[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rediculous caliber conversion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Kel_Tec_M43_06.jpg (175 KB, 1100x486) Image search: [Google]
Kel_Tec_M43_06.jpg
175 KB, 1100x486
How hard would it be, theoretically, to either convert or reverse engineer a gun from a small 5.56 caliber to a larger caliber (like .308 or 6.5 creed). I'm not thinking AR, I'm actually thinking RDB. I understand if have to basically re-manufacture it from the ground up, but I was wondering if it would be at all feasible (assuming kel-tec doesn't make one first). This would be a pet project more than anything else so yeah, just curious about what EXACTLY would need to happen.

Considering that soon I'll be going to school and taking machining classes so I could potentially make any parts I need for free (as long as they aren't obviously gun parts), I might even be able to do it on the cheap.

I don't want an rfb because they are complicated on the inside but and rdb or m43 in 6.5 creed makes my dick hard.

Pic so very sexy and related.
>>
Sure. Start with a block of aluminum about a foot long, about three inches wide, and about five inches tall. Cut away everything that doesn't look like your dream weapon. Don't fuck up, 'cause you'll have to start over.
>>
I'm looking at more constructive ideas that would actually assist this project idea.
>>
>>28454764
You'd be better off with an RFB, since that's designed around the 308.
>>
>>28454798
But I am looking at something with a simpler ejection system. I understand the EASE of the rfb, but I want the ability of the rdb.
>>
>>28454764
>I'm looking at more constructive ideas that would actually assist this project idea.

The most practical suggestion would be to talk to an engineer or firearms designer that could guide you through the technical issues of your idea.

You're essentially talking about building an entirely new gun. The trigger group will probably be the only part that you keep.
>>
Keep in mind that your action length would need to be longer than a 5.56 for a 308

if its a semi auto, operating pressures may change and keep that in mind when you design the operating action
>>
308 semiautomatics are very different from 5.56 automatics. You really need to change all of the working parts between an ar10 and an ar15.

If you want rdb in a bigger caliber, consider 6.8 spc (poor performance after 400 yards, excellent inside of 300) or 6.5 Grendel (excellent long range round) both work in ar15s with a barrel and bolt change, so it might work with the rbd
>>
>>28456419
Could the basic system/parts (changed for calber) work when going up in caliber?

If I'm doing a caliber change within the 5.56 range I'm going .277 wolverine but I'd rather try to get one built in 6.5 creed for the pure awesome.
>>
>>28455187
I understand the rebuilding of the gun from the ground up, I mainly just want to be positive that the basic concept could still work in 6.5 creed before I build it in that.
>>
>>28457028
Probably not no. 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 Spc work because their dimensions aren't too different from an ar15s.
But ar10s need new receiver, bolt carrier groups, barrels, muzzle devices, firing pin is really different. Buffer tube and spring are different , as well as the charging handle and handguards That leaves the trigger and the pistol grip really.
>>
This thread reminds me of when I would take my STANAG-converted Saiga .223 to the range with a buddy of mine that had an AR-47 and fucked with the spergburgers.
>>
>>28456419
The RDB should be available in 6.5 Grendel, or at least that's what they've said.
>>
maybe the MDR is more your style? it comes it 5.56 and .308 whenever it gets released.
>>
>>28454425
I happen to be a fan of Greeniculous caliber conversion.
>>
File: 1448122048975.jpg (26 KB, 420x401) Image search: [Google]
1448122048975.jpg
26 KB, 420x401
>>28457361
Did you get any comments?
>>
>>28461702
MDR is forward eject like the RFB. Requires an internal rail and a separate case lifting arm during cycle. OP likes the drop it out the back during bolt cycle of the RDB.
>>
>>28454425
Your main issue here OP, is that it's typically considerably easier to scale down than it is to scale up. You might think the AR gets away with it, but it sorta doesn't, the 15 being derived from the earlier ar-10 in .308.

But, if you're dead set on doing it, it might not be a bad idea to look at an AR in 6.5 if you could get your hands on one without purchasing it.

If that fails, your key components to having a functional semi-auto rifle will be your gas system and recoil springs. The gas system might be hard to figure out without a physics background, but you should be able to play with some numbers and figure out what kinda spring you would need.

Or you could figure out how to thread steel and go to town on some parts kits.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.