[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does nobody wear soft armor anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 22
File: AR500.jpg (331 KB, 648x734) Image search: [Google]
AR500.jpg
331 KB, 648x734
I've noticed a decided lack of soft armor being worn by people in the "tactical" crowd. Most of what I see is plate carriers, often without side protection. Is this really the best way to protect ones self?

The way I see it, most of what you're going to be seeing in terms of active shooters and things like that are pistols and shotguns, which level IIIA soft armor will stop (with the exception of slugs) with little to no issue, while having (often) better coverage and being more easily concealable than a plate carrier.

Now, before people go all sperglord and call me a pussy for not EXERCIZING MUH RIGHTS and walking around in public with my plate carrier on. Think about this for a second. If someone sees what is obviously body armor on your chest, if they decide to shoot up the place, it would stand to reason that the guy wearing body armor probably has a gun, so they're gonna try to shoot you first, and also, provided they have more than two brain cells to rub together, they're gonna try to shoot you in the face.

Whereas if you have soft armor on under your clothing (I wear baggy pullover hoodies on the regular) and you have your carry pistol likewise concealed, you just look like some dude, so the odds are that you aren't going to be a higher priority than anybody else, and if they do try to shoot you, they're going to try to shoot you in the chest. Now, the obvious drawback is that if they have a rifle, your armor isn't going to do shit. But I'd argue that if there's going to be rifles involved, there's going to be multiple guys with rifles involved, and possibly even explosives, and in that situation you're pretty much fucked no matter what.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
>>
Because high speed low drag is chic at the moment.

You're never going to use it so why get a large vest?
>>
>>28376558
most the people buying plate carriers do it either because:
1. they want to play operator
2. SHTF scenarios, see 1.
3. they are in the service, our issued shit blows

no functioning human is walking around town with a plate carrier.If you want to wear soft armor, that is on you. i personally think its not necessary. but i also don't wear baggy clothes because i like to dress well.
>>
Go hard or go home
>>
Post is tl;dr

Arent most vests a combination of level III or IIIa soft armor, and level IV plates in the front and back for rifle rounds?
>>
>>28376595
>but i also don't wear baggy clothes because i like to dress well

translation

>i bought all this faggy polo and dockers shit for "proper civilian attire" to please my autistic lifer 1sgt and i'll be damned if i don't at least pretend to like it
>>
>>28376623
>willingly dressing like fucking garbage when you go out
Retarded E-1 detected. Let me guess, you still think a high and tight is cool don't you?

>>28376558
Jesus sperg ferguson, nobody is walking around with a plate carrier all the time in fear of an active shooter. Hell if you're walking around all the time with soft armor on, that's not much less retarded.

People have plate carriers for fun/dress up, because they like blowing money, for prepping, or maybe for home defense.
>>
>>28376595
I didn't say it would work for everybody. That's just what I wear, and since it's cold where I live, so do most other people. I have the opportunity to wear soft armor under my clothes on a daily basis and not look out of place, so not taking that opportunity doesn't seem very wise to me.
>>
>>28376702
You're going to look out of place when you eventually take off your jacket OP. Also what do you think you're really gaining by wearing soft armor all the time?
>>
>>28376623
no, i just wear clothes that properly fit me because i am not a fucking child.

I also don't own a single polo or dockers, dockers are a shit brand, and if it has a collar is should be a button up, like an oxford. I don't wear baggy t-shirts because i'm not a fat fuck trying to hide my rolls.

it's like you don't even /fa/
>>
>>28376595
Even in a SHTF scenario, a plate carrier will draw attention. I don't know about you, but to me, as a civilian, not looking like a high priority target at all times seems to be a bit more beneficial to my safety than being able to take a rifle round to the chest. Furthermore, if I know that guys with rifles are coming to get me, showing off my operator skills to nobody in an ill-fated last stand isn't exactly my first priority, so long as I'm able, I'm just going to GTFO.
>>
>>28376558
w2c vest?
>>
>>28376558
If you've ever worn it, soft armor is constricting, and gets hot as hell. plates do the same, but they tend to do slightly better due to all the HSLD gear on the market now. A Crye JPC takes up the area of a textbook on your front and back plus the shoulder straps.
>>
>>28376778
hence why i said
>SHTF scenario, see 1.
i wasn't endorsing it
plate carriers have pros and cons in a hypothetical SHTF scenario, usually i think the pros do not out-weigh the cons, but that is for another thread.
>>
>>28376618

There's no such thing as level III soft armor, that's getting into hard plates. And no, aside from some military bady armor, most plate carriers are just nylon tactical vests with specialized "pockets" for hard plates. Many offer no side protection either.
>>
>>28376778
>Even in a SHTF scenario, a plate carrier will draw attention.
It depends on your actions. If you barricade in your house body armor could be useful. If you join ad hoc militia too.
>>
File: tactical vest modular armor.jpg (231 KB, 997x1500) Image search: [Google]
tactical vest modular armor.jpg
231 KB, 997x1500
>>28376558
the modern "tactical" fags are all about the "high speed - low drag". As in: minimal bloat on your body, yet maximal protection to the most vulnerable parts.

Most units in the military and police forces still use tactical vests that incorporate 360 soft armor and pockets for the hard plates. Personally, I'd much rather wear one in SHTF / firefight. More coverage and protection is good.
>>
Have fun sweating your ass off with that combo.

Personally when wearing my plate carrier when shopping for groceries I like to use the extra pouches to hold tangerines.

Tactical citrus at your service
>>
>>28376558
Does anyone know what kind of holster that is? I need something like that since no one makes a holster for my CCW gun for OC operator make-believe
>>
>>28377380

Thats because the vast majority of casualties against modern armies are caused by fragments from artillery and other explosives. This is why flak vests were issued and worn in Vietnam. They wouldn't stop a bullet, but they protected against the most common threat, fragments.

We see special forces in America at least shunning the IOTV style vest for minimal plate carriers, we even see them forgoing helmets for ball caps or bump only protective helmets. Why? These men are not generally going to be digging positions or holding a line. They dont fear enemy mortars or artillery as much and thus give up the soft armor.

The people on /k/ figure that in the event of the HAPPENING artillery will not come to bear, and the most likely threat will be rifles and other firearms. Thus they want the lightest package that will still stop a rifle round.
>>
File: helmet stopped 7.62x39.jpg (1 MB, 2336x3504) Image search: [Google]
helmet stopped 7.62x39.jpg
1 MB, 2336x3504
>>28377464
All true, but I'm still not a fan of the thought of random stray frag or even a bullet ricocheting into my gut or neck, and ending my day right there.

While it's true that the current soft-armor and helmets aren't designed to stop rifle rounds, they still occasionally do. There's even records from as far back as the Korean War, where those earliest 1950's style flakvests had managed to save a private's life from a whole burst of PPSH fire. Had a photo and all, guy only got some nasty bruising on his tummy.

Personally I'd increase my chances even that one percent and wear a combo armor + helmet in a conflict situation. The modern vests and helmets are starting to be so light (compared to the 80s and 90s stuff), that there's not much reason to use non-ballistic protective alternatives.
>>
Soft armor for daily wear sounds difficult because of heat. If you drink enough water should be fine.
I been considering trying to find some soft armor that might not look too bulky could fit under a sweater or button up flannel, if I had some spare cash. The biggest problem seems like the stuff is very vulnerable to getting wet so sweating too much would wear it out really fast. That and I hear usually they are only good for about a year to begin with.
Like personally I don't care what people think about wearing armor it sounds paranoid or whatever but something concealable that might stop rounds or give a layer if someone tries to stab you doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me but I've seen a lot of fights happen so it doesn't really sound that paranoid to me.
>>
>>28376558
I think we as Americans are just scared right now.

Some americans are scared of what might happen, so they want to flex their rights to feel comfortable while being prepared for the worst. This isn't bad, but the show of force at times gives off a sense of uneasiness to others.

Some americans are scared because they've been sheltered from the rest of the world and want to get rid of anything that might make their sheltered world uncomfortable to live in, even at the extent of giving up their rights to do it.

And some are just scared because nothing seems to be getting better. The media frightens them, society is becoming diverse and more militant, and others want to keep making rules limiting their personal freedoms in order to make a small group happy.

That's what I think. And that's why I don't wear a plate carrier or soft body armor out in public. Because I'm going to look like a scared American pushed into thinking I need to be armed to the teeth, which will scare a bubble baby into calling for more rights to be taken away, so the rest of the scared americans can feel like they need to pick a side.

My question is when can we stop scaring ourselves and at least get back to a level of normalcy again?
>>
>>28377578
>>28377607

I'm all for Donald, but there's no way he can fix everything, or even half of everything. We have a FED system that's useless beyond inflating currency to a new level of hell. Congress is bought and paid for, so unless there's thousands of people holding their hand on what to do, they'll sail you down the river. The Judicial system is just fucked. They make their own rules now. We can't get the economy back on track until we cut taxes and when we cut taxes we can't pay back debt of the FUCKING LIBERALS - who are minorities and the cucked. This stuff isn't even debatable. It's facts and the only way to resolve them is going to take fucking years with everyone going poor or somehow getting rid of half the nation.
>>
>>28377485
>tummy
Are you a woman or just a 7 year old?
>>
>>28377647
neither. Just don't see the term any less valid or mature than spelling S-T-O-M-A-C-H.
>>
>>28376832
>no such thing as level III soft armor

Oh my god you're goddamn stupid. Try googling "level III vest" and see what turns up. HOLY SHIT, LIKE 1200 DIFFERENT MODELS OF SOFT ARMOR VESTS WITHOUT PLATES.
>>
>>28377578

This guy here made a thoughtful post with reasonable arguments and was able to delve into coherent self-reflection of how he might make his concrete part to mend a broken nation.

>>28377607

This "man" here spouted out hate speech in short major sentences reflecting his limited cognitive capabilities and used terms like "marxist" he has absolutely no grasp of and only learned to parrot in his echo chamber of like-minded fear-mongers. His answer is sheer racial violence and political purges.

Which one would you trust to guard your family and community with weapons?
>>
>>28376569
But bulk from plate carriers makes you slower and increases drag
>>
>>28376767

As a fat as hell anon that still likes to look good, shut the fuck up. Loose clothing on big guys and girls only emphasizes the chub...the best way to dress a fat guy is to get him/her properly fitted clothes...too tight and you look like a sausage, too loose and you scream "I'm a whale!" to everyone in the room

Thats one of the reasons so few big people look good. You have to worry about both sides...not just the one. You pretentious moron.

On-topic: plate carriers and vests scream out for attention in just about every situation. they are not a good idea for about 99.9 percent of life's activities. Soft armor in between the plates just adds to the problems...weight, comfort, etc.
>>
>>28377641
>complains that congress is paid for
>wants a billionare stooge as a president
Kek
>>
File: Motorcycle-Jacket.jpg (574 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Motorcycle-Jacket.jpg
574 KB, 1000x1000
If you really wanted to do this, modify a motorcycle jacket like >pic related so you don't have to bother hiding it.

You could just sew one side of the front section of the vest into the jacket, then have some velcro loops to attach it to the other side once you put it on, then zip it up over that front piece.

Don't worry about the back, because they have foam inserts pretty much identical to that in those jackets.

Y- you *can* sew, right anon?
>>
>>28377607

Get the fuck out of my board asshole. The Trump bandwagon has truly showed its true teeth. It's here for nothing but to drown reasonable discussion into violent hate spam advocating a civil war if their Fuhrer isn't elected. If we let these fucks ruin our precious board with their asinine garbage, we'll lose yet another platform of discussion and the silent and peaceful majority will once again be submitted by a violent minority. And that's what America has always fought against.
>>
>>28376558
The last 30 active shooters have been 'salt rifles dude good luck with your little soft armor lol
>>
>>28377713
>Opposes the Trump
>Looks for Alternative
>Is none
Top Level Kek
>>
>>28377729
>my board
>drown "reasonable" discussion
>talks as if conflict isn't inevitable
>America's always fought against violent minority

Dude. Where are you from?
>>
>>28377773
>>28377794

To create a sense of crisis, panic, hopelessness, choicelessness with end-of-times visions and then offering a strong leader to fix all the shit magically by the people giving him free hands to purge the Jews and other bad guys (but particularly the Jews), because there just aren't any non-violent solutions left is the hallmark tradition of maskirovka and facism.
>>
>>28377729
>my board
>thin skinned to anyone with a different opinion
you truly are a piece of shit that needs to stay in reddit
>>
>>28377827

That's not an opinion you're offering, it's a genocide.
>>
>>28377810
Okay. I want to help you because obviously you're having a moment. A failure in logic. If and When you want any statistical evidence, just let me know.

No one's creating a sense of crisis. Economically, crisis is already here. Debt higher than anyone else by at least a factor of 10. Liberal/Leftist in United States pushing for more spending, completely unsustainable. China's markets failing. Europe encased in debt. Australia encased in debt. Only countries not under mountains of debt are countries with credit rating too poor to achieve mountains of debt.

Already said Trump can't fix it, but there is literally no other viable candidate. If so, who? Clinton? Sanders? Both are fucking jokes. Paul? Would literally be the civil war candidate.

I never said anything about Jews. To fix the problem, you wouldn't have to target anyone. You stick to and restore the constitution but that won't happen by historical record. Instead, give people free shit until tax too high for anyone to support it, the economic crisis. Look at Detroit. Went Bankrupt, crime and violence soared.

What you're preaching is appeasement and self-destruction. You're far worse than anyone else. You have no plan. Your plan is to let other people figure it out and bitch.
>>
>>28377827

I'm all pro-gunz and pro-muh libruties, but I'd rather take a Reddit/tumblr hugbox America over your splintered ruins run by random civil militias trusting no-one outside their mouth-breathing lot of Salem witch hunters.
>>
File: 1445018419900.png (836 KB, 967x1735) Image search: [Google]
1445018419900.png
836 KB, 967x1735
>>28376569
Why settle for just a vest? Step up and go all in.
>>
>>28377879
Democrats have run Chicago for the last 30 years. Its bankrupt, full of laws that overstep the bill of rights, full of drugs and criminals, one of the main sources of crime in America, and the city is falling apart.

Want another Democrat-run city for proof that the shit is not working?

Baltimore, Detroit, even Wilmington, DE - the little state that couldn't - murder capital of the world.

Congrats on your progressive way of life.
>>
>>28377701
Or you could try not being fat kek
>>
>>28377873

My aim is the same as yours but is not attained by forceful military apparatus, but a federal state that won't let the local communities to the mercy of investment bankers and a minority elite hiding in their armed closed communities. Call me a leftist faggot for voting Sanders, he does not offer easy, magical and perfect solutions for complex problems, but at least he doesn't want the US to get involved in costly campaigns overseas, but wants to address the problems at home peacefully and constructively and not putting the blame on minorities.

Weak people call for strong leaders.

Europe is strong enough to take care of itself. They voted down the gun ban directive and they work to keep their borders in control and still they have a constructive approach to the migrant influx.

I won't advocate running over the constitution because it is the foundation of America, but it's read too much like the Bible nowadays. A holy scripture written in an ancient and a different time in a different context, but some people refer to it as their only answer to everything. The 2nd amendment is all good, but problems we are facing are not fought with weapons.

>>28377948

New York, Vermont, Washington and Oregon are run by Democrats, the entire South is Republican. Go figure.
>>
>>28377701
>As a fat as hell anon that still likes to look good

>Fat as hell
>Looks good

Got some news for you porky
>>
>>28377991
Articulated well but still completely illogical.

No one sane is actually advocating warfare in the United States, nor do I believe that it will be an apocalyptic scenario, but it seems all to inevitable. Kind of the whole purpose behind this board is being prepared for SHTF scenarios, small and large scale.

As for voting for Sanders, I don't understand how you don't see that as a problem. He is literally pushing the exact policies that have led to this economic problem. Economics is what is ingrained into America. It's the reason for our separation, the reason for the civil war, and now it is the reason for our societal problems. Trump isn't advocated so much because of his personality. He's chosen and raising in polls consistently and continuous because he has a strong financial background. As for minorities, 50 million illegal immigrants from south of the boarder are absolutely a huge problem. They cost the US tens of billions of dollars a year. Just like you said Europe will have to rely on Europe, Mexico needs to rely on Mexico. Europe's immigration problem isn't be handled. Statistically, it's a runaway event economically and criminally.

This is why the Bill of Rights specifically is vastly more important. The government isn't efficient. It's solution to unemployment is reclassification of unemployment and inviting more people into the public sector, which is completely ran on by tax dollars. There wasn't a need for more public sector jobs and it's already too much of a burden. Because of all of this, people are going to become desperate and hungry. Because of the lefts instant gratification mentality, they have assured violence.
>>
>>28377423
this
>>
>>28377485
>light armor
yeah its getting lighter, but it still constricts mobility.
>>
No reason to wear military soft armor vests unless you have a shrapnel threat.
>>
>>28377773
rand mother fuck paul
>>
>>28376558
soft body armor is for fags
>>
File: Marine combat diaper.jpg (32 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Marine combat diaper.jpg
32 KB, 640x426
>>28377906
you forgot the Kevlar combat diaper.
contrary to the name, it is not actually designed to be used as a diaper....
>>
File: 1450706409288.jpg (35 KB, 575x474) Image search: [Google]
1450706409288.jpg
35 KB, 575x474
>>28377485
Did he get a stummy ache?
>>
>>28377729
>It's here for nothing but to drown reasonable discussion into violent hate spam advocating a civil war if their Fuhrer isn't elected

it's coming if you like trump or not, whether trump is elected or not.
>>
>>28377728
This is a really good idea.

How about adding plates to it, unnoticed? Doable?
>>
>>28378998
THIS MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT HERE.

RAND PAUL, why do the Pauls get shut out of serious discussion, even though they are popular with those that hear their ideas?

I would like a gov't that is not heavy handed and doesn't want to be involved in the world's every little problem. Also, FLAT TAX.

FLAT TAX. Google it.
>>
>>28380769
I like my dick & balls where they are, so I'd still wear it.
>>
bamp
>>
>>28377728
>>28381728
bumping this
>>
>>28377701
p>>28381758
Flat tax is retarded because it doesn't provide enough revenue or it hurts the middle class and poor to pay for things. It isn't even the main cause of wasted time in filing taxes.
>>
>>28377701
>fat as hell
>likes to look good

You don't
>>
I'm >>28377728 - wasn't gonna respond, didn't think you'd see it, but since you bumped...

The thickness of the back panel looks about the same as the the two panels in OP. On my two jackets, they just insert into a mesh pouch closed by velcro. You could do a straight replacement for the back one no problems.

In pic related, you have the top-centre foam bit, which is the back panel, then from top-to bottom the inserts for the shoulders, forearms, and the bottom two are front panels (I assume), but none of my jackets have had this. It looks more like something from an offroad/dirtbike jacket.

Now the jackets like I originally posted are bulky as fuck. You could add an additional front and back section no problems, it would look pretty much the same. You might be able to slip the back armour into the existing pouch with the normal foam, or you could do a straight replacement.

1/2 - I'll do a quick diagram for the front
>>
>>28377906

Half brilliant, half retarded.

The facemask is worse than useless, and actually redundant. Forearm and shin protectors are also pointless as they offer little protection for a marked increase in weight.

The Romans concluded that 50 pounds was the limit of what a man could comfortably fight in. I think a similar limit should be implemented for U.S. soldiers.
>>
>>28377607
lol what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
File: playingmynumbers.gif (151 KB, 1000x320) Image search: [Google]
playingmynumbers.gif
151 KB, 1000x320
>>28376558

>odds are

Fucking gun owners are literally worse than SJWs sometimes. Your odds of dying by a gun even including SHOOTING YOURSELF, are .000001%, by an "active shooter" the odds are so low I can't be bothered to type out the zeros you'd need to add to that decimal. Lay off the bacon and wear your seat belt if you're so concerned about eking out a few extra years of life in your mother's basement.
>>
File: front bit.jpg (237 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
front bit.jpg
237 KB, 800x1200
>>28384900
>>28385058
Here's a shitty diagram for a front panel to insert the soft armour, so it'd attach at your sides, or wherever you want.

Note: there are other zips and stuff inside these jackets, where rainwater and thermal layers can attach, so there might be a better way of doing this.

>might
Okay, there's definitely a better way. But it was just an idea I was throwing out there.
>>
>>28376896
This. I've always figured in a SHTF scenario I would stay where I'm at, heading for the woods is gonna get you killed.
>>
>>28385058
Could we have soft and hard armor in a biker jacket that looks like a, bulky, regular biker's jacket?

Some ar500 if not ceramics, and that'd make the whole thing survive longer too.

Just make sure yup got full body, neck, head, armpits, protection from the mad bullet shrapnel that the ar500 will be throwing if you get hit.

Would have to be fullbody soft armor, with sections of ar50. But you'd be stab proof, somewhat sturdier to strikes of and melee and definitely bullet proof.

Fuck year.
>>
>>28385073
Imma bit bigger den some guido squab, I think I can truck the 10 lbs.
>>
>>28385168
/r/ing /fa/gs to make cents of this pic
>pic related
>>
>>28377380
>>28377464
because i probably wont have to worry about fragmentation in a SHTF scenario, if i did wear armor id rather have just a plate carrier because mobility is important.

>>28377485
the type of armor used is also dependent on terrain, i know my unit has had to do jungle training because the mureens cut of combat deployments. In the jungle we rarely wear body armor because mobility and using cover/concealment is more important.

in open fields, deserts, etc. like in iraq and afgahnyland that isn't as much of an option.

so as faggy as the statement is: situation dictates.
>>
>>28385403
a shitty looks jacket for autist, i assume it can hold plates? looks gay as fuck though, why would anyone ever wear this?
>>
>>28376558
Anyone have sauce on the holster in OP's pic?
>>
>>28385536
I have no idea HOW it holds plates though. It is really badly explained.
>>
>>28377578
There has never been normalcy; it's just bias because you weren't there. The 80s was huge with preppers (then called survivalists or militias), warning of the coming war with Russia, and huge violent crime/gang problems.

I shit you not I remember flipping through channels one Sunday morning and saw clips from Red Dawn playing. And then it cuts back to a televangelist who explains the new titanium armor on Russia's helicopters will be able to withstand a RPG and you need to be prepared to fight against these "armored locusts" as they are described in the bible blah blah blah.

You are right about it, there are three groups of people: People who want liberty/personal responsibility over security, people who want security at the cost of liberty, and people who want to be part of an aristocracy. Or more simply: people who fear government encroachment, people who welcome government encroachment and people who want to be in the government.

There will always be tension between those groups and that tension manifests itself as the whatever flavor of the week (gangs, terrorism, immigration) is popular at the moment.
>>
>>28385576
dleading qumd
>>
>>28385073
I fight fires with 70+ pounds on me. I figure the military could manage something similar.
>>
>>28385168
I thought you were plating a kilt for a second.
>>
>>28385058
>>28385168
>>28385296
Any sort of steel wouldn't work I think. Would be too heavy and really show on the jacket that there's extra weight.
And the plates would most likely need a special contour to not look too rigid if we do go for actual plates.

You make a pocket on the inside of the jacket for the plates, both in the back and the front. The biker's jackets sort of already have these. Sides have to be left alone to fit.
The jacket in the second post shows a front seam off to the side so you can actually fit a whole plate in without having a gap right down the middle. I really don't like the one pictured but it does get the idea across.

Besides that, it's just a standard padded jacket with Kevlar instead of foam or other padding. And maybe a bit extra padding too.

I haven't really looked much but I believe it's not difficult to get a bunch of Kevlar, it's somewhat common for tires and hand bags at least. Then you need someone who really knows how to sew.
>>
>>28386864
Me too.
>combat kilts are probably a thing already
>>
>>28381758
because paul's a faggot who attacked Trump?
>>
>>28386921
:l
>>
>>28386228
When you add up the Kevlar (helmet) plate carrier, sapi plates, side sapis, Kevlar diaper (for ieds) ammo, rifle, etc. It's usually around that weight, and that's if you aren't carrying a m240.

And we patrol in that for hours.
>>
>>28386939
8===D
>>
>>28377423
I like wearing mine under a trench coat to the theatre.

Rifle pouches hold 16 oz soda bottles, or tallboy beer cans. Pistol pouches are great for snickers bars!
>>
>>28377681
Nothing he said is racist.

nigger =/= black person
>>
>hard armor and plate carrier for when I flex my autism
>want soft armor to help constant paranoia

Where can I get cheap soft armor?
>>
>>28387122
Ar500 if you are good at sewing.

Other places its $190 for a conceable vest.
>>
File: Zelenopole.jpg (552 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Zelenopole.jpg
552 KB, 1600x1200
>>28377464
>in the event of the HAPPENING artillery will not come to bear
Depends on type of happening.
>>
>>28386872
You can buy kevlar like any other fabric, just costs more, and you can't get it from your everyday sewing shop.

If the stitches aren't visible, you don't need to be super-good at sewing either.

Sewing machines have been semi-auto for decades now, even on cheap machines you generally just pick the type of stitch up top, then the length and tension on the side. The hardest thing is putting the bobbin in and getting it started.
>>
>>28386953
Light infantry regularly drop in with some guys humping 100 pounds of kit or more. Shit gets rough.
>>
>>28378051

LOL at this barely coherent gibberish.

>Kind of the whole purpose behind this board is being prepared for SHTF scenarios

Um, no.
>>
New Year's

B U M P
>>
>>28376558
Couldn't you get a plate carrier without all the molle mag attachments and wear it under a sweater or flannel shirt?
Maybe wear it under a button down shirt?
I am sure it would look meaty as fuck but most civies wouldn't look twice at a little extra bulk
>>
>>28377607
>And the niggers put back in their place
Whats with you guys thinking Donald Trump is going to put black people "in their place"
The guy is an advocate for all Americans. I mean fuck I support donald Trump but he really has gotten some of the strangest underlings backing him too
>>
>>28380769
We got them and never used them
>>
>>28377681
>this guy here made a thoughtful post with reasonable arguments

Get him!
>>
>>28388068
Yeah, I've sewn before. There's a lot more to it than just stitching for something like this.

Making it serviceable is somewhat easy, but your goal is to make it look good enough that /fa/ doesn't really question it which can be a bit tricky depending on the design alone.
On top of that you have a lot of added bulk and weight which will show any imperfections more clearly, especially regarding the fit if you add plates. Jackets aren't as tight as vests so you have to get it so that it naturally falls in line with the contours of your body which is something that has entire books written about it.

At the end of the day, you aren't going to wear the thing if it doesn't look good and is comfortable especially. Daily wear is a bit different than an adjustable plate carrier that doesn't need to care too much about outward appearance.
>>
>>28390402
We shouldn't forget that simply because of the nature of how fast body armor wears out (I know soft wears out in 5ish years, no idea on ceramics, and I'm sure ar500 lasts forever).

Thought, constant ans casual level III protection does sound appealing, especially if you're a refugee in some shit hole getting blotted by "arab Hell cannons." lolwtf arabia

I am all for the heavy duty, metal reinforced biker jacket armor, now how about the pants?

Is >>28386241 a possible route or was this made up candian magic?
>>
from talking to an SF dude who called his Crye AVS his "sports bra"

he felt that the plate-only and minimal cut let him fight better, and in the event of getting shot soft armour won't stop an AK round, he'd rather roll the dice and hope for a through and through
>>
>>28390909
Too heavy or constrictive with the hard sections everywhere - unless you get magic that we don't have access to. The only good idea that's rather common is to put any plates on the outside of the jacket. Saves the soft armor which won't stop a lot of stuff anyway.

And it is especially so when you get steel plates or anything like that. I doubt you'll want to wear the jacket all day if you put a ton of steel in it, which is the idea of it. If you realistically want hard body armor, you have to go for ceramic.

And the reason to make it out of Kevlar is to stop shrapnel. Might have missed that. Limited lifespan on the jacket for that ability.

And the lifetime of ceramics is pretty similar to soft body armor because they use and contain Kevlar. Some are a bit longer than soft armor, but not by that much when it comes down to it.
>>
>>28391737
I believe that a useful amount of steel is doable and at an advantageous weight. Keeping you body protected from the shrapnel of the defeated rounds that strike you is a challenge.

I am imagining a collar/gorget of soft armor or maybe even cleverly held in place steel strips. Your dang head that hangs out so much is the big issue, got protect you from you.
>>
>>28376682
A retard calling other retards retarded. Unfortunately, you volunteered to join the military, ultimate cuck.
>>
muh Dragonskin!
>>
>>28376832
No.
>>
>>28392645
Meant for
>>28377679
>>
>>28391858
I doubt people are going to wear a 40lb+ jacket on a daily basis. 15-20 is really pushing it I think and a single steel plate is like 12lbs. It has to be something that is easy to wear or it's pretty useless because it's not going to be worn.

You also have like no idea about what shrapnel actually is. Defeated rounds aren't shrapnel. They don't send little fragments of metal into you or really anywhere after striking any non-steel armor. And even with steel, the fragments are usually directed away from you anyway.

With shrapnel, we're mainly talking about explosions, ricochets, and debris thrown about. Take a look at >>28377380 That's sort of what we want, but with a lower profile. The only advantage is putting soft body armor where you otherwise wouldn't have it and hopefully in a package that isn't faggy.
>>
File: 6b45.jpg (118 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
6b45.jpg
118 KB, 1024x768
My 6b45 does. its nice to have so your plates dont have to catch handgun rounds or shrapnel. Its nice to have on the neck too so you dont have shrap in your neck.
>>
File: 2015-11-01 15.29.11.jpg (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-01 15.29.11.jpg
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>28394073
Hah, here is my old 6b5 :D

Full of titanium plates.
>>
File: Soviet bodyarmor 6B5.jpg (178 KB, 600x1675) Image search: [Google]
Soviet bodyarmor 6B5.jpg
178 KB, 600x1675
>>28394143
What's the thickness of the titanium plates and the quality?

Also why does your vest only have place for 3 mags instead of 4?
>>
File: IMG_20160101_200834_795.jpg (549 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160101_200834_795.jpg
549 KB, 1840x3264
>>28394735
Got you anon. Here's a set I ordered a few years ago. I was going to up the protection on the soft armor only areas of my vest.
>>
>>28395233
Those plates seems to be rather thin, are those the plates on your back or on the front of the vest?
>>
>>28395368
Bought just the plates they are only about 1mm thick each. Ended up not being a retard and building my mad max juggernaut armor and moved on. I managed to get a set of ceramic plates on the slide and I put them in a shellback. I honestly think they were not designed to stop rifle fire.
>>
>>28388107
More like heavy infantry, am I right?
>>
>>28395572
Mil has been looking into built up layers of titanium with interlaced ceramic layers for a bit I think. They're pricey as hell but could provide some serious armor resistance.

They use the beta-Ti's like Ti-10-2-3 or Ti-5-5-5-3 I believe. With those thin sections you could get ~220ksi strength with some toughness and have the benefits of the ceramic layers as well.
>>
>>28380769
How are you going to rape with this on?
>>
>>28395874
If this stuff turns out not to be made entirely of smoke and bullshit it will make all other modern armor obsolete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrT_EhITfTg
http://www.bourqueindustriesinc.com/#!home/c3tw
>>
File: US ballistic standards.jpg (308 KB, 1341x941) Image search: [Google]
US ballistic standards.jpg
308 KB, 1341x941
>>28396199
>cermaic gets shot by mosin nagant 2 times
>special plate gets hit by 5.56 3 times
Really?
>>
>>28376778
>high priority target

If I was going to rob someone, I would go for the weakest looking individual, not the group with body armor and high-powered rifles.
>>
What happened to Dragonscale?
>>
File: Dragon skin.jpg (1 MB, 2680x4876) Image search: [Google]
Dragon skin.jpg
1 MB, 2680x4876
>>28396510
Alot of things.

It also might not be that great as people say.
>>
>>28396539

Thanks

Awhile back I heard something about a high end colombian designer making stylish suits and shit that were bullet.. uh... resistant.. For like 10k/suit. That would be interesting if it takes off
>>
>>28388107
yeah, I'm this anon >>28386953
i never actually weighed myself in full kit but it wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>28396352
If it is M855 ball that is still pretty impressive, but yeah...it wasn't a very scientific/equal test.
>>
>>28396539

so was it all military/cia lies that brought the product down, or what?
>>
>>28396673
And the owner being too much a merchant.

>>28396560
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQM6zLiSn1E
This one?
>>
>>28395874
They are already doing similar with aluminum and ceramics.
>>
>>28396702

Looks like it.. I had heard about it on NPR I think. Thanks mane

Cool video.. amazing their variety of clients and designs... Wish I could invest in them.
>>
>>28396702

That dude should come out with armored backpacks for kids... big money.
>>
>>28397039

I wonder if textbooks would help the backpack armor rating
>>
>>28377906
Your info graphic is shit. Instead of those gimmickry face masks and shields Ops-Core and other people make up armor kits for helmets with rails to give them coverage similar to a motorcycle helmet. Its like you went to bulletproofme.com and ignored every other armor manufacturer out there like Hoplite or Crye Precisions shoulder plates.
>>
>>28396539
>It also might not be that great as people say.
Your thread sounds like bullshit. In post #4 OP says that Second Chance body armor is ok would be fine with going to Afghanistan in it. Which is kind of strange because Second Chance was caught delivering defective Interceptor vests to the military:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/832165
>>
>>28397206
>not american so I cant watch american freedom TV
Well shit, maybe he did not know that part.
>>
File: 1426505934240.jpg (177 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1426505934240.jpg
177 KB, 1024x1024
>>28397088
>bulletproofme.com
Anything wrong with that website? Since you seem to imply it.
>>
>>28397309
>Anything wrong with that website? Since you seem to imply it.
I said anon was a retard because he went to a single webstore and ignored everyone else who makes armor.

>>28397280
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3c26t8
>>
File: 1444681699226.png (464 KB, 667x750) Image search: [Google]
1444681699226.png
464 KB, 667x750
>>28397355
Ah okay.

Thanks
>>
>>28393586
>>28391858
>>28391737
>>28390909
>>28390402
>>28388068
>>28386872
>>28385296
>>28385168
>>28385058
>>28377728

You guys... Why are you making me do this?

Okay, first off, don't bother with hard plates unless you have some experience. You can make plate out of soft materials (dyneema works great for this) and then impregnate the layers with resin and do the usual curing under compression for that type of stuff. Really though going with soft panels is best.

You can totally make a pad out of the kevlar but please, seal that shit up afterward I don't want you anons getting hurt. Kevlar will degrade and denature (as will dyneema, it will break down into regular HDPE under high heat) so you want to A: keep it away from UV light and B: keep it dry and safe so make sure it's completely sealed up. Sewing it is pretty easy, treat it like canvas espcially with a lot of layers (you will need many to stop a bullet) and if you're unsure of how well it works just make a test panel. Take this panel and then put it in front of a block of clay, shoot it once, see how it works out. Don't mix calibers on a panel, especially if you're going with a hard armor route.

If you want you can try to weave in aramid fibers or put in a steel fiber mesh for stab protection (use only stainless by the way) but don't go overboard. Your armor needs freedom of movement to defeat rounds, it will not work as well if it's too rigid and does not have the bonding of a hard plate. You can also gradually thin out the layers as you armor your coat, don't worry about sewing through the kevlar fabric it'll still work fine as long as you don't go overboard.

If you want to add in hard plates somewhere, please, don't just start throwing in steel and calling it good. You can take a steel plate and roll it to lengthen the grain which adds durability, and then there's tons of possible spall lining materials you can choose from.

TL;DR: read above, don't forget to experiment to see if your design works.
>>
I'm >>28397374

Adding on to the steel: I've made a plate that can reliably defeat 7.62x39mm M67 until the plate itself starts to warp and deform. It's really thick though, but most of the construction is a combination of kevlar, denim, a carbon fiber mesh impregnated with resin and applied to the back of a steel plate that has molybdenum, nickel and vanadium alloyed in (sorry anons I can't tell, ancient Chinese secret) with layers of kevlar disks treated with epoxy for backing. This plate is rather lightweight, I've tested it sparingly against multiple .308 loads and a couple 7.62x54R surplus and reloads, but the plate gets eaten up far quicker than I'd like with some small degree of penetration on occasion.

The plate is extremely thick, I must stress this, and it absolutely would not survive a single dedicated armor-piercing round and I feel no need to test this. So it is possible for a DIY almost level IV plate to be made.

In case you're wondering the significance of the denim fabric, it's actually for a custom resin of mine. Denim (in my experience) takes resin and other permeable materials and provides quite a nice base for the material as it cures, so it makes a good buffer layer between the hard armor and the soft armor. This layer seems to catch the jacket almost every time, even with the hottest .308 load. Unfortunately the energy transferred into the material does crack the steel.

While I haven't fully revealed all of my mad science secrets, I hope I've given you anons some insight into making your own armor. It's actually really fun if you reload, trying to come up with the baddest bullet and the strongest armor and pit them against each other.
>>
>>28397543
>Adding on to the steel: I've made a plate that can reliably defeat 7.62x39mm M67 until the plate itself starts to warp and deform. It's really thick though, but most of the construction is a combination of kevlar, denim, a carbon fiber mesh impregnated with resin and applied to the back of a steel plate that has molybdenum, nickel and vanadium alloyed in (sorry anons I can't tell, ancient Chinese secret) with layers of kevlar disks treated with epoxy for backing. This plate is rather lightweight, I've tested it sparingly against multiple .308 loads and a couple 7.62x54R surplus and reloads, but the plate gets eaten up far quicker than I'd like with some small degree of penetration on occasion.
Weapons dude is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j52kCBJqS4
>>
>>28397588
If only I was that young again...

Still his plate worked because the ceramic floor tile absorbed some of the energy by shattering, and then provided a medium to exert friction on the round. Smart kid but..

>vertical video

:(
>>
File: 1450241686130.jpg (73 KB, 688x789) Image search: [Google]
1450241686130.jpg
73 KB, 688x789
>>28397680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZseVon3nIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPsVVA1RsmY

He knows this shit rather good.

Do you have a pic of your homemade plate?
>>
>>28397718
No, I don't even own a camera actually! I suppose the day I get a cellphone (or more likely I build one) I'll obviously have a camera too.

Maybe then I'll take some pictures. Really though I encourage others to try and experiment on their own.
>>
>>28377873
>Paul? Would literally be the civil candidate
wat
>>
>>28385289
>>28376896
>>28376778
>>28376820
milfag here, I have plates at home but they are mostly for training/fucking around in. If SHTF though id wear the plates ever day, anytime I'm outside of whatever I feel my secure area is. I'm carrying an AR and having like 6 mags everywhere I go, because I have never heard anyone say "I wish I hadn't been wearing my plates at that time" or "damn I wish I had less ammo in that firefight"

I just feel like a set of plates is something I would actually wearif nutn ends up being right
>>
>>28397374
>>28397543
Ty based anon. I'm the fag that actually knows a bit about sewing. And your ancient chineese secret isn't that much of a secret. Not too many steels you'd use that also meet that criteria.

For the plates I was basically thinking of making pockets and buying commercial ones. Good level IV plates, and even some level III, require a lot of very specific work so it's probably easier to work around one that you already have than make a custom one. Of course it would only work for front and back plates most likely. Maybe not even too well.

The ceramic that's used is fairly special by itself and that's without getting into anything else. Getting light layer of ceramic that only shatters in small areas and still sufficiently disrupts any projectiles would take a lot of work that I can't really do. The Kevlar behind it would be easy enough I feel.

And because the jacket is made of Kevlar, we might be able to skip a bit on the backing relative to full plates.

>>28397588
>>28397718
The kid's looks too bulky and heavy for this stuff. Not to mention that it's always flat which can't really be done in this case. We want curved plates which means that more needs to be done than just sticking a bit of ceramic and Kevlar together.
>>
File: fiberglass.jpg (212 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
fiberglass.jpg
212 KB, 1500x1125
>>28397782
Have you considered the high-density fiberglass and polyester resin method?
https://youtu.be/oPvaDs-mibc
>>
>>28397970
And you have a good point about adding some sort of steel mesh or wire. Since it's going to be somewhat unspecific for it's purpose, it might as well protect against knives.
>>
>>28377873
What you seemingly fail to realize is that we are far faaaaar to gone for anything to 'fix' the situation. Las chance was with Ross Perot and even then it would have been an uphill battle. At this time we are just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. The elite haven't been building massive self sustaining underground bunkers for the hell of it.
>>
boasting in gud tread
>>
>>28397969
different milfag here, this one to be specific >>28376820

it is situation dependent.in a fallout style end of the world yeah, always wear your plates. But in a real world scenario there may be times you don't want to draw attention to yourself.
>>
>>28388572
>Couldn't you get a plate carrier without all the molle mag attachments

Yes, they are known as "Slick" plate carriers.

You can also just not attach shitall over your carrier.
>>
>>28397039
>armored backpacks
There are already such things, intended for detectives, etc.
>>
>>28400866
Or kids in future sandy hook
>>
>>28377991
>Vote for the socialist, he'll fix our economic problems!
>>
>>28381758
The Pauls are just a tad too capital-L Libertarian for most folks.

Personally, I think their foreign policy would be almost as bad for us as Obama's, for many of the same reasons--once we abandon our allies and largely disarm, we lose the free trade and commerce that has always been a cornerstone of our economic underpinning.
>>
>>28385591
Put more simply, people who want to be free, people who want to be controlled, and people who want to do the controlling.

The last category is huge, although most people wouldn't really admit it.
>>
>>28377991
>I won't advocate running over the constitution because it is the foundation of America, but it's read too much like the Bible nowadays.
Fuck out of here. You're not welcome.
>>
>>28377432
What pistol you have
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.