[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The how or the why doesnt matter now. The last choice you get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: winter-survival-tips-threes.jpg (209 KB, 1000x427) Image search: [Google]
winter-survival-tips-threes.jpg
209 KB, 1000x427
The how or the why doesnt matter now. The last choice you get to make will be where. You will be surviving and hopefully thriving for the rest of your life, where will you choose to make a go of it?

High mountains? (Rockies, Appalachians) low mountains? (Valley, or at the foot of the mountains) the great plains? (great fertile ground, almost no defense) South West? (Brutal summers, no winter, agriculture difficult in many areas) South East? (Brutal humid summers, no real winter, perfect farming and hunting.) North East? Mild summers, brutal winters. Agriculture comes easy but short grow seasons. Hunting can be difficult)

Where and why? Ill share mine after this post
>>
Wow that picture is really stupid.
>>
I guess it's true that you can survive 3h without shelter but I'm pretty sure you can survive a lot longer than that.
>>
I would go for the foothills of the mountains. Near defensible, difficult to navigate terrain. Near the middle line of the country to avoid the harsh winters and give as long a grow season as possible without having to deal with the easily life threatening heat of the southern half of the country.

Must have a water source. Creek, stream, or small pond. Not near a large river. Not near a coast line or high population center.

So it looks like Colorado, West Virginia, Utah area for me
>>
>>28415053

Depends on the environment. High mountains in winter... you might not last 2 hours. Death Valley at the height of summer? You can be dead in less than 45 minutes.

Upper Midwest in summer? You can survive as long as something doesnt eat you, or you can find food and water.
>>
File: fallout lanius _ Tumblr.gif (982 KB, 500x190) Image search: [Google]
fallout lanius _ Tumblr.gif
982 KB, 500x190
Zion
>>
File: Jämtland.jpg (996 KB, 1862x1200) Image search: [Google]
Jämtland.jpg
996 KB, 1862x1200
>>28415034
And stupid.
>30 days without food
Won't make it 30 days in harsh winter without food, need the fat and energy.
>3 days without water
It's winter ffs, assuming you're in proper nature you'll have a permanent, usually clean water source known as snow assuming you can set up a fire.
>3 hours without shelter
Shelter is mainly against wind, what determines your survival against hypothermia is how warm your clothes are and staying dry. Shelter is important, but 3 hours is just silly.
>3 minutes without air
How the hell is that even useful to know? In case I accidentally wander to the fucking moon?
>>
>>28416913
>How the hell is that even useful to know? In case I accidentally wander to the fucking moon?
Hey fuck you, my brother died that way.
>>
>>28414989
What does 3 hours without shelter even imply? I've been outside for like 8 hours at a time and I don't drop dead.
>>
>3 hours without shelter

Really fucking depends don't it? When I'm hiking in the summer I dont bring a bag or tent. I find a clearing and sleep on the ground with a blow up pillow.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (84 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
84 KB, 486x720
>>28416952
Oh shit, I remember that documentary. My condolences
>>
>>28416913
>Jämtland

Anywhere in the US that looks like this? Damn i'm jelly
>>
>>28416980
It's a poor metric meant to give a rough estimate. What it's getting at is hypo/hyperthermia. Due to the wild variance in climate I obviously doesn't make sense.
>>
File: 1449008621907.jpg (706 KB, 1900x892) Image search: [Google]
1449008621907.jpg
706 KB, 1900x892
>>28416987
Well according to OPs image you died then and you're a liar too.
>>
File: jämt4.jpg (106 KB, 659x318) Image search: [Google]
jämt4.jpg
106 KB, 659x318
>>28417003
No idea (I often hear people say Minnesota reminds of Scandinavian nature though). I'm not from there but really want to move there one day. I have spent a few months there in both summertime and winter and it really is something special. Also excellent place for innawoods hunting, fishing, going skiing and on riding snow mobiles etc.
>>
>>28417152
My only worry is the liberal Minnesota gov is gonna start shoving gun laws in.

Also lots of refugees apparently
>>
>>28417003
Almost looks like parts of the Northeast, maybe even Wisconsin
>>
>>28417265
but you're getting the authentic scandanavian experience
>>
File: jämt2.jpg (203 KB, 765x510) Image search: [Google]
jämt2.jpg
203 KB, 765x510
>>28417265
8% of Jämtlands population is foreign born, mostly kebab. Mind you they mainly live in one town, and if you're anywhere rural you won't ever see them. Who knows what might happen in the future, but generally arab immigrants hate living outside of cities. And of course our gun laws aren't better than that of Minnesota, but they are however less prone to change for the worse here most likely.

I guess escaping annoying lefties is hard to do on both continents.
>>
>>28416913
>It's winter ffs, assuming you're in proper nature you'll have a permanent, usually clean water source known as snow assuming you can set up a fire.

It's only winter on half the world and snow is a shitty, shitty source of water in a survival situation. It takes energy to melt and it's 90% air. Trying to eat or drink snow is a very good way to die like a jackass.

>30 days without food

You aren't dying of starvation in winter, you are dying of exposure because you don't have the energy to keep up your shelter. 4 weeks without food is survivable if your other needs are met.

>3 hours without shelter

It's intended to explain to people how quickly exposure can kill you, and to teach people what order to get the things they need to survive. Shelter first, then water, then food.
>>
>>28417366
If you don't have a fire in snowy conditions, you probably aren't going to last too long.
>>
>>28417366
>Set up fire
>Have a saucepan or whatever
>Have water purifiers
>Boil snow
>Do this until you have enough water
How is it shitty?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.