[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/GG/ --Gunsmithing General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: stuff for doing stuff.jpg (110 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
stuff for doing stuff.jpg
110 KB, 880x660
Looking into doing amateur gunsmithing.

I am mostly familiar with the AR platform, only thing i haven't learned how to do is disassemble the trigger assembly, but i hear that is easy. I figured starting with ARs is a good point because they are easy but would like to learn other guns too. picture is the kit im thinking about copping for the tools i don't have, and for extras on the ones i do have.

anyone here gunsmith? tips and shit for it?

also, gunsmithing discussion.
>>
>>28387247
Bump for interest.
>>
>>28387247
Not OP but bump for interest. What tools do I need to build a stripped lower into a complete lower to be mated with a complete upper?
>>
>>28387312
not many tools for the lower.

ive taken apart and reassembled most of it with a screw driver, some punches, and some allen keys. the buffer tube you may need a wrench and a vise will help. but if you dont have the proper wrench you could probably nigger rig something.
>>
>>28387340
What is the proper wrench and how much does it cost?
>>
File: wrenchy thing for doing things.jpg (25 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
wrenchy thing for doing things.jpg
25 KB, 880x660
>>28387344
tapco makes one for like 30 bucks and it can be used for a bunch of other shit.

>pic related
>>
>>28387344
>>28387361
you may be able to find a cheaper one, i just googled it and that was the cheaper one i found in the 30 sec.
>>
File: vise.jpg (44 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
vise.jpg
44 KB, 435x435
>>28387344
You need a castle nut wrench. I got mine on Cheaper Than Dirt for 5$.

If you're buying a decent handguard, it should come with an installation tool, no need to spend 30 bones on a stupid wrench.

When I did my build, I used the following:

Hex key set
small bench vise (pic related)
geissele reaction rod
5$ castle nut wrench
Channel lock pliers
Dead blow plastic mallet

I also used a torque wrench for barrel nut installation.
>>
>>28387519
was that for the lower only? or upper and lower?
>>
>>28387519
Both.

You won't need the reaction rod or mallet for the lower.

Also, I forgot, I made my own tool for installing the front take-down pin detent. I drilled a hole in the end of a 1/4 inch wood dowel so I could install the detent and spring through the hole, rotate it 90 degrees, then chase the take down pin in after the dowel.

That was the hardest part of the build, really, and it got 99% easier when I built that dowel tool.
>>
>>28387533
post pics?
>>
>>28387534
I'll find the dowel in a few...
>>
>>28387247
>AR Building
>Gunsmithing

It's a lot more like legos.
>>
>>28387543
>I figured starting with ARs is a good point because they are easy but would like to learn other guns too.

hence why i said it is a good starting point faggot. the thread is not limited to only AR building.
>>
File: ghetto tool.jpg (850 KB, 2316x2064) Image search: [Google]
ghetto tool.jpg
850 KB, 2316x2064
>>28387534
>>28387537
This literally took 2 mins to make. 1/8th inch drill bit and some sanding to get it to fit in the take down pin hole.
>>
>>28387553
It's a new year and you're already salty
>>
>>28387605
Salty crackers are the best Yo.
>>
Kinda related. Do you thing filling my gp-100 barrel lug in to a axe/knife shape would be a bad idea? I mean it's like a club already. I could pistol chop instead of pistol whip.
>>
>>28388050
Depends on what you define as bad.

A bayonete on a rifle is already a last resort option, making it a strategy on a pistol? Uh, no.

You would also be more or less doing a bubba job on your gun, and ruin it's value.

You would probably be better off changing it into a half underlug barrel, to make the balance better in the hand.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.