[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3D Printed Parts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: grdgdggbtfdhfh.png (725 KB, 650x778) Image search: [Google]
grdgdggbtfdhfh.png
725 KB, 650x778
So I'm seeing a lot of 3D printed part ideas being thrown around now that it's more widely available and I was just wondering what the consensus was on which parts are suitable to be safely substituted for a 3D printed one instead of a commercially made one.

I'm thinking foregrips, mag grips, and rail mounts would be suitable. What about a lower like pic related?
>>
>>28389708
If you made that into a sand casting mold that would be pretty dope

Add a couple swastikas and runes, and I would buy one even as an 80%
>>
>>28389708
>which parts are suitable to be safely substituted for a 3D print
everything but the bcg, barrel, and springs
>>
>>28389734

>sand casting
What about lost wax casting?
Could you do that yourself in bronze?
>three thousand years later archaeologists try to figure out what the fuck this is

Also
>swastikas and runes
Why so Volkisch?
>>
The problem with any non metal lower is that it can't handle much stress on the area between the buffer ring and where the grip goes. Unless it is reinforced with some form of metal it will break easily.
As for what you can print aside from lowers, most furniture and rails should be fine as well as magazine bodys/followers/floorplates.
all you'd need to buy is the spring
>>
Inject molded lowers don't even last for very long, and you want to 3d print one?

Warfairy made some specially designed lowers with tons of reinforcements that were made with 3d printing in mind, but for the most part 3d-printed stuff is not a good idea for use in firearms.

Also, it's important to note that the quality of 3d printed goods varies a LOT based on your machine and material used. You're going to have to be more specific, OP.

>foregrip printed on a FDM 3d printer in ABS or someting
The heat from the barrel will melt it.

>foregrip printed on a $12k machine in nylon?
Yeah, that will work.
>>
>>28389708
Something to keep in mind is that thermoplastics than can be printed aren't very durable.They're great for rapid prototyping, but they can't handle heat and physical stress very well.
>>
>>28389810

Well my city library has a Makerbot Replicator 2 ($2500 machine) that they let me you for free at the library so I'm just seeing if I can SAFELY save some cash. I don't need gucci furniture but I don't want shit to melt or break.
>>
>>28389871
it uses PLA
>>
>>28389871
I own six Replicator 2's. Trust me when I say they're not suitable for making firearms accessories. Like >>28389925 said, it uses PLA which has a very low melting point and is also fairly brittle.
>>
I have a cad file for a reinforced lower if anyone wants me to send it to them. You just have to convert it to .ipt
>>
>>28390057

I see, so even a foregrip would be heated to an unsafe degree?
>>
>>28390094
whats it look like senpai
>>
>>28391073
so /k/ converts "f a m" to senpai. Learn something new every day
>>
>>28391084
That's a site-wide filter. How new are you?
>>
>>28389810
most foregrips are abs, dummy.
if the abs melted then your hand would have long been burned to a crisp anyway.
you think theyre using glass reinforced nylon for a foregrip?
>>
>>28391391
well, maybe not to a crisp but it would fucking hurt.
>>
>>28391356
Been here for 6 years just never typed the word senpai anywhere lol
>>
>>28392462
It's because that reddit "s m h - t b h - f a m" shit was swarming the site, so making anybody using it look like more of an idiot than before was easier than playing mod whack-a-mole.
>>
>>28389708

Why does it seem like a plastic lower would be really fucking fragile? Especially where the buffer tube goes..
>>
>>28392794
meh, I call anons senpai too though so whatever
>>
>>28389708
how raped in court would you be by a lawyer if you shot someone with that?
>>
>>28389708
would buy, just for shit and giggles even though that's edgy as fuck
>>
>>28389765
Upper, front trunnion and any other odds and ends bits and pieces.

Polymer is fucking great, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see someone make AR18 uppers for 3D printed lowers for poorfag SCARs, but it's not the end all, be all just yet, though it is nearing it pretty soon for decent, for polymer anyways, lowers thanks to the new fiberglass impregnating 3D printer that basically shits Glock brand knockoff plastic, and the new Aluminide polymer that is stupidly strong and doesn't warp if you do slow and thin layers along with special printing geometry.
>>
>>28392864
Depends, if it was a 50 50 you could be guilty or it could have been a clean kill/shoot, it deffinfly wouldnt help your case.
If you was dead to rights in the wrong, might the sentencing portion worse.
>>
>>28389810
I've got a $1400 printer with friends that can do nylon but I haven't tried it yet. The quality we're getting on ABS kicks the shit out of other cheaper printers though. Pretty impressed.
>>
>>28389784

Some of us are still proud of our heritage and don't listen to the large-nosed man on TV who says we're meanie meanie woo-woos.
>>
>>28396525
>proud of nazi heritage
this isn't actually a thing, is it?
>>
File: Swastikas.jpg (425 KB, 1208x950) Image search: [Google]
Swastikas.jpg
425 KB, 1208x950
>>28396550

The swastika, runes, and other symbology predate the Third Reich you doofus.
>>
>>28396573
thats because time traveling nazis
>>
>>28396573
I'm well aware the shape predates nazis. I wasn't assuming you were ethiopian when you said
>large-nosed man on TV who says we're meanie meanie woo-woos.
>>
>>28396599
this.
its the only possible explanation.
>>
>>28396620

My people being persecuted by Semites predates WWII as well.
>>
>>28396573
Crazy how most of them all go the same direction. You'd think there would be a more even distribution.
>>
>>28396599
This senpai
>>
>>28396573
Yeah, but when you see a guy with a swastika on show you don't exactly think "Boy oh boy that guy sure looks he's proud of Polish heritage", do you now?
>>
>>28396525
> being proud of butthurt back-to-back world war losers
> thinking white American heritage has anything to do with nazi Germany when most German-Americans were smart enough to came over here earlier to get away from their shithole nation before things really got fucked
>>
File: StormBolter.jpg (31 KB, 519x420) Image search: [Google]
StormBolter.jpg
31 KB, 519x420
>>28389734
What it needs is some motherfucking wings
>>
File: cries in spanish.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
cries in spanish.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>28399435
This.
>>28397708
>common core
>>28396573
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.