[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/ - stalker approved reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 311x475
So normally I live 300 miles away from the nearest bookstore but I'm on leave and going book hunting for k approved or stalker related books.

I'm planning on getting metro 2033. I have enjoyed reading "fry the brain" and "storm of steel". You guys got any suggestions?
>>
>>28400881
It's not stalker, but All Quiet on the Western Front

WWI Paul, a German infantryman deals with war and shit. Kinda slow, but I liked it. Points out the crazy trench nonsense like starvation and scary noises.
>>
File: sun-and-steel.jpg (59 KB, 339x499) Image search: [Google]
sun-and-steel.jpg
59 KB, 339x499
>>28400881
>>
On Pain, also by Ernst Jünger
>>
File: stoic-warriors.jpg (22 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
stoic-warriors.jpg
22 KB, 231x346
>>
File: left-of-bang.jpg (49 KB, 313x499) Image search: [Google]
left-of-bang.jpg
49 KB, 313x499
>>
>>28400961
Yeah I've got on pain, just haven't been able to finish it. Personally I think Ernest junger is one of the most interesting figures in military history
>>
>>28400881
>stalker related
I take it you've read Roadside Picnic?
>>
The Things They Carried
Roadside Picnic (inspired the movie that lead to STALKER)
All Quiet On the Western Front
For Whom the Bell Tolls/any Hemingway you can find, Complete Short Stories preferred
>>
>>28401089
No but I will look for that one
>>
>>28401090
Also, Slaughterhouse Five/The Children's Crusade. Very little /k/ content but it's required reading to understand non-Hollywood WWII
>>
>>28400881
Do you also live 300 miles from the nearest computer? Metro 2033 is garbage.
>>
>>28401111
>sebenza guy
Lol
But yeah Metro is pretty much shit
>>
It's kind of a new thing, but you can actually buy books on the internet and have them shipped directly to you now. Pretty convenient.

There's even devices on which you can read "e-books," which don't require shipping at all because they are entirely digital.
>>
File: 1450298355279.jpg (56 KB, 600x810) Image search: [Google]
1450298355279.jpg
56 KB, 600x810
>>28401137
>not physically picking up and perusing literature before you buy
If OP had done this maybe he wouldn't have wasted money on fucking Metro 2033
>>
File: we were invinsible.jpg (26 KB, 346x346) Image search: [Google]
we were invinsible.jpg
26 KB, 346x346
>>
On a related note, was any of TOM CUHLANCY's work actually good, or was it just alphabet soup designed to enthrall mall ninjas?
>>
>>28401111
Most of the reviews I saw seemed pretty positive
>>
>>28401150
Do you realize you can get parts of, or entire, books to peruse online? Is there some reason you need to physically handle the book first?
>>
>>28401137
Normally that's what I do but since I'm on leave and in a town with a book store, figured I'd go shopping. Geez don't be so autistic
>>
>>28401186
Because electronic, kindle, e books are garbage
>>
>>28401171
Because it's a popular videogame. Metro 2033 is just badly written from the first page
>>
>>28401210
So you can't read parts of the book online to see if you might like it and then order the physical copy if so?
>>
>>28401229
Is it because of poor translation? Or just shit in general?
>>
>>28401210
>e books are garbage
Confirmed for someone who has never tried them. You can fit an entire library into a tablet-sized device, instantly look up any technical or archaic terms you don't know in whatever dictionaries or encyclopedias you load on it (or even use WiFi to access Wikipedia on the fly), and you can even be a degenerate and pirate your books for free. Plus, e-ink is just as easy on the eyes as actual paper, plus you can read in low light if your reader has a backlight.

Stop being a hipster luddite.
>>
>>28401101
It's literally what STALKER, and by proxy Metro 2033, is based on.
>>
>>28400881
>So normally I live 300 miles away from the nearest bookstore
how
>>
>>28401383
No it's just bad. Poorly translated good books are still good. Metro is just amateur, it's seriously FanFiction.net writing quality
>>
This was really good its a collection of first hand accounts about combat in nam written by a bunch of infantry men pilots and even some SOG guys had storys about missions in cambodia and working with natives
>>
>>28401150
>>28401121
>>28401229
>>28401424
Back to /lit/.
Metro is the pinnacle of Eastern European literature
>>
>>28401169
40 year old used to be mall ninjas
>>
Well most everything on my reading list for the world millitary history class I took last term would probably qualify:
>With Napoleon's Guard in Russia
Great first-hand account of the 1812 invasion, critical of Napoleon and a fairly quick read
>Bitter Choices
About the Russian conquest of the Northern Caucus, a bit dry, main character's name is Semen.
>Storm of Steel
You all already know
>Quartered Safe out Here
WWII, Burmese theater, heavy Cumbrian accents abound. Very amusing read.
>Legionnaire
Diary of a British man who ran away to join the French Foreign Legion. Quick reading.
>>
>>28400881
Storm of Steel is a God-tier book. Ernst Junger was the Achilles of the trenches.
>>
>>28401419
I work in a border town in texas
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.