[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question. Sometimes in movies you see the PTSD'd veteran
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 1000-Yard-Stare-Tom-Lea.jpg (192 KB, 1600x792) Image search: [Google]
1000-Yard-Stare-Tom-Lea.jpg
192 KB, 1600x792
Question.

Sometimes in movies you see the PTSD'd veteran returning to society and he just cant find his way there. Often those people feel a weird longing back to war and conflict.

Is this true? Do veterans here (how strange it may sound) miss deployment?

>also, deployment memories thread
>>
I miss being deployed inna Detroit.
Lots of fun, miss being there.
>>
>>28401714
>get to fuck around with guns in the jungle or desert of lawlessness for the entire deployment
>free meals, ammo, and a bed

i can see why they would want to go back, i imagine civilian life just does not compare in anyway to that way of life
>>
>>28401751

What I mean is that even though some had terrible experiences (hence the PTSD) still want to go back to that 'terrible place'
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (48 KB, 793x330) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).jpg
48 KB, 793x330
>everytime I was in the jungle I wanted to be home
>everytime I was home I wanted to be in the jungle
>>
>>28401763
i imagine after seeing and experienceing certain things one would never be the same and would have a hard time reassimilating into civilian life
>>
>>28401763

It's a product of being institutionalized.

The same thing happens to people who spent too much time in prison.

I'm a vet with PTSD and have no desire to go "back". I go hunting if I feel like " patrolling with my rifle". I think it helps I only did 4 years and joined at 22, so I had some life experiences unlike the guys that join fresh outa HS.
>>
There's an old joke. A marine's contract is almost up, and he's bitching to his recruiter.

"Fuck the marines man. I fucking hate the marines. When I get out I am never coming back to the fucking marines!"

So his time comes up and he out processes. He goes out into the civilian world to start his new life. A week later he shows up at the recruiters office and tells his friend that he's looking to get back in. His friend is curious as to why.

"Hey man, I thought you said that you hated the marines. Why are you coming back?"

"Well, I still hate the marines. But out there, well, there's no one in charge of anything."

That one was making the rounds all the way back in 'Nam.
>>
>>28401714
Long time cop with PTSD. Speaking for myself, I love crisis. When the world around me is on fire is when I feel fully alive. Time slows down, my perceptions sharpen, and I feel powerful and in control.
But 99.9% of the time there is no crisis, just life, and then I'm a hyper-vigilant angry man struggling for control.
The people closest to me suffer the most. I'm like living with a mean dog - you never know when I'll bite.
>>
>>28401763
you're looking at it wrong
it's like prison
some ex-cons long to return because prison life has a set routine not found in the civilian world
you have the same thing in theater
wake up, breakfast, briefing, patrol, etc.
everyone is on the same page; doing/behaving the same
so you have your 'gang' vs them
civilian life is chaotic and unpredictable compared to that
>>
>>28401714
>Is this true? Do veterans here (how strange it may sound) miss deployment?

I never understood this. I see on Veteran's forums a lot of other guys talking about how much they want to go back, how life was simpler, etc

>want to do 18+hr missions?
>want to risk getting shot in the back by shitty Iraqi police/army?
>want to do two 6 hour shifts of guard in full kit every other day?
>want to do KP washing dishes all day in between missions and guard?
>want to have shitty leadership that will get you killed because the officers are more concerned with impressing their leadership than doing what is right, what makes sense, or what is best for their soldiers?
>want to be either very hot or very cold all the time?
>want to get shot at for occupying a country we shouldn't have invaded in the first place?
>want to drive around giving money and training to Iraq police and Army, then on the way back get shot at or blown up because the people you just gave money to (through US Civilians who think they're soldiers too because they ride in a humvee with you) told the enemy the money is safe and now they can hit us, and what time we are leaving the Iraqi post on which road?
>want to eat boiled chicken for a year, made by nigger cooks who can't cook worth a shit?
>want to burn yours and everyone else's shit?
Fuck no.

I miss my friends, and we don't even talk that much anymore, so why exactly would I want to go back to that shit hole?
In my opinion, if someone wants to go back on deployment, they must really hate their civilian life. I've had some bad adjustment issues. Don't fit in at college, hard to get a job when I came back, lost all my civilian friends, lots of alcohol, anger issues, sleep issues, PTSD, etc. but I never thought "oh man, maybe the Army and a deployment can fix this!"
No sir, no thanks.

I'm glad I served, but I'm done fighting for bullshit causes in a bullshit politically correct sissy Army.
>>
>>28401808
>out there
Out where? There is no "out there" anymore.
>>
>>28401964

>whoosh
>>
>>28401964

Charlie is always in the bushes.
>>
>run to downed truck, pull out casualties.
>start medical treatment, try to stop bleeding and maintain an airway.
>start to take small arms fire. Only have a pistol and an aid bag
>"FUG!"
>someone rocks against my back. "We got you doc"
>two soldiers literally watching my back start returning fire. My life in thier hands. Casualties lives in my hands

>working as a civilian several years later
>can't depend on coworkers to actually show up for a game of settlers of cataan

Yea, America feels kinda lonely
>
>>
Adrenaline is addicting

There is nothing more exciting than combat

Thus, war junkies, the most useful addiction in history
>>
>>28401714

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0m573MxXXw
>>
>>28401714

Well, OP, a part of it that not many people like to admit is that, as horrible and traumatic and nasty as it is, in some ways, war is fun.
>>
File: thefeel.jpg (25 KB, 680x434) Image search: [Google]
thefeel.jpg
25 KB, 680x434
>never served
>was volunteer at conscription
>denied because they already had enough with small budget
>actually wanted to join
>work 18 hours a day with overtime whenever I can because I feel like it
>life sucks I wish I was getting /fit/ for free and fingerfucking guns all the time

Yeah, I can think of how some people miss it.
>>
>>28401816
So, does that mean civilian life is somehow harder than military /Leo life is?
Thanks for sharing btw
>>
I get the impression people miss certain parts a lot, like
>>28402219 said
True comradery, feeling like one unit, having one goal, not having to thing about "what do I have to do tomorrow" all that jazz

Like, life is simpeler? Surviving the next patrol

Tell me if I'm wrong though
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.