[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long do you keep ammo in your mags? topped off? does it affect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0859.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0859.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
How long do you keep ammo in your mags? topped off? does it affect reliability?
>>
Hi.

Springs do not weaken from long-term compression. It's fuddlore. What matters is compression cycles and the stress amplitude for said cycles.
>>
>>28462587
wtf is up with k and posting pics with their feet....

i usually keep 17rnd 9mm glock mags at around 15, 30 rnd ak mags at around 25-27, and 33rnd glock mags at around 27
>>
>>28462603
no its not fuddlore, stress amplitude cycles is relevant for fatigue failure, constant compression is relevant for creep, material properties change when constantly stressed...spring constants weaken when springs are constantly compressed....faggot
>>
>>28462587

There are stories of 1911 magazines loaded in 1946 and successfully fired sixty years later.
>>
>>28462629

At the stress amplitude it would be under at full compression and the storage temperature, creep will not be an issue.

The feed lips or the casings themselves will fail before the spring does.
>>
Because this is relevant, I'm a Deputy Sheriff. My agency issues Glock 21's.

My duty mags stay fully loaded 24/7, the only time they are unloaded is once a year when I shoot the ammo in them to qualify and reload them afterward. The springs are almost as tight as they were brand new 4 years ago, and the last round is still a snug fit.

On the other hand, when we practice, we use range mags that stay at the range. These are never left loaded and are used multiple times weekly for shooting. These mags have noticeably weaker springs than my constantly loaded duty mags, and have had their springs replaced within the last 2 years.
>>
>>28462587
Till I use that particular mag, up to years.
The only exception is 12ga in the vepr, since I use and empty those regularly.
>>
>>28462629
Spring creep happens at such a low rate, even lower as more and more time passes, that constant compression doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as compression cycles do.
>>28462587
For firearms spring creep is hardly noticeably on the function. It's much more noticeable and an actual factor for airshit.
>>
>>28462629
>creep
What, you think mag springs today are made of tin cans and toaster wire?
>>
>>28462629
all studies in metallurgy show otherwise. There's zero "creep" of a spring which isn't moving and is under ordinary levels of compression.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.