[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military Rations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: uk ration pack.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
uk ration pack.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Which countries' MREs taste the best, and where can I buy them?

t. dirt poor student
>>
>>28395604
France. eBay.
>>
>>28395604
You don't, MRE's are expensive as fuck. You want cheap food that won't kill you? Brown rice, assorted beans, flank steak and mixed veggies.
>>
The only way to get them cheaply is to join the military.
>>
>>28395629
this

MREs are way more expensive that you're imagining they are.

Just buy bulk rice, beans, canned vegetables and canned fruit at costco and invest in some quality cookware
>>
>>28395629
>red meat
Use ground turkey instead. Way cheaper and healthier
>>
>>28395604
either canada's or the ones from germany/estonia/latvia/austria (i think they buy them from the same manufacturer).

individual MREs are expensive compared to just getting a 7-11 sandwich/drink/fruit or cooking rice/beans/chicken and adding salt/pepper.

MREs are "cheap" in the military because they are free, and uncle same buys millions of the things.
>>
>>28395629
>>28395646

Oh. I was thinking I could buy like 100 or so in bulk, and then eat one every other day. Can you not get MREs in bulk?
>>
>>28395663
Not if it's the only meat you're eating and only eating it 3 times a week. Ever hear of rabbit starvation?

>>28395688
>one every other day
Are you one of those retards that thinks US MRE's have like six gajillion calories in them? You need two a day on a normal diet, they're 5-10 dollars a piece. And no you can't buy them in bulk, at least not how you're thinking.
>>
>>28395671
just wanted to add i ate them for decades and they are extremely high calorie so unless you plan on running everywhere and hauling gear you'll get fat right the fuck quick.

96-present, us army
>>
>>28395720
>they are extremely high calorie
No they're not. A single MRE is ~1300 calories if you eat literally everything in the pack.
>>
File: list.png (14 KB, 506x152) Image search: [Google]
list.png
14 KB, 506x152
>>28395716
>>28395734

I thought they normally had approx 3200 calories in them - thats enough for my TDEE and then some. See pic- this is from a place that sells French RCIR ration packs.

>>28395720

Im a powerlifter so I basically live in a perpetual state of permabulking - I'm not too worried.
>>
>>28395688
You're looking at $7 per mre (more if you import some other country's rations), and you can expect to eat about two of them per day if that's your only food source.
They are far from healthy. They are designed to give you calories needed to complete a military operation, and deal with the consequences of eating that trash once everythings over.

Buy smart, and being at the mercy of mre's will never have to be an option.
>>
>>28395734

x3/day is a fuckload of calories for anyone not being VERY active, or those without the metabolism of "that skinny kid that eats McDonalds everyday, but weighs 135 pounds".
>>
>>28395751
Foreign MRE's typically revolve around a 24-hour ration. US MRE's are still made with the "breakfast/lunch/dinner" mindset. Each pack is supposed to be one of your meals, three of them put together equaling about a day's calorie requirements for your average soldier.

>>28395771
So he eats two a day you dumb fuck, I said that earlier.
>>
>>28395751
>Im a powerlifter so I basically live in a perpetual state of permabulking - I'm not too worried.

You WILL be worried when you suddenly lose 10 pounds of gains in a horrifying, painful, and explosive jettison of waste after a week of failing to shit.
>>
>>28395771

>this triggers the /fitizen/

>>28395800

What about eating them once every 3 days? Would that mitigate the... health complications?

Not going to lie, a big part of why MREs attract me is that it would be really nice to have a set meal ready made and with macros already calculated for me.
>>
>>28395688
You can, but expect to pay 7-8 USD per meal, making them not the most economical way to eat. Buying 100 would run you about 600 dollars if you can get a good bulk discount.

There is other prepared, shelf stable food options. White rice and canned black beans are very energy dense and a complete protein that don't require refrigeration. If you can't do cooking or refrigeration, then oatmeal soaked in cold water with beans will do as well. Supplement with vitamines, and you can live on that.

Strongly suggest a rice cooker. Brown rice is nice, but it's not shelf stable and goes bad pretty quickly, so fuck that.

For a little higher cost and more verity then there are plenty 30-day food supplies that go for around 80-100 dollars each. 3-4 dollars a day isn't so bad.
>>
>>28395604
French MREs are the best no questions
>>
>>28395825
Since we don't seem to be getting this through your head.

DO NOT EAT MRE'S AS A DAILY DIET.
THEY ARE NOT MEANT FOR LONGTERM SUSTAINMENT, THEY ARE MEANT FOR WHEN YOU'RE IN BUMFUCKISTAN 20 MILES FROM THE MESS TENT FOR THREE DAYS. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AS FUCK AND YOU WILL BE MUCH BETTER OFF DOING >>28395629
>>
File: Soylent.jpg (68 KB, 500x704) Image search: [Google]
Soylent.jpg
68 KB, 500x704
>>28395825

Still not super cheap, but good macros and lesser nutrients for most people
>>
>>28395734
1300 in one meal if a pretty huge amount of fucking calories you godless couchfuck considering you're supposed to have between 1800-2400 in a day for an active adult male.
>>
>>28395855

B-but i wasnt talking about having them as a daily diet. I said "once every 3 days", didnt I?

>>28395860

Oh man, I totally forgot about these things. Have they improved the taste at all since 2013?
>>
>>28395885

I don't know, I've been drinking it for the last few months and I look forward to having it, but it's filling enough that I don't drink it too quickly. Everyone I've had try it doesn't think it's terrible but refuse more.
>>
>>28395867
>in one meal
Why is /k/ so full of retards the past few days? Have you ever actually seen what a full MRE looks like? You don't eat the entire thing all at once, you're meant to eat bits of it here and there. Two a day would be roughly 2600 calories but there's tons of shit in them he can just not eat like the sugar packets or that god awful "cheese" spread or the other sugar filled jams. You can easily get an MRE down to 900-1000 calories by pulling out the bullshit padding that's necessary for soldiers.

>>28395885
>B-but i wasnt talking about having them as a daily diet. I said "once every 3 days", didnt I?
Congratulations, you've died of malnourishment. Just do what I said in post 3 and stop being a whiny bitch about having to spend 15 minutes cooking a meal.
>>
>>28395834
>Brown rice is nice, but it's not shelf stable and goes bad pretty quickly, so fuck that.
Oh come on, are you trying to buy like 20 lb bags of rice and keep them around for years? Brown rice doesn't go bad quick enough to worry about it.
>>
>>28395885
>>28395910

Oh and they can be bought in bottles already mixed up now for the same price. They do give some people bad gas though and the bottled form contains soy unlike the powder.
>>
>>28395604
Military rations are expensive as hell and they taste like shit.

Learn how to cook man, its fucking sad that so many people in their 20s can't make anything but a hot pocket.
>>
>>28395917

Um, obviously I wasnt planning to eat ONLY MREs, I would eat normally for 2 days, then eat an MRE, then repeat.

That should be self-evident to any but the most spectacularly boneheaded of morons.

>>28395921

Right, so the powder is the way to go. I'll definitely check it out, thanks a lot man.

>>28395932

Yeah, its a little embarassing for me too.

All I can cook is:
>pasta
>bacon
>steak
Thats pretty much been my diet for the last 2 years, but its really expensive, although the butcher gives me a discount since I'm such a regular customer.
>>
File: hersheys.jpg (82 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
hersheys.jpg
82 KB, 550x412
>you will never eat a hersheys desert bar
just end me phams
>>
>>28395951
>That should be self-evident to any but the most spectacularly boneheaded of morons.
Since you've said literally nothing about it, no, it's not. And again, MRE's are a stupid fucking choice and you are a mouth breathing, pants on head retard if you think they're a good cheap food supply.

>All I can cook is:
>>pasta
>>bacon
>>steak
Congratulations, you can cook literally everything mentioned in >>28395629
>>
>>28395951
Why don't you just look up some recipes and try them out? Cooking is literally just following instructions. Yeah, you may not cook something exactly to perfection the first time, but that's part of doing anything the first time. Then when you get experience you can start fucking around and creating all kinds of good stuff based on your taste.
>>
File: 1451508074803.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1451508074803.gif
4 MB, 320x240
>>28395953
this makes me.....sad
>>
>>28395951
Hey man that sucks, even when I was in the Army I kept a hot plate in my room to cook.

If you're broke and want something with decent nutrition learn how to make split pea soup.
A bag of split peas is about a dollar
A big bag of onions is a couple bucks
A giant bone in ham is around $20

1 bag of peas, an onion, and 1 1/2 cups diced ham makes a giant pot of tasty pea soup with a ton of protein and fiber.
>>
>>28395834
Any that you recommend? /fat/ trying to get /fit/, taking the thinking out of eating would help me a lot.
>>
>>28396241
Pea soup. Lentils. Chili.
>>
>>28396283
I'm sorry, I meant to ask about the premade meal plans he was talking about for $100/month.
>>
>>28396300
Make them yourself?

Seriously, it's way more economical to make homemade versions of hot pockets, instant noodles, burritos, egg rolls.. I mean whatever the hell you normally stuff in a microwave for a quick meal can be made by you, yourself, and in bulk for cheap.

Oh and it's healthier too and you can tailor everything to your exact needs. If you seriously cannot figure out how to make egg rolls or pizza pockets then you have to be mentally retarded because it's literally stuff stuffed inside of dough and then cooked.
>>
>>28395951
Then learn to cook. Rice is cheap, and super easy to make with a rice cooker. You can slap rice, frozen veggies, and fish all in the rice cooker and let it go to town. Minimal effort and minimal cleanup. Fried rice? Rice cooker the rice AND the chopped carrots so they get soft, start cooking your diced meat in a pan/wok (you can time it so they'll get done at the same time), when the rice is done done slap that shit into the pan with oil and the rest of your veg for a couple minutes, DONE - delicious and easy as fuck
>>
>>28395604

MREs are designed for short term nutrition they were never designed to be eaten daily for weeks or months on end. Listen to all the others here buy rice in bulk and beans. If you want meat buy cheaper cuts and cook them until tender. Also a Crock Pot is your friend cook once a week on a weekend and eat all week.
>>
>>28396300
>>28396408
Here, I'll give you a recipe I use to get you started:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/homemade-pizza-rolls-totinos-recipe.html

Been doing this one for years. Oh, and here's a quick and easy DIY hot pocket: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Hot-Pockets-Homemade/

Personally I get bannock dough and then wrap that around some cooked meat and some other filling (vegetables, cheese, etc) and then bake it. It's filling as fuck because it's flat dough around a meal, and the whole thing tends to weigh at least a couple pounds. (though you can make a smaller one if you're not a burly mountain man)

This is portable stuff so you can eat and go, something to stuff in a pouch while you go running and then munch on when you take walking breaks.
>>
>>28395932

My parents taught me to cook for myself. Best skill they ever taught me I save to much money from not eating out all the time.
>>
>>28395751
TLDR a soldier in the field with gear doing shit, all day, sleep deprived, is expected to burn 5000-600 calories a day, more in Extreme hot/cold environments - esp. cold environments.
Esp. cold environments. Esp. cold environments.

You can literally burn 8000 calories doing strenuous activity in cold weather environments.
>>
>>28395781
>US MRE's are still made with the "breakfast/lunch/dinner" mindset.
But the cheese omlette MRE is pretty much the only MRE with breakfast in mind.

The rest are decent lunches/dinners, but there should be a new menu made with several more breakfast options. Bacon and eggs, pancakes with syrup packs, bagel bites with "cream cheese substitute non-expiring edible food paste (non dairy)"
>>
>>28396241
If you want to lose weight for relatively cheap, try the Military Diet.
http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/
Some of you might give me shit cause:
>hurr durr I'm on the military diet I'm a badass
But I did it for 3weeks/month for 2 months over the summer and lost 30 pounds, and then for 2 weeks before Christmas to lose 10 pounds.
As long as you don't go crazy on the off days, it isn't hard to drop weight. It's not too expensive, and substitutions are easily made.
>>
>>28398412
That's a really small amount of food. Like damn that's really low calorie. If you're going to murder yourself like that do yourself a favor and add more low-cal vegetables. And make good use of the substitutes so you don't get tired of eating the same thing all the time.
>>
Where can I buy A full German ration that is not E-bay?
>>
>>28398412
also why is it called the military diet? They don't answer that in their About or FAQ
>>
>>28398412
>1 slice of bread and 1 egg for lunch

Fucking nope
>>
UK are the best

But MRE is a specific American ration, it doesn't mean all military rations.
>>
>>28398758
it's supposed to be 3 day on, 4 day off, but even then, fug dat
>>
>>28395860
SOYLENT IS PEOPLE
>>
>>28395604
Better idea.

>Electric Stovetop.
>A Cutting Board
>Rice, Beans, Chicken.

SO DAMN SIMPLE!!!
>>
>>28398891
No, just Soylent Green.
>>
French Military rations are supposed to be the best
>>
>know a guy who works at the local landfill.
>mcas nearby.
>they throw away shit tons of MREs that have literally nothing wrong with them.
>not_too_bad.png
>>
>>28395953
>>28396063
Isn't it basically chocolate and oat flour?
>>
>>28395734
~1300 kcal per serving
Geezus you are fat
Or have the metabolism of Michael phelps
>>
>>28400145
you need like up to 5000-6000 calories some days so no.
>>
>>28398412

Lel this is the worst thing i have seen in a long time
>>
>>28395604
You are a mouthbreathing retard. MREs are expensive and unsustainable, they are not peasant food.

You want something that can sustain you without a lot of effort for preparation, too fucking bad. >>28395629 and whatever you can get for next to free with manufacturers coupons.

Cheap stuff is cheap because it takes time to use, which is cheap for peasants but valuable to people who contribute to society.
>>
Don't EVER eat the Salmon meal, it will give you pneumonia and cancer within 5 minutes.
>>
File: 1451667763374.jpg (142 KB, 450x599) Image search: [Google]
1451667763374.jpg
142 KB, 450x599
Not OP, but a lazy /fit/fag. Would MREs be a nice and easy way to get my calorific requirements readymade and prepackaged?
>>
>>28404113
Dude, the quaker oatmeal packs are cheap as hell, tasty, and are 1/2 of the requirement to getting /fit/ as fuck. The other of course being squatz. Fuck, Imma go make some right now.
>>
>>28404113
No. Even if you're participating in an endurance sport or recreational activity, it's better to pack your own shit. MREs are especially not recommended for your purposes. If you need >3000 cal/day you should be planning every meal. This is even more crucial for someone trying to bulk because you want to be meeting your personal dietary goals. Lazy fitness eventually turns into no fitness.
>>
>>28404113
thick, solid, juicy...
>>
File: 6054074661_d4c235a709_b.jpg (403 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
6054074661_d4c235a709_b.jpg
403 KB, 1024x683
>>28395604
>Which countries' MREs taste the best

Mexico.
>>
>>28395671
Canadas are shit. Get off the drugs
>>
File: 1326796348423.gif (1020 KB, 400x229) Image search: [Google]
1326796348423.gif
1020 KB, 400x229
>>28395604
I came in here to berate the OP.

Glad to see you guys have already done it so well.

Cheers
>>
http://news.yahoo.com/army-wants-pay-peope-eat-135703025.html?nf=1

the army will pay you to ear MREs all day

are you man enough?
>>
>>28404366
God I fucking love Chalupas. Are they just tacos in pita bread? I can't figure out what the shell is.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.