[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to find an apprenticeship to a local gunsmith.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: kel tec rfb.jpg (103 KB, 883x662) Image search: [Google]
kel tec rfb.jpg
103 KB, 883x662
I'm looking to find an apprenticeship to a local gunsmith. Besides common fucking courtesy, what would help me convince them I'm worth the time? And is there anything I would need beforehand, IE paperwork/driver's license/etc, presuming this is in South Carolina?

> Pic unrelated.
>>
Bump, please.
>>
Just one more time?
>>
you could always spend a huge chunk of cash, drive to Georgia for a bit and come out with a lot of knowledge and precision rifle from Robert Gradous
>>
Bumping for interest, I've always wanted to get into this stuff on the side while attending college
>>
>>28419340

Is your name matt?
>>
>>28419853
Aw, man, I just moved out of Georgia. As nice as that sounds.

>>28419868
Nossir.
>>
>>28419873

Damn. I know a Matt in SC who has the same damn RFB as the one in your pic.
>>
>>28419924
Sad to say I just found that image on google. Very nice rifle, though, perhaps I'll have the fortune to own one someday.
>>
Keep it alive, folks.
>>
Go to trinidad Comunity College.
>>
>>28419340
1. Learn to be a fucking machinist, unless you want to be shit tier.

2. Work on your own guns.

3. Pay someone to teach you.

4. Become friends with someone with the knowledge you need, then learn from then.

Being a machinist is the most important step though.
>>
Unless you get a job and go to college and spend 16 hours a day getting in debt for the rest of your life because you like guns you're not getting into professional gunsmithing without connections or a miracle.
>>
>>28421650
>>28421600
Hm. So they wouldn't be teaching me to run the machines there already? Seems to defeat the purpose of an apprenticeship, though I may be thinking of it the wrong way.
>>
>>28421848

I guess it depends on the kind of business you're wanting to get into... publicly owned or privately owned

I'm >>28421650

Don't let me get you down

I don't know shit lol
>>
>>28421870
I assume it's privately owned. My grandpa used to work at this place, so, as much as I'm not too fond of nepotism, I may just pull that string too. If I suck, though, I'm not the type to waste anyone's time. If I needed a legitimate job I could probably look elsewhere and get better pay, I just think learning the trade will help me along for when I manage to pony up the funds to open a shop of my own.
>>
>>28421600
This.

Learn to machine. Learn basic maths including transposition and trigonometry up to compound angles. A good machining and lathe turning book will help a lot and cost a lot less than a $20k course and you can put that money towards a lathe and milling machine.
>>
>>28422000
Any recommendations on those books?
>>
>>28421650
Some will. Some won't. If you know how to machine, you can figure out most gun smithing stuff. There's a lot of useful skills you'll learn that will carry over into most gunsmithing.

Then there are the artistic sorts of gunsmithing, such as making high end stocks, engraving, inlaying, and such. That's a bit different and rare these days. You'd probably have to get lucky to get into that. There was some guy who claimed to do it on here a year or two ago. Of course it was always someone else with the skills he mentioned.
>>
Offer to sweep the shop and cleanup for the privilege of being able to hang out. After they get to know you they might start teaching you stuff. If they bring up insurance having you there offer to pay for it.

If you want it bad enough then working like a slave for free won't be that bad of an idea.
>>
In this same vein, how would I go about getting an apprenticeship making knives? Pretty much copy/paste of the entire thread?
>>
>>28423109
I dunno, wouldn't just asking to be allowed to sit around staring at them all day be seen as freaky as shit?
>>
>>28422062
Dont remember off the top of my head but i also watched some machining and lathe videos by ATI which is a gunsmithing video company.
>>
>>28423215
Tell them your interested and you're willing to run a broom and clean shit up for them. Get to know them. If you're a normal human being they will probably think your decent enough to start showing you bits. Don't expect to be doing much for the first year
>>
>>28423234
Unfortunate but reasonable enough. Much obliged, please wish me luck.
>>
>>28421907
You need some basic machining skills if you want to be a gunsmith. I guess they could teach you there, but then you're sorta useless until you learn.
>>
>>28423251
I'm afraid the closest thing I have to machining experience is general use of power tools. The idea of sweeping my way into a few lessons doesn't seem that bad, though.
>>
>>28419853
Didn't know that existed.

I thank you but my wallet told me, to tell you, to go fuck yourself.
>>
>>28423178
Wayne Goddard's$50 KnifeShop, Revised. Read this book and save yourself a bunch of money.
>>
>>28421848
As someone who does machining as a living, its more showing the right mindset.

if its a small private shop, learning in your own time shows interest and drive.
It's not about learning everything it's just when you start as a pleb you have atleast a year doing boring menial shit.
also
>>28421907
If you want a shop of your own you damn well better learn in your own time or even when you set up on your own your old employer will be more skilled and experienced than you, you can't change the experience gap but often you can close the skill one, assuming you don't become a cocky ass to your boss
>>
>>28423376
Good points all around, but it looks like the best I can do for right now is start looking for the right books. If it's going to take that long, though, I may be better off waiting till after I get out of Air Force basic. (National guard, so it's not like I won't be around to do it.)
>>
>>28423425
an easy start point for something to drill into your head is read up on the maths for calculating the surface speed of a cutter and how to figure out feed per tooth.

You want to make it so these particular 2 things are just mental maths, if someone came in our place and could pull that off we'd atleast know that they aren't a brick and can work their head around the basics

Try look at
https://www.secotools.com/en-GB/Global/Services--Support/Machining-Navigator/
It's a 1/2 way house between a machine tool catalogue and a machining guide, lots of pointless shit but some useful stuff like explanations and illustrations of what causes different types of wear of a cutting tip
>>
>>28423425
If you go to a gunsmith and start telling them all about some shit you read in a book don't expect to buddy up.
>>
>>28423425
You can also start looking around for machining tools to practice on. Flea markets often have cheap machinery.
>>
>>28423573
Maybe not, but I also sure as hell don't expect to buddy up to them if I come in there with not even the slightest idea of what the hell I'm doing.

>>28423560
Got it, I'll work on this as well.

>>28423595
Money's tight, but I'll see what I can do.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.