[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any way to fix dried stain on Mosin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 20160103_024541.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160103_024541.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Picked this up out the back of a guy's SUV. He gave me forewarning that on the handguard, in a speedy attempt to get the cosmoline out of it, he took a heat gun to it, but didn't think to put a towel on it. He thought he had the heat gun far enough from it. In turn, he pulled some of the stain/varnish out of it, and it re-dried on top of it. The whole thing is a different shade now from the rest of it because of it. I don't mind the look of it, but it's like dried powder on top of it. I can scratch it off with my nail if I put enough pressure. Should I just pull all the loose stuff off the top layer, or is there any way to fix it other than stripping it all off and refinishing it?
>>
>>28410979
no. the finish is fucked. strip it off and redo it.
>>
>>28411076
Any ideas on how to match it to the original?
>>
>>28411123
Basically impossible for you to do. The sheen you see is from 70+ years of aging. You can't really simulate that.
>>
>>28410979
Why do you care if a 120$ gun looks nice? Use it as a beater guns and give it a natural worn finish, and don't try to do it artificially, you literally have to use and handle the gun everyday
>>
>>28411123
You can't really, strip it all and use a nice red varnish, makes for a beautiful Mosin.
>>
What about buying a separate handguard for like $20 on ebay? I'd imagine the chances of that matching are relative. I just don't like the idea of stripping the rest of the original finish.
>>
>>28411211
the finish is dead, jim. you can try putting on a new handgaurd and hoping it's close enough.
>>
>>28410979
Is there cum on your fucking lense Mr. Parkinsons?
>>
File: Mizore loves company.jpg (606 KB, 1224x918) Image search: [Google]
Mizore loves company.jpg
606 KB, 1224x918
>>28411211
It can look really good in the end. 2nd from the bottom is my friends 91/30 that we re-did, the one on bottom is mine. There was some bubbling on the handguard, but with light grit sandpaper and some poly on top, it looks good again.
>>
>>28411265
how do you feel about your 10/22 is it good?
>>
just leave it because it's a fucking mosin
>>
>>28414594
>just leave it because it's a fucking mosin

This, unless it's rotting. Let it show its scars, dumbass.
>>
you can fix it easily OP, everyone else who posted is an idiot. just need to dissolve the varnish again. take a towel or rag soaked in some solvent like denature alcohol and wipe it around teh hand guard, dont use too much though. if alot of the varnish is missing, just get some shellac and put a little on. russian shellac is literally the easiest finish to maintain and redo, it takes like 1 second to revarnish and looks good as new
>>
Ejaculate on it and rub the cum all over the stock, it restores natural color and gives the wood a nice sheen and protective coat.
>>
File: image_32.jpg (18 KB, 362x410) Image search: [Google]
image_32.jpg
18 KB, 362x410
>>28411256
Top kek
>>
Newfag here, is the mosin just a meme or is it a rifle worth owning? And how easy to get and cheap is the ammo?
>>
>>28414985
It's a meme, albeit incredibly popular due to its price, but as it gets more expensive it becomes less and less desirable. It's reaching $300+ and it's just not worth it especially when Ruger and Savage make rifles in the same price bracket that are also very sturdy and more accurate that fire non corrosive ammo.
>>
>>28414676
Can anyone else verify this? And soaking it? Wouldn't that just strip the whole thing off? I've never removed or altered finish before, so I'm ignorant on the concept.
>>
>>28415345
>It's reaching $300+
it's still easy available for $150. Do you guys that keep spouting this shit even do half a second of research?
the ammo has gotten more and more expensive though as the supply of spam cans drys up.
>>
>>28414639

>i want to take care of my guns

>youre a dumbass

this battle scars idea of surplus guns is retarded. if your grandpa got his leg blown off in thwe war you wouldnt tell him WEAR YOUR BATTLE SCARS LIKE A MAN DONT BE A PUSSY

theres nothing wrong with doing a good refurb on a surp gun
>>
File: nugget-refinish.jpg (403 KB, 1230x1290) Image search: [Google]
nugget-refinish.jpg
403 KB, 1230x1290
>>28414676
>>28415484
>Can anyone else verify this?
Of course. Here's your instructions.
>>
>>28410979
The finish is shellac, an evaporative finish. Its solvent is alcohol. Put alcohol in a spray bottle and wet it down a bit. The assed up shellac will soften and begin to flow, smoothing the surface. Do not touch it until it is dry which will take just a few minutes.
>>
>>28415900
Yeah actually I see them at every gun store and fun show, easily $300 if not more anymore.

>it's still easily available for $150
Do you guys that keep spouting this shit even go to gun stores or shows? Last time I was one for that price was 3 years ago.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.