up some other shit for my waiver
Secure the contract, go back to MEPS
Then wait for my date
>>
>>28483969
What's wrong with raiders?
>>
>>28484265
Nothing he's just retarded
>>
File: Scan_20160109_132033.jpg (3 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20160109_132033.jpg
3 MB, 2550x3300
>>
File: Scan_20160109_132112.jpg (2 MB, 2417x3209) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20160109_132112.jpg
2 MB, 2417x3209
>>
File: Scan_20160109_132140.jpg (2 MB, 2421x3209) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20160109_132140.jpg
2 MB, 2421x3209
>>28484353
>>
File: Scan_20160109_132210.jpg (1 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20160109_132210.jpg
1 MB, 2550x3300
>>28484359
>>
>>28484353
>>28484359
>>28484366
these are the % to book figures for Air Force that i was talking about last thread

>>28484327
this is the physical test for RASP, EOD etc etc that i was talking about last thread
>>
I hate any academics and having to pay rent and shit, just wish I could work and get free housing with my bros

Is the military right for me? Also what military jobs do you recommend?

I got a 75 on the asvab they offered in high school but I really hate any studying advanced shit so I dont think I would make the cut for complicated stuff
>>
can anyone tell me about mos 92W
>>
>>28484437
pls someone
>>
>>28484618
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=92w+mos
>>
>>28484636
i can google too senpai. i mean like daily life and shit like that. anyone here doing it?
>>
>>28484696
i did it in the civilian world, its fucking awesome. in the military i can imagine it being total shit.
>>
>>28484720
im a certified wastewater treatment plant operator in WA but am interested in joining and wanted to do something related. what did you do in the civilian world?
>>
>>28484735
water transfer and filtration in the oil and gas field
>>
>>28484756
did you reclaim the water or dump it somewhere? all of our water is potable but we dump it in the ocean
>>
>>28484781
both
>>
>>28484787
that interesting, maybe ill look into that
>>
>>28484805
if they frac in your state, they're hiring. look into water transfer or flowback, or an actual frac company like haliburton or universal well services or schlumberger. some water transfer companies are HWR or SolidOak or RockWater. PPS is a flowback company. have fun
>>
>>28484246
Yes because you don't have any fucking condition then do you?
>>
>>28484833
>if they frac in your state
they dont, guess ill look for something else. like you said i imagine it being shit in the military but i just wanted to ask
>>
>>28484857
Move to OH/WV/PA (you're from WA, you'll fucking hate it)
>>
>>28484851
no need to be an ass m8, i was wondering if they have a policy or something were they wont bother if you have ever been diagnosed with something
>>
>>28484877
ill hate living in OH/WV/PA or ill hate doing it in the military
>>
>>28484884
>m8

are you British or just really fucking gay?
>>
>>28484896
somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. thank you for answering my question
>>
>>28484893
both
>>
>>28484002
They're fucking with you, don't mention the shoplifting and cut back on the weed and you'll be fine
>>
>>28484909
well shit, is 92w the only water treatment type job in the military? i couldnt find anything else. really dont want to move out of wa
>>
>>28484896
check this wanker out lads
>>
>>28484253
What's your MOS?
>>
>>28484435
I mean if you hate complicated stuff the infantry is always simple but its your choice. Your not going to be living the high life but the paid expenses is nice
>>
>>28484940
92G
>>
>>28485081
Nice, always can use some more cooks
>>
>>28483118
If you have the grades, service academies are always a good way to go. Get payed to train and go to school and get a commission after school. Win-win
>>
Asked in a previous thread.

I want a 68W contract but my recruiter said that getting an op40 is unlikely but I can easily get an Airborne always needs whiskeys and I could get an option 4.

How likely am I to be able to drop a packet for RASP once I get past AIT?
>>
>>28485495
>no
>>
>choosing the be enlisted
Why? Enjoy that $33,000 a year retirement.
>>
>>28484940
Actual anon that you replied to here.
More than likely 11xOption40
>>
>>28485573
Military is what you make of it.
If you're a mean cunt you can go ranger, get out and PMC
Or you can settle for a bland life and make crumbs
>>
>>28485495
Funny.
Yesterday my recruiter showed me the jobs that were currently available.
Showed me 11x option 40
And showed me 68w
I figure if theres current slots for 11x option 40 why wouldn't there be for 68w with the option?
>>
>>28485495
>I want a 68W contract but my recruiter said that getting an op40 is unlikely but I can easily get an Airborne always needs whiskeys and I could get an option 4.

This will not guarantee you a spot in an Airborne company. All it does is guarantee you a spot in Jump School. You get your badge, but little else. You may still be assigned to hospital duty if the Army needs you there. Option 40 is not the same as Option 4.

>How likely am I to be able to drop a packet for RASP once I get past AIT

This is quite common, but you still have to get lucky and hope someone washes out of his spot and no one higher up on the priority tree wants yours.

Bottom line: as cool as being a line medic is, actually getting that position requires luck as much as anything else.
>>
>>28485628
>I figure if theres current slots for 11x option 40 why wouldn't there be for 68w with the option?

The Regiment probably needs more Rangers than medics
>>
I want to join the French Foreign Legion. Is this the thread for this?

Has anyone here been in the Legion? What's it like? How do you get in?
>>
>>28485697
http://desustorage.org/k/search/text/%2Fmeg%2F/type/op/
this is what i meant to link
search through the old threads
>>
>>28484002
smells like bullshit. Polygraphs are not trustworthy. Just be confident and believe in what your saying and the machine fails.
>>
>tfw passed 6 year mark last month in army

Kill me
>>
>>28485800
Whats your MOS
>>
>>28485868
92G
>>
>>28485896
Why would you ever willingly pick that MOS?
>>
>>28485908
This is the 2nd time this same fag posted that as a response to someone asking someone else what their MOS is
>>
>>28485646
>>28485646
>This will not guarantee you a spot in an Airborne company. All it does is guarantee you a spot in Jump School. You get your badge, but little else. You may still be assigned to hospital duty if the Army needs you there. Option 40 is not the same as Option 4.
Why would they do that? What's the point in giving someone their wings and then sending them to a non-airborne unit? Isn't that a giant waste of money?
>>
>>28485962
>Military Logic
>>
>>28484956
shit sounds alright to me
looked it up and google and these guys are bitching about sweeping and shit and going to their room to play video games
sounds like they are living the life to me
>>
>>28484002
I knew some retard who "waaah I can't lie" and when he tried to join the navy he told them about when he "cut" himself in middle school with fucking staples. They didn't let him in and made him come back to meps to talk to a therapist. And he actually went.

Been like 4 years and he still mopes about it.

>>28485868
68W ignore that nigger
>>
>>28485953
just having some fun every fag here is some option 40 11x or 68w
>>
>>28486024
Fuck you I'm a 92A
>>
>>28485962
>Why would they do that? What's the point in giving someone their wings and then sending them to a non-airborne unit? Isn't that a giant waste of money?

Needs of the Army. Sending you to Jump School means that they now have someone who can be put in an Airborne unit if need be. Of course, that doesn't mean they have the openings.

There's a lot of that in the Army: getting qualified for skills that you will never, ever use and littering your uniform with ever more useless badges.
>>
>>28486063
Whyyyyyyyyy
>>
>>28485697
>Has anyone here been in the Legion? What's it like? How do you get in?

I was in the LE from 2008-13. It fucking sucked. Don't do it.
Everything they sell you about the romance of the Legion is a lie.
Unless you literally have no other options, do not join the Legion.

Getting in is simplicity itself: you fly to France, go to a Legion recruiting center, of which there are many all around France, and hand them your passport. If you pass the physical tryouts, you're stuck for five years. If they don't want you, they hand you a couple of Euros for your trouble and ask you never to come back.
>>
>>28484250
Headed to lack land on feb. 2nd, so I might bump into you
>>
>>28486209
What are the physical tryouts? I thought enlistment was more difficult and involved a lot more testing?

Worst/best experience you're willing to share?
>>
>>28486459
Unlike the US military, where they take basically anyone, the Legion only takes ~10% of people who apply. So they give you a couple of mental tests, which basically just test if can you do basic math and solve simple logic puzzles and a bunch of physical tests: the beep test, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, climb a rope.

If you're not a complete moron, if you're not a fat fuck, if you pass a drug screen and the most cursory background check and if the legion has a quota to fill, you are in.

>Worst Experience?
When I finished intruction and got sent to my regiment, the 1ere REC, I thought I had finished the hard part. Instruction at Castelnaudary is defined by abuses suffered at the hands of sadistic coporals. That's tradition, I was OK with that. Once I was a Legionnaire, not just a recruit, and started working at my regiment, it got worse. The caporal-chefs are corrupt and incompetent, and nearly every caporal is part of this little mafia.
At that point, I honestly considered deserting. (Every Legionnaire has considered deserting multiple times.)

>Best Experience?
As strange as it sounds, being deployed. All soldiers hate peacetime, Legionnaires even more because the Legion (rightfully, in many cases) treats us all like criminals. All of the freedoms that normal French soldiers get, we were denied.
Going to war, however, was like waking up that first morning when you've got over a cold. All of a sudden you can breathe. At war, we had no more busywork, we were doing our jobs. It felt like being in the Legion had meaning, rather than just willingly being in jail for five years.
>>
>>28486618
>no mention of FAMAS
>>
>>28486638
1. It's a shitty rifle.
2. I was in the REC. My AMX-10 had a 105mm gun. That was far more interesting.
3. You think they actually let us have our rifles? A Legionnaire with a rifle makes every caporal and sergeant incredibly nervous. They limit the amount of time we are armed as much as possible.
>>
>>28486618
Thanks for the info, so garrison life in the FFL is basically hell?

>>28486681
I can only imagine, to them you were all liabilities waiting to happen I'm sure.
>>
If I meet with a recruiter on monday how long until I would go to meps?
I have a scar on my belly from a recent surgery thats gunna take another month or two to be completely invisible
>>
>>28486710
>so garrison life in the FFL is basically hell?

Pretty much. To be fair, you are "technically" allowed to leave every night provided you've completed your work, you get back in time for morning roll call, and you pass the inspection of the the guy on guard duty.

If that guy doesn't like you, though, don't plan on going out. He'll tell you to go back and iron your shirt or polish your boots or go shave or whatever. You have to bribe the guy, in short.

Also, you have to go out in your uniform. It makes you a magnet for stupid tourists, who want to take pictures with you as if you're the guys in front of Buckingham Palace. There was a simple rule: if you're a tourist, fuck off; if you're a tourist with kids, fuck off...stay in school, kids; if you're a pretty girl, take as many pictures as you like, sweetheart, you want to wear my kepi? Hey, there's a bar down the street, how about a few drinks...

One thing that uniform is good for is pulling tail. Wearing it instantly lets every girl in town know you're a bad boy.

Of course, there are plenty of bars that forbid Legionnaires to enter, what with our predilection for starting fights for no good reason. ("I wanted to get into a fight" is not a good reason to the police or the guys in the PM.)
>>
File: taxi-driver-jodie-foster-iris.jpg (133 KB, 1600x871) Image search: [Google]
taxi-driver-jodie-foster-iris.jpg
133 KB, 1600x871
Hey guys, Ive been doing a little bit of research about the Army. I looked at the Army website, and I made list of jobs that interested me.
I was hoping anybody who had any experience with these jobs could give me some info or opinions on them. I know its a mixed bag, but I'm really not sure what I want.
Right now my total PT score is 238 and getting better every week
The ASVAB I took online gave me an "87", but I dont think that was even an official practice test.

>11B Infantry
>13B Cannon
These two I was considering because I want to get the "real army experience"

>15T Black hawk mechanic
>15U Chinook mechanic
Do these require actual mechanical knowledge going in? I'm good at figuring mechanical things out, but have no professional experience working on engines.

>35F Intel Analyst
>35P Cryptologic Linguist
I speak decent Spanish and Portuguese, and very poor Russian

Thanks familia

TL;DR:
Tell me about the jobs posted above
>>
>>28487290
>multilingual

cryptolinguist for sure
>>
>>28487290
>11B, 13B
Don't do these. We are entering a peacetime phase and if you go in with these jobs, you will be sweeping grass, anything to keep you occupied.

>15T, 15U
No, these do not require prior knowledge. They will teach you everything you need to know. These are actually great jobs, since you get to fly with them as crew chief.

>35F, 35P
None of the languages you mentioned are in high demand, though if you know that many languages, you probably pick up new ones more quickly than some stumpfucker who lived in an English-only-this-is-Murrica state. These are good jobs if you do well on the DLAB.
>>
Hey guys
I've smoked weed almost half a dozen times, how do I go about talking to the guys at MEPS about this?
Like should I apologize and blame it on peer pressure or something?
>>
>>28487570
420blazeitfgt
>>
>>28487570
They don't give a shit. Just be honest.
There's a guy that watches you piss for your drug test.
Slip him 50 bucks and he'll piss in the cup for you.
You can pretty much smoke your entire career
>>
>>28487600
this
>>
>>28487600
>Just be honest.
This is a troll friends
NEVER be honest about something you can easily lie about
>>
>>28486905
That sounds shitty.
What are the upsides to being a Legionnaire?
>>
>2016
>signing an active duty contract

It's like you people actually like fuck-fuck games.
>>
How is being lifer in the army?
Considering becoming an officer so I can be a cunt to people and get paid for it.
>>
>>28487892
>Considering becoming an officer so I can be a cunt to people and get paid for it.
you'll fit right in here
>>
>>28487892
>How is being lifer in the army?
GETCHUR HANDS OUTTA YER POCKETS
WHERE'S YOUR REFLECTIVE BELT
YOUR HAIR ISNT IN REGS

And then wondering where everyone else's motivation has gone.
>>
>>28485585
Sweet another infantry bro, just to let you know though in my basic training we had a majority of people being 11C including me which meant that all the xrays would be Charlie's too.
>>
>>28487600
Tell your recruiter. They can test you before you go and make sure you're clean, some offer ways to cleanse your shit cause they're desperate for numbers.

I dunno though now I know during wartime they did that.
>>
>>28487892
Be an NCO instead.

Being fueled by hate makes being a dick more fun.
>>
I'm scheduled to take the DLAB next thursday. What sort of questions are on it? Do I actually have to study for it, or is it just basic stuff?
I'm also doing my MEPS physical the day before, what should I prepare for?
>>
>>28488212
48g said read a college English book beforehand, understand all parts of a sentence.
>>
>>28487850
>What are the upsides to being a Legionnaire?

The French "green card" equivalent is nice and the prime reason for joining for a lot of the guys from third world countries.

The best is when you're out and you talk to some US veterans, usually some guys who were deployed and saw no combat. You wait until the question comes, because they always ask, in that smug way like "I served and you didn't" way.
>"So, did you serve?"
And you mention you were in the Foreign Legion.
Their eyes go wide, like you just told them you went to Hell just to see what the big deal was.

As an ex-Legionnaire, anyone who knows you were in the Legion knows to pay you proper respect, and you can trash anyone who doesn't.
>>
>>28488478
>And you mention you were in the Foreign Legion.
>Their eyes go wide, like you just told them you went to Hell just to see what the big deal was.
seems like the only reason
>>
>>28488478
>like you just told them you went to Hell just to see what the big deal was.

To be fair that's pretty much the description you just gave us.

Do they at least let you train a lot since you're jailed on post for five years?
>Combat training, not PT
>>
what party should I be voting for in the general election if I enlist

do they care

will they ask
>>
>>28488637
they ask if you're registered to vote, not who you're voting for
>>
>>28485646
Different guy, but donot rasp laisons come to 68w ait and look for volunteers with killer pt scores like they sometimes do for 11x osut?
>>
>>28485663
>more rangers than medics
>implying medics at regiment aren't rangers
>>
>>28488134
>Be an NCO
Yeah, be broke as fuck. When you retire live in a trailer park town like the two in pic related.
>>
What branch should I join if I just wanna shoot guns and shit?
Im in good shape and don mind working out and stuff but I dont really like pushups ;lol
>>
Going in as AECF in the Navy with a pending Nuke Waiver. How tough is it to go from Enlisted to Officer? My recruiters an FC and he says he's actually waiting to see if he's eligible to apply, because he wants to he a helicopter pilot, and I was wondering how rare it is to become a pilot (specifically going from a non-aviation field to being a pilot). I also realize that if I do go Nuke I'd have little to no chance of leaving the nuclear field, but Nuclear Officer sounds good too.
>>
>>28483118
Are there any euros here?
There never seem to be euros here... ;_;
>>
>>28488539
>Do they at least let you train a lot since you're jailed on post for five years?

There is that. We do a fair amount of training. Different regiments do different things.

We practice tank maneuvers while the engineering regiments practice defusing mines while the infantry regiments practice...uh...marching.
>>
>>28489189
How good did your french have to be at the start?
>>
>>28489217
I happened to be fluent in French, but that has no bearing on whether or not you can be accepted.

They want someone who can run for days and has no conscience. If you don't speak French, that's OK, they'll teach you.

Since you're in France, the total immersion in the language will ensure you learn it quickly. Plus, the corporals will beat the fuck out of you if they catch you speaking anything other than French.
>>
>>28489019
You better learn to love pushups.
You like guns?
Go 18x and try to get weapons specialist
I think it's 18B.
You'll shoot and train with more guns than you've even heard of.
>>
File: 1436840170280[1].jpg (10 KB, 211x250) Image search: [Google]
1436840170280[1].jpg
10 KB, 211x250
>>28489336
> has no conscience
>>
>>28489336
So it's a penal unit?

>>28489360
How realistic of a goal is this? My old boss was a NG 18B during the 80's and it sounds like a dream job. Only man who could really talk weapons with me.
>>
>>28489386
You remember that quote from "Full Metal Jacket"?
>the Marines does not want robots. The Marines wants killers.

The Legion is the opposite. They want robots. Men who will follow orders without ever questioning their morality and/or legality.

If they are sadists or sociopaths when they're not at war, well hey, that's the price you have to pay.

I'm not kidding. They had us so conditioned to follow orders I would have burned an orphanage to the ground if ordered. When I got out and really considered what I'd done and what I was willing to do, I felt really bad.
>>
>>28488104
Do you know how much that matters if you make it into the 75th?
Would you still be a mortar grunt as a Ranger if you're 11C?
>>
>>28489468
Sort of. The French government founded the Legion in the 19th century to collect and dispose of all sorts of undesirables. Since their founding they've been used as a cat's paw for the French. Any place that it's not politically expedient to send French troops, they send the Legion.
In a large battle, the Legion always makes the first charge; in retreat, the Legion always is the rearguard. They've taken some horrific casualties over the years, but the French don't care, because they are Legionnaires, not French.
>>
>>28489532
So... it's a penal unit.
Sounds like the last place on earth you'd want to be, how the fuck did you end up there?

Also, what's life like now that you're out?
>>
>>28489582
>how the fuck did you end up there?

I was supremely bored with life. I was working an entry-level job in a field I hated. I was sick of my friends, family and girlfriend. I thought about the Marines, but I wanted to see if I could make it in the hardest, most fucked-up army on earth.

Now that I'm out, I can say I sort of miss it, but not really. Going to war was, not to put too much of a shine on it, great. Everything was always in-focus. Not being at war was fucking shit, boredom and being subject to the petty whims of sadists who would be in jail in their home countries.

I'm working now, basically in the same job that I left. I just took a vacation from being me for five years.

When I'm sitting in stupid-ass meetings at work, I really do think about going back.
>>
>>28489680
Did you come back with money in the pocket?
I know they hardly pay you shit but did you save?
>>
>>28489020
Basically impossible
>>
>>28489803
Yeah, I came back with some. The pay isn't that bad. It's still within the French minimum wage, after all. Some Americans I met in Afghanistan were surprised at how much we made. But shit costs a lot more in France.

I blew far too much of it while on trips to Paris and Nice. At one point, I bought my parents plane tickets to France so they could come visit me while I was on leave.
That was a fucking mistake. I had no idea how different I looked, but my father said I looked like an Auschwitz survivor. My mother put on a brace face. I entered the legion 183cm and 77kg. (Pretty thin.) When they saw me next, I was 68kg and that was up from the 62kg I was coming out of instruction. I looked like a skeleton to them. My head was shaved, I'd received a broken nose and I got "Legio Patria Nostra" and "Nec Pluribus Impar" tattooed on my arms.
>>
>>28489984
tell more stories pls.
>>
>>28489984
>Nec Pluribus Impar

okay, that's pretty cool
>>
What did you guys do after you served your contract?
>>
>>28489984
>>28489680
It sounds like you don't really regret joining the legion
I mean, you have a really unique experience that probably made you a harder, more focused person
>>
>>28490130
OK, here's a funny one. Probably the funniest I have.

My squadron was deployed to Afghanistan and we were on ops. We were set to link up with a platoon of US Marines. We were late getting there, and the Marines arrived ahead of us. When we got there, they were acting like we were enemy forces, screaming at us to drop our weapons and stand down.
In our tank they all looked at me because I'm American, so I know how to rectify this situation, so I stand up in the tank's cupola and start screaming profanities at them.
>What the fuck are you numbnuts doing?! Don't you point that fucking rifle at me, you dumb motherfucker! You think the Taliban has fucking tanks? Who the fuck is in charge of this circlejerk?!

Some poor schmuck lieutenant shows up, face full of zits. Kid's clearly just out of OCS or something. He doesn't know our rank insignia. He doesn't know shit. He assumes because I'm screaming at everyone I must be in charge. He starts babbling apologies. Then I introduce myself as a corporal. My guys are laughing, then the Marines start laughing. Everyone's pissing themselves. The lieutenant doesn't know what the fuck is going on until I apologize to him and salute him.
>>
>>28490307
goddamn please tell me you have more.

I was just a dumbass e2 in us army.

My only funny stories consist of settign the barracks on fire during basic and gettign away with it, then caving in the ceiling and gettign away with it again.
>>
>>28490307
fucking kek
>>
>>28490356
>My only funny stories consist of settign the barracks on fire during basic and gettign away with it, then caving in the ceiling and gettign away with it again.
Do tell
>>28490307
fucking kek man
>>
>>28490307
They... tey expected you to drop your tanks or something?

>What kind of stupid motherfucker takes a rifle up against a tank and orders the guy to drop his weapon?
>>
>>28490282
>It sounds like you don't really regret joining the legion
That one's complicated.

It did suck. Lord, did it suck. That broken nose I got was issued to me by a corporal because I corrected him. I shouldn't have done that, but he was, in fact, objectively wrong. I know he was wrong because he hit me with a wrench instead of just slapping me.

On the other hand, stories.

Part of me thinks I could have received an equivalent experience in the Marines, and I'd have the benefit of receiving veteran's benefits as well. As it is, I don't get shit.

When I look at my paycheck, I also realize that I retarded my own career by a half-decade. I'm doing entry-level shit while other people my age are well into their careers.

It really depends on my mood as to whether I regret it or just write it off as being a dumbass.
I'd probably know if I regretted it if I really had a good answer for myself when asked, "so why did you join?". I was bored doesn't quite cover all of it.
>>
>>28490382
stole an entire mre and proceeded to hide it in the ceiling in one part where the drills always forgot to look.

Then while on firegaurd i took that shit down and began to cook it when drill came to fuck our shit up.

while we are in formation i see the barracks with smoke coming out, I charge back in like a retard screaming "I FORGOT TO WEAR SOCKS" grab the shit out of the roof and dumb the water out then proceed to hide it again.

I got away with them not noticing the smoke but drill heard me and called me the dumbest goddamn person alive and smoked me til i thought i would die.

Later it took 3 fellow battles to beat my ass but it was worth it.
>>
File: Legionary3.25694516_std.jpg (55 KB, 560x842) Image search: [Google]
Legionary3.25694516_std.jpg
55 KB, 560x842
>>28490409
You know you could always try out some PMC work if it is something you really miss.

FFL sounds what the Marines should be nowadays
>>
>>28490356
So we link up the Marines. Lieutenant Noxema expects that I'm to be his liaison, because I speak English. Naw. We gave him this enormous black Legionnaire, whom we called Booba, after this French rapper. This guy was from Senegal. He was fucking enormous and black as coal. At high noon, his face was so black all you could see was his eyes and his teeth. (He was actually a total softie, just the nicest guy ever. Never had a cent to spend because he sent it all to his mother.)

Needless to say, the Marines were all terrified of him, even the black Marines, because he didn't speak English, so he didn't say anything.

When we got back to camp a few days later, again, our sides were obliterated. I don't know how Booba kept a straight face the whole time. We could always retreat back into our tanks to laugh.
>>
>>28490397
>What kind of stupid motherfucker takes a rifle up against a tank and orders the guy to drop his weapon?
A short-lived Marine, for one.
>>
>>28490547
Holy fucking shit thats great.
>>
File: 1452310302608.jpg (90 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
1452310302608.jpg
90 KB, 476x476
>>28490547
Reading up on the Legion now

God damn, i know that it's full of criminals and all around cunts like every military, but it's just so much more damn appealing than joining the ADF like i was planning on doing.
>>
>>28490626
Dont do it, it's a trap
>>
>>28487570
LITERALLY JUST FUCKING TELL THEM YOU DONT SMOKE

JESUS CHRIST WHEN WILL THIS
>MUH HONESTY THEYLL UNDERSTAND

NO THEY FUCKING WONT AND YOU SHOULD JUST MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF
>>
>>28490443
So you're just a total fucking retard.

People like you need to be beat with soap in a sock.
>>
File: putihmback.gif (4 MB, 300x242) Image search: [Google]
putihmback.gif
4 MB, 300x242
>>28490726

I understand this fellows frustrations about all the fucking choir boys than want to tell their recruiter they smoked weed. YOUR RECRUITER DOESNT CARE
>>
>>28490626
Got a mate who was in legion for a bit and he loved it. Climb the rope to bed or sleep on the ground. Har shit breeds hard people
>>
>>28490709
>MFW reading that
>>
This seems like the short bus MEG.
>>
File: 1448842400995.jpg (22 KB, 189x190) Image search: [Google]
1448842400995.jpg
22 KB, 189x190
>>28490726
This

rule of thumb
if t doesnt affect your fitness and isnt life threatening, dont tell them
>>
>>28490626
Yeah, listen to >>28490709

I'm telling funny stories. No one needs to be depressed.

I can tell you about going through instruction on about 1000 calories per day. (Another bizarre Legion tradition.) The corporals walk around the dining room and will stop you and point at something on your plate. If you can't identify it in French, they will take it and eat it in front of you.

I can tell you about developing a very sanguine attitude toward the idea of personal property, because the Legion is fucking full of thieves. I had my wallet stolen before I even signed my Legion contract.

I can tell you about La Mafia Russe, which is all the Russian recruits and how the received absurdly preferential treatment from the Russian corporals. Just beyond the pale. Similarly, I can tell you about how stone-hard the Polish Legionnaires are because Russians despise Poles and did everything they could to make the Polish recruits desert or kill themselves.
>>
File: 1449749315595.jpg (28 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1449749315595.jpg
28 KB, 400x267
>>28490768
>>28490772
It's something i might have to consider, actually.
Certainly seems more appealing than trying to be infantry in a country that hasn't deployed armor since Vietnam.

>>28490547
We're there many Aussies in the Legion?
>>
>>28490798
Thank fuck im not a pole then.
>>
>>28490816
If you join a literal volunteer penal unit while a former member is trying to warn you away, you are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>28490743
actually since i was the biggest guy there it didnt work out that way.
>>
>>28490816
There used to be way more Australians and Brits in the Legion, back in the 90's and before.

Since the fall of the Soviet Union, they've been driven out by Eastern Bloc guys.

As I understand, most of the Commonwealth guys go towards the REP. I can remember four Aussies in my regiment, but one of them may have been from New Zealand. There are probably more.

The thing to remember is that there's an unspoken agreement that no one talks about one another's past, including where they're from. The guy who speaks only Chinese? He might be from Vancouver. We don't ask, we don't know, we don't want to know.
>>
>>28490881
>Big and dumb
>Causes everyone else problems
>Fat ass is soooo huuuungry he has to sneak meals and almost fucks up a building
>Selfish bitch

Nevermind, they need to put a bullet in the back of your head
>>
>>28487290
>15T Black hawk mechanic
>>15U Chinook mechanic
Piggybacking on this
What one is better if I wanna fly?
>>
File: 1448893985019.jpg (82 KB, 788x761) Image search: [Google]
1448893985019.jpg
82 KB, 788x761
>>28490891
>The guy who speaks only Chinese? He might be from Vancouver.
cheeky fucker

Ivan and Vlad dominate the legion then, eh?

Ah well, even though i do understand the warnings you're putting out, i just meant it might be something to think about.

It actually sounds like there's a legitimate esprit de corps to it compared to other modern Army's and somehow i just find that pretty fucking appealing.
>>
>>28490935
found the DI
>>
>>28490935
>did best at the range
>in best group at pt
>was the fucking idiot who always volunteered to be a battle buddy
>later at my unit continued helping out when we were getting fucked

big yes
dumb mildly
fatass no
selfish no

you probably didnt even fucking serve.
>>
>>28490974
>there's a legitimate esprit de corps

That, I can tell you for certain, does not exist. In large part, we all hate one another. The only time we stick up for one another is when we're deployed. (When we Legionnaires are all reminded how fucking low on the totem pole we really are.)
>>
>>28490974
He's saying the exact opposite of that
>Racial rivalry
>Abuse and corruption par the course for every officer
>Thevery and shit by fellow soldiers
>More abuse, especially if they're in the wrong
>Drop you like a bad habit at the end.
>>
Ive never shot a gun in my life
Will I be fugged at Army basic?
>>
File: 1427887056360.png (50 KB, 212x218) Image search: [Google]
1427887056360.png
50 KB, 212x218
>>28491018
Well, thats disappointing
so i should stick with the Australian Defense Force then?
sweeping rocks and dusting sand for the next few years or so
>>
>>28491081
They train you dumbass
>>
>>28491081
unless you start crying like a toddler, you'll be fine

try not to muzzle sweep the DI or the RO and you'll be fine
>>
>>28491081
No.

>>28491085
Join the military in your home country so you get benefits when you're out.
>>
>>28491085
Kapooka is fun man. Corporals are fkn sweet but firm. Im week 6 atm and i wanna come back as an RI
>>
>>28491081
No, retart. Just do what you're told. Listen and do it exactly as they say
>>
>>28491081
No, the newbies tend to shoot better than the fudds. No habits is better than bad habits.
>>
>>28486905

You no longer wear your uniform going out. Ever since the whole terrorists targeting soldiers thing. Now you actually aren't ALLOWED to wear it out, and have to wear civvie clothes.
>>
File: 1446881842320.jpg (417 KB, 2048x1224) Image search: [Google]
1446881842320.jpg
417 KB, 2048x1224
>>28491115
>tfw you are 11 months away from enlisting in the ADF
>tfw nearly one year till kapooka
>tfw you are gonna love the military whether or not it's "fun"
>>
>>28491108
Alright, i will

thank you for talking me out of it mate
>>
>>28491115
I'll be at kapooka in July, what should I expect?
>>
>>28491206
F U N
>>
Given 18 months, how fit could one realistically get, from being a skinnyfat weakling? I dunno what I want to do but I want to be fit as fuck when I do it.
>>
>>28491318
Current fitness level?
>Pushups
>Pullups
>Crunches
>2 Mile run
>>
>>28491318
18 months is definitely more than enough. Very, very fit considering you put some modicum of effort.
>>
>>28489522
11C in the 75th have to lug around all their mortar shit on top of the 65 lbs of shit you already have.
Have fun rucking and jumping with all that.
>>
>>28491318
you can get into basic shape in 6 months

also, >>/fit/
>>
>>28491356
30 PU
40 SU
15:00 2 mile
2 good arms locked pullups
>>
>>28491359
What if I want to go from failing the fitness test to a 290-300?
>>
>>28490443
>absolute madman
>>
>>28487290
If you want the real army life I'd go 13F (forward observer), you get to roll with the infantry yet be an artilleryman

-4 years as 13B
-6 years as 13A
>>
>>28487892
That is not the attitude you need to have to be an officer...if this is the attitude you have, your Soldiers will make sure you're not successful
>>
>>28491516
we were playing sock football in the barracks at reception when i managed to punch a whole in the roof when i jumped for ht ball.
>>
>>28490798
>No one needs to be depressed.
im sorry but i need to be that guy... What is the least depressing story?
>>
>>28487939
>not going the SOF route and never hearing any of the gay shit
>>
>>28484250
Im in Lackland right now! Im Navy, though.
>>
>>28491710
>Doing PT for 12 hours a day
>sleeping in a tent even on base
No thanks
>>
>>28491760
That sounds fun as fuck.
>>
>>28491360
Shit.
Hope I don't end up a Charlie
>>
Hey friends, I'm trying to get into the Coast Guard.. can I post here too? :)
>>
>>28491760
it's really not like that, more like

>Lift some weights for an hour or two
>Go back home and beat your wife or go back to the barracks and drink until you pass out
>>
>>28491760
my best friend is an 18E, just graduated freefall and just got to Carson.

stop making shit up.
>>
File: waco-siege.jpg (302 KB, 990x343) Image search: [Google]
waco-siege.jpg
302 KB, 990x343
>>28491792
try the national guard and you might see some of this pretty soon
>>
>>28491760
>>28491770
>>28491812
What if you try out for SOF and dont make it?
Do you get to re pick your MOS?
Im a 250 on the APFT currently and climbing up a little bit each week
But if I didnt get SF Im worried id get dumped in the 11B septic tank, if im not "operating" Id rather at least learn a trade
>>
Any fuckers on here been a 19k
Tanks make me drool and I would think firing off a round would give anyone a boner
>>
>>28491841
I'm not sf man I just work with them

but if you wash out of 18x you usually stay 11b and go to Bragg or some airborne infantry unit. If you go to selection as whatever mos you are and wash out you stay that mos.
>>
>>28491858
>tfw inside of a big tin can at Fort Irwin in 110F heat
>cant tell if your uniform is drenched with sweat/water/or piss because you've drank gallons of water but havent peed
>>
>>28491841
you wouldnt just be an 11B.

you'd be sent to the 82nd.

doesnt that sound like fun :D

fort bragg and all the fuck fuck games you can handle

also you'll be able to look across the parking lot and see what all those cool green beret fellas are doing.

and it'll probably make you want to kill yourself, knowing that they made it. and that could be you, while you wash rocks and mop concrete.

but you'll be airborne! boy howdy you're better than everyone else, because your life sucks harder than anyone else.

god writing this made me want to cut my balls off.
>>
>>28491885
18x washout I assume?
>>
>>28491885
>>28491841
>not going 11B opt 40
>>
>>28491884
doesn't matter had tank man
plus those boots are rad
>>
>>28491710
>implying SOF don't hear all that gay shit 80% of the time too
>>
>>28491904
>Ever going any option that ends with "You washed out like a million others, go directly to infantry"

>Not going in as a real MOS and going to SF selection
>>
>>28491884
>>28491909
Also were you a 19k? Did that drenched with mysterious liquid story actually happen to you?
>>
>>28491895
nah i never went that route.

i mentioned this earlier in the thread but my best friend, we'll call him john, just finished freefall after getting his long tab. he told me all about it, aside from the confidential stuff he couldn't.

when i was active i heard about bragg all the fucking time. other best friend of mine was 11b in the 172nd when they went to shenaniganistan for the second time. he heard all about that shit.

a lot of the time john said that shit kept him going above all else; that he didnt want to be in fucking bragg with all the tryhard 18X washouts.

i don't blame him.

he was never not going to make it though. kid was born to be SF.
>>
>>28491923
So do you MOS for a couple years then drop the packet? Cause you can't pick an MOS with 18x right?
>>
File: 1446841850093.jpg (20 KB, 400x274) Image search: [Google]
1446841850093.jpg
20 KB, 400x274
>Had huge varicocele (lump) on my left ball
>didnt cause pain but would stop me from joining
>got varicocele surgery a month ago so I could enlist
>it shrunk but is still there
Hold me bros
The military was literally my only option
>>
>>28491885
SF still has to wash rocks and mop concrete.
>>
>>28491957
LOL
>>
>>28491957
No.
>>
>>28491920
nah bro never heard any of those thing, been two months without a haircut as well

>>28491956
I was in the same boat got the surgery before I shipped so I didn't need a waiver. Damn that shit hurts.
>>
>>28492021
And you're SF right?
>>
>>28491760
You don't know any green berets in person do you?
>>
>>28492048
nope just support for them that proves my point even further
>>
>>28491356
>>28491430
?
>>
>>28491957
Wrong
>>
>>28492086
Just hit the gym and do cardio any working out is better than no working out. If you want to be /mil/ fit just do push up/sit ups before bed and maybe throw in some foot marches
>>
>>28492064
No because they are all to busy drilling and doing PT every waking moment
>>
>>28492071
>>28492021
You get any info on what kills the most washouts?
>>
>>28492097
Not wrong.
SF isn't CAG.
>>
>>28492152
rucking and injuries, land nav in the dark. I don't know what reasons are for the non selects though.
>>
Australian SF any good?
The Regiment sounds fun, like the English SAS but with more banter.
>>
>>28492292
oi mate
>>
>>28492277
Fuck man, that scares me
>Get hurt, not something entirely in your control
>Whelp, better fuck off and wash rocks, have fun.

I think that's why I'd rather go in as another MOS and then try for SOF
>>
>>28492277
Do you think someone should learn how to land nav in shitty conditions prior to selection?
>>
>>28492395
You wouldn't make it with that attitude.
>>
>>28492430
Yeah it's pretty important you land nav in the complete darkness in the shitty Fort Bragg terrain with no lights while moving. Even people in the military have trouble with land nav and the little bit of land nav you do get in basic is not enough.

>>28492395
Selection's not going any where.
>>
>>28492438
This pisses me off more than anything else I hear.

>Having a fallback/backup plan/safety net is for pussies if you plan for a less than optimal outcome you'll fail automatically

Yeah! Lets all be gung ho retards and fuck plan B, we don't need no stinking backup that's pussy talk! Then when shit goes south, because shit has a tendency to happen, we can end up totally fucked like retards with our thumbs up our asses.
>But it's okay because Marky Mark will make a movie covering that stupidity up

What the fuck is up with this attitude? What if you fuck up an ankle during land nav? Some shit is not in your control.
>>
>>28492482
Cool, I live in AK, all the time in the world for getting intimate with my compass.
>>
>>28492499
Plans A-Y are all actually plan A.
Plan Z is your backup.
>>
>>28492534
Well, just so long as you don't plan for failure right? We never fail ever so long as we just believe in ourselves?
>>
>>28492482
>Selection's not going any where
You need to be in MOS 2 years before you can apply to selection right?
>>
>>28492153
You don't know any SF in person do you, retard?
>>
>>28492543
It's all presentation and attitude.
Never plan for failure, plan for a delay in plan A's success
>>
Anyone here Navy? I'd like to enlist as a master at arms. What's Navy boot camp like? Any advice you guys can give would be appreciated.
>>
>>28492629
Jesus christ dude, seriously?

>If you call it something else it's not failing

Guess what, you go 18x and break your ankle in a root hole on night land nav, you FAILED. Now, do you want to recover in a worth a shit MOS? Or wash rocks in a cast?
>>
>>28492666
I'm just telling you what they want to hear.
Obviously if you fuck yourself you fail, no one is debating that.
>>
>>28492686
>what they want to hear.
SF wants people that leap without thinking and turn potential options into all or nothing fights to the death?

I know that you're fucked if you don't keep the "I'm GOING to make it" mindset once in selection, but purposefully making a washout more career destroying before even getting in is pants on head retarded
>>
>>28492686
>>28492739
Just to be clear, I agree with totally ignoring the possibility of failure once you've actually started selection, you're there and the only option is to pass at the top of the class.

But why set yourself up for failure if something goes wrong?
>>
>>28492771
I never said don't have a backup, you just need to act like the backup is a distant thought that you don't even consider failure as a possibility.
In other words, I'm pretty sure we're saying the same thing basically.
>>
>>28492811
Agreed, we were reading two paragraphs on the same page and got hung up on semantics.

>Build a failure proof plan
>Have a safety net incase god fucks you
>Commit 100% and shoot to not just pass but be 1st place at everything
>>
This thread makes me want to be in the fucking Legion. Shit sounds way more cash than conventional military.
>>
File: ....png (90 KB, 521x406) Image search: [Google]
....png
90 KB, 521x406
>>28491957
Even fresh faced Ranger Babies don't get put on shit details like that. If you think some E-6 in Group is out there vacuuming the parking lot, you're fucktarded.
>>
>>28492880
>fucktarded
God damn I love that term.

Hey, I know it's not your zone, but can you answer >>28492566 and do you think someone should go in 18x or as a relevant MOS then enter for selection?
>>
>>28491359
>18 months is definitely more than enough. Very, very fit considering you put some modicum of effort.
Fit enough to be a PJ?
>>
How the fuck do I do a god damn pullup, is this shit seriously that hard or am I just an unequaled pussy?
>>
>>28493158
You probably have no shoulder strength.

Stop trying to do pullups. Instead, do reverse pullups. Use something to stand on or else jump up to meet the pullup bar and get as high as you can. Ideally, you should be at the 'top' of the pullup. Then, slowly lower yourself down over the span of 10-15 seconds. You're doing just the 'down' part of the pullups.

Do 3 sets of 10 every couple days and soon you'll be able to do pullups.
>>
>>28493202
Thanks man! It's nice to get an answer other than "Don't be weak"
Any other exersizes I can do to supplement?
>>
>>28493235
Assisted pullups are good if you have the equipment. Also lat pull downs.
>>
File: 1445681936029.jpg (56 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1445681936029.jpg
56 KB, 500x385
>>28493235
wheres /fit/ guy when you need him...

As 48G said, reverse pull ups, and try just having the bar low and pull up into it.
i used that for when i was tryint o work on my pushup endurance

it's basically easy pussy pull ups, but it helps.

also, focus on some cardio.
it helps to lift shit but it means fuck all if you cant run with said shit.
>>
>>28493264
Thanks, running is all I'm doing at the moment. Big guy, need to drop weight.

>>28493256
My roommate will help if I pay for the doorframe pullup bar so he can use it.
>>
>>28493288
if you're a big guy and you are struggling with running, look into dietary changes as well.

maybe go on bike rides as well.
>>
>>28493295
Actually running is going well, I took up couch to 5k on the advice of someone on here. My track got turned into an ice rink for speed skating by the city so I strap on ice cleats and run the park on the grass.

There is a hill in my run too, so every four minutes I charge up a hill like I'm gonna kill someone at the top.
>>
>>28493327
>There is a hill in my run too, so every four minutes I charge up a hill like I'm gonna kill someone at the top.

Mad dog Mattis would be proud of you, son
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.