[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would an armed force in space be part of the Navy or the Air
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13
File: 1393465886963[1].jpg (52 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1393465886963[1].jpg
52 KB, 300x300
Would an armed force in space be part of the Navy or the Air Force?

Is a self propelled explosive in space called a torpedo or a missile?
>>
>>28409498
Look at that little shit. Goddamn
>>
>>28409498
space marines. do you even?
missile
>>
>Armed force in space
>Aerospace
Air farce flies the ships, spess mehroons fall out of them to do boarding actions and orbital drop landings.

>Self propelled explosive in space nomenclature
Depends on what fiction you're reading. Given torpedos typically have bladed propellers and missiles don't I would lean toward missiles.
>>
I'd imagine we're going to create new branches of the military when that point comes and keep the other branches tied to planetary roles
>>
The real question should be: If marines get the worst equipment available and the air force gets the best equipment available, what will space marines get?
>>
>>28409498
Neither, it would be its own branch and more akin to the Coast Guard in layout, function and training.

It would be called a kinetic impactor, kinetic energy weapon or kinetic-kill vehicle, unless it's low-tech in which case just a missile or something, or a nuclear weapon, which is really just an orbital-launched ballistic missile because nukes are more effective against things that are relatively stationary.

>>28409522
>>
>>28409498
Going forward, from the US perspective, Air Force, if only by virtue of their mission statement.
>>
>>28409560
Dick
>>
>>28409560
Two sticks and a rock.

Which the entire platoon has to share
>>
>>28409498
navy or air force or some other branch (we have a branch dedicated to "coasts" for example) is likely an administrative thing but navy is very likely with an air force generally needing atmosphere.

torpedoes are water specific while missiles are more generic. a thrown rock is a missile, but a rock thrown underwater can be a torpedo.
>>
>>28409571
but would they still be called the airforce?

I bet those fgts are going to rename themselves 'space force'.

Science fiction has already decreed that space ships belong to navies though. Except stargate. Why does it have to be so special?

Space ships are more awesome than gigantic 'space planes'. We better not screw this up, weve got one chance to set the standard and whatever we do will get stuck with for traditions sake. And right now we have people who design those horribly shitty new uniforms.. fuck

i dont want this future
>>
God I want to see space ships in orbit so bad. Why was I born in this century?
>>
>>28409623
>Science fiction has already decreed that space ships belong to navies though. Except stargate. Why does it have to be so special?

The stargate is essentially a radar dish that transmits people. That's why the air force got the program. All the alien tech for space ships comes later, and they didn't want to share.
>>
File: 2011.11.19.11.00.37.jpg (476 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2011.11.19.11.00.37.jpg
476 KB, 1920x1080
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
>>
File: spaceship in orbit.jpg (96 KB, 1050x750) Image search: [Google]
spaceship in orbit.jpg
96 KB, 1050x750
>>28409657
You can die happy now.
>>
>>28409498
A new unified command would open up or rather re-open and branches would either be drawn upon or be allowed to develop a way that they can be of use towards the goals of the unified command.
If the Army wants to be involved and they draw up a way they can be useful then that unified command will use them and make funding available..
It would probably be dominated by the Air Force at first.
>>
>>28409498
Navy

No air in space. Chair force go home
>>
>>28409498
http://www.airforce.com/learn-about/our-mission/

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win … in air, space and cyberspace.
>>
>>28410150
theres no water either retard
Dont you have to go swab the semendeck with your toung or something?
>>
>>28409608
Is that you, Sergeant Johnson?
>>
>>28409498
Air Force

They have the most experience in the field, and best connections in/understanding of the aerospace industry that will be producing the hardware

No niglets
>>
>>28409550

^ This

The roles will be split again when air power came into being the Air Force was eventually created.
>>
File: Johnson.jpg (78 KB, 697x464) Image search: [Google]
Johnson.jpg
78 KB, 697x464
>>28410278
Damn straight, marine!
>>
Actual space warfare is going to be a lot like submarine warfare (Focus on stealth, first ship to find the other ship destroys it from 200,000 km away).
so navy maybe?
>>
No reason for separation of forces anyway. All personnel and equipment involved in violence against foreign personnel and equipment should be in one Military. And nonatmospheric self-propelled munitions would probably be called missiles, bombs, drones, or torpedoes depending on their use.
>>
>>28409498
Navy, they're called spaceships, not spaceplanes.

On a more serious note, the Navy is already adapted to life on a self sustaining crew served vehicle in small spaces and on long voyages. To the crew on board, there's minimal difference in outside perception between a submarine and spaceship. Space Marines on ship for boarding operations and fighting off enemy incursions and potentially planetary expeditions only make more sense when paired with the Navy. Finally, the Navy has already perfected celestial navigation as a backup to standard GPS, using the stars to find their way around is second nature to them. One last note: the Navy also already has a bunch of nuclear technicians to power their ships, since nuclear power is probably the only way to go for propulsion, unless we come up with some better energy source.

The Air Force is irrelevant, all the Navy needs is help getting the ships into space, and that can be accomplished with NASA or private sector firms.
>>
>>28409675
Firefly my nigga
>>
>>28410472
reminder that johnson was just a copy of apone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woB1zvaSXag
>>
Probably would be the way airpower is now. I.e. all the branches have space assets of some form or another, some more so than others. Id imagine ground-based anti- space assets such as missiles and starfighters, possibly fixed installations like an orbital defense grid would be under the Airforce or Coast Guard.
Large starships designed for long range/exploration missions or any planetside defenses involving water would be squid domain.
>>
>>28410613
>On a more serious note, the Navy is already adapted to life on a self sustaining crew served vehicle in small spaces and on long voyages. To the crew on board, there's minimal difference in outside perception between a submarine and spaceship

But then they wouldnt be spaceship or spaceplanes, they would be spaceboats
>>
>>28410696
And?

Halo got inspiration from aliens, just like it got inspiration from a bunch of other stuff.

Both sets of marine corps are 'Nam reminiscent conscription based forces that use standardized equipment and are built from the ground up to fight shit pot rebels rather than an actual alien threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zXyuFQ-oc

If they made that hat I would not be able to throw money fast enough
>>
>>28409675
>taking piloting lessons from Hoban "leaf on a branch" Washburne
>shiggity
>>
>>28410768
I think its far more likely for the airforce to simply go away, the navy and marines becoming the soul expeditionary force and only non planetary military presence, with the army and coast guards merging into a sort of planetary guard, involving orbital platforms and all land/air/sea based planetary military type deals.

Basically they handle all planet-based defensive capabilities, while the navy goes around doing spess battles and dropping spess muhreens on planets. Once the planets are secured the planetary guard get shipped in and set up permanent bases and orbital canons and stuff.
>>
>>28409498
I was a door gunner on the space shuttle, four tours, we called the projectiles .51 gyrojet.
>>
>>28409498
Space tech has traditionally used flight style terminology

The assumption that naval terminology would fall into use is one based on science fiction.
>>
>>28411082
spaceship
ship
ship = naval
/thread
>>
There'd be a new designation, though it would likely stem off of the Air Force
>>
File: soul expeditionary force.jpg (46 KB, 620x443) Image search: [Google]
soul expeditionary force.jpg
46 KB, 620x443
>>28411013
>soul expeditionary force
>>
>>28409498
There's no air or water in space dummy, it needs to be a new thing called Space Force. They would use spacepedos.
>>
File: IMG_0239.jpg (640 KB, 1530x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0239.jpg
640 KB, 1530x2048
A military starship would most likely be pretty reminiscent of a submarine, generally speaking, a self-sustaining, crewed vessel is something that the Navy specializes in. It would be similar to how when the US had military zeppelins for a short time: they were considered naval vessels in their own right, and were crewed by naval personnel. Of course, a space-based fighting force would likely be an amalgamation of the Navy and Air Force's doctrines and policies, with the size and function of the ship having a lot to do with which branch it is more reminiscent of.

Pic semi-related, it's a u-boot.
>>
>>28411805
>>claustrophobia starts kicking in.jpeg
>>
File: IMG_0219.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0219.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>28411815
I dunno, I thought it was pretty comfy, especially the officers' bunks.
>>
File: ASAT_missile_launch.jpg (591 KB, 793x1050) Image search: [Google]
ASAT_missile_launch.jpg
591 KB, 793x1050
>>28409498
A more interesting question is "how long until we have a space force?" Even if we start colonizing Mars and space in 20-30 years (see SpaceX), it could be hundreds of years before we see any real need for a military force.
>>
Spaceforce.
Its like a combination of navy and airforce together.

Orbital drop shock troopers will replace the marines.
>>
>>28409498
Fighters, bombers and craft of similar size are in the airforce, everything larger is in the navy
>>
Cheezit Christ yall is morons

The USAF's AIR FORCE SPACE COMMAND is America's space military force.

The only confirmed manned military program was the MOL and that was going to be crewed
by USAF pilots

>but spaceship has space innit

Hence why the people who build them for a living call them SPACECRAFT (or orbital vehicles lol xd)

>spaceships would uh be like dem dere submarines

Why? name a fucking single spacecraft that operates like naval vessel?

They operated like fucking aircraft with a Commander and Flight Engineers

Fuck the Navy... bunch of goons
>>
>>28409498
Navy. Spaceships become the new warships, and have to be manned by large crews. It only makes sense. Warships pull into port and have liberty, just like spaceships will. Warships can blockade ports and provide support for troops on the ground, just like spaceships will. Plus Navy traditions and disciplines making it into the future is cool as fuck.

Think about it. Would rather have an admiral commanding a fleet of ships, or a general/air marshal?

The correct answer is Admiral.

Also spess muhreens.
>>
File: 1440094171875.gif (153 KB, 255x224) Image search: [Google]
1440094171875.gif
153 KB, 255x224
>>28412168
Oh look, a tripfag being retarded. More news at 11.
>>
>>28412168
>name a fucking single spacecraft that operates like naval vessel

Name a single crewed, mobile spacecraft that we have that's a dedicated exoplanetary vehicle. The ISS don't count because it doesn't freely move. It merely falls and misses the ground.

The current space programs we have are centered around the air force because the manned spacecrafts eventually come back to earth.
>>
I don't really give a shit about what branch's jurisdiction space warfare falls under. I'm genuinely concerned about the long-lasting ramifications of space battle. How many near Earth battles would it take before there's a (relatively) high-velocity debris field around earth that's dense enough to essentially make space travel to and from the planet and orbital satellite operation impossible?
>>
>>28410248
But they'll be using ships!

Navy would make the most sense since combat and operations would be more similar.

While the airforce seems to be making efforts to actually reach space, the navy would be more suited to actually operating there.

If people weren't retarded they would just set up a new branch that combines both.
>>
>>28409675
Thats a raven though right? Havn't played that shit in many years
>>
What would space artillery look like? Satellites with lasers?
>>
File: Nlos-ls.jpg (75 KB, 390x314) Image search: [Google]
Nlos-ls.jpg
75 KB, 390x314
>>28412863
Probably just cases carrying missiles.

Think pic related with some solar panels.
>>
>>28412863
Railguns or missile pods
>>
>>28410836
The white guy sounds like a complete faggot. I am so fucking happy to have a deep voice...
>>
>>28412961

"Yes Sir! Sergeant."

That's when I turned it off.
>>
File: BC-304_Battlecruiser_Odyssey_05.jpg (227 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BC-304_Battlecruiser_Odyssey_05.jpg
227 KB, 1024x768
Chair Force
>>
>>28409498
If we've colonized space enough to where we need a space force, we've also progressed enough to where needing a naval force on Earth (or any other planet) is redundant.
Keep branch structure the way it is now
Army and Air Force handle anything within any planetary atmosphere/sub-orbital
Army handles occupation and land warfare, AF does power projection into controlled space
Anything beyond orbit can be occupied by Navy, forces deployed are Marines
>>
>>28409498
IRL, space operations are done by USSTRATCOM with airforce doing all the technical work.

Space operations basically equate to "launching missiles at shit", not playing gayboy on a flying submarine.

>Is a self propelled explosive in space called a torpedo or a missile?

They're called Kinetic Kill Vehicles (KKVs).

>>28409537
>space marines

By the time we ever need space marines, drone infantry will be much more feasible. Sending people into space as anything but payload for their own sake is fucking stupid. Life support alone doubles how much fuel you end up needing.
>>
>>28409498
Assuming it's Air Force personnel who use ancient alien portals get their hands on exotic materials suitable for building faster-than-light starship drives, it'll be Air Force personnel who pilot the prototypes and eventually crew them in battle.
>>
>>28410613
This
>>
>>28412125
>Fighters, bombers and craft of similar size are in the airforce
*Marines
There, fixed that for you.
>>
>>28413393
*Naval Aviators

There, fixed that for you.
>>
File: Tales of Honor 001-011.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Tales of Honor 001-011.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
Navy
Missiles and torpedoes
>>
>>28414013
Moar Honor Harrington for me please.
>>
>Not having a net of drones surrounding your ship 100 light ms out.
It's like you want to manually aim and fire
>>
>>28414114
>100 light ms out

That's like 18000 miles bruv.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.