[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I refinish this to get nice dark look? Or should I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2922x1304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2922x1304
How do I refinish this to get nice dark look? Or should I just get a different set?
>>
Just sand it down and restain your desire color.

Watch videos about staining wood, it's the same principle. It's not different just because it's a gun.
>>
>>28405333
This, get's confirm for /thread
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 1024x768
>>28405282
Op what is your personal opinion on this gun? I am looking to buy one myself.
>>
>>28405562
It's a very fun gun.
>>
>>28405588
Brace it up?
>>
Start with 120 grit or so sand paper and work your way down to 400 or so. Always remember to start with coarse paper and then move to fine. You're going to want to hand sand the wood. Don't try to use power tools because it will create marks in the grain. Remember to sand with the grain.

Once the finish has been stripped you'll want to use a wood stain primer, which will help prevent runs and globs in the finish. Then go to the hardware store and pick up a dark finish that you like. I'd recommend walnut. There's also some dark red / brown stains which I prefer on com-bloc guns. Whatever finish you use DO NOT use polyurethane + stain. It fucking sucks. It will glob up, and it just fucking sucks. Only use a stain. Once you're ready to sand try to suspend your parts or level them so nothing is touching the stain that you've applied. Apply however many coats you want until you reach a desired color. Some people apply stain in a circular motion, some go with the grain. It's up to you. The stain can should give you more directions on approximate wait times and what to apply the stain with. Some people use foam brushes, some use cloth. It's up to you.

When all of the stain has finished drying and you're satisfied with the color, apply Tru Oil to the parts. I think birchwood Casey makes it? It will basically seal the wood to prevent rot and warping.

Enjoy, and good luck. Remember, you can always resand if you fuck it up.
>>
>>28405591
Nah I'm going for a nice natural look
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
>>28405696
Thank you very much for your help it's very appreciated! This is the desired look I'm going for.
>>
>>28405591
No, get a barrel extension or brake 4" and get a real stock on it if you don't want to SBR it yet.
>>
>>28405781
That's my plan for when I get my grubby mits on a Draco
>Yugo grenade spigot
>>
Ask /fur/ being a furniture board they obviously know how to refinish wood
>>
>>28405747
Very nice. It may not "pop" as much because your hand guards don't appear to be laminate or thick and grainy. If you head to Lowes sometimes they have little displays that show what the wood finish looks like when applied to wood. That's your best bet for trying to match colors.

Just remember, don't use the poly + stain mix. I tried it and I'm having to resand a pair of stocks. It clumps up and it's sticky. I really regret it.

You may want to wait until it's warmer too, because stain usually takes longer to dry in the cold.
>>
>>28405802
Don't listen to this faggot.

/diy/ would be your best bet at any other advice.
>>
>>28405801
Yup. The Dracos usually have an underfolding rear trunnion, so all you need is a drill press and $70 in parts.
>>
>>28405861
I hear reverse donkey dongs are uncommon and expensive, is that true?
>>
>>28405877
Yeah, they're not really worth it to be honest. I'd just go with a regular palm-swell handguard. Also don't buy a Romanian under-folding stock assembly, buy a Hungarian, Polish, or similar.
>>
File: draco-rear-block1.png (254 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
draco-rear-block1.png
254 KB, 480x360
>>28405861
>The Dracos usually have an underfolding rear trunnion
The draco-c was the one with the underfolder trunnion.
Current dracos have a virgin trunnion, meaning it doesn't have the cutout for the stock.
>>
>>28406141
It's still the same trunnion, just without the holes. Not difficult if you have a template.
>>
>>28406141
Just because it's a virgin doesn't mean you can't fuck it, just takes a bit more work.
>>
How difficult is it to cut the trunnion for a non underfolding stock? Would the entire rear trunnion need to be replaced?
>>
>>28406402
Depends on which kind of stock you want. Something like ACE, Stormwerkz, and others are just two holes drilled and taped. If you want a regular AKM trunnion it's a bit more intensive.
>>
>>28405696
you make this shit sound complicated.
just sand the bitch and apply stain. it's not hard.
>>
>>28405333
>Just sand it down and restain your desire color.
Steel wool and mineral spirits will remove the finish and add an aged look. Get a good oil based stain. A varnish or other sealant will protect it from solvents (polyurethane will be more resilient).
>>
>>28406472
I agree, however some people are moron and manage to fuck up something that simply.
>>
>>28405282
Just get a new set of furniture like this,
https://www.apexgunparts.com/balkan-battlefield-akm-buttstock-set.html
for $25 bucks.
>>
>>28409335
That's fucking retarded. Fuck you. It's wood furniture left in a light oil, they WANT you to finish it yourrself.
>>
>>28405282
is not going to turn in to
>>28405747
no matter what you do cause its a laminate and yours isnt
>>
>>28409617
This is an important thing to keep in mind. It'll still look neat though.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.