[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
But really, do you use gun locks, /k/? Or at the least do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: gun lock.jpg (610 KB, 1005x1200) Image search: [Google]
gun lock.jpg
610 KB, 1005x1200
But really, do you use gun locks, /k/? Or at the least do you treat them as a novelty and use them for other things?
>>
>>28395669
Are you me? I just refound the lock that came with my GSR. I'm probably going to end up using it on my cases when going to the range.
>>
File: sn.png (38 KB, 124x164) Image search: [Google]
sn.png
38 KB, 124x164
>>28395669
>the lock on the pic is an absolutely generic cheap chinese lock
>ruger puts its logo on it
>now the lock has a higher price
>>
>>28395761
>>name brand Items in a nutshell
>>
Generally when I'm transporting my funs anywhere other than the local range, but that's about it. The rest of the time, all but my HD pistol are in the safe
>>
>>28395761

Aren't these just packaged in with every purchase? Why would you go out of your way to buy one.
>>
>>28395669
I use hard cases with Abloy security locks when travelling, otherwise I use a safe.
>>
>>28395761
Even a shitty lock can deny access. How determined you are to access the denied object plays a big part of whether it will hold or not.
>>
File: Mail Attachment (1).jpg (225 KB, 822x1118) Image search: [Google]
Mail Attachment (1).jpg
225 KB, 822x1118
Not necessary unless you have kids in the house.

Don't you guys know what this is really about?
>>
File: 1443302603792.jpg (94 KB, 720x536) Image search: [Google]
1443302603792.jpg
94 KB, 720x536
Easiest way to comply with the storage laws in syrup land.

Otherwise they don't do shit. If you want to prevent theft get a gun safe and bolt it to the wall.
>>
>>28395876
>wall
Nigger you bolt that shit to the foundation
>>
>>28395844
Masterlock and clones like in OP's pic are made to stop the "dumb thief". They hold up well under impact and pry force caused by hammers, crowbars, and even bullets. Someone with even a rudimentary understanding of lockpicking can defeat one in second though.
>>
I have a small locker at work that I use them on; no one used to lock their shit, but oddly enough after opening up a night shift & hiring several new black people, shits been starting to come up missing. Never used a lock before, but now I rotate these out I've never used them before, but never felt like just throwing them away made sense, either. Since they're always gun locks, I'm hoping that the culprit has some common sense.

...they've got to notice with the Mossberg ones...
>>
>>28395844
this might be too much but:

1. i used to be a "professional" safe cracker/lock picker
2. no i'm not in the US, and i'm out of the business. got a good gig in the army now doing boring admin work so no more stealing or anything anymore.
3. locks can be a deterrent or a detainer, but they aren't a denier. even the best security locks like some of the weird disc detainer ones with 16 pins, 3 shear lines, side bars, and all can be defeated with time and effort.
4. you're correct that it's largely a matter of delaying the thief long enough that the risk is no longer worth the reward. if someone is dedicated to stealing it, it will be stolen.
>>
>>28395864
>my sides

Holy shit I'm going to print this out
>>
>>28395908
i'm >>28395955
and i wanted to chime in with:
>Masterlock and clones
>and clones
cheap chinese clones don't often use hardened steel, and worse, the snap ring that keeps the core in the lock can be pried out with a screw driver and the actuator engaged directly - no lock picked at all.

masterlocks are complete trash anyway, and american (the brand) ones are too.

my record for raking open a Masterlock #4 is 5 seconds.
>>
>>28395955
>>28395991
Just out of curiosity, did you teach yourself to pick locks or were you tutored? And how often is the pin rake method effective?
>>
>>28395991
I pick my master 140 on the toilet. The hardware store at the end of my street has a large stock of American locks, the old ones. It's the only place in town that sells anything other than masterlock crap. Still haven't managed to get the American 5530 open but my top of the keyway tools get here tomorrow.
>>
>>28395669
I lostmy padlock from work, and started using my ruger brand lock.
>>
>>28396027
taught myself when i was around 10 to rake open easy locks with wire. eventually was taught pin picking by someone in the know, but when i was in my snatch and grab phase it was all using a sledge hammer or attacking the shackle. on the locks that were good we would attack the chain since morons almost always used bad chains or cables that could be snipped.

i got into safe cracking and robbery (not people, just businesses and banks i never wanted to hurt anyone) in my late teens. i was pinched eventually and forced into the army in return for teaching my B&E skills to some people and "serving" out a sentence pushing papers.
>>
>>28396027
Not him but DEFCON-con sessions by "the lock-picking village" has nice introductory level videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DEFCONConference/search?query=Lockpicking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU7-r83Nx3Y
>>
>>28396028
i like practicing on abloy locks because they are cheap and still good quality. the new pacific locks from the US are nice too, much better than the old ones.
>>
>>28395801

I have never gotten a padlock like that with a gun, always either a cable lock or a trigger lock.
>>
>>28396027
>And how often is the pin rake method effective?
oh, i think i forget to answer this: the rake method works on nearly all masterlocks and similar designs that use only standard pins and have an easy pinning. fucking the lock (using a wrench to turn gently, but jamming the pick in randomly on pins) can work a lot too.

both methods tend to work on clones, cheaply made locks, and masterlocks and american locks after masterlock buy the company.

older american locks were kind of rake resistant, but still possible depending on pinning if the rear pins are reachable. easy with the rake. i would say you have a 50/50 chance if you can spot the cheap lock that you can easily rake it open.

it's one of those "hey that looks like a cheap lock, lemme try this for 10 sec for an easy steal." methods, not one to depend on.
>>
I used to because I lived with kids that didn't respect my privacy and a felon stayed there sometimes. I didn't trust any of them and my dad had crackhead friends when I lived with him. If I could take them with me, I did. I almost never left them in the house when I lived there. They usually stayed in my trunk or were hidden with two locks on each, and with the keys on me.

Now that I'm in my own place and don't have crackheads or kids I don't trust. No. I'm the only one here and there's no point in using locks.
>>
I used them to learn lockpicking.

I exceeded the skill required in about 2 minutes, to the point that they once again became useless.
>>
>>28395669
I got one like that with my ruger, and some weird cable/pad lock with my 1911. I've never used either.
>>
>>28396028
That's a good idea. Better than screwing around on my phone. I'll put some locks in bathroom
>>
only if I'm leaving the house and I know no one else will be home at some point.
in that case, I'll unload everything, store ammo and lock it up.

if I'm just going to the store and know someone will be home the whole time, I leave the rifle and revolver in their usual hidey holes if they end up needing them.
>>
>>28395685
I forgot to lock my GSR box and some eyepatch wearing old man fucking stole it when I wasn't looking
>>
>>28395669
Literally the first thing to go into the trash
>>
>>28396092
I got the same lock in op's pic with my 10/22
>>
>>28395669

i use that exact lock for my locker at work.
>>
>>28396092

Ruger pairs this lock with a bent pice of metal that covers the trigger guard and magwell and forces the action open.
>>
>>28395669
Have that exact lock, its cheap shit. You can rake it with a paper clip and have it open in about 20 seconds
>>
>>28395844
those and trigger clamp locks take less than 10 seconds to defeat with a paperclip, i know this because ive done it multiple times out of boredom
>>
File: tumblr_nzvxucPxLi1r300nio1_500.jpg (92 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzvxucPxLi1r300nio1_500.jpg
92 KB, 500x500
When I'm travelling on airplanes, I lock all the guns, remove the bolts, etc. I don't trust TSA, but as a frequent flyer and someone who is constantly conducting business across the USA, I have no other option. For instance, I'm in Miami right now, but tomorrow I'm flying back home to Houston. On Thursday I'm flying to Utah, and next Sunday I'm flying to New Hampshire.

I may not trust TSA, but I trust FedEx and UPS even less.
>>
>>28398286
Or it comes just like that with revolvers
>>
I don't use them.

But I live alone, have a fence around my property, and have a safe to put guns in.
>>
>>28395908
you can make a master key with little effort.
>>
>>28403318
It's less effort to rake one, read the thread.
>>
i use one as a bike lock
>>
>>28396077
no need to lie on the internet
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.