[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a thread about the first Gulf War, a war not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 37
File: highway91www.jpg (51 KB, 504x310) Image search: [Google]
highway91www.jpg
51 KB, 504x310
Let's have a thread about the first Gulf War, a war not nearly talked enough about on /k/.

Discuss
>Mike Vinning
>Stormin' Norman
>The Highway to Hell
>Fratracide & British asspain
>The complete and total face fucking of the 4th largest, battle hardened, trained, and best equipped military on Earth in a matter of days by the Coalition
>The unimaginable power of a US armored/mechanized battalion with good logistics and air support
>Tactics weapons and equipment
>>
File: dogbless.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dogbless.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
won't someone think of the children
>>
The Air Force won the war way before it was ever over.
>>
None of it counted because kebabs and monkey models.

However Saudis getting BTFO in Yemen means all Western equipment is meme.
>>
>>28418542
Did you just contradict yourself on purpose?
>>
>>28418347
My dad was there dont know much more then that. something about A10s turning everything into dust.
>>
>>28418514
The Air Force basically sodomized the entire Iraqi commqnd and control system, logistics, anti air defenses, and most of their air power (all of which were quite advanced) in the opening hours of the war. The Air Force expected up to half of the aircraft deployed to be shot down in the first night, and up to 2/3rds of the ground forces to be casualties.

Turns out AWACS and smart bombs were WAAAAAAAAAYYYY more of a game changer than originally thought.

The initial offensive was so successful infact that Norman halted all offensive operations for nearly 3 days because he was convinced the Iraqis were baiting them into a hidden nuclear and/or chemical attack in the desert.
>>
File: that's real fuckin NATO.jpg (487 KB, 2000x1274) Image search: [Google]
that's real fuckin NATO.jpg
487 KB, 2000x1274
Every so often you get one of those golden moments.
>>
>>28418347
the first Gulf War is why we have the PLA of today. The Chinese generals watched the war live on tv with the rest of the world, and you know what they saw? A Army with newer equipment than them get slaughtered. Late 80's, early 90s, the PLA was still basically the same Army they had in the 1950s. We woke the Sleeping Dragon with our victory.
>>
File: 61bde04cf.jpg (180 KB, 860x650) Image search: [Google]
61bde04cf.jpg
180 KB, 860x650
>Iraqi Republican guard units were used to mass formations and human wave attacks
>They were stupid enough to assemble massive units of men and vehicles in the open desert with no air defenses
>their face when CBU87 cluster munitions
>>
File: 54923125.jpg (125 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
54923125.jpg
125 KB, 500x375
>>28418554
>>
Anyone else think Jarhead was a very underrated movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFUgDYwyC2s
>>
>>28418630
>6 months into invade Kuwait and chill and he give you this look
>>
Did we use older tanks than then Abrams I. The first gulf war?

I seem to remember. M60s or someone but I was four years old
>>
>war

148 KIA to an estimated 120,000 KIA as well as 400,000 captured is hardly a war.
>>
>>28418678
I believe there were still M60s in the inventory at the time but I don't know if any actually saw combat. As >>28418573 points out, they weren't expecting the war to be so one sided. It wouldn't surprise me if they started shipping some M60s in that directions to replace losses that never happened.
>>
>>28418659

It was better than I remembered.

Solid film, I understand why young, propagandized patriot me didnt like it.
>>
>>28418678
The Muhreens had M60 tanks with reactive armor that I think we bought off the self from the IDF, in some units, and M1s in others. Not sure about the Army, I also don't know if any of the Reserve or Guard units had M60 tanks. I was 17 when the the invasion happened. Then everything was over before the end of my senior year and I had to wait until 2003 to finally go to war myself.
>>
>>28418678
Marines had some M60s in the Gulf War, yes, but most of the tanks were Abrams'
>>
Not much to discuss. The war, you see, is when the TWO modern armies are fighting. Desert Storm was conducted mostly by air force in plain desert, againt severely outnumbered opponent with no contemporary AA. Bear in mind how much of their imported armor predated american two decades and you have classic example of conventional overkill, that nevertheless demonstrated how the US were capable at taking down defenseless 3rd world governments.
>>
>>28418758
>I was born after 1995: the post
>>
>>28418794
Kek

I remember watching this stuff on tv!
>>
>>28418659
underrated? I thought people loved it
>>
Had an old scout adviser who staffed the National Jamboree with Schwarzkopf. Hell, they were even tent mates. They still talked every now and then, cool guy from what he said.
>>
>>28418758
>one side lost that war so it doesn't count as a war

kids these days, I swear.
>>
>>28418855
was he a pedo?
>>
>>28418827
Well then either you were watching the most pro America propaganda ever or you remember wrong.

We did extremely well due to a combination of luck, good planning, and muslim incompetence.

The Iraqi military was very modern, very large, and very well equipped. They were also very well experienced and trained by muzzie standards. Gear wise, they had both more and better gear than both Germany and France and were a regional superpower.
>>
>>28418876
Haha no, never ran into one my whole scouting career despite what the stats claim.
>>
>>28418659
It's fashionable to hate this movie on /k/ since it depicted the corps for what it really is. Bunch of pathological sociopaths with an itching death wish and no hope adapting to human life.
>>
>>28418827
Jokes on you liar, they didn't have TV back then :p
>>
>>28418896
>tfw enlisting after I get my degree
>tfw I was ignorant before I came to this place
I was happy goddamnit.
>>
>>28418909
Ya dun goofd nigga.

This is a Gulf War thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1875x2428) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1875x2428
>>28418709
That makes a lot of sense thanks
>>
>>28418617
And they still suck shit to this day. Says quite a bit about the dragon.
>>
>>28418883
Most of their ground forces were wildly out of date.

If they had actually had modern tanks and used good tactics, they would have inflicted far more losses.
>>
>>28419691
But they didn't.

Just because one side of a war sucks doesn't mean that it isn't a true war.
>>
>>28418709
The M60s saw combat with the USMC. They did quite well as they had better trained crews and got off the fist rounds in every engagement.
>>
>>28418870
you have to admit, it's really funnY stuff.
>>
>>28418758
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
>>
>>28419691
>used good tactics
The tactics they used served them well, for the most part, in an 8 year war with Iran.

No one at the time expected the Iraqis to be run over so quickly
>>
>>28418617
And the Sleeping Dragon got up, took a leak, ate half a bagel, and went back to bed.
>>
Anybody remember these?
>>
>>28419880
Haha, damn. I remember those. Kids had them all over, but I have no idea where they came from.
>>
>>28419985
>I have no idea where they came from
gray psyop
>>
>>28420007
I think it would have been better as a collectible card game, but I don't think those had been invented yet.
>>
>>28418514
This, and my father was part of it. I remember when I was young, and it was career day at school, my father would come in for the air force and show videos of planes wrecking shit. A lot of it was tanks, bridges, buildings, technicals, and people, getting blasted to hell. I'm not sure if they were videos of him doing all that, never asked, but I've seen a ton of the on board video of shit blowing up.

Oh, and he flew an A10. Shit was cash to look inside of and to be around.
>>
>>28418883
>The Iraqi military was very modern, very large, and very well equipped.
Are you fucking shitting me? The Iraqi military was total shit. It was large, that's all. They got beaten by Iran some years before. Iran, the country that used to send waves of fanatics to clear minefields, running. At the time of the war the Iraqi equipment consisted of outdated or monkey model Soviet (T-55, Scud, monkey T-72 and MiG's) and Western stuff (monkey Mirage F-1...) all of which hadn't received much maintenance (Iraq broke, Russia in economic collapse). Couple this with the legendary corruption and inefficiency of Arab armies, and you'll quickly see that Iraq never stood a chance against western armies featuring cutting edge technology (stealth bombers, electronic warfare, modern tanks, AWACS, laser-guided bombs, A-10...) and better strategy.
>>
>>28420069
Definitely today if the government did something like that they could get people to pay $7.99 for a pack of 12 or so. I mean, people buy yu-gi-oh cards.
>>
>>28418347
Its exactly how a non nuclear WWIII against the USSR would have went
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 675x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 675x360
>>28419772
They lost the war against Iran. Iran had purged its military and Air Force, was under sanctions by almost all countries and still managed to beat "modern" Iraq.
>>
>>28420140
Fraid not. The Soviets wouldn't have huddled there and let us bomb the living fuck out of them for weeks on end. They would have been coming straight at us, and bringing their own air with them.
>>
>>28418855

I read Schwarzkopf autobiography. Sounded like a bit of an asshole but he knew what he was doing.

Could tell even through text he felt really bad about the Vietnam situation. Had made friends with Southern officers and never found out what happened to all of them after the war.

Other fun tidbit: my uncle got to tag some of those Highway of Hell bodies from what I've heard, but he never talks about it himself.
>>
File: 1435718209589.jpg (284 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1435718209589.jpg
284 KB, 1024x683
The star of that show for me.
>>
>>28418347
Remember how iraq used to be a pretty sweet country that hated the US but never bothered us? They had a decent standard of living. Sure sadam was an ass but he kept the peace. Man, We fucked that place to hell and back. It's a chaotic shithole now.

I'm kinda proud of what we did.
>>
>>28420123
What's Dick Cheney's special attack?
>>
>>28419880
Man, I have a CASE of those things unopened in my kid brothers closet.
>>
>>28420298
Unforeseen shotgun blast.
>>
>The Iraqi Army had no night fight capability with their tanks
>>
>>28420406
Also since Dick cheats death for heart disease so much he gets to go back in your deck after discard
>>
>>28420404
Open and scan.
>>
>>28419880
Anyone still got their 52 most wanted from 2003?
>>
>>28420639
Yeah, but the Qusay card has a permanent jizz stain on it for some reason.
>>
>>28420931
8 of hearts was always my fav
>>
>>28418659
>>28418712
it probably did a good job at showing how the war was really like from a soldiers perspective. lots of sit and wait, war over instantly, nobody gets what they wanted, home life is fucked for all.

unfortunately it was boring as fuck and completely bland from start to end.
I think that was mostly the point, but shit, i'm watching a movie because i'm already bored, dont punish the viewer for giving the film a chance, completely fucked up my sympathy for the overall message.
>>
>>28418347
>>Stormin' Norman

I heard he recently died. Did i hear correctly?
>>
>>28421199
December 27, 2012
>>
>>28421210
>December 27, 2012

And here my boss acted like it was this year
>>
>>28420639
I have several un-opened decks.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 240x171) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 240x171
>>28419880
Somehow I had this one in grade school. Couldn't tell you how I got it.
>>
>>28418574
Could only be better if it had a Tomcat
>>
>>28420639
I've got a deck lying around somewhere.
>>
File: 1451359500389.jpg (131 KB, 1200x780) Image search: [Google]
1451359500389.jpg
131 KB, 1200x780
desert storm was awful, i was 2 months old and our building had no water or power due to strategic bombing in Baghdad

it ruined my family financially for decades to come

me and my single mother live in canada now trying to get our lives together, my grandfather was an iraqi scientist and up until my birth they all lived an upper-class lifestyle

Im in college now so i cant complain, but its definitely up to me to help my family financially once i graduate
>>
>>28418706
It's a buttfucking.
>>
>>28419880
DUDE, yes! I haven't seen those in years.
>>
>>28420155
To get killed faster, and for their shit machine fliers to get blowed up all the sooner.
>>
>>28422771
Shouldn't have fucked with our freedom then.
>>
File: 1386212118947.jpg (25 KB, 419x436) Image search: [Google]
1386212118947.jpg
25 KB, 419x436
>>28418758
>The war, you see, is when the TWO modern armies are fighting.
Iraqi equipment on the ground was comparable in performance to the bulk of slavshit used in the homeland.
>Desert Storm was conducted mostly by air force in plain desert
Look up General Fred Franks.
>againt severely outnumbered opponent with no contemporary AA
Look up the Package Q strike.
>Bear in mind how much of their imported armor predated american two decades
your face when RGFC T-72A1s got slapped just the same as the T-72M1s.
>>
>>28420102
Hindsight is always 20/20. They were impressive on paper, and the us hadn't been involved in anything major since Vietnam. (Granada and Panama were small potatoes). At the time, there was a major concern over possible losses, particularly with the aftertaste of Vietnam still somewhat fresh. Meanwhile, the Iraqis were veterans of a recent major war and were more experienced (non-conscript units). Plus, much of the new tech was also untested. Not to mention the fear that Saddam would gas the troops, as he had used it before.

So, good planning and luck did play a significant role. If the Hail Mary failed, the war could have lasted much longer and caused significant US casualties. There was a large anti sentiment, and they'd make plenty of noise if that occurred.

And my favorite Gulf War card was the military alphabet one.
>>
>>28422771
اول مرة اشوف اذا عراقي هنا.
بس ولله خطية صدام الجرذ شسوو بيه ههههه
>>
How did the USA manage to win the 72 Easting tank battle?
Sure they had better training but the Iraqis had a massive numbers advantage
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKi3NwLFkX4

he did these talks a lot. sorry if this already posted
>>
>>28421210
The feels man, didn't realize he died
>>
>>28423216
A couple of reasons led to coalition victory.

1- the Iraqis basically sat there in exposed positions, positions the Americans could see with superior optics.
2- the Iraqis had no forward "warning" elements. This is a poorly considered but vital element in any defensive, since reserves in depth are vital.
3- the Iraqis, having been unceasingly obliterated under coalition air strikes, operated in skeleton crews due to fear of death by sudden explosion. When the Americans started engaging, the Iraqis apparently thought they were air strikes and some fled from their tanks.

The Iraqis were then overrun and routed.

Sauce: military power: explaining victory and defeat in modern battle. Biddle, Stephen 2004. Pg. 132-150
>>
File: gulfwar.jpg (252 KB, 1242x734) Image search: [Google]
gulfwar.jpg
252 KB, 1242x734
>>
>>28418896
Are you new here? /k/ seriously fucking hates the marines in almost every thread I see
>>
>>28418347
Organized by general Kadijević
>>
>>28418706
>if it's not a mutual slaughter it doesn't count as a war

Says who?
>>
File: ss (2016-01-04 at 10.55.23).jpg (37 KB, 330x217) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-04 at 10.55.23).jpg
37 KB, 330x217
>>28420217
>>
What was this war even over, anyway?

Something about the Suez Canal.

Sorry. Was born in '95.
>>
>>28422771
Thats what you get for fucking with america bitch
>>
>>28425574
The Wests continued effort to hold the middle east together with chewing gum and good intentions
>>
>>28425574
The west supporting muslim terrorists in kuwait, who provoked Saddam into invading them.
>>
>>28425574
So basically Iraq and Kuwait are part of OPEC, a cabal of oil exporting nations (iraq, saudis, venezuela, etc.). Now a fun economic fact, everyone has motivation to cheat in a cartel, cuz if prices are fixed it benefits the cheater to produce just a little bit more (if oil is selling at a fixed $30 a barrel and everyone "agrees" to produce X amount of barrels, you can cheat and get a little more money by producing extra). This will be important in a moment.

Now every nation is a little different economically. Iraq, bankrupting itself more or less during the Iran-Iraq war and other bugaloos found itself short on cash. Kuwait was comparatively wealthy, as were the saudis, and the slogan of the era was "drill baby drill". This meant cheap oil. This is bad for oil revenue, but great for securing market share. Kuwait also owned a bunch of Iraqi debt, but Iraq's protests of "m8 i need cash bad, cant we cut back on oil?" fell of deaf ears.

The final straw came as Saddam accused kuwait of cheating and drilling diagonally to access oil in iraq. Iraq responded by invading kuwait. This threatened OPEC's existance in some ways, as Iraq now controlled Kuwait and there were concerns over the possibility of a war with the Saudis.

Enter america and the coalition. These nations ultimately began a long air campaign followed up with a 3-day ground offensive known as "Operation Desert Storm" along with the liberation of Kuwait.

The long term effects have been interesting:
The Iraqi army was believed to be "competent". Don't laugh, the Iraqis were believed to be battle hardened, had pretty new equipment (best they could buy from the Soviet Union), and had a large army. Most 3rd world and communist nations would have LOVED to have an army like Saddam's and they got BTFO'd. Hence you have nations like North Korea making nukes or exploring other ways of war, since obviously a large army meant jack shit.
>>
>>28425907
>This threatened OPEC's existance in some ways, as Iraq now controlled Kuwait and there were concerns over the possibility of a war with the Saudis.
It was more than just that. Taking Kuwait gave Iraq a huge portion of the global oil market, and nobody was comfortable letting Saddam have that much control over the global economy.
>>
>>28425907
>The final straw came as Saddam accused kuwait of cheating and drilling diagonally to access oil in iraq
Something they actually were doing
So the invasion is 100% justified
>>
>>28425933
>>28425949

As far as their control over a significant market share, sorry I thought that was implied by my post but thanks for clearing that up for future anons.

As for diaganol drilling, yeah the Kuwaitis were, but again as another anon mentioned Iraq having a fuck-huge share of oil was just u settling to much of the 1st world.
>>
>>28425969
Plus there are tons of steps that Iraq could have taken to protest the diagonal drilling short of actually invading. They pretty much handled themselves the way Japan did in WW2:
>Oh no these guys are threatening our economy
>better forgo any diplomatic means and start raping and pillaging our way across their country to "defend" ourselves
>>
>>28425992
Thats BS, who is going to make the kuwaiti stop?
>>
>>28426011
Would it not be in OPEC's interest to discourage behavior like that?
>>
>>28426044
OPEC is dominated by the House of Saud
it was not in the interests of the House to have a non-religious dictator with a huge army as a neighbor
so America went to war
>>
>>28426011
Of course there's no guarantee that international pressure will get them to stop. But by at least pretending to care about the formalities they could have put the international community on their side before ultimately invading.

Plus, the way they went about the occupation really didn't help their cause. A "justified" invasion would have involved little more than just destroying the offending oil wells imposing some punitive measures. Instead, the Iraqis showed they had every intent of occupying Kuwait indefinitely and they pillaged much of the country in the brief time they held it.

The way Saddam went about the invasion makes it seem like the cross-border drilling was nothing more than a convenient excuse for something he was already planning rather than a true "defensive" measure.
>>
>>28420227
Because you're a stupid scumbag
>>
>>28418430
Who's this?
>>
>>28426064
?
Looks like they spent the whole 80's complaining about Kuwait over drilling.
So who would they protest to?

When serbia protested about muslims murdering serbs, who listened? Did it make their invasions of kosovo legitimate? No.
>>
>>28426344
My point was more that the causus belli of Kuwait drilling across the border loses a lot of its weight when Iraq proceeded to act as if they were there to stay rather than just put an end to the slant-drilling.
>>
File: 1420012982844.jpg (400 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1420012982844.jpg
400 KB, 1920x1040
>>28418347
>4th largest, battle hardened, trained, and best equipped military on Earth
>>
This belongs in /his/, retardosii
>>
>>28425161
Call the rest of the world, I don't give a fuck. They can't ungas you.
>>
>>28426378
Didn't stop the US from occupying Iraq and Afghanistan, when their casus belli was "get osama" or "muh wmds"
>>
>>28426450
Is there not a "more then 25 years" rule on his?
>>
>>28418662

reddit meme
>>
>>28426476
That was a bit different. Our occupations were at least nominally for nation-building (or installing a puppet government depending on how you see it), whereas Saddam looked like he had every intention of annexing.

Plus, going in under the guise of a benevolent occupier tends to go over a hell of a lot better on the world stage than whatever the fuck Saddam was doing.
>>
>>28426494
To be fair, this barely meets that criteria.
>>
>>28418347
I know the 5th Marine to walk into Iraq. His name I wont mention, but he was like a brother to my mom growing up untill he went crazy after he came back.

>be my friends dad
>he is always a cool person, but if you piss him off he gets almost to the point of beating you
>never does though
>always timid
>keeps all of his fans on low so it doesn't make any triggering sounds
>drives a huge pickup
>his house is full of security measures
>cameras
>guns
>he is always carrying a GLOCK brand glock or a 1911 on him
>if actually seen him carry both once
>at my friends house one night
>he comes out of the kitchen with a bear and in his cami's
>sits in the rocking chair and just stares
>ask if he is alright
>just stares at nothing, and then finally looks at me and asks if I want to hear a story
>my friend says he doesn't know, some of his story's are utter bullshit
>he starts by asking if i knew he was in the MC
>I say yes
The rest ill green text from his POV
>I was just 23 at the time
>I I was the MG, with the 249
>we had just gotten our orders to storm Iraq the first time, as part of OP Desert Storm
>we had joked around about Sadam up to that point, about hoe he was a little pussy and how he'd back down before we even got into country
>bit when that order came, our hearts sank into our balls
>we all called our gf's
>the older fucks called their wives and children, and our CO just sat in his office and drank. I remember that part because I went in to ask him if we were really doing this. Formally, of course
>after getting through a bullshit amount of we're going NOW's and hold orders, we finally made our way over
>it took us almost days it felt like to begin to see contact
>but she we did, it was the most horrifying experience in my life
>untill we had to clean up the bodies
>that was the worst
>seeing chard bodies laying about on glassy sand
>in blown up cars
>soldiers killed because they tried to surrender
>dead Royal guards because they had no food
Cont.
>>
File: Let'sEatTrash.jpg (8 KB, 250x244) Image search: [Google]
Let'sEatTrash.jpg
8 KB, 250x244
>>28426394
They were the 4th largest, they had a lot of soldiers. This guy is pulling the best equipped, hardened, and trained shit out of his ass though.

As per usual, OP is a faggot.
>>
File: 20160104_101857.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160104_101857.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28419880
>>28421734
Yessir
>>
>>28422962
Explain to me how Iraq fucked with the US?
>>
>>28426530
Cont. From last post. Sorry guys, I'm on my phone today.
> leaning ip the body's is what's messed me up the most
>I cant even think about anyone dying without remembering trying to burn those body's
>yea, our CC made us burn the body's
>at first we started burrying them, but that took to long
>so we just burned them into ashes
>I cant get rid of that smell either
>its stuck in my nose
>but, after all of that, Operation Desert Storm was by far the most fun I had in the MC ever
>just because Marines are dumb shits when we're bored
I have another story he told me a few years later. I haven't seen them in almost 3 years, so I haven't heard anymore stories from him. But this one is pretty good, if you guys wanna hear it.
>>
File: 20160104_102316.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160104_102316.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28426543
Some rad cards
>>
File: 1429715170200.jpg (49 KB, 578x434) Image search: [Google]
1429715170200.jpg
49 KB, 578x434
>>28426536
I remember some thread like this and some guy pulled out a link to some website where they had moniterd what the soviets said during the gulf war.

And keept going to say alot of things to prove his point. That they had best equipment and such and had fought a bloody war against Iran.
>>
there were usmc m60a3s
>>
>>28426530
>he comes out of the kitchen with a bear and in his cami's
>bear
what
>>
>>28426590
By burning our oil supply. That was the whole reason we went in. Because they started burning the oil fields.

The reason we went in wasn't solely based on Sadam using chemical weapons, it was because he said "FUCK YOU AMERIKA."

Everything we've done past WWII has been a political move. Granted, there were some political reasons for going to WWII, but not the biggest reason.
So yes, Sadam "fucked" with our "freedom."
>>
>>28426641
Auto correct is fucking dumb. I meant a beer. It changes the story.
>>
>>28426658
>being this much of an ignorant retard
>>
>>28426670
i kind of expected a final sentence plot twist concerning the bear
>>
>>28426608

>that pic

I think I saved a picture on one of my devices of the first AP sabot tank shell.

The story was, it busted through whatever it's target was, the huge pile of sand and dirt behind it, and went a mile or so through a heavily forested area busting through trees. It was found like two miles away lodged in a wood electricity pole.

It was cut down and replaced and the sabot remains halfway through a foot long section of the pole in someone's house.

Scury stuff.
>>
>>28426684
>being this much of a sheapel
You are really ignorant if you think we went un only because he was using Chemical weapons against his own people.
>>
>>28426704
I know DU's damage to humans is blown out of proportion, but who would keep it in their house?
>>
>>28426684

It's all about the oil for the US. Why would they give a fuck about some third world dictator using chemical weapons on his third world population?
>>
File: ert.jpg (33 KB, 330x499) Image search: [Google]
ert.jpg
33 KB, 330x499
Just started reading the book:
Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War.
Amazing how quickly this has faded into obscurity in our country.
>>
>>28426708
he sent the oil wells on fire after the invasion

>>28426723
>muh blood for oil
And then the US gets zero of the oil coming out of iraq...
>>
>>28426695
Oh, sorry m8. I'll make another ending for you.

>after explaining this whole story for me, he turns and looks at me in the eyes
>the bear is going hog wild at this point, trying to escape
>he twists its neck
>slits it's throat
>drinks all of his blood
Honestly, I would expect him to do this at some point.
>>
>>28426658
I thought they started burning oil when they had to retreat
>>
>>28426278
Some bitch who lied about what the Iraqis were doing in Kuwait to garner support for the war. She said that the Iraqis went into a hospital and took the babies out of the incubators to kill them.
>>
>>28426748
>>28426742
Yea, you're right they did. It wasn't Sadam oil we went over to protect. It was Kuwait's oil fields. He went after his only after he burned them.

My bad guys.
>>
>>28418709
The marines were still using m60s
>>
File: m1-tank-sabot.gif (27 KB, 400x188) Image search: [Google]
m1-tank-sabot.gif
27 KB, 400x188
>>28426608
Fuck you and your bitch ass hull down position, I'm a sabot bitch
>>
>>28418709
They did use them. My dad used them in the UAE. Of course that was the Air Force. But still, they were being used.
>>
The war that misled the armed forces into thinking that they need only be concerned about applying enough force. The rest will handle itself.

Saddam considered it a victory. He stood against the strongest coalition ever fielded and stayed in power.
>>
>>28426802
>and stayed in power
I know this is bait,but I watched his hanging on live television. He didn't stay alive.
>>
>>28426801
Stop posting
>>
File: 1439047382145.gif (2 MB, 1280x586) Image search: [Google]
1439047382145.gif
2 MB, 1280x586
>>28426797
P-please s-stop

>>28426819
That was in the invasion of Iraq you pleb. Operation Iraqi freedom.
>>
>>28426821
I should say the same for you. If you can't talk through something you don't like without completely bashing someone else and not adding a point to the argument, you shouldn't even be allowed to talk.
>>
I'm engaged to an Iraqi Kurd. Her mother lived under Saddam and would later move to Turkey. She doesn't talk about it much, but she survived several chemical attacks and bombings, lost all her brothers after they had joined the Peshmerga and had to apply for refugee status once she escaped to Turkey with her daughter and son and even after all that, her husband (ex-peshmerga) left her.

As someone who has visited Iraq, particularly Kurdistan, I can say with full certainty that it is not a happy country, especially now that another conflict has emerged, but the people are incredibly resilient and welcoming. I never heard a bad thing about the USA while I was there and most taxis had American flag seat covers. The Americans had a great influence on the Kurds, yes, but a lot of the older generation, including my mother in law, say that when Saddam was in power, despite all the problems, the country was remarkably safe and a hell of a lot more stable. The Gulf War is going to resonate through the country for many years to come, unfortunately.
>>
>>28425161
Afghanistan ??
>>
File: k.png (11 KB, 490x318) Image search: [Google]
k.png
11 KB, 490x318
>>28426744
there we go
>>
>>28418659
I remember seeing it in theaters and hating it.

But I was expecting a black hawk down kind of movie so I didn't like it.

Saw it again when older and liked it a lot.
>>
>>28426841
Stop posting you illiterate, mouth breathing, cousin fucking, slack jawed, inbred bastard child retard
>>
>>28426894
learn to filter
>>
>>28426834
just dropping into this thread to compliment this STUNNING AND PHENOMENAL GIF. it surprised me in it's subtlety and delivery. 11/10. this poster is friendly and probably cute.
>>
>>28426865
>I'm engaged to an Iraqi Kurd.
Are you white? why the hell would you do that?
>>
>>28426933

>are you white
Yes

>why the hell would you do that
Fell in love with her

Literally as simple as that
>>
>>28426834
At first I was like "JPEG" but then I was like "shit this is good"
>>
>>28426939
>fell in love with a k*rd
~__~
>>
>>28426905
This is more fun
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>28426865

>It was much more stable and safe when I was getting gassed and all my brothers had to leave to fight
>>
>>28426720

You know radiation is all around you, all the time?

DUs major dangers are from manufacturing it or inhaling dust from it.

One of the reasons I don't agree with DU much anymore, if shooting it salts the enemies land, it's a bad thing to do. Humans tend to need agricultural land, you know, to live.
>>
>>28426819
Saddam considered the first gulf war a victory. Not the second. Are you just b8ing, or are you really this dense?
>>
>>28426948
turk detected
>>
File: 1444681699226.png (464 KB, 667x750) Image search: [Google]
1444681699226.png
464 KB, 667x750
>>28426932
>>28426946
>11/10. this poster is friendly and probably cute.
A-anon...

>>28426993
Well maybe not that part.
>>
>>28427029
god damnit i up my rating to 12 just because of that adorable stammer.

I dream to one day woo a cute /k/ommando in your honour,
>>
>>28426948

Butt mad Syrian detected
>>
>>28420153
The Iran Iraq war ended in pretty much a stalemate, neither side could really get one over on the other.
>>
>>28427040
>>28427009
commie enablers
k*rd enablers
spotted
>>
>>28427053

>commie enablers

Explain reasoning please
>>
>>28418574
Diamonds dick is diamonds
>>
File: m60_27.jpg (1 MB, 1430x1038) Image search: [Google]
m60_27.jpg
1 MB, 1430x1038
>>28418678

Yes, M60s were used to some extent.

There's a persistant rumor that a single unit of USMC M60s were used during the fight for an airport somewhere and took out several/fifty/five hundred/an entire army's worth of T-55s/T-62s/T-72s/time travelling Armatas.

The type of iraqi tank and the number differs based on who's telling the story and what time of day it is, but there's no denying that M60s were at least in theater during the war.
>>
>>28418712
nothing wanted to make me join as much as watching jarhead, even now
>>
File: m60_17.jpg (903 KB, 1686x1092) Image search: [Google]
m60_17.jpg
903 KB, 1686x1092
>>28427087

Another Gulf War M60.
>>
>>28427063
Kurdish Workers Party
>>
>>28427100

>implying the PKK are even relevant anymore amongst the dozens of other Kurdish Defense groups

Please try again in 24hrs
>>
>>28427118
Peoples' Democratic Party (Turkey)
Kurds are commies.
>>
File: image.png (86 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
86 KB, 640x960
>>28427128

Americans are commies
>>
>>28426594
hey, I want to read it.
>>
>>28427159
that list is missing the democrats and republicans
>>
>>28426756
I think it turned out she wasn't even Kuwaiti
>>
>>28427200
Thats how the US has created their casus bellis the last 100+ years
Nothing new
>>
>>28418347
>The complete and total face fucking of the 4th largest, battle hardened, trained, and best equipped military on Earth

Ppl still believe this.
Those dudes just lost a war against iran. That purged most of the army command during the islamic revolution.
They lost beside beeing supported by the gulf states the russian and america.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 480x553) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 480x553
>mfw people deployed with m3 grease guns in this war
>>
>>28426723
ITS NOT ABOUT OIL, ITS ABOUT LIZARD PEOPLE !!!
>>
>>28419856
Top kek
>>
>>28427357
And 7.62N Brens and 1919s if I recall.
>>
File: 1435294008392.png (469 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1435294008392.png
469 KB, 700x700
>>28422771
Native Canadian here. Please leave my country, your kind is not wanted.

Seriously, how much of a winging faggot do you have to be to complain about something that happened to you when you were two months old? Do you remember being bombed? No? Oh , well then looks like it didn't personally effect you at all and now you get to go to college in a first world nation because of it.

You should be thanking America, tbqh
>>
File: 1341116897318.gif (309 KB, 258x277) Image search: [Google]
1341116897318.gif
309 KB, 258x277
>>28428148
>Native Canadian here

inuit or eskimo
>>
>>28428977
Anglo :^)
>>
>>28427315
And as far as anyone was concerned the Americans lost in Vietnam against "poor rice farmers". And the French lost in Vietnam, Algeria, etc.

The fact of the matter is everyone was preparing for American Vietnam 2.0: desert edition.

The Americans DID think the Iraqis were going to be a tough target, as did a fuck ton of people. The US lost about 200 troops, the coalition about 1200 overall. We were expecting greater losses PER DAY, 200 troops to seize a nation is ludicrously cheap in terms of blood.
>>
File: 1308036377808.jpg (23 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1308036377808.jpg
23 KB, 330x330
>>28428989

>Native
>Anglo
>>
>>28418347
>Iraq rightfully claims Kuwait is slant drilling
>killboxes
>US gets to test new doctrines, systems and has excuse to dump outdated equipment
>>
>>28428989
quebecois are the true natives :^)
>>
question:

since the war showed how unexpectedly good modern US military equipment was, what were the results of this long term?

Did Arab states start to buy more US equipment rather than Slav, and did Slav states and Russia shit themselves (and re-organized their military)

Is there any examples of the Chinese as well watching what was going on in Iraq and taking action as a result
>>
File: 961_001.jpg (127 KB, 1019x983) Image search: [Google]
961_001.jpg
127 KB, 1019x983
>>28419880
Real reason he orchestrated 9/11 and the Iraq War? He wanted a series 2 of this. Too bad everyone misunderstood when he said he wanted some "playing cards" made.
>>
File: anna_smile.png (211 KB, 487x590) Image search: [Google]
anna_smile.png
211 KB, 487x590
Just watched Jarhead. I'm not even a marine, but still a fucking solid 10/10 modern war movie and Swoff and his life was basically how I re-enlisted and a hefty lot of us are off to deploy overseas and now the uniform takes a whole new meaning again. If you ever served, you know what it's like. War is just not how it used to be in the fucking WW2/Vietnam flicks or CoD spinoffs.

>"What the fuck are you even doing here?"
>"Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir."

>...but I thank Lord of every day he gives me in the Corps

>the feeeeeels
>>
>>28429895
OOOOO-RRRAH
>>
>>28423260

i want to see one of these for every war
>>
File: grab-a-bear-and-relax2.jpg (141 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
grab-a-bear-and-relax2.jpg
141 KB, 620x349
>>28426641
>>28426670
>>
File: 1444696726897.jpg (191 KB, 1295x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444696726897.jpg
191 KB, 1295x1080
>>28429895
>this scene is in the movie
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ugPVW6YIY

it's a crappy movie, just shut up newfag
>>
>>28429335
Basically the rest of the third world saw their hope of a north Vietnamese army style victory evaporate. As I mentioned earlier, many nations then saw the Iraqis as a competent force and would have loved to have an army like them.

North Korea noticed something very important. Having chemical weapons wasn't a gurantee of security, something stronger was needed. Hence they develop nukes, hence why Iran wants nukes, so on. Even the Chinese looked at their stuff and was like ".... FML our shit isn't any better".

It isn't just tech though, there's lots of doctrine stuff that matters, like command and control structure, and in that sense a lot HASNT changed.

Western, particularly American thought, encourages decision making at the lowest possible level and independent manouevering as necessary. In Iraq, much of it was centralized and top-down, because ambitious and intelligent officers are a threat to the status quo and regime.

The result is what we saw- in many cases the Iraqis, having lost central authority, more or less sat there. In an environment that discourages independent authority and autonomy, strategic command structure loss (Comms, dead/captured officers, Ewar) leads to paralysis, as few know what's going on or even what they should do. Not to say the West is immune to this, but western military history has plenty of officers who, with no real direction, went "eh fuck it" and made a push.
>>
>>28420096
>I remember when I was young, and it was career day at school, my father would come in for the air force and show videos of planes wrecking shit. A lot of it was tanks, bridges, buildings, technicals, and people, getting blasted to hell.
KEK
I would love to see someone try to do that in a school today.
>>
My dad gave me some cool war trophies from Desert Storm. Back then you could actually bring stuff home. I have a Republican Guard licence plate from a tank he blew up and another tank's periscope. Also have a whole box of unopened Desert Storm booster packs, never bothered to check if they're worth anything.
>>
>>28418557
This guy I worked with saw some guy get his head evaporated from a10 misfire while doing some maintence. He was some chairforce plane mechanic in the gulf war.
>>
>>28426476
Look up TransAfghan pipeline to understand why we are really in Afghanistan. In '91 my golf buddy was a Navy flyer assigned to Air Force One in the Pacific. He disappeared for about six months and upon his return he claimed he'd been working non-stop taxiing Bush administration officials and cronies to DurkaDurkaStan in the Caspian Sea region and they were buying natural gas filed leases by the suitcase full.

Fast forward 8 years, Enron has bought up all the gas refinery capacity in India. Huge American military presence in Caucasus Mountains to act as a regional police force - and whoever can make the spice flow from the Black Sea to India is going to rich beyond fucking comprehension.

Follow the money.
>>
I recall some Delta-dude...might have been Larry Vickers- tell about being helied into a spot where they were looking for a bunch of telephone poles out in the desert.

Why were they looking for telephone poles? i can only think they might have had some NBC significance.
>>
>>28434079
lines of communication.

They might have wanted to tap into the telephone poles
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.