[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Range Targets (For the desert) Fuck the gunrange edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: hmaderangethingy.jpg (57 KB, 553x640) Image search: [Google]
hmaderangethingy.jpg
57 KB, 553x640
So I wanna see what you guys take out with you to set up, I want to make a set of cheap in expensive wooden, paper target holders. The neatest thing I've come across is making a small saw horse and getting some L Steel and hanging breakable stuff there while above having a picture frame type set up for paper targets. What do you guys use? as for me I usually just take some clays, maybe a few paper targets and set them up on whatever someone else has left behind.
>>
>>28383762
all the local ranges ive been to around jacksonville won't even let you put up human shaped targets. Why are you like this north carolina?
>>
>>28383762
Bottles. Me and my buddy love to shoot bottles. We'll pool some cash to buy some ammo and bottles.

We pool cash because he's nogunz so if he's gonna shoot my guns he's gonna chip in. I don't make enough to pay for everything myself.
>>
>>28383796
Any specific reason why?
>No human practice?
>>28383814
Love bottles and cans, but the cans have to be filled with something, took a bunch of old beer cans with us last time and 5.56 blew it up perty nicely.
>>
>>28383849
We get something cheap at the store. What we don't shoot we drink and save for next time. More than a few beer cans have been filled with water and food coloring before being exploded.
>>
>>28383762
I have an ar550 steel plate shaped like this, I use a rubber strap to hang it from trees
>>
>>28383849
no idea the only time i asked the RSO just said "read the range rules" and walked away.
>>
File: ar500target.jpg (44 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
ar500target.jpg
44 KB, 800x800
>>28383889
shiet forgot pic
>>
>>28383897
Fuckin gay.
>>28383889
>>28383902
Nice Nice, my next target is my old car door and a hood I found off the side of the road.
>>
>>28383762
I bring a dolly out to the range since

1) The width is perfect for paper targets
2) instead of carrying heavy steel plates up and down a hill or long distances i roll my dolly
3) costs less than steel targets
>>
>>28383762
Here you go. Cheap, easy, effective. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/h6WjXuSrGaY
>>
>>28383762
I got my good targets from JC steel targets, i met the owner at a range and he convinced me to buy a few targets.
>>
>>28383897
I hate Flatwoods too anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Garbage is your friend luckily Arizona has a fuckton
>>
>>28384546

Good goy
>>
File: 20151015_141947.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151015_141947.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
My personal range at camp. But am making big changes this coming summer.

At the moment its only 40 yards but I shoot mostly pistol right now.

This coming summer I am pushing back the targets to 80 yards and setting up a stand alone 25 yard pistol range. All targets are 1/2 AR500 steel. I am added a 24" gong at the 80 yard range and 4 6" disks on the pistol range.
>>
I have a lot of acreage and can set up targets as I want. I am planning on doing a fair bit of earthmoving, but I am also in NC and the past several months have been entirely too rainy to do much work, plus the tractors have been busy before that in a mad rush to deal with all the tobacco (and attendant issues with heavy rain).

However, I really like the JC Steel targets. You hang them on a normal T post. If you follow their instructions and leave them just a tiny bit loose, you get a nice CLANG on impact and they are very durable. I shoot mine with everything from 9mm to .308 (inside 100 yards) and I have had no damaged targets. Worst thing is you get a direct hit on one of the bolts, but they take a lot of hits, even direct, to require replacement- I have yet to replace any in thousands of rounds.

I have bought some knockdown targets from Magnumtargets. The targets were inexpensive and the lighter gauge ones used for handguns have been great on my plate racks- I have however damaged the rifle ones at ranges that the JC Steel ones had no trouble. Not enough damage to make them inoperable by any means, but pockmarks.

Something else to check out is Hang Fast targets, which also fix to a Tpost and give a really satisfying CLANG when you hit them. Fairly inexpensive as well. They have some little attachment they hang on that lets them make a lot of noise, but they don't swing around for long, so you can still practice doubles and whatnot.

There are a ton of makers out there, but mostly I build "plate racks" out of 4x4s and use a lot of the JCSteel T post hangers and Hangfast hangers. Tposts are cheap, hold up well to a good number of hits, and are very easy to install.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.