[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Lawgiver from the Judge Dredd comics a viable weapon in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13
File: 1444546814449.jpg (151 KB, 694x970) Image search: [Google]
1444546814449.jpg
151 KB, 694x970
Is the Lawgiver from the Judge Dredd comics a viable weapon in real life?
More accurately is it realisable for there to be a Handgun featuring semi-automatic and fully automatic fire, that can hold a variety of different ammo types simultaneously, and have security measures making sure it can only be fired by authorised personnel?

In the comics the Lawgiver usually carries 6 different kinds of ammo all at once, and the judge just flips a switch to select ammo types.
the standard issue ammunition types are: Standard, Heat Seeking, Rubber Ricochet, Armor Piercing, Incendiary, Hi-Explosive.
Also in the comics the gun has a palm-print scanner, so if an unauthorized individual attempts to fire the weapon, it explodes in their hand.
>>
>>28397570
No.
>>
>>28397570
nope
>>
File: 1444590409851.jpg (60 KB, 493x640) Image search: [Google]
1444590409851.jpg
60 KB, 493x640
>>28397585
>>28397603
Ok then. Thanks for answering my question!
>>
File: dredd dynamic entry.webm (3 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
dredd dynamic entry.webm
3 MB, 1280x536
>>28397570
>semi-automatic and fully automatic fire
never heard of an AR/AK pistol with a selector switch?
>hold a variety of different ammo types simultaneously
you can't put different rounds in the magazine all of a sudden?
>security measures making sure it can only be fired by authorized personnel
what is intelligun?

so, yes, the Lawgiver is already a thing
>>
>>28397570
> handprint sensors
Reasonable but bulky
> electronic ammo counter
Reasonable
> voice command activation
Reasonable, but, again, bulky due to the motors & conveyors needed
> multiple ammo types
Pretty ridiculous unless the ammo is almost microscopic
> shooting many bullets before reloading
As above
>>
File: LawgiverMK2.jpg (27 KB, 600x357) Image search: [Google]
LawgiverMK2.jpg
27 KB, 600x357
Left something out, With the lawgiver there is no sight to be looked down. At the back of the breach is a scope It aims through the bore to provide the Judge with an exact sight picture. It has Night Vision, and Infra-Red imaging modes.
>>28397674
Well in the comics the Lawgiver holds multiple ammo types simultaneously within it, so you're not actually switching magazines, you're just flipping a switch.
>>
>>28397748
Lawgiver works in the wonderful world of hollywood. IRL, it's kind of a no-go.
>>
>>28397806
I know, i just wanted an excuse to talk about Judge Dredd on /k/
also
>Judge Dredd
>hollywood
Its a british comic ya dongus.
>>
>>28397828
Its also got Hollywood adaptations.
>>
>>28397828
>Implying the Brits haven't been so thoroughly cucked by their colonies that vindaloo isn't their national dish and hollywood isn't their national fantasy life.

Anyway, Judge Dredd is obviously a parody of American-style ultraviolence.
>>
File: 1.jpg (921 KB, 1280x1781) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
921 KB, 1280x1781
>>
File: 2.jpg (904 KB, 1280x1773) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
904 KB, 1280x1773
>>
File: 3.jpg (943 KB, 1280x1790) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
943 KB, 1280x1790
>>
File: 4.jpg (914 KB, 1280x1754) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
914 KB, 1280x1754
>>
>>28397806
>IRL, it's kind of a no-go.
Sounds like a challenge to me.
>>
File: 5.jpg (818 KB, 1280x1751) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
818 KB, 1280x1751
>>
File: 6.jpg (895 KB, 1280x1762) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
895 KB, 1280x1762
>>
>>28398070
The look on her face.
>>
>>28398058
>hair in panel 1
>no hair in panel 4
>>
You could make a weapon that fires multiple types of ammunition it would just require a shitload of electro-mechanical work. Solenoids out the ass I would venture. Firing it accurately is a different matter.

Creating a receiver that takes that ammunution would be harder to do, it's housing would have to be big but again not impossible. You could create rotary chambers that would switch out receivers.

At the end of the day you could build this weapon now but it would look more like a ghostbuster proton pack than a pistol
>>
File: army future warrior.jpg (76 KB, 736x1222) Image search: [Google]
army future warrior.jpg
76 KB, 736x1222
>>28398241
or, maybe, just use more than one barrel
>>
No one points out its not multiple types of ammo but a base hollowpoint that extras are added to inside the gun on demand. Its printing warheads into a standard cavity, the propellant is two stage with electric ignition for double power +p, timed explosive head, or incendiary ignition.
Its more complicated than multiple stacks of ammo but in a near future setting not as much handwaving than switching ammo stacks mechanically.
>>
File: 1315277350746.jpg (5 KB, 264x282) Image search: [Google]
1315277350746.jpg
5 KB, 264x282
>>28398241

You'd reduce gun complexity by creating multi-purpose ammo.

For example, 9mm rounds that are explosive, less-than-lethal, incendiary, heat-seeking, etc. Each round would have a setting that can be toggled from the gun. Pretty sure the technology is all there, just that no one has miniaturised it enough on a per-round basis, but nothing that couldn't be overcome by throwing millions at it and having the best scientists on it.

Pros:
>simple gun
>one barrel
it just werks

Cons:
>price per round would be ridiculous

The gun itself would just be a gun with a palm scanner, etc, but the real technology would be the ammo.
>>
>>28400119

The heat-seeking rounds would be very unlikely, though. Maybe in 20 years.
>>
>>28397570
the only way I could think would be a small series of magazines up front with tiny bullets/warheads that are chambered by a computer, and a magazine in back with generic use caseless propellant blocks

gun chambers the propellant which in turn brings the selected round into the breach farther down?
>>
>>28403123
We have a winner. Cant find the article but it explained just that. The gun makes custom rounds from the base hollow point loading it with whats needed. Doubling powder charge for armor piercing, etc.

I cant help but think of a chest rig that does this for 12 gauge. Not crammed into the gun but a magic box you shove the tip of a slug in and say "tungsten tip" or "green flare" and so on. Maybe some of that light reactive epoxy injection for shot into slug option.
>>
>>28404547
This just gave me some ideas.

If the gun took the propellant then added it to the projectile just before firing, would it still be regulated by the ATF (MGs, SBs, etc.)?

If this hooked up with that 3D printed ammo rifle from COD Advanced Warfare you could get some fun options, though bore diameter & rifling would have to be a compromise. For ammo choices: start with projectile structure, select projectile materials then choose powder load.
Standard Load? Truncated Cone+Copper/Lead+1x Charge
Hollow Point? HP Cone+Copper/Lead+1x Charge
Frangibles? Porous Truncated Cone+Copper/Polymer+.5x Charge
Rubber Bullets? Sphere+Polymer+.5x Charge
AP? Spitzer/Sabot+Steel/Polymer+2x Charge
Buckshot? 6x #4 Buck+Lead+1.5x Charge

Homing rounds, HE Charges, Tranq darts, etc. might have to be done like rifle grenades (i.e. BLANK+BLANK+X Charge) due to their projectile's esoteric nature.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.