[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here have experience building a gun from a parts kit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: KAR65-Z-CU36-L.jpg (162 KB, 1200x423) Image search: [Google]
KAR65-Z-CU36-L.jpg
162 KB, 1200x423
Anyone here have experience building a gun from a parts kit? I'd like to start learning some home gunsmithing, and I figured the best way would be making a semiauto out of a demilled Uzi or Vz subgun. Any suggestions?

Also does anyone stateside have any more Mg42/Mg3 parts kits?
>>
bump, sounds fun
>>
>>28406001
I built a 1911 from a parts kit for $350. Sold it for $500. Didn't even eject right.
>>
>>28406001
Summoning Flandre or other buildfags.

He has some videos on YouTube, his channel is 'bfgmovies'
>>
It's not easy. You need some prior background in machining and welding for the more exotic parts kits out there. And there's a lot of ATF bullshit you have to navigate through, one wrong move and you'll end up in prison so don't be too open about it and keep it hidden.
>>
>>28410642
Um there's NO atf bullshit, that's one of the major draws of building
>>
>>28410642
>>28410642
What the fuck are you talking about?

Unless you just huff a bunch of paint, black out, and wake up to "oops I accidentally built a machinegun" there is zero ATF bullshit.
STATE law varies as to personal use manufacture, and personal sale, but as far as federal laws go its pretty simple.

I swear to god, /k/ acts like the ATF is some sort of shadowy vampire cult, and they get closer every time you say thier name.
>>
>>28410690
theres alot of atf bullshit whatever you build still has to be legal
just cause you built a short barrel shotgun from scratch doesnt make it not a short barrel shotgun and subject to the nfa

look at sten builds plenty of bullshit modifications needed to make it semi auto and not easily convertible
>>
>>28411116
Jesus shit christ no fuck, you cant build an illegal weapon? No shit? You mean if i build an SBR ITS STILL ILLEGAL? WHO FUCKIN KNEW!

Quit trying to be a self important know it all just because you know shit thats common sense to anyone.

And "bullshit mods on a sten" is vastly over-complicating the process of just buying a few different parts and a longer barrel.
>>
>>28406001
The easiest parts kit to assemble would probably be an AR-15. A lot of aftermarket parts and you won't need to do any welding/machining. Also, lowers are ridiculously cheap nowadays.
>>
I've been looking at getting a CETME parts kit since they're not expensive ($170 without barrel/lower). Has anybody assembled one of these? Is it hard?
>>
>>28411153
>And "bullshit mods on a sten" is vastly over-complicating the process of just buying a few different parts and a longer barrel.
thats just an example of atf bullshit
most partskit builds involve atf bullshit so they arent easily convertible to f/a
you could build a semiauto uzi that meets length requirements and everything else but not weld a block in it cause you didnt know you had to and bam illegal gun
if you dont research shit what you build can easily become unintentionally illegal
>>
Gonna need basic shop and metal working tools. Press, welder, and mill are essential. Spot welder, lathe, and a tempering oven greatly increase your capabilities but aren't necessary for most builds.

If you want to just build stamped receiver guns you can get away with a press, welder, and drill press.
>>
>>28411191
If you go from a flat you will need the bending jig and at minimum a 6 ton press along with a welder, however if you buy the receiver premade it's like $250 plus a parts kit from hkparts and you would still need a welder.
>>
>>28411222
I guess that's why they're cheap. I don't have any experience welding.
>>
>>28411199
Once again. You are making simple shit sound complex.

You look up shit, then do it and its easy.
>>
>>28411231
Its not hard, find a local ma and pa shop with a competent guy to teach you.
>>
>>28411247
but you are claiming there is no atf bullshit involved for home builds when clearly there is
>>
>>28411257
How much would that cost? How much does a welder cost?
>>
>>28411071
>>28406001
>>28410642
I may or may not know someone who built a PPSh-41 and an MP-40 (both fully functioning, maybe) from a parts kit.

Of course, this individual may or may not have had plenty of experience in metalworking and/or a shop.
>>
>>28411282
Idk, i never bought a new welder, got mine used for a few hundred bucks from a flea market.

I just split a bunch of firewood for the old guy who taught me welding, but im in montana, so things might work differently where you are.

I dont think a lower end wire feed welder like youd be needing would cost too much if you bought it used.
>>
You cannot realistically get MG42/MG3 parts kits anymore. All of them have already been bought, so you'd be paying out the wazoo from private owners.
>>
What are good MG parts kit that are fairly available these days? I mean, something really cheap, like around 500 dollary doos.
>>
>>28411361
Actual machine guns or parts kit with a full auto trigger group?
>>
>>28411413
demilled old guns, maybe
>>
>>28411427
I saw some Bren parts kit for $250 recently. Might want to look into that.
>>
>>28411440
Scratch that, I remembered wrong. They're around 500 bucks.
>>
Is Sarco any good? I've always wanted a G3 and I like the look of this wooden furniture.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/spanish-cetme-model-c-rifle-parts-set.aspx
>>
>>28406001
That is NOT the best way to get into gunsmithing. Start with an ar. AR upper too. Then a fal. Then an ak. THEN move on to a hard one.
>>
>>28411191
Very hard.

Good rule of thumb: the cheaper a kit the harder it is
>>
>>28411427
Apex has some wheeled russian HMG parts kits. Sg43 maybe? I dont remember
>>
Itt: a bunch of really stupid people and like 2 guys who know what theyre doing
>>
>>28406001
Uzi or Vz subgun is too complicated for a first build imo. Everyone should start with an AK 80% build as their first 'real' build. Just my 2c.

>>28410642
There are ATF NUANCES to navigate through, like converting an open bolt to closed bolt, but I wouldn't call that bullshit.

>>28411191
>>28411222
>>28411231
>>28411282
I use a 90$ flux welder from harbor freight. It's trash, but there are improvements you can make and it gets the job done.
>>
>>28412722
Why not an AR? I've heard you need a press for an AK receiver, while you only need some common tools to assemble an AR from scratch.
>>
>>28411272
Unless you somehow can figure out how to build a gun from parts kits on your own without any outside help. It will be extremely hard to build anything illegal. Any decent guide that not by retards will inform you what needs to be done. Really no more atf bullshit then normal.
>>
>>28412789
Because building an AR doesnt really count as buildig a gun imo. More like legos
>>
http://www.brpguns.com/categories/Parts-and-Kits-Web-Store/German-WW2-Firearm-Parts-and-Accessories/MG42/MG42-Parts-Kits/
>>
http://www.lionseek.com/guns/brand/mg-42
>>
>>28412789

Because building an AR from parts doesn't require any real building work. Even from an 80 is barely any work. You do need a press for an AK, but it's really not that much money.
>>
>>28412834
There's also state laws to consider.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>28406001
I built my AK that I have.
It was my first build and turned out shit, but still, it turned out shit for a FIRST build. The FAL I have going is nice, though I do need my milk to finally fucking work so I can get to work on my PM-63 (semi auto closed bolt) build.
>>
>>28413272
What laws would affect you building a gun that wouldn't already known to you.
>>
>>28413369
I know in California there are some laws that prohibit the manufacture of certain firearms. If you're in a state like New York or California you should check your state laws to be on the safe side.
>>
File: IMG_20160101_165506_943.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160101_165506_943.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28411427
You can get a Sten for like $125
It'd have to be converted to closed-bolt though to be ATF-legal

>My cheap-ass barrel press for an AMD 65, also my first build
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Getting closer to having a PPSH41

If only it wasn't so cold
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Got the two sections attached and built up material to match the trunnion
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 640x360
I'm a sucker for making things look original.

>have a 1gb folder of ppsh reference pictures
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>
>>28411199
>unintentionally illegal

I forget who it was, but I saw a video someone made about some libfag reporter showing how easy it is to make guns from kits, and he pointed out all the unintentionally illegal stuff he did.

These laws are total bullshit at this point. Just ignore. Noone will know if you don't do dumb illegal shit with them, right?
>>
>>28417169
The most bullshit law is the one that requires a gun to have five parts manufactured in the US. Why is that even a thing?
>>
>>28417384
It prevents many guns from being imported. It's a long term plan to reduce the number of scury salt weapons in the U.S.
>>
>>28417384
I'm pretty sure 922r specifies a max % of foreign parts, not a straight 5

The goal was to restrict milsurp imports, and it mostly has. Honestly I don't have a huge problem with it, since it doesn't restrict the function of your weapon

The SBR and SBS bullshit, along with suppressors, is way more fucking retarded and should be a much higher priority for lobbyists efforts

Heller is a moonshot honestly, but the ATF gave us the opportunity through their own stupidity so we pretty much have to take it
>>
>>28417488
No, it says that any newly imported firearm must have a certain number of American made parts out of a list of completely random parts, many of which have almost no impact on the function of a firearm on their own. Also, you can't change the configuration of any firearm imported before it was put in place unless you meet the required number of American parts
>>
>>28417550
Ok thanks, I'm only familiar with this from AK building

How do SKS and nugget meet this though?
>>
When did the law that made parts kits need a demilled barrel come into effect?
>>
>>28417571
It only applies to semi-auto rifles and shotguns I believe. But I'm not sure how the sks gets by. Do we not import sks's anymore?
>>
>>28413369
But he's totally right; there are many ATF laws in place when it comes to building guns from parts kits, especially parts kits that came from guns that were once fully automatic (uzis, stens, aks, etc.) There are things you have to do to make it very hard to convert your built gun into a full auto firearm.
>>
>>28417652
I thought once a machinegun always a machinegun, isn't welding together a cut up FA receiver illegal, even if you make it SA?
>>
>>28417688
the cut up receiver is no longer a receiver as it has been destroyed. so welding it back up is making a "new" receiver.
>>
>>28412962
I'd say doing an AR build shows you the relation between different parts in your firearm, making it important to the first-time builder.
>>
>>28416297
>>28416278
>>28416246
>>28416220
>>28413663
>based Zasta
Can't wait to see it done bruh. Where'd you get the kit from?
>>
>>28406001
Speaking of LMG parts kits, has anyone made a Bren? What tool would you need?
>>
>>28419479
Thanks. The kit is from Military Gun Supply

>>28420677
I have a mk1m kit and most the semi parts just need a jig and time
>>
>>28423746
What parts of the Bren need to be welded other than the receiver?
>>
File: 12-ISAF-Pork-Crusader-1.jpg (158 KB, 614x461) Image search: [Google]
12-ISAF-Pork-Crusader-1.jpg
158 KB, 614x461
>>28406001
>Anyone here have experience building a gun from a parts kit?

Nope but wife buys a lot of shit from IKEA.. Does that count?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.