[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there even a particular AR15 brand parts that actually won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: image:43978.png (48 KB, 1330x352) Image search: [Google]
image:43978.png
48 KB, 1330x352
Is there even a particular AR15 brand parts that actually won't break in half and would actually hold up together and not just a range toy?

I just want to know what parts to get that won't break down or jam up or will require me to pay again and replace the part after 6000 rounds for example
>>
>>28398630
AK47
>>
Just don't be a nigger and don't buy bargain bin BCGs and other essential parts because poorshits on /k/ told you they're "just as good". There, done.
>>
>>28398651
>current year
>buying slav memeguns

Come on, it's the current year.
>>
>>28398670
Then please point me to the right parts.

There are alot of brand parts and other market parts as well and I just want one that will actually last just as long as an AK47 would last.

I'm also including the receiver and the barrel and the upper receiver as well.
>>
>>28398705
Just get a regular AK47 then op.

Make sure you get the milled one and for the love of god do not get a WASR those brands are built on cheap parts and will break up if you fire the gun "too fast".
>>
>>28398630
>wah x part didn't survive thousands and thousands of concussive explosions
Don't gets parts out of a crackerjack box and with routine maintenance and a solid strip inspection you'll mitigate all those icky jams and breakdowns.
>>
>>28398727
But I don't want a russian rifle I prefer to have a modern American rifle that will actually take the abuse and will actually last just as long as a surplus military rifle has without having to replace every single parts every thousand rounds or if it drops or whatever happens.
>>
>>28398741
Then don't get a AR15 if your looking for a reliable american rifle
>>
>>28398630
Get a forged lower.
Get a billet upper.
Get a Wilson Combat match grade barrel.
Get a nickel boron coated bolt.
Geissele super gas block.

Any rail around 200$ or more should do you right.
>>
>>28398741
barring unlucky failures or sheer negligence most parts last well past 10k rounds. Normal part wear replacement should be the focus on things like barrels, springs, extractor, and occasional pins. Buying dodgy poorfag bcgs, poly lowers, airsoft optics, and shitty handguards are mistakes just waiting to happen.
>>
>>28398806
Thank you very much!

What about the trigger group though and are there ones that has a fixed stock on the forged receivers as well?
>>
6000 rounds is no small amount of ammunition spent through any gun. Stop being a steriotypical american, and buy a decent bolt action rifle. No jams, simple design, and it would take you a lifetime to flog the barrell out of it. No actual reasonable need for a banana clipped barbie doll gun.
>>
>>28398829
There are varying grades of trigger.

Your most basic poorfag trigger will come in a lower parts kit from 40-60$.

I used the Spikes enhanced lower parts kit for my build, and it's pretty good for a milspec style trigger. You can spend money on a nice trigger later when you know more.
>>
>>28398839
Also, the stock being fixed or not is up to you. Any rifle you build will have a buffer tube that the bolt spring, spring/buffer weight, and bolt carrier goes into. In ARs this always extends into the buffer tube.

You can get an A2 style fixed stock for it, get an adjustable milspec, or Magpul stock. It's up to you, and you should go hold some ARs at the local gun store to figure out what you like.
>>
File: ar.gif (394 KB, 400x163) Image search: [Google]
ar.gif
394 KB, 400x163
>>28398846
Here is a function gif, showing the insides..

As you can see, the bolt carrier goes into the buffer tube in the stock, so that tube will always be there, and whatever stock (fixed or adjustable) will fit over that tube.
>>
>>28398630
on a completely unrelated note, if i buy a PSA upper will i be able to use steel case ammunition without worrying about ftf and fte? id like a cheap ar for plinking but im not interested if i cant use cheap steel case.
>>
>>28398832
>just buy a shotgun mang
>there is no need for a salt rifle

Literally just fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>28398860
The upper doesn't really have any bearing on if you can use steel cased ammo or not.

You are going to have additional wear on your bolt, extractor, or extractor pin, but you would only notice the difference over thousands of rounds.
>>
>>28398864
Hi, Mr. Biden.
>>
>>28398867
>The upper doesn't really have any bearing on if you can use steel cased ammo or not.
then what does? i dont care about additional wear. in the amount youd save using steel, you can buy a whole new gun over the life of one barrel.
>>
File: 1449890699124.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1449890699124.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>28398832
>bolt actions magically have a longer barrel lifespan
>>
>>28398864
>> I... I....I.... gots to has my second amendments!!

Siiigh. Americans.
>>
>>28398630
Get a BCM with their bolt and ect.
>>
>>28398878
If you buy the most cheapest, shittiest poorfag bold carrier group, it could break your extractor prematurely.

Steel case ammo shouldn't put any extra wear on your barrel.

Now, a bimetal jacket on your bullets WILL put extra wear on your barrel, and assuming you are getting a bargain on your ammo, the recoup cost versus barrel replacement needs depends on the cost of your barrel.

My barrel cost 300ish bucks, so it would take a lot longer for my costs to be recouped on ammo than someone who bought a 120$ barrel.
>>
>>28398878
If you have a heavy buffer and use light rounds you could have an issue.
>>
>>28398895
i am aware of this. all i want to know is which part of the rifle should i put just enough money into that i never have to worry about having excessive failures while using steel cased ammunition on a poorfag rifle.
>>
File: 1448364187500.jpg (166 KB, 980x603) Image search: [Google]
1448364187500.jpg
166 KB, 980x603
>>28398630
Literally get any decent milspec ar15 or complete upper from brands worth a shit like
>spike's tactical
>bravo company
>colt
>fn
>knight's armament
>larue

You don't need to go overboard and drop $3,000 on super gucci gear and deck your shit out with a whole bunch of shit like a geissle trigger, you can get a really damn good rifle for ~$650-$1,000 if you build it right.

Ignore the autistic shitflinging that's currently going down in this thread and do some of research. A good milspec gun should serve you for a long time. If you're gonna get into extremely high volumes of shooting, I would reccomend having a spare bolt carrier group and firing pin always at hand.

Also, you don't REALLY necessarily need to be obsessive about durability that much. Chances are, you're not some super operator that actually puts hard use into his gun over short periods of time.

Bravo company has a complete carbine length upper for ~500 bucks on sale on their website. If you want to get a pretty damn good build, get a cheap lower like a spike's or palmetto and throw it on. Don't buy into the whole billet bullshit, standard lower recievers are fine and they don't really mean much in terms of performance quality/durability.
>>
>>28398910
BCG
>>
>>28398914
thank you. which BCG would you recommend?
>>
>>28398914
As I said up thread, any nickel boron coated BCG should do fine:

Reliabolt
FailZero
Cryptek
BCM
Spikes

There are endless choices these days.
>>
I WANT A GUN THAT SURVIVES FOR FUCKING EVER SO I NEVER HAVE TO REPLACE ANYTHING (NOT EVEN EXPENDABLE PARTS) EVEN THOUGH I'M GOING TO BE SPENDING MANY TIMES THAT IN AMMO
>>
File: 1433766159468.jpg (463 KB, 627x837) Image search: [Google]
1433766159468.jpg
463 KB, 627x837
>>28398910
bolt carrier group, and I really hate this entire "STEELCASE AMMO IS FUCKEN BAD IT'LL WEAR UR GUN OUT!!1" meme that seemed to trend from time to time on /k/ for a while now.

Since you did mention "poorfag rifle", you will not ever put so many rounds through your gun that you would actually see any negative drops in performance from shooting steelcase.

The only legitimate problem with steelcase is it's often underpowered which I think is great for practice because you can simulate failures during a drill. So yeah, you won't see anything like a worn out barrel or bolt from steelcase unless you're going to be shooting like 100,000 rounds through it every year, it's not as drastic.

However, the only noticeable thing you may see with steelcase is scratches on your brass deflector. But seriously, who gives a fuck about that?

>>28398928
well, look for a different hobby then. Shit breaks all the time.
>>
>>28398880
Yeap. Takes you longer to wear out the barrel on account of it being more difficut to pretend to be Rambo with it. The barrel wear from the amount of rounds fired through would be the same, it just takes longer to fire all those rounds. Unless your running p+++ loads with corrosive primers, haha!
>>
>>28398933
>my special snowflake fudd round costs .95/ea so you'll shoot slower and magically not wear out your barrel!
>>
>>28398893

A swing.
And a miss.
>>
>>28398938
P+++ loads and corrosive primers wreck barrels faster.

>>american 2nd amendment stick lover
>>knows how to make AR jam only 40% of the time.
>>Seemingly confused by talk of basic load development
>>
>>28398932
>I really hate this entire "STEELCASE AMMO IS FUCKEN BAD IT'LL WEAR UR GUN OUT!!1" meme that seemed to trend from time to time on /k/ for a while now.

The issue isn't the case but the bimetal jacket of the bullet.
If you can't understand why mild steel being pushed through your barrel will result in accelerated wear compared to copper jackets, you should probably stick to your memes and stop pretending to understand when grown ups are talking.
>>
>>28398933
>it has a lower ROF
>that means the barrel life is better ;^)

Commit suicide.
>>
>>28398727
>and will break up if you fire the gun "too fast".
Show me one instance of that happening.

>>28398809
This, sort of.
The only plastic lower worth anything is the CAV Arms ones.
>>
>>28398912
Tell me more about this gun please.
>>
>>28398832
>>28398893
>>28398933
>current year
>being a fuddquck

Not an American btw.
>>
>>28398983
As stated before. Barrel life extended in terms of time, not rounds expelled.

I have a bolt action rifle that was rebarrelled in 1916. Because its used exclusively for hunting,and sighting in, and always has been, it's still good now. Because i live in a country where ammo costs $2 a shot, and we have a non fucked gun mentality, all of this "hurr durr gotta fire 6000 rounds through my ar" just seems really odd and pointless.
>>
>>28398983
Hotter the barrel, faster the wear.
>>
File: 1449694211571.jpg (907 KB, 2416x3320) Image search: [Google]
1449694211571.jpg
907 KB, 2416x3320
>>28398893
>I... I want rights!
le siiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>28398809
i dont think you understood his question

airshit optics have nothing to do with the durability or moreso the longevity of the gun itself. and yes i know it pays to invest in optics, but i think OP is asking for an AR thats as durable as an AK, which sounds like a toigh request.

personally i would also like to know
>>
>>28399004
>can't get an AR/AK and can't afford ammo to actually shoot my fuddgun
>HAHAHAHAHAHA U FUKKEN DUMB BURGERS AND UR RUNNIN AND GUNNIN HAHAHAHA SO STUPID, CANT INTO SHOOTING A BOX OF 7X57 A YEAR AHAHA MY RIFLE WILL LAST 4EVER LOLOLOL SUCK IT

Not even a burger but I can literally taste the sour grapes hanging over your head.
>>
>>28398995
>housefire
>aimpoint was on gun
>everything burned but like how fucking awesome aimpoints are, it survived
>>
>>28399089
7x57? Haha close but no cigar. 7.7x56 for me.
Ill freely admit to the sour grapes on ammo. Its much more expensive here than anywhere else. Hence the reloading.
>>
>>28398966
If you read my post carefully (which you didn't), you would know I already stated this.
>>
>>28399138
i wouldnt say "survived"
i mean it turns on but im sure theres no way in hell that will ever be usable on any future rifle
>>
>>28398961
>-m-muh magnum
>shooting berdan primer ammo out of any modern calibre rifle
Last I checked .308 burns out R700 barrels just as fast as an AR-10.
>>
>>28399087
His question primarily was about AR brand AR rifle parts which I covered but optics is still overall relevant. What good is a rifle without sights and/or optics that can't hold zero?
>>
>>28399144

No you didn't.
>>
>>28398966
mild steel is about the same hardness as copper.
>>
>>28399347
>Copper: 35 HB
>Mild steel: 120 HB

Wow, it sure is!
I wonder why everyone uses expensive gliding metals except desperate people with their wartime industries running on fumes and some limited experimental use.
>>
>>28399379
>>28399379
barrel hardness: 700

Oh wow, what a massive increase.

Not to mention it's not even pure steel in the jacket so the actual hardness would most likely be around ~75.
>>
OP please check out the threads posted by the owner of Battlefield Vegas, they run the tourist trap full-auto rental range on the vegas strip.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html

He also posted threads for AKs, FALs, and high count handguns on arfcom and akfiles.

>Here's a little background on what we do. We operate a high-volume range in Las Vegas. You can't bring your personal weapons in and rent lanes for an hour. Customers use only our weapons and our ammo. We only use factory new ammo and zero reloads. We keep maintenance log on EACH and every weapon to include cleanings, parts replaced and any other issues that need to be noted. We shoot approximately 400,000 rounds down range each month and the numbers have actually gone up a bit for May and June. Tourists get to shoot everything from Type 99 Arisaka's, M1 Garand C and D's, MP-44's, G43's, M2HB's, 240's, 249's, MG42's, MG34's, M-14's, Luger's, Swedish K's, M203's, M79's and you get the point. Some weapons are very rare historical weapons that rarely come out of collections or museums and see the light of day.

Notable points from reading all his threads:
>AR15s will break bolts at 8-10k rounds no matter what brand, and if they don't break they go out of headspace at 20k.
>Lots of other issues like pin holes egging

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/159106_AK_abuse__home_built_version_update_on_Page_6_.html&page=1

>NPAP and OPAPs split vertically in the receiver
>Every stamped receiver breaks rails or rivets or cracks at 80k to 100k point
>No american, chinese, or bulgarian milled receiver has ever broken

Uzis are shit. Which was a disappointment to me.

Pistol thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/160140_High_round_count_pistols__100_000___observations.html

Glocks live 100,000 to 400,000 rounds on full auto before breaking.
>>
>>28399596

Also, Galils crack. MP5s run forever if you keep them clean (they use an ultrasonic bath). RPDs are complete shit and break. FALs tear themselves apart. I think their G3s are invincible. Any Glock not in 9mm tears itself apart as well over time, especially .40, 10mm, and 357 sig.
>>
>>28399611

Also, AK74 is much much much less reliable and durable than its AK47/AKM father (cousin?). The thin bolt stems actually crack. Lugs break off, even factory guns from Combloc countries.

Also muzzle brakes explode on AKs given enough time. Slant breaks crack, AK74 'bell' brakes will eventually explode and go downrange. Just use a muzzle nut.
>>
>>28399413
It's around 105 HV actually.
>>
>>28398630
Buy literally anything from BCM. You're welcome.
>>
>>28399596
This is full-auto fire though.

Also, Israeli made Uzis don't use heat treated steel, because they don't need to for the purposes they were used.

Vector Arms DID heat treat the steel on their Uzis and as such are tough as nails.

10k is quite a lot of rounds though
>>
do that and try doing pushups with your ar with magazine on the ground to test it
>>
>>28399596
>vegas tourist trap putting out more test data across several platforms then some agencies combined with just service issues
this post gave me a raging semi
>>
>>28399629
>Just use a muzzle nut.
We're not talking normal usage here, we're talking very high round counts in relatively short amounts of times.

Literally nobody will have issues with brakes on their AKs under any remotely normal circumstances.
>>
>>28398932
Do you mean to tell me that SIGs use that crappy WIRE as part of internals??? I'm forwarding this photo to my boss. I used to carry s P226 for security -- glad I'm back to an issued Taurus revolver. What can make a spring like that break? Wear and tear or major trauma?
>>
>>28398630
I get my parts mainly from Palmetto State Armory. Personally I always look for mil-spec parts as a starting point.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.