[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatcha reading /k/ ? Recommend any good /k/ sanctioned books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 19
File: book learning.jpg (200 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
book learning.jpg
200 KB, 1067x1600
Whatcha reading /k/ ?
Recommend any good /k/ sanctioned books?
Favourite authors? Auto/ biographies?

I recently finally got around to reading Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambose. Excellent book, as compelling as the miniseries.

Does /k/ even read anything besides /k/ ?
>>
I'm reading Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the 21st Century"

I'm a very boring person.
>>
US Grant's Memoirs
>>
I'm reading The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson. The Liberation Trilogy is an excellent read.

Other good /k/ books I've read recently:
The Gun - C.J. Chivers
Deadly Force - Masad Ayoob

I read non-/k/, but have been on a real /k/ literature kick lately.
>>
File: 1451952226652813399280.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
1451952226652813399280.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>28429593
I just started "The Things They Carried" pretty good so far. In the last couple chapters of pic related, it's better than certain other seal books.
And more /tg/ but I just started "False Gods" the second book in the Hours heresy.
>>
I posted this before in the previous thread.
>Dreadnought - Robert K. Massie
>Castles of Steel - Robert K. Massie
>One Hundred Days - Admiral Sandy Woodward
>Japanese Destroyer Captain - Captain Tameichi Hara
>Shattered Sword - Anthony P. Tully and Jonathan B. Parshall
>Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger
>A Rifleman Went to War - Herbert W. McBride
>The Hundred Day Winter War - Gordon F. Sander
>The Guns of August - Barbara W. Tuchman
>Sea of Thunder - Evan Thomas
>The Art of War - Sun Tzu
>Principles of Maritime Strategy - Julian Corbett
What else should I add to this list?
>>
>>28429593
Inside the Third Reich - Albert Speer
Ten Years and Twenty Days - Karl Doenitz

Speer is much more readable, with a lot of information about the politics of Nazi Germany. Never realized how much it was really a clash of personalities at the top levels.

Doenitz is a good writer, but very dense. I ended up keeping a pad of paper next to me so I could summarize or draw what he was describing, because I couldn't really understand it after reading once. He goes into a lot more detail about the tactics and strategy of the Kriegsmarine, with only minor tangents into politics
>>
>>28429661
Deadly force sounds interesting, how is Masads writing?
>>
>>28429823

He's an excellent writer. Lays out all of the important points of self defense case law in plain English as well as some useful advice about concealed carry. It also includes his take on the George Zimmerman case as well as another self defense case.
>>
For those who like hard SciFi
>Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon
The whole Takeshi Kovacs series is p.good
>>
>>28429593
Just read John Keegans A History of War now reading Sun Tzus The art of war and next up is collected books on warfare by Mao Tse-Tung.
>>
Bump. I was at a book store with my gf earlier today and didn't know what to look for
>>
The gunslinger by Steven king. It's a whole series but it's badass as fuck.
>>
>>28429695
I made it into like the first chapter of Doenitz's memoirs, then gave up and returned it. Felt bad because it was interesting, just too dense for me.

That's a good idea about the paper and pen, I should probably check it out again and do that. I've been on a major Naziboo streak lately
>>
File: FullSizeRender (11).jpg (1 MB, 2186x2918) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender (11).jpg
1 MB, 2186x2918
>>28429593
I go back and forth between historical fiction, memoirs, and sci-fi

Historical Fiction:
>Aubrey Maturin series, you're going to need to google a lot of the nautical terms
>The Long ships, if you want a good easy read about vikings NOT THE MOVIE

Memoirs:
>Anything and everything written by Delta guys
>A lot from the regular soldiers devolve into "My CoC is stupid and I'm so smart"

Sci-Fi:
>Starship troopers
>The Forever war
>Armor
>Snow Crash, for the cyber punk feel
>Foundation series
>>
>>28429929
>Steven King
You mean that fucking antigun retard?
In the book The Cell there's a bit where they go to some gun guy's house, whom is painted as the stereotypical gun nut wife beater, and find a 'full auto AK 47 with high capacity assault magazines filled with highly illegal cop killer hollow point bullets'
>>
Is War and Peace /k/ approved?
I think it's a breddy gud book.
>>
My recommendations

War Made New
Invisible Armies
The Savage Wars of Peace

Memoirs
One Bullet Away
Chasing Ghosts
House to House
Joker One
We Were Soldiers
Brennan's War
With the old Breed

Also for middle eastern or muslim history anything by Bernard Lewis
>>
>>28430025
Yeah just because he has one or two different political views than me doesn't mean I can't like his books.
Cell was kinda trash though.
>>
File: savagead.jpg (270 KB, 800x1105) Image search: [Google]
savagead.jpg
270 KB, 800x1105
Deadly Business: Sam Cummings, Interarms, and the Arms Trade by Albert Zarca

If you want to know how all those glorious old military arms came to the U.S. before 1968, this is your book.
>>
>>28429644

Who likes books based on shitty, inconsistent data sets.
>>
>>28429593
>have read
world affairs since 1919 peter wales
the book of five rings (troll tactics 101)
the art of war (mostly espionage)
star ship troopers (3/4s political diatribe - not enough laser shooting spiders - or nuke launching mecha)

>attempted to read
war and peace
the sum of all fears
mein kamf
critique of pure reason
Beyond Good and Evil
dante's inferno
iliad

I do not read much as it makes me sleepy
>>
any suggestions for books written about or by special forces/green berets?
>>
>>28430618
Inside Delta Force
The quiet professional
The mission, the men, and me
>>
>>28429593
The Third Horseman: A Story of Weather, War, and the Famine History Forgot.

By William Rosen

Real life shtf 700 years ago.
>>
So far the book "The Thursday War" is pretty good, it's a halo series book and runs close with the last entry in the video game series. If you like scifi or Halo it's worthwhile
>>
File: IMG_20160104_185638.jpg (3 MB, 2992x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160104_185638.jpg
3 MB, 2992x4000
>>
I highly recommend
>Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck
A memoir of a commander who led troops under Rommel for half the war and the later half on the Eastern front against the Ruskies.

Truly my favorite and unbelievably good read, almost couldn't put it down to be honest.
>>
File: bouncehound.jpg (27 KB, 304x493) Image search: [Google]
bouncehound.jpg
27 KB, 304x493
>>28429885
are you me?

>major fondness for Greg Bear and Stephen Baxter too.
>Perry's "Man Who Never Missed" cycle for bubblegum beach re-reading.
>Stross, Accelerando
>Nick Pollotta's Bureau 13
>Niven, Niven/Pournelle anything, esp. Inferno, Mote, Footfall

out of around my 200+ cookbooks, The Silver Palatte Good Times Cookbook is still my goto entertainment reference
>>
>>28430618
The Tunnels of Cu Chi - mangold

all my nope
>>
File: Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg (38 KB, 205x300) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg
38 KB, 205x300
>>28429593
One of the best books I have ever read. People said Stranger in a Strange Land was Heinlein's best work but they were wrong.
>>
Kino's Journey by Keiichi Sigsawa, surprisingly pro gun for a jap, as seen by how his pen name is "Sig Sauer".
Command and Control by Eric Schlosser, good if you're into nukes and nuke accessories, and some of the close shaves we've had.
Chickenhawk by Robert Mason, IT AINT ME from the POV of a Marine chopper pilot.
>>
>>28429593

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - Overview of Nazi Germany. Shit's long, yo.

Them: Adventures with Extremists - Oddball English author hangs out with a lot of weird people, ranging as wide as the KKK to the Anti-Defamation League. Fun read.

The Alchemy of Air - History of the Haber-Bosch process for fixing nitrogen from the atmosphere. Far more interesting than it sounds.

Chasing the Scream - One sided but well researched argument for ending the US war on drugs. Several chapters devoted to the drug trade's effects on gun violence.
>>
>>28431743
Old Man's War - Scalzi

Heinlein went off the rails in his later works where he became his own grandpa, incest and WTF am I reading. Entertaining to be sure, but by the time of Number of the Beast, he should have been prefacing his works with the phrase: Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me...
>>
jack reacher books are legit
>>
>Reading fiction and biographies
Fucking normies
>>
>>28429593

The horrible thing about Band of Brothers is how much Ambrose ripped off from Daniel Kenyon Webster's long out of print (at that time) book "Parachute Infantry" and from the Division official history "Rendezvous with Destiny".

Unfortunately it has given rise to fifteen years of motherfuckers thinking the 506th PIR was the entire 101st in WWII, and that 2nd Battalion was this mega elite outfit that was somehow magically cooler than everyone else.

Anyway, I reread Savage Peace- Americans At War in the 1990s by then- LTC Daniel Bolger. Excellently written preview of many of the problems we have had since. He made three stars before retiring and teaches at NC State now.

And just finished "Violence Of Action- The Untold Stories of the 75th Ranger Regiment In the Global War on Terror", compiled by Marty Skovlund.
>>
Heinlein
>>
>>28431850
nope. juvenile writing, and don't get me started on manlet movie casting.
>>
>>28429593
Unintended consequences by John Ross, the book is so /K/ that if I told you what it was about, you might say that this was the ATF not even being subtle
>>
File: Das Kapital.jpg (350 KB, 800x1349) Image search: [Google]
Das Kapital.jpg
350 KB, 800x1349
>>28429644
I've got another good book in mind you should have a look at friendo
>>
File: 1450454328695.jpg (250 KB, 820x505) Image search: [Google]
1450454328695.jpg
250 KB, 820x505
>>28429593
Here are some books I have read and Recommend

> "The Gods were Neutral" & "Brazen Chariots" - Robert Crisp
> Born a Soldier: The Times and Life of Larry Thorne- J. Michael Cleverley
> Panzer Leader- Heinz Guderian
> 10 years and 20 Day- Karl Doenitz (as stated above, Kind of a dense read
> Overlord, Armageddon and Inferno- Max Hasings
> A Stranger to Myself: The Inhumanity of War: Russia, 1941-1944- Willy Peter Reese
> Africa Lost: Rhodesia's COIN Killing Machine (SOFREP)- Dan Tharp

Feel Free to offer suggestions on what to read next.
>>
>>28429929
Hate to break it to ya but that series goes downhill fast and ends shitty
>>
The recent US Army/Marine counterinsurgency manual is a interesting, though a little tough to get through
>>
>>28429593
Sauce plz, who is this semen demon? I came here to jack off at guns and reading recomendations I like knowing about the materials used different types of actions and use in conflicts. Also buy angel of death, that ak book, every comando should have and know more about slavshit they always ask advice on because they're cheap. Can I has sauce now?
>>
>>28430341
Thank you this is what I come for.
>>
Bretty /k/ imo, although The Last Good Kiss was better.
>>
>>28434105
can you read lmao
>>
>>28434105
You, uh....

You see there's a watermark ON that photo, right?

Jordan Carver, according to that shit.

Anyway, fucking LOVE me anything Philip K Dick, Arthur C Clarke, Robert Heinlein has written. Very pleased so far with China Mieville as well.
>>
>>28429593
Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting - Bryan Litz
>>
File: The_High_Frontier_cover.jpg (34 KB, 200x294) Image search: [Google]
The_High_Frontier_cover.jpg
34 KB, 200x294
Not really reading /k/ at the moment.

Probably something /m/ would dig actually, they love their space fuckery
>>
>>28434385
Lol ahem, yeah see it now. Damn bitch looks like an ex and all the blood left my brain, penis assumed direct control for a sec.
>>
Im currently reading thru Turtledove's How Few Remain and its assorted books of that series. Its a prettty interesting alt history book series on the confederates winning and how that shapes ww1 and 2.
>>
>>28429995
>The Forever War

Mah nigga, just finished rereading that yesterday morning. The book is still great no matter how many times I read it.

>>28431743
>>28431823
I truly wish that so many of Heinlein's later novels didn't read like dime store scifi smut.
>>
>>28430046

War and Peace is hundreds and hundreds pages of crap. It can be summarized in 14 words

"A Russian man named Pierre had the chance to shoot Napoleon, but he didn't."
>>
>>28435509
Kind of reminds me of The Red Badge of Courage and its endless descriptions of the scenery. Granted my memory may be off a bit, it has been a very long time since I read The Red Badge of Courage.
>>
>>28429593
Read the Western Canon.

Start with Homer and work your way forward.

Go online and find a syllabus from a University that still includes the great books as part of its curriculum and read it.

Once you do this, you will be ready to start reading other books, watching movies, understanding what it means to be a human being, and you will be a better person.
>>
Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger. You get hired to work at a hotel called Redondo only I don't think its a very good hotel since someone keeps blowing it up. Its hard to read and scary sometimes but worth it for the pictures. I'm never working at a hotel because I don't want to be exploded.
>>
>>28435466
Harlan Ellison and Rand Simberg wrote most of the paperback 'hot for teacher' and 'do me daddy' paperbacks on the 1970s. It was a well paying gig.

Not sure if RAH was trying to crsck that market or became a frustrated horny old man as the years passed.

Forever War is a classic. I read it as a serial in either Galaxy or Analog at the time.
>>
>>28429677
Mahan. THE INFLUENCE OF SEA POWER UPON HISTORY.
>>
>>28431693
Are you me? Stross, Niven, Pournelle and cooking. A man of discernment and taste.
>>
>>28429593
Anything by Marx or Engels is 100% /k/ approved
>>
File: 2cnyqmu[1].jpg (35 KB, 370x591) Image search: [Google]
2cnyqmu[1].jpg
35 KB, 370x591
For the Blood Shed by Bonnecarrere. A book about the French Foreign Legion during the First Indochina War, mostly from the grunts POV.

I don't know how to describe it, but it takes you by the shirt and doesn't let you go once you've begun reading.

>>28431743
Double Star is my favorite, but Starship Troopers comes at a close second with The Puppetmasters.
>>
"Command Missions" by Lucian Truscott - went from US observer at Dieppe to Army Commander in Italy.
"Company Commander" Charles B. MacDonnald - classic account of small unit command in NW Europe in the closing days of the war. Was later a military historian.
"MacArthur and Defeat in the Philippines" - Richard Connaughton. Speaks for itself
>>
>>28431693
Accelerando made me optimistic about the future.
Just gotta survive till we all become digital gods.
>>
>>28431743
Personally, I think Moon is a Harsh Mistress was his best work.
>>
File: pid_21511.jpg (62 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
pid_21511.jpg
62 KB, 400x600
As per Oppenheimer's recommendation:

On Limited Nuclear War in the 21st Century

Not a light book but very understandable. 10 minutes into reading the book and I had felt I had learn more about nuclear strategy in a life time (excluding Oppen's threads).
>>
Not to turn this thread into /pol/ shit but Trumps Crippled America to have a good idea of what to expect. Turns out his chapter on gun ownership is godly. its like /k/ wrote it.
>>
>>28437463

minus the dragon dildos and poorfag gear of course.
>>
>>28429593
Just finished Combat Shooting with Massad Ayoob. Would absolutely recommend to anyone interested in training with their guns to potentially use them against people. Deals a lot with mind set and what kind of training is important.
I also just started Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper. It's super short, probably finish it by tomorrow, but I've seen it recommended time and time again as one of the greatest books on the mindset of self defense there is.
I just bought Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters as well, I'm excited to flip through that and study some famous firefights of the Old West.
And finally, I'm reading Legend of Drizzt: Starless Night. Fucking fantastic, Drizzt is one of the best fictional characters ever.
>>
File: wongbook.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wongbook.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
>>28429677
>Storm of Steel
Meine kameraden!
Why do you want to read Art of War though? It's all common sense, you'll waste your time. Try The Analects instead.
>>
>>28429593
Just finished "Killing Floor" by Lee child. It was okay. He's British by birth so he doesn't know a whole lot about firearms.
>>
>>28431773
Where can I find translations of the Kino books?
>>28431850
>>28432036
Would be interested on another opinion on Reacher, was considering reading them at some point.
>>28431887
>You can't learn anything from those that have survived armed encounters.
>>
>>28437623
See mine above. Other poster was kind of right except for the manlet thing. He's a tard for that bit.
>>
>>28436938
>For the Blood Shed by Bonnecarrere. A book about the French Foreign Legion during the First Indochina War, mostly from the grunts POV.
This sounds like the tits. Is there an English translation?

>>28437463
>its like /k/ wrote it
Maybe the intern who wrote it is a /k/ommando.

>>28437623
>Would be interested on another opinion on Reacher, was considering reading them at some point.
They're pretty shit, but I read them all anyway. Junk food of the mind.
>>
>>28437962

>Maybe the intern who wrote it is a /k/ommando.

Either that or he has some kind of advisor that really knows his shit. I'm now very comfortable that our top two candidates are both 110% pro gun, wanting to remove current laws. Feels good to have a chance of powerful allies in politics finally.
>>
File: shhhhhh.jpg (29 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
shhhhhh.jpg
29 KB, 325x500
Quite by Susan Cain

It is not /k/ related but I have a feeling some of you lads would appreciate it.
>>
Had /k/ recommend The Forever Way by Joe Haldeman for a science fiction book a bit back that I really enjoyed.

Read Steel World too based off suggestions and it wasn't too bad,Armor by John Steakley was alright too.

Worth a shot if you want to try some sci-fi stuff out.
>>
>>28437579
So evident. In the latest one, they buy two full retard MP5s like it's no big deal. He even mentions that the sidekick buys them because Reacher might not pass the background check, so he knows a little about guns, but not some shockingly obvious things.

>>28437623
They are very entertaining. A bit formulaic, but if you want a good thriller you could do a lot worse.
>>
File: tumblr_o0a9zgbKZs1qcj2hxo1_540.gif (390 KB, 510x382) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0a9zgbKZs1qcj2hxo1_540.gif
390 KB, 510x382
>>28438041
>I'm now very comfortable that our top two candidates are both 110% pro gun, wanting to remove current laws. Feels good to have a chance of powerful allies in politics finally.
Yeah, but
>tfw Hillary's gonna win
>>
>>28437561
Eh, although it's the Art of Common Sense, it's a nice short read to pass the time.
>>
>>28435949
Oh, yeah, Mahan's book. Been looking to get it.
If the Kaiser loved it, then maybe I will too. I'm also named William, after all.
>>
>>28438569
they are in a dead heat in polls and he only just started spending money. he may crush Hillary.
>>
File: Menger.png (129 KB, 220x334) Image search: [Google]
Menger.png
129 KB, 220x334
>>28432932

>A brief word
>friendo
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.