[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WAR IS HELL GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14
My Godfather was a career Marine and served 4 combat tours in Vietnam. I asked him what the most realistic Vietnam movie was and he said without hesitation Forest Gump. Jungle combat is just absolute fucking point blank chaos and you have no idea what the fuck is going on. Most of the time though its just walking through the jungle endlessly through razor grass and monsoons, followed by very short periods of blinding unimaginable violence. He told me that on two separate occasions his platoon was ambushed at a distance of less than 10 yards, and on another occasion a man in his platoon literally stepped on a gook thats how close they were. He said they were so close you could tell if they had shaved their faces recently. "Close enough to spit on them" as he put it. Hand to hand combat, bayonet fighting, and resorting to beating enemies with rocks and sticks was not unheard of. A man in his platoon also Mike Tysone'd a guy. Took a good hunk of his face off with his mouth before driving a bayonet through his skull. He also told me a story where they captured about a dozen unarmed teenage aged kids acting as scouts. Instead of reporting it, and dragging them 2 days back through the jungle they just fucking greased em all on the spot and pissed on their bodies.
>>
No one cares. And that's not a war, that's just gore posting. We have /b/ for that.
>>
>>28465091
>I asked him what the most realistic Vietnam movie was and he said without hesitation Forest Gump.
LOL. When I was a kid I recall a number of WW2 vets who told me the most authentic war movie was Kelly's Heroes. They liked the scene where the Shermans came through the tunnel and wiped out the krauts the best. That got it right, they said, and laughed and clapped each other on the shoulder.

At the time I thought it was just because they dug it because of some kind of wish-fulfillment -- pal around with movie stars, get rich, be rebellious, etc. It wasn't until I was much, much older that all their griping about Army bureaucracy, their genuine fear of German armor, and the way we used our *own* armor -- to run over their infantry, a la Donald Sutherland -- sprang into focus.

Sometimes Hollywood gets it right when it's only half serious. Link related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4lVoCFZvk
>>
File: kommando vietnam story.png (99 KB, 1084x1613) Image search: [Google]
kommando vietnam story.png
99 KB, 1084x1613
>>28465137
War-related gore is 100% /k/, newfag. Check your privilege.
>>
>>28465091
How about We Were Soldiers? They get pretty up-close-and-personal in that movie.
>>
>>28465155
And again, tripfag, the webm wasn't war related.
>>
'Nam stories? 'Nam stories. My pops tells me all of the light-hearted ones mainly because he does like talking about the hard shit.

>be muh pops in '68
>infantryman, lugged an M60
>walks out of his barracks room due to some commotion in the hall
>long ass line of GIs, his whole platoon, in the hall
>he walks to the front of the line to see what's up
>one man shouts "Hey, man, wait your turn!"
>pops just waves him off and says "I just wanna see what's up."
>pops pushes through some beads hanging from door
>sees two men on either side of a Vietnamese prostitute
>guys in the motorpool would sneak hookers from the local town into the camp by hiding them in empty water buffalos and pocket some of the cash
>whore is squatting over a bucket with jizz dribbling out of her
>he nopes out of there
>says after a few hours he saw her running down the hall screaming "NO MORE GI, NO MORE GI"
>>
I went to a river to fish with my dad when i was 16, guy who normally goes there named Eddie saw me sharpening a knife i had and showed me his, it was razor sharp.

We talked a bit and he said to come over by his car and he'd show me the stones he uses. Now keep in mind this isnt some stranger, the man is friends with everyone so i trust him. So he goes ahead and touches my knife up for me since im not too good.

I ask Eddie how he got that good and he says he learned from a guy in Vietnam. I ask him questions about Vietnam and what it was like since he seemed happy about the whole thing.

He told me he could show me, he pulled dozens of pictures from his glovebox.

Mutilated people, gore, dead children, close ups of wounds, and the one that fucked me up most was a picture of a banged up naked Vietnamese girl bathing in a river. But its because of the story which id rather not write in detail.

Long story short him and 3 other people had sex with her for a few hours, buddy spoke a little Vietnamese and told her to clean herself up. and then the Eddie shot her after she cleaned up in the river.

>tl;dr Vietnam Vet shows me pictures of gore, people he killed and tells me a story about him and some buddies gang raped a girl and killed her.

She only looked 15
>>
>>28465091
>getting ambushed at 10 yards

Jesus must have been a bloodbath.

He ever tell you how many of his own platoon got killed though in those scraps?

Or would that shut him up and make him start sending death threats to vietnamese pho shops.
>>
>>28465161
Id say that was a pretty realistic depiction.

Watch Chosin if you want a very realisitic and firsthand account of how South East Asians tend to fight wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd8LDdbfIFY
>>
File: yawn1.jpg (17 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
yawn1.jpg
17 KB, 320x214
ITT made up faggotry created by English majors at the local community college.
>>
>>28465253
>Korea
>SEA

Brah, that's as North as East Asia can be without getting into Siberia.
>>
File: 1367472518109.jpg (4 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1367472518109.jpg
4 KB, 160x160
>>28465244
Another one

>muh pops hanging out with some green berets at the end of a runway one night smoking pot
>dad's a quiet man
>says he prefers to hang out with the spec ops guys because they don't talk nearly as much as the regulars
>listening to the radio that the guy in the watchtower is playing
>smokes most of the night away, goes to bed
>next morning they find the watchtower is filled with arrows
>gooks were using the sound of the radio to try to hit the guard
>none of the guards were ever hit
>their faces when
>>
>>28465319
Next one's basically about how my dad survived the rest of the war

>pops got drafted when he got out of college
>had a degree so they offered him an officer position
>officer? In the infantry? fuck that, pops don't wanna get shot
>pops has been lugging his m60 for about 4 months in country
>meets up with some dude he went to highschool with
>dude's getting out in the next couple weeks
>dude is a pencil pusher
>"Hey, anonpops, you want my job when I go?"
>pops jumps all over that shit, he don't wanna get shot
>spends the rest of the war at a desk
>>
>>28465247
That's fucked up, shame that guys like him give all the other vietnam vets a bad name. Namely being secret kid killing rapists who feel no remorse..

Imagine all the SOF guys who had a lot more discipline and courage or worked with native troops a lot more, but still got spit on for having that same nasty rep.

Sigh, conscripts. Not even once.
>>
>>28465091
>>
File: 123123563466.gif (1 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
123123563466.gif
1 MB, 235x240
>>28465091
>>
>>28465273
Dude I'm not a fucking geopolitical expert. Regardless, when slopes go to war, you cannot imagine the brutality and human cost of their mass wave attacks. That's my point here. This goes back to the dark ages, the han and shinto dynasties. Look at WWII, where something like 1 marine had to die for every 20 square yards of territory conquered on some bumfuck deserted island. Those fuckers are fanatical fighters.
>>
>>28465273
>Vietnam
>SEA
Brah, that's as west as South Asia can be without getting into Afghanistan.
>>
>>28465373
Of course they were fanatical

>dirty roundeyes coming to burn our homes and rape our women

Every defending force would be just as fanatical, as long as most of them weren't modern liberals, who would simply welcome their new overlords with spread buttcheeks.
>>
>>28465399
This.

Brits didn't rape and got way better results in malaysia.
>>
>>28465399
Although I agree with most of whst you're saying...

The shit goes back thousands of years, literally since the dawn of recorded human history. I seriously hope you arent implying it started in 1941
>>
>>28465333
checked
>>
>>28465373
WW2 marines were fucking retarded in their strategy.

>hurr lets rush a shitload of defensive japs in their fortresses and have the bloodiest conflicts in ww2 american history for nothing.

Should have just backed up China like Britain after Germany surrendered and proceeded to crush and starve out the isolated jap islands.
>>
>>28465424
Of course not. It's the same reason men and women alike are suspicious of any new guys that comes into their social scene. When we were evolving, the only time you saw a man you didn't know was if he was from another tribe. If he was from another tribe, chances are he wants to kill you to take your women and food.
It's as instinctive as it gets.
>>
>>28465424
>started in 1941

Of course not, the whole reason men and women alike are suspicious of new men in social situations is because, when we were evolving, seeing a male you didn't know already meant you were seeing someone from another tribe. If he was from another tribe, he was there to take your food and rape your women.

It's as instinctive as it gets.
>>
File: 1317275628535.jpg (22 KB, 444x322) Image search: [Google]
1317275628535.jpg
22 KB, 444x322
>>28465443
>>28465491
Fuckin god damnit
>>
>>28465442
I want to respond to this... But I don't even know where to start. This is possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read, and I've been on /k/ for 7 years. I've seen some shit... But holy shit
>>
>>28465516
>shitposting this hard.

Refute it or shut it.

The choice is yours bitch.
>>
>>28465553
>>28465442

Nigger, you're dumb as shit.
>>
Saw a dude stub his little toe so bad he almost tore it off in basic.
I think that counts.
>>
File: thebestofus.png (6 KB, 369x369) Image search: [Google]
thebestofus.png
6 KB, 369x369
>>28465553
>>28465570
>>
There was a British man that lived here since the 1970s (I'm Austrian). He was very polite, thin, quite and active. He went shooting at my range and was extremely well liked. When I was younger he would go home to England for Christmas but leave his land open for us to sledge and play on. His wife was Austrian but he was the only foreigner in the village.

Anyway, he died and had his funeral here. Lots of very serious looking men in sand and maroon coloured berets turned up to see him off. Turns out he was a former SAS Warrant Officer and had done Korea, Malaya, Kenya, Aden and Borneo.

He never told us any war stories but I bet he had some intense ones. Most of the time he just talked about skiing and climbing. In a way I kind of prefer that, he had nothing to prove to anyone.

tl;dr if someone tells you a war story they probably made it up
>>
File: chopchopsavvy.jpg (87 KB, 1090x1367) Image search: [Google]
chopchopsavvy.jpg
87 KB, 1090x1367
>>28465420
>Malayan Emergency
>British not being nasty
They got up to their fair share of unpleasantness.
>>
>>28465355

Slavs must squat even when dancing. Truely a curse on their race.
>>
>>28465570
So you have no retort to the retarded cost of the island hopping campaign?

Thanks for playing troll, try harder.
>>
File: mI83D17.jpg (17 KB, 539x303) Image search: [Google]
mI83D17.jpg
17 KB, 539x303
Heard a story from my friend's grandpa who was an Infantryman in Vietnam.
There was this village they were close to, and they'd always be around there interacting with the locals, handing out candy to the kids, etc. This one little girl got really close to him, and she'd talk to him whenever they were in the village.

One day, a kid goes up to him and hands him a can of soda. This kid wasn't older than 12. The girl starts yelling "No, don't drink! It's a 10!" Apparently, the gooks were canning their own soda and poisoning some of them. Poison sodas were marked with a number 10. He looks on the bottom of the can, and there it is stamped on there, 10.

The boy freaks out and starts running away, the soldiers opened fire and took him out. Not really sure what happened in the aftermath, if it had an effect on village relations. But that happened.
>>
File: 14492417362171.png (220 KB, 640x412) Image search: [Google]
14492417362171.png
220 KB, 640x412
>>28466276
>muh civilians
People wonder why villages get torched
>>
>>28465091
Damnit, put a tourniquet on him!
>>
File: 1450680227409.gif (3 MB, 406x300) Image search: [Google]
1450680227409.gif
3 MB, 406x300
>>28465091
>everyone's just standing around with their thumb up their ass
>>
>>28465091
How does your Grandfather feel about the US loss in Vietnam?

If only he and the other Cowards in the Army had some balls we could have won the goddamn War.
>>
File: 1430849082903.png (2 MB, 1386x1385) Image search: [Google]
1430849082903.png
2 MB, 1386x1385
>>28466444
Shitty b8 bruh. What a waste of trips
>>
>>28466444
Trips of truth.
>>
>>28466462
At some level he is right you know.

If US Army '''men''' acted more like soldiers and less like mercenaries, there might have been some chance of victory.

Instead everybody in Vietnam came to hate them for acting like animals as well as civilians in America.
>>
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Beheaded_dick-in-mouth.jpg

From Tunisia.
>>
>>28466511
>Instead everybody in Vietnam came to hate them for acting like animals as well as civilians in America.
>everybody in Vietnam
>everybody

Nigger you dumb.
>>
>>28466511
I don't understand the last part of your post. By and large most of the men who went to Vietnam preformed what was expected of them. Most of that Apocalypse Now shit is the exception not the rule.

Yes there were whores, yes there was search and destroy, yes there was drug use. But it's not like the US Army was running around the jungle like a reincarnated Einsatzgruppen
>>
>>28466547
Vietcong were just civilians from the South who came to hate US occupation.

As time went on their numbers grew exponentially, reaching peak in the Tet Offensive that officially ended political support in America for the War.

If the US army hadn't acted like Slavs in WW2, they might have had a chance. Instead they they chose to act like Vatnik invading Berlin.
>>
>>28466524
>https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Beheaded_dick-in-mouth.jpg
clearly Algeria
>>
I only have one story from my uncle sonny who did 3 voluntary tours in nam.

He only likes to talk about it when he's drunk as fuck and forgets that he's a hard core converted christian now

>be uncle
>2nd tour, seen some shit already
>gotta get some cherry ass LT or officer type and deliver him to the FOB
>uncle picks him up, proceeds in their convoy back to fob
>drives through small town to get there
>some bull shit occurs so their convoy is stopped for a few moments
>happy vietnamese girl begins to walk towards my uncles and the new blood's jeep
>she has a basket of fruit she wishes to bestow upon the wonderful gi's
>uncle shoots her in the face with a 12 gauge when she gets close without warning
>new guy isn't pleased with his VC blood baptism after being in country for a few hours and decides to promptly freak out
>they find out the basket of fruit had hidden grenades in it, chick was gonna suiicde bomb their asses
>new guy asks my uncle how he knew she was up to no good
>he replied "She was walking to fast"
>>
>>28466592
The Tet Offense broke the back of the VC. Militarily it was a disaster for them. They got their shit pushed it. What made it a turning point was how it was potrayed in the media
>>
File: 1241273.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1241273.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>28466606
Wew lad
>>
>>28466617
It didn't matter.

'Media', contrary to /k/ belief, was strongly on the side of the US Army and in support for the War for the vast majority of the time. Once again, it was the reports and rumors of Human Rights violations that broke the civilian Media support. Tet Offensive was the tipping point for them, after years of being forced to parrot the Army propaganda lines. The situation was evidently not in control, and they did not have the wide-spread support of even the South Vietnamese people.
>>
what the fuck happened in op webm?
>>
We won in Vietnam by the time we pulled out. But when the Dems got control of Congress, they cut off funding to the South Vietnamese military so they couldn't adequately fight back against the North, which was still controlled by the Soviets and Chinese.

Saw a pretty good video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqYGHZCJwk
>>
File: Ustados_Unidos.png (265 KB, 1190x714) Image search: [Google]
Ustados_Unidos.png
265 KB, 1190x714
>>28466717
Mexico happened.

Coming soon to an America near you!
>>
>>28466744
>Declassified documents reveal US Army had no long term strategy nor win conditions in Vietnam
>He thinks a victory was possible

Vietnam was a bunch of incompetent military idiots running around getting shot at and butchered without any real strategic goals or overarching strategy of 'beating' the NVA. Their lives and deaths were meaningless. It was like taking out the trash.

You don't beat communism by building military bases, you beat it by building McDonalds and selling Coke.

>>28466764
What the fuck is this? OP picture is obviously somebody taking a mortar round Syria. Don't be stupid.
>>
I met a guy who was a sergeant in 'nam.

>Capture gook on potrol
>on chopper back, start trying to question the guy
>Charlie don't talk
>Sargeanon puts his foot on his chest and pushes out the door

Sorry if that's kinda vague. He doesn't bring it up much.
>>
>>28466819
That guy doesnt look Syrian at all, cuck
>>
>>28466881
>cuck

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>28466893
>Opinion discarded.

cuck.
>>
>>28466911
>cuck.

cuck.
>>
>>28465751
This...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batang_Kali_massacre
>>
>>28466941
>cuck

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>28467019
>Opinion discarded.

cuck.
>>
>>28467022
>cuck.

cuck.
>>
>>28467022
>>28467019
>>28466941
>>28466911
>>28466893
STFU NIGGERS
>>
>>28467067
>Being obsessed with niggers

cuck.
>>
>dad in '64, instead of getting drafted, decided to enlist
>in 101st
>first overseas deployment, dropped into S. Korea along the DMZ
>lands in a rice paddy, up to his chest in foul smelling water
>later, company commander decides they should give 1st Cav some r&r and take over guarding an ammo depot
>at night, dad is in a slit trench not too far from the OP
>hears some rustling, peeks over top of trench
>fucking Norks are knifing buddies in the OP
>pops starts firing, flares go off, everyone else opens up
>dad drops down in trench to reload
>hears norks screaming and approaching his hole
>takes out his .45 and mag dumps, blind firing out of his hole
>when he checks, he sees three dead, one with his head blown apart, not sure if he was the one that got 'em
>starts taking grenades and gets hit in his back

I probably got some of this jumbled up, he doesn't talk too much about it and he always felt like he didn't deserve any recognition because he never actually went to Nam. My mom would tell me how she would pick pieces of shrapnel out of his back as they slowly worked their way to the surface of his skin over the years. Just a year ago when he was supposed to get an MRI, they found a small piece just below the surface.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.