[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cavalry, the horsey kind.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
In the American Civil War and after. The Cavalry was fighting with firearms and maybe sabers. They also tended to function as dragoons.

In WW1. The British Cavalry was still fighting with lances as their primary weapon.

Why were the British Cavalry behind the curve? They had even better repeating arms and knowledge of what machine guns and bolt action rifles did.
>>
>>28379849

Fighting with guns?!!!

We are cavalry, not the bloody yeomanry, plebs...
>>
>>28379849

Even though the world at large sent military observers, none of the lessons learned towards the end were taken to heart, even when we started to see trench warfare like at Petersburg.

The main takeaway for the Prussians was the use of railroads, the bongs just gave the rebels a bunch of guns in exchange for cotton, and France didn't really care.

At the outbreak of WW1, French, German, and UK cav alike still used swords and lances, but also had mounted infantry with carbines, which your Lancers, Cuirassier, and Uhlan regiments all adopted when they realized machine guns were a thing.
>>
>>28379964
The Bongs should have known better since the Boer Wars were not that long ago.

The British should have know perfectly well what WW1 was going to be like.
>>
>>28379964
>>28379977
The sad thing is that trench warfare had already become incredibly common by 1900 and that the Great War was just the same thing played over on a larger scale and with bigger guns. Everybody knew what would happen. They just didn't want to say it.
>>
File: 1446619109223.jpg (35 KB, 356x437) Image search: [Google]
1446619109223.jpg
35 KB, 356x437
>>28380000
Nice quint
>>
File: Jeb_Stuart_xxx_Geo_large[1].jpg (102 KB, 359x451) Image search: [Google]
Jeb_Stuart_xxx_Geo_large[1].jpg
102 KB, 359x451
The English didn't have the facial hair required for good cavalry.
>>
>In WW1. The British Cavalry was still fighting with lances as their primary weapon.

And your source on that is what?
>>
>>28379849
>In the American Civil War and after. The Cavalry was fighting with firearms and maybe sabers. They also tended to function as dragoons.
>This post.
M8. The American Cavalry is the one behind the curve for much of the 19th Century.

For starters: it was only an all dragoon force. Mounted Infantrymen on horses with no fixed standard who can dismount and fight on foot.

This is due to practical reasons as America is pretty much very wild terrain in its early years.

It didn't hold a candle to European Cavalry, which is divided into light, heavy, and dragoons. Lancers belonged in light cavalry along with the Hussars.

While American cavalry is can fight as infantry: it was purely and essentially a light cavalry force. It can't into shock roles like European cavalry as they lacked heavy cavalry regiments to do this. Nor as swift as light cavalry because Dragoons have very wide standards for horses. Some dumb plow horse can serve alongside a nag for instance while in European cavalry, heavier horse breeds were in Heavy cavalry while swifter ones served in dragoons and hussars.
>>
>>28379849
>In WW1. The British Cavalry was still fighting with lances as their primary weapon.

not entirely accurate for starters, all cavalry troopers were armed with a SMLE and trained to act as dragoons primarily, they also carried a lance (in lancer regiments) or a pattern 1908 sword for use in a charge should the situation favour a charge, they carried them thus rather like infantry carry the bayonet, not as the main tool of fighting, but if you needed it you really needed it. Its worth mentioning that a cavalry regiment also in 1914 also had 2 vickers guns and all troops carried entenching tools.

>>28379977
they did know better, although the boer war and ww1 are not much alike.

>>28380000
not entirely accurate either, previously trenches had been a feature only when one side was defending a fortified objective, a feature of sieges not of warfare in general the franco prussian war of 1870 for example consisted of field enounters mixed with sieges

the early stages of ww1 consisted of armies maneuvering for advantage and engaging in open field battles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Frontiers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_Sea
>>
>>28380045
>quads
>>
>>28380299
Source: his anus.

British cavalry hoped for a breakthrough but did excellent service as dragoons, scouts and patrollers.
>>
File: 9_lancers[1].jpg (67 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
9_lancers[1].jpg
67 KB, 500x376
>>28380558
>>
>>28380713
that shows cavalry did carry lances, it doesnt show that they used them as primary weapons, no source of that time period would
>>
>>28380269
>cavalry
>antying else but a neat moustashe

fucking colonials
>>
>>28379849

The forces fighting each other during the American Civil War were nearly identical in terms of doctrine and military theory. The leadership of the Confederate Army was mostly composed of former US Army officers who resigned their commissions and returned to their home states.

During the period of the Civil War cavalry were often used to find and fix the enemy force in place in order for the infantry to advance and finish them.

The cavalry were primarily used to conduct reconnaissance of the area and enemy forces, screen the advance of the infantry, act as skirmishers to fix enemy infantry forces in place, conduct feints and demonstrations against enemy forces in order to disrupt and thin their lines, and finally conduct envelopment or cut off the retreat of enemy forces.

Because the key to the majority of these operations was speed the armament and equipment of the US and Confederate cavalry force was much lighter then their European counterparts. The saber was a universal weapon however the cavalry were among the first units to equip themselves with cartridge firing carbines to increase their rate of fire on the battlefield.
>>
>>28379849
No they where not. Sometimes they where held in reserve as mobile infantry to reinforce success on the attack, they where also quite successfully used for reconnaissance, the rest of the time they fought as infantry. Read a fucking book on WW1 before you repeat this fucking brits so stupid nonsense.
>>
>>28380713
I see a pair of cavalry scouts doing their thing, not the fucking massed lance charge you are claiming.
>>
>>28382533
I know individuals in the polish cavalry in WW2 had the option of carrying lances and some individuals did.

And Polish horsemen attacking German tanks was a myth, that never happened.
>>
>>28379849

*War of Northern Aggression

But different doctrines. Yankees used horses because they were too cowardly to fight on foot.
>>
>>28382580
>smells like implications.
>>
>>28382555
Actually Polish calvalry did engage German armor in WWII, they dismounted at a crossroads and dug in to repell an expected infantry attack. Unfortunately the Germans hadn't sent infantry, they had sent a group of light tanks; a situation for which the Hussars were totally unprepared.
>>
File: God.jpg (33 KB, 570x312) Image search: [Google]
God.jpg
33 KB, 570x312
>Officers going to Office
>Soldiers gonna soldie
>We're all going to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFoqtpUFY8

>16 years old when I went to the war,
>To fight for a land fit for heroes,
>God on my side, and a gun in my hand,
>Chasing my days down to zero,
>And I marched and I fought and I bled and I died,
>And I never did get any older,
>But I knew at the time that a year in the line,
>Is a long enough life for a soldier,
>We all volunteered, and we wrote down our names,
>And we added two years to our ages,
>Eager for life and ahead of the game,
>Ready for history's pages,
>And we brawled and we fought and we whored 'til we stood,
>Ten thousand shoulder to shoulder,
>A thirst for the Hun, we were food for the gun,
>And that's what you are when you're soldiers,

>I heard my friend cry, and he sank to his knees,
>Coughing blood as he screamed for his mother,
>And I fell by his side, and that's how we died,
>Clinging like kids to each other,
>And I lay in the mud and the guts and the blood,
>And I wept as his body grew colder,
>And I called for my mother and she never came,
>Though it wasn't my fault and I wasn't to blame,
>The day not half over and ten thousand slain,
>And now there's nobody remembers our names,
>And that's how it is for a soldier.
>>
>cavalry
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.