[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bow and Arrow for defense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 620x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 620x340
>Speaking in terms of
-cost (arrows are reusable)
-felons/laws ( they are legal, and some are collapsable)
-quiet
-In SHTF you never run out of ammo.

>Negatives...
Takes years of practice (like a martial art)

How advisable would you be able to use a bow in a situation?

Assuming you lived in jew york.
>>
>>28438462
As someone who lives in neutered gun California, it is interesting to note, that when I carry a bow to to the range in Balboa Park, no one's threatened and police don't pay me any mind.
Having used a bow in an outdoor range regularly, it's common to lose sight of an arrow if you miss, and even carbon arrows are prone to damage if you hit something hard. Archery is a cheap practice if you never miss. If you get in a self defense, even if you hit, you might not get your arrows back unless you win.
Still, with practice, a steady supply of arrows, considerable knowledge of fletching and repairing wooden arrows and a bow that can accept wooden arrows, a bow maybe viable. Bows are considerably powerful, and even a low poundage bow is lethal.
>>
>>28438702
What's the lowest poundage you'd recommend?
>>
>>28438731
Most archery ranges start people off with 25 pounds, which includes all age groups. But I have a companion who got off will with 35 pounds. Most people are capable of bending a bow with greater poundage such as 45 pounds, but it's a different story trying to shoot it. So I would have to say 35 pounds to start.
>>
>>28438462
>you never run out of ammo.
This is bullshit. Arrows break or get lost all the time. You might expect to be able to fire an arrow maybe 5 times on average if you're lucky, but if you're unlucky you might break/lose them all on the first shot and then what?
>>
In a SHTF scenario it's very useful for hunting, but other than that, no.
>>
>>28438752
Furthermore, if you can find an actual archery store that would be great, as you can get arrows cut for your particular draw length.

If you ever watched Weapons that Made Britain, you'll find that you can become more or less competent with a bow in a relatively short period of time. It just takes years to become precise, and accurate over long range.

Do check out a Youtube channel called Merlin Archery, and his previoues channel Archery Adventures. The fellow, has good realistic advice (unlike the trick shooting of Lars Andersen) regarding instinctive archery, as in shooting without the aid of sights or stabilizers.
>>
>>28438781
I agree that one can lose and break arrows all the time, I certainly have. But could clarify what you mean by 5 times on average?
>>
File: Manchu Archery.jpg (71 KB, 647x495) Image search: [Google]
Manchu Archery.jpg
71 KB, 647x495
I'm just going to post archery pictures.
>>
File: Korean Archery.jpg (140 KB, 1600x1199) Image search: [Google]
Korean Archery.jpg
140 KB, 1600x1199
>>
>>28438462
>Takes years of practice (like a martial art)
Try weeks

You're discounting the fact that it takes considerable upper back strength, unless you're using a compound
>>
File: English Warbow Reenactor.jpg (597 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
English Warbow Reenactor.jpg
597 KB, 1024x681
>>
File: Mughal Crab Bow.jpg (28 KB, 586x499) Image search: [Google]
Mughal Crab Bow.jpg
28 KB, 586x499
>>28438943
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIjQS26T3ug
>>
File: 106355797_904a32e286_b.jpg (612 KB, 1024x811) Image search: [Google]
106355797_904a32e286_b.jpg
612 KB, 1024x811
>>28438914
>>
>>28439114

Lol you watch that channel too? Korean?
>>
>>28438957
>Dem siyahs
Muh dick
>>
>>28438930
Compound bows require more or less strength than a traditional bow, depending on tuning and limbs. A compound is easier to hold drawn than a traditional bow, but you shouldn't be holding long with a traditional bow anyway.
>>
>>28438702
How's Riverside brah?

>muh sekret club
>>
>>28438930
I believe he means it takes years to get as accurate with a bow as you can with a rifle at longer distances like 100-200 yards with equivalent groups.
>>
>>28439638
I'd still say years is a fair bit overblown
>>
>>28438462

>In SHTF you never run out of ammo.

Except it's really easy to lose or break an arrow and making new ones isn't like in the movies. If you make shitty arrows you won't hit anything and arrowmaking requires considerable amount of skill and proper materials.
>>
>>28438462
> arrows are reusable

HA HAHA HA.....
Not as youmay think. Arrow tips break all the time and depending on the type of arrow head, usually only have one use. Arrow shaft can be reused in any case and are simple to make.

Somebody may have said this already but I like laughing at friends who think what they see in movies is true.
t. Bow hunter
>>
>>28439724
This. Making a good straight arrow that flies true is fucking stupid hard.
I have a buddy who does a *decent* job at it.
You don't just use a sharp stick that you think is straight enough.
Try it, that shit will not fly straight very far.
They have to have the right balance, flexibility, length, and be able to withstand your bow's poundage
>>
>>28439804
Shafts easy to make? How the fuck? You litterely can't make aluminum or carbon shafts on your own. And wooden shafts are carved from tree trunks. Unless you are a fletcher, you won't make good shafts.

Tips breaking? How the fuck? A massive steel tip - how do you break that? You don't practice archery.
>>
For SHTF, it would be a disadvantage early on when ammo and firearms are still plentiful.

After that, knowing archery will be incredibly important to survival.

In an every day self-defense scenario, imAgine all of the situations where you would've been able to carry a bow in normal day to day life.

Short answer is it is useless from a practical defense standpoint.
>>
>>28439870
>You litterely can't make aluminum or carbon shafts on your own.
Say that on /diy/ I fukkin dare u m8
>>
>>28438462
>How advisable would you be able to use a bow in a situation?
As a last resort defending yourself maybe, but I wouldn't walk around with one. You'll die to the first person with a gun who thinks you might be a legit threat because you are visibly armed.
You won't be around long.
>>
>>28439652
With a recurve it is years, but a couple of years if you practice a lot.

A good deal of those years of practice would be more toward maintaining existing skills rather then getting better.

Variation and mixing it up btw are pretty important if you want to learn how to be more flexible. Like going inna woods or shooting on hills at different elevations. Or even at moving targets if you jury rig a good enough system at like a park or something.

And then it becomes a bit of a challenge to try not to break or lose your arrows while doing all of these stup...I mean 'dynamic' enviornments.
>>
>>28439900
Unless they use top of the state material and tools, they won't be able to make an aluminum shaft or carbon fibre shaft. The aluminum used is plane-grade aluminum. The shaft is actually a pipe made with insane precision.
>>
I would get a slingshot anyway, regardless of bow or not. Ammo is plenty (stones if you don't have steelballs), it is deadly, it is small and easy to learn.
>>
>>28439894

>After that, knowing archery will be incredibly important to survival.

Why are you assuming that ammo runs out fast?

Also there are far more effective ways of getting food than bow hunting, for example trapping and fishing. Both require much less spent energy from your part when compared to the energy gained.

Save ammo for large game and two legged bastards, no point in wasting ammo on small game.
>>
>>28438702
>Balboa Park
>mfw that's 4 miles away from me and I'm there all the time
I don't want to believe there are other autists like myself near me. you guys only exist on the internet.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 250x214
What would be the possible use of a concealed bow? ( Collapsable)

Are sling shots deadly? What about slings?

How well do bows go against soft and plate armor?

Multiable targets... With possable firearms?
>>
>>28440801

Its $149.00 can fit in your back pocket.
Not sure how you would carry arrows?

I'm sure the put together... Then set arrow then aim... Would be super slow compared to say a glock appendix carried.

Which would be like 1/4 of a second if that.
>>
File: images(6).jpg (10 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
images(6).jpg
10 KB, 230x219
>shtf
>not using a sling
>>
>>28439986
Is it that deadly though?
>>
>>28439903
Sling shots?

What about collapsable bows?
Yea the storage to ready to fire time sucks...
>>
>>28440019
>two legged bastards
Doesn't that come under "large game"?
>>
>>28439966
anyone can buy 'plane grade' aluminium for relatively cheap
they are not as accuratly made as you think
>>
>>28438856
I think he means hit a target 5 times before the arrow is broken or unusable?
>>
There was a thread about slings the other day.

>>28415731
>>
File: Pocket Sling-Bow by Tigermano.jpg (55 KB, 736x489) Image search: [Google]
Pocket Sling-Bow by Tigermano.jpg
55 KB, 736x489
Would go with a sling bow or modified Hawaiian sling (pic) as they're flatter learning curve, more compact, possibly less expensive, and more ammo options.
>>
>>28442240
Oh shit. How deadly?

Pounds of draw?
>>
Decent carbons last way longer than 5 shots. I have a dozen that I take out to practice, usually 17 or so ends of 6 shots (i.e. each arrow gets shot 17 times on a normal day). I'll only keep 6 in my quiver and only get one of the others if I need to. That The only breaks I get are when I hit my own arrows or put one through the fletching on the target face.

A bow isn't really much of a realistic self defence option. It works if your opponent doesn't have a gun or crossbow that's ready to go and has to close distance while you're ready for them. Aside from that, not really. It's not a stopping weapon either - shot placement is even more important with a bow than with firearms, you need heart/lung/both shots (killing with blood loss/respiratory failure). Spine and head shots are unreliable - both are hard to hit with a bow and surrounding bone means arrows may very well deflect instead of penetrating. For a self-defence weapon, you'd be better off with something that can be carried ready to use, like a blackpowder gun (if more accessible than a modern one), a powerful air rifle or maybe a crossbow.

Hunting they can do, and I guess if you were talking about SHTF, they don't make anywhere near as much noise as a gun and arrows can often be retrieved and re-used. Making them is not especially easy. Wooden arrows will explode if you shoot them out of a compound bow, but if you have a trad bow they can work.

To make them though, you'd need a bit of wood-working gear, a spine-tester & chart and a scale that can measure grains. You want to cut straight-grained lengths of wood into dowels, measure spine (stiffness) & weight, get your batch consistent, play with shaft length and point weight until they fly straight, and then finally fletch them. It can be done, but it's not carving sticks with a pocket knife and gluing some feathers to them.
>>
>>28442609

>That The only breaks I get are when I hit my own arrows or put one through the fletching on the target face.

Remember that we are not talking about shooting targets. There are is a lot of stuff out there that can break or damage an arrow if it hits them. I'm not sure how arrow reacts to hitting a tree for example. I have done only very little archery but I must say arrow ricocheting from side of a tree didn't look good.
>>
>>28442696

5 shots is still kind of an odd arbitrary number to put on it. A lot depends on the arrow. Aluminium will often bend - it can be potentially re-straightened with a jig (i.e. not by hand), but may just wind up unusably bent. Wooden arrow, the straighter the grain the better - run offs in the grain tend to be the line which they break along, whereas good grain makes your arrow overall more durable. Carbon is arguably most durable.

A point to consider is that if you're in the woods, a miss can often be a lost arrow anyway - a broad head or a field point tends to bury itself in dirt/grass. Bright fletching and judo points help with that, but judos only really work on small game. You mostly just don't want to miss a lot.
>>
Are compound bows a pain in the arse to maintain? All those pulleys and shit look like a headfuck.
>>
>>28442796
I occasionally wax my string and bring it in every couple years for a new one. Other than that no maintenance really required.
>>
>>28442796
>>28442870

A lot of it is getting everything right at the start in terms of tuning, which a pro shop can help you out with.
>>
>>28439114
Run and gun archery?
>>
>>28440801
A slingshot might be deadly, not likely. Slings are more likely than slingshots but good luck hitting anything.

A slingbow is compact with adequate power. The arrows are still long but if you made your bolts for the slingbow they'd be much smaller.

>soft and plate armor
Nothing is getting through modern plate. A crossbow can get through soft armor, particularly with nice sharp arrow heads. I don't think anybody can pull a bow strong enough to pierce soft armor.

Crossbow vs IIIA soft armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLRymWv-CA
>>
File: 1451185841037.jpg (78 KB, 607x434) Image search: [Google]
1451185841037.jpg
78 KB, 607x434
>>28439966
>Unless they use top of the state material and tools, they won't be able to make an arrow shaft.
I think you're retarded. You realize that the bow and arrow PRECEDED cnc machines, modern refineries and tooling by only like... a million years?
>>
>>28440801
slings were made for killing things.

>Vegetius has a number of useful observations on the sling. ‘Slingers (funditores) shoot stones from slings made of flax or hair (the latter are said to be better) by whirling the arm around the head’ (Epitome rei militaris III.14). ‘Recruits should be thoroughly trained at throwing stones by hand and with slings. The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to be the first to discover the use of slings, and to have practised with such expertise that their mothers did not let their small sons touch any food unless they had hit it with a sling stone. Often, against soldiers armoured with helmets, scale coats and mail shirts, smooth stones shot from a sling or staff sling are more dangerous than arrows, since while leaving the limbs intact they inflict a lethal wound, and the enemy dies from the blow of the stone without the loss of any blood’ (I.16).
>>
>>28439616
Wet, very wet. Been itching to go shooting, and carved out an overdraw for my bow.
>>
>>28440801
It's not quite like having a holstered gun. Its purpose is that one can possess a bow of adequate power that can be carried in a bag and can withstand the rigors of the elements.

>>28440844
If I'm not mistaken, believe certain companies sell take down arrows as well in which the segments can be attached.
>>
>>28440084
Don't feel too bad, I live away for college, I only come down for vacation.
>>
File: 1450755844479.jpg (140 KB, 820x554) Image search: [Google]
1450755844479.jpg
140 KB, 820x554
>>28440920
>live in a swamp
>sling shot an alimgator
>tfw he eats my angus

What is a sling good for, other than 1337 360 noscopes once a million years ago one time against a giant, and hitting small canidae that harass your goats/sheep?
>>
>>28446760
They can kill humans with sheer impact force and our ancestors used them to hunt for food.
The innacuracy is a meme, you just need to train a bit with the sling to become 'bout as accurate as a bow.
Train even longer and you can be even more so.

Also,

>tfw he eats my angus

Anon y u get so close
>>
>>28438799
i do instinctive archery. i feel it's more natural and quicker for targeting. I did get my arrows cut for my draw length too. really recommend it. Shop i went to had an upstairs range too for you to test everything.
>>
>>28438702
You can make your own arrows easily.

There is actually a really good general starting guide here on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/archery/wiki/guides/beginning
>>
>>28443624
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.