[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
trying to decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: 7427427416146.png (141 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
7427427416146.png
141 KB, 380x380
Hey /k/, new to guns and first time posting here. With everything going on in the world I decided its time to get something for home defense. Right now I'm on the table between 3 different handguns, I just want one as a starter for now and eventually once I learn more I'll get further into it. What I wanted to know is if you have to pick between Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, or Beretta which would you choose and why? Right now I'm leaning towards Smith & Wesson.

For the Smith & Wesson it is the M&P 40 Shield, for Sig Sauer it is the Model P226, and for Beretta it is the PX4 Storm. All are within my price range and all .40 S&W.

Basically all I want to know is which manufacturer do you think is going to have the most reliable one? Pic related its the Smith & Wesson.
>>
Why .40?
>>
All will be perfectly reliable unless you absolutely abuse the everloving shit out of them

Just go for the one that looks/feels the best to you. If you aren't worried about concealing it then capacity is always a plus
>>
home defense? why not fullsize?

or shotgun when youre at it
>>
>>28437955
1) Why .40?
2) Why a pocket gun listed with two full size pistols? An M&P 40 would be more comparable

Those being asked, I owned a Beretta PX4 Storm and it was decent, but nothing to write home about, it malfunctioned regularly on steel cased ammo, but was perfectly reliable with brass.
The Sig 226 is probably the better choice if you want a DA/SA pistol.
If you want to CC and live in a warmer climate, the Shield is the best choice of what you listed, but I would recommend against getting one in .40, as a .40 in a frame that small would be very snappy.
If you'd also consider a full size M&P (since you listed the shield), I feel it would be the best choice from what you've listed, especially if you'd rather a striker fired pistol.
>>
File: 641614727527.png (161 KB, 380x253) Image search: [Google]
641614727527.png
161 KB, 380x253
>>28437979
.40 is just whats in my price range, I want to eventually get a handgun for home defense/conceal carry with .38 special but right now I don't know too much about different ammo types.

I've always heard that 9mm is not very effective or good to have and I think the only other ones I see are .45 and I don't know how good those are but the only .45 I see thats near my price range is the Glock 37 which uses .45 GAP (not sure what that means really).

Also forgot to mention I'm looking towards not just home defense for now but obviously shooting at ranges.
>>
>>28438006
I already have a shotgun I just want something that is quick and easy that can hold more rounds and plus I haven't ever had a handgun so I want to have something new, plus I'll also be using it at ranges.
>>
File: 64217617147.png (86 KB, 380x230) Image search: [Google]
64217617147.png
86 KB, 380x230
>>28438026
Yeah I was kind of leaning towards the P226 over the M&P 40 shield just because it's a little bit heavier and has a longer barrel so I thought that might also make it easier to practice with at ranges.
>>
cz p-09

cheap ,accurate, huge capacity

can get it in .40 as well
>>
>>28438032
.38 Special has pretty much the same diameter as 9mm, but significantly less velocity. You can use Overpressured .38 Special (Often abbreviated to .38 Special +P) to get higher velocities that are still not quite 9mm, but you would have to have a gun chambered for it and not just plain .38.

Also worth mentioning that you only get around 6 shots with most .38's. Most 9mm pistols will have a higher capacity and can be concealed more comfortably for some people as they are not as bulky. Also, in the three service calibers, (9mm, .40, .45) there is not really a noticable difference in ballistics.

The whole "9mm is bad" is basically a myth. It is cheaper than .38 and .40 as well. I will say that .40 is always on the shelves, so if ammo availability is an issue that is something to consider.

.45 GAP is a cartridge made only for Glocks. It is hard to find and expensive.

Get whatever pistol you feel most comfortable with. If price is not an issue, fondle those and see what one feels natural to you.
>>
>>28437955
unless you're really, truly, absolutely married to the .40 for reasons, go for a SW 5906 or any other full sized, metal frame over a poly.

>>28438032
oh never mind, didn't catch on that this is a bait thread.

just get a dragon dildo, lube and some Rush
>>
Anon, .40 is a dumb caliber for any use. It's meant to balance the supposed lower kinetic powet of 9mm and the higher recoil of .45, but ends up failing at both.

9mm is typically your best bet, even as a first timer, though .380 and .38spcl are both solid carry calibers as well.

Keep in mind that the size of your gun itself is also a crucial component - larger guns that weigh more are going to dissuade many first timers from consistently carrying, which means they're expensive paperweights. Tiny picket pistols on the other hand may prove too uncomfortable to hold or difficult to recoil control.

For home defense I would strongly recommend a 9mm S&W such as the SD9VE or one of their various different sizes of Signa. These are efdectively cheaper clones of Glocks with better ergonomics.
I would also recommend looking into S&W Revolvers in .38 special or even .357magnum. .357 magnums can fire .38spcl rounds, and are heavier meaning less recoil, and you always have the option of stepping up to a higher caliber round if you're confident. Revolvers make excellent home defense guns because they lack any safeties or magazines to fumble with at night.

In the end how well a handgun performs strongly rests on how comfortably you can grip, aim, and fire with it. As a new shooter, you should not buy a handgun without having felt the grip and preferably having rented/shot something of a similar weight in a similar caliber.
>>
File: 835835835.png (91 KB, 380x220) Image search: [Google]
835835835.png
91 KB, 380x220
>>28438142
Yeah for right now I think no matter what ammo type I'll be going for hollow-points that I will keep for home defense while using regular ammo for shooting at ranges. Eventually once I get my CCW I'll probably go with something like pic related just because I think I will want something that I can quickly and easily pull out of my pocket, I mean I mainly expect to be close to the person so I'm not too concerned with ammo capacity at that point (i'm more worried about robberies in my city than terrorists for concealing).

Thanks for the advice though everyone, I'll make sure to keep on doing research.
>>
File: 1449097614377.jpg (31 KB, 180x229) Image search: [Google]
1449097614377.jpg
31 KB, 180x229
>>28438166
>someone wants to know more about guns/ammo and what they should do
>oh its bait

Aren't you supposed to be hanging out on /b/?
>>
>>28438180
Snubbies aren't the best for CCW because they tend to have obnoxiously snappy recoil, and your CCW is something you should consistently practice with. A 4-5 inch barrel is better and won't be any less concealable.

Snubs are designed for people who won't have a holster to conceal, so pretty explicitly women's purses and car gloveboxes
>>
>>28438180
>>28438077
>>28438032
>>28437955
>>28435321
Handgun Advice:

Get the book, "Principles of personal defense" by Jeff Cooper

Modern handguns are so reliable that ergonomics are generally more important than anything else unless the gun can be bought for less than $300 new.

Go to funz store and hold the following in your hand to check for comfort and ease of access to the magazine release, trigger, and any safeties.

Glock 19, 26, 42, or 43
CZ P01 or 75 Compact
Lionheart LH9
Ruger SR9, SR9c, LCR, LCP, LC9, GP100
S&W M&P9, M&P Compact, Bodyguard, Shield, or any revolver.
Walther P99, PPS, or PPK
Bersa Thunder
Springfield XDS or XDM
Sig P238, P938, P229

These pistols are almost all 9mm but there are a couple that aren't. This is on purpose. The 9mm with a quality modern hollowpoint is usually the correct answer against human attackers, if you can't have a rifle or shotgun. The revolver equivalents are .38 special or .357 magnum depending on the 9mm load you are trying to replicate. The .357 will also safely shoot .38 so unless you have a good reason, get that if you get a revolver.

Jeff Cooper didn't like the 9mm because of caliber prejudice and the fact that he didn't live to see the advances in ammo these last few years, but other than that, the advice in the book is solid.

Get live fire training from a NRA certified trainer as soon as you can. Be safe, follow the law, talk to a lawyer, and carry responsibly.
>>
>>28438266
Stop posting this shit, he doesn't need to read a book and research 20 different handguns. You're not being helpful.
>>
>>28438266
Sorry. I didn't mean to copy that last link into the post. Pls ignore.
>>
Well thanks for the advice anyone, from what I've gathered is 9mm is fine (will probably go for that instead of .40 now), metal framing is good, check the grips, weight, trigger, sites and everything and mainly that it just comes down to personal preference on handling.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably start coming over here to lurk more and get more acquainted with everything.
>>
>>28438277
Book is for mindset and philosophy. It's not very long anyway. More of a pamphlet.

If OP is not willing to develop the mental tools needed to defend himself, he might as well carry lube for his boipussy.

My gun list was shorter but flags keep hitching if their special snowflake gun gets left out but someone else's gets mentioned.
>>
>>28438314
GODDAMN phones!

Fags not flags and bitching not hitching.
>>
>>28438168
>recommending an SD9VE or Sigma
That's the most retarded advice I've ever heard. OP would so 100x better by saving an extra $50 and buying an M&P
>>
>>28438336
I'm with you, and fortunately I'm not in this situation, but it's possible somebody's budget would be better suited to the cheaper piece and more on ammo. Options aren't necessarily a bad thing
>>
>>28438336
If he goes to check out an SD9VE or Shield and his budget is better, he'll move towards the M&P anyways.
He didn't post his budget anyways so I don't have a basis to go on other than bottom line
>>
>>28438309
There is literally nothing wrong with polymer frame handguns such as Glocks and M&P's, the guy that said to stick to metal (not that there is anything wrong with it) is a retard. There's a reason Glocks are pretty much the most popular pistols in the world.
>>
>>28438361
>>28438502
Literally 10 times out of time he would be better saving up another month or two for the extra $50 for a better gun.
>>
>>28438593
>he fell for the Polymer Jew
No but really, Polymer guns are fine, especially for EDC, but personally I can't help but steer newbies away from them on the basis that if you're going to have one gun for one purpose, get something a bit... MORE, y'know?
If OP was just looking for a new or replacement EDC/CCW gun to bang up instead of his safe queen/nightstand gun I'd throw a Glawk at him no problem.
>>
File: logo-large.png (3 KB, 284x115) Image search: [Google]
logo-large.png
3 KB, 284x115
>>28438602
>Literally 10 times out of time
>times out of time
>>
>>28438626
>>>/pol/
>>
>>28438626
I'm curious, what does an all metal pistol offer over a polymer framed one?
About the only advantage I can think of is they are harder to limpwrist, but that's pretty easily solved by not limpwristing.
>>
>>28438785
Looks better, that's about it and that's still opinion more than anything. Hard to get a blued polymer.

>>28438663
>everyone who makes Jew jokes is /pol/ish
>>
>>28437955
I have a ful size M&P .40, love it. Will be getting the shield when i get some more cash. You cant go wrong with the price
>>
>>28438026
>.40 in a frame that small would be very snappy
It's not that bad. I shot one a couple days ago. It's surprisingly accurate, just like the 9, and in my opinion handles almost the same.

The snappiness of .40 is highly overstated. Better to make a ballistics or economic decision on the caliber.
>>
>>28437955
Look at the fNX40 or FNS40. For the money they are hard to beat and the FNS comes in a compact forty as well. The M&P 40 is OK I just didnt like the small slide rails and the trigger. Yes I know there are upgrades that solve this. Its a $500 dollar gun it should come somewhat sorted.
The FNX/FNS have beefy slide rails which would allow shooting .357 with confidence and a swap barrel.

The SIG seems like a decent gun, is that an all metal one you are considering?

Berretta, the gun of Catholicism. The Vatican bank owns a controlling interest in that company, the gun is OK for what it is. There is better and lighter available.
>>
>>28438860
>The FNX/FNS have beefy slide rails which would allow shooting .357 with confidence and a swap barrel.
Not OP but consider me interested. Unless you're talking about .357Sig
>>
>>28438860
Love my FNS. lock up on it almost feels better than my P30sk
>>
>>28437955
Is there a reason the Glock 19 isn't on the table for you?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.