[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal Storm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: 765073-metal-storm.jpg (43 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
765073-metal-storm.jpg
43 KB, 650x366
Most of you have probably heard of this, but just a friendly reminder that this shit exists:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjGbOyd2ek
Damn.
>>
Yeah these guys went out of business unfortunately. Should have marketed to the Koreans it would be perfect for their border robots.
>>
>>28447539
its pretty amusing to watch older episodes of gun shows where they talk about "the next big thing", only to realize how many of those products flopped. I remember when the XM8 was on mail call.
>>
>>28450510

>only to realize how many of those products flopped

Yeah, kind of makes me feel old when I see a game with some kind of "the cutting-edge future technology" and realize that hell, this is the experimental version of the product and that the whole company went bankrupt like 5-10 years ago.
>>
>>28447539
Too bad that was only really viable in the role of a grenade launcher/mortar system but didn't offer anything better than pre-existing systems at the cost of needed an entirely new supply chain.
>>
Whoop de doo they invented babby's first electronic firing system without making it man-portable. GG
>>
Saw something like this in a CSI Miami episode.
Horatio faced against someone using this and won.
>>
>>28451994
actually it delivered way higher rate of fire that an attack heli could really use in an ambush.
imagine a bob out mortar salvo of hundred shells per second (convoy fucked) and bug in back behind cover.
>>
>>28452096
A single AMOS can sustain twelve rounds a minute and burst launch 16 rounds that will impact simultaneously while being breech loaded.

Launching hundreds of shells a second is a gimmick as it can't sustain that rate of fire and requires a pretty significant time investment to reload the thing. Skip to 1:36 to see the reload process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_9_RgMPCE
>>
>>28452301
>AMOS 120mm artillery
>attack helo 40mm mortar spam ambush
two totally different things man for totally different purposes
>>
>>28452445
If I'm using an attack helicopter why would I want to arm it with 40mm grenades?
>>
>>28452471
because you can spam a great area where nothing will remain intact in a split second.
basically unarmored vehicles and infantry that is the metal storms main focus.
if you ambush an armored formation you obviously leave these modules at home and bring a bunch of hellfires or something.
>>
>>28452502
Metal Storm in a proprietary ammo type doesn't offer significant advantages over man-portable explosives
>>
>>28452525
Whoops, didn't mean to quote, sorry
>>
>>28452502
>because you can spam a great area where nothing will remain intact in a split second.
kinda like....

oh whats that shit called.....

oh yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JhkjtCnVQ
>>
>>28452525
nobody said it offers any advantage aside from the sheer number of rounds fired per seconds.

the thing is the possible applications are indeed limited but i still can see it used on helos (if they can take the recoil) because if said helos fire 8 rockets which is the alternative payload they will have to return to base to reload anyways. metalstorm offers no advantage or disadvantage in loading compared to missile payload. it however offers a more "fuck this area in particular" rather than "fuck that thing in particular and that and that" which is sometimes useful.
>>
>>28452583
missiles and rockets have massively longer range m80
>>
>>28452556
yes exactly like this only like 4-5 or 10 times more finally you get the point. of course range is more limited which is a trade-off.
>>
>>28452612
i know that is why i said it's for ambush mostly
and probably against sandniggers with only man portable aa.
>>
>>28452613
>80mm rockets
>40mm grenades
which do you think has a bigger bang?
even if youre shooting a tonne of them the increased blast radius is something you cant really get over, not to mention shit like AFVs that the rockets could knock out and the 40mm cant
>>
>>28452620
>fight man portable AA
>by getting much closer to them for much longer to use a line of sight RULE OF COOL wunderweapon instead of sending a missile right up akmeds ass

this is why 12 year olds don't make military procurement decisions
>>
>>28452583
Helicopters with forward-facing guns are stupid, you want to either fire ordnance and leave or have doorguns with wide angles so you can move your vehicle independent of the gun itself.
Metal Storm definitely doesn't have an advantage over explosive doorguns in that case.
>>
>>28452502
Cluster munition rounds exist for a 120mm mortar. If I'm against unarmored vehicles and infantry with a helicopter there is no reason not use pre-existing 70mm rockets and the M230.
>>
>>28452633
don't underestimate 40m frags tho especially airburst.
yeah well nobody said a helo can only carry one or the other or all helos have to carry the same, but sure against armor you will want the missiles. you equip to mission parameters. altho i think most apcs would still be pretty fucked from a salvo like that.
>>
>>28452647
>line of sight
waht? i'm fairly certain if would work as indirect fire from behind a dune equally well.
>>
>>28452651
m230 does not have an effective firing range any greater than a 40mm mortar tho.
mk19 has 1500m m230 has 1500m well shit you can use either.
>>
>>28452666
Apaches can carry Hydra 70 rockets in a 19 round pod with an effective range of 8000 meters and a maximum range of 10500 meters. The can be fitted with a varied of warheads and precision guided variants exist.
>>
>>28452096
attack helicopters are only suitable for CAS and firesupport in a real war.
Firing things faster isn't as helpful as you could think, when it's limited by supply, logistics, and weight in the first place.
>>
>>28452786
now replace that pod with a 500 round (10x10x5) 40mm metalstorm and tell me the 19 rockets will make a bigger clusterfuck.
>>
>>28452815
the nice thing about metalstorm is it doesn't actually weights as much most of the weight is the ammunition you are going to expend either way it is your payload. cheap almost discard-able pods and very little mechanical complexity i still like it. also the ammunition seems fucking simple and cheap too compared to a guided missile.
>>
>>28450510
I think it's funny that in some fictional universes, the XM8 was chosen over/as the SCAR. Crysis and MGS4, as some examples. That gun looked retarded.
>>
>>28452938
The actual Metal Storm grenade launcher system was two 12 barrel pods linked to a single fire control system with four rounds per barrel for a total of 96 rounds.

Even going with your hypothetical 500 round system on all four hardpoints, it'd give you 2,000 40mm grenades with a maximum range of 2200 meters. Meanwhile four Hydra pods with M261 warheads would give you 684 grenade submunitions at a maximum range of 10,500 meters.
>>
>>28453254
like i said it's a trade-off.
something that should be tried out not dismissed out of hand.
the 9 grenade sub-munition is interesting tho what is their dispersion pattern?
>>
>>28453360
The tradeoff being that your effective firing range for those 2000 grenades is less than half the operational range of a first-gen MANPAD.

No idea on the dispersal pattern.
>>
>>28453532
yeah but nobody gonna be able to aim with those manpads in the 2 seconds it takes to empty the ms. after a second or two again everything will be over anyways.

and i'm still not sold on that it wouldn't be a lot cheaper pound per pound than missiles. like a lot cheaper. think it's like $10-$20 for a grenade and $1000-$2000 for a missile.
>>
>>28453734
"Just kill them first and you'll be fine," is the kind of doctrine that loses you helicopters.

A training grenade costs $10-20. A Hydra rocket costs $2,800.
>>
>>28452583
>nobody said it offers any advantage aside from the sheer number of rounds fired per seconds.
Even in that respect it offers no advantage over canister shot.
>>
File: latest.jpg (57 KB, 912x564) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
57 KB, 912x564
Their 3-round 40mm is pretty cool, that could actually offer some advantage over current GLs
>>
>>28447539
I could see this being useful as an ambush or minefield replacement. like having one of the set up to disperse its payload over a wide area to effectively bottle neck a ravine and an being able to leave them unattended to act as a manpower conserving way to guard flanks/the rear.
>>
>>28455618
I think it would be useful for executions too
>>
>>28455618
So like a claymore mine.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.