[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often do you fags clean your guns? After every shooting session,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1450808839385.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1450808839385.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
How often do you fags clean your guns? After every shooting session, or every other one?
>>
>>28362102
You're supposed to clean them?

I only shoot the low powered surplus 54r out of my Mosin, am I ok?
>>
>>28362102

Depends how much I shoot, the quality of the ammo shot, and the firearms purpose (ccw, range beater, safe queen).

Unless it is an expensive gun or my carry weapon/shtf gun, I typically don't clean them after casual shooting. The consensus from many gunsmiths who I have talked to is that, constant rigorous cleaning of firearms will degrade them more than just letting them sit after being shot a casual amount.
>>
>>28362141
Interesting, thanks for that anon. I have a .45, and when I go to the range I'll shoot like 100 rounds no problem. I'd imagine it's good to clean it after shooting that many rounds from a pistol?
>>
Clean them when dirty >= ocd and always before reliability becomes an issue
>>
>>28362137
Clean it. Surplus can be corrosive.
>>
If im shooting corrosive ammo (which is most of the ammo I shot) I will clean them within a few days of shooting. But if its non corrosive I usuallh juat swab the barrel once an give it some oil
>>
>>28362102
After every shooting session

It's like meditation
>>
>>28362236
Before shooting session, foreplay
>>
>>28362137

Assuming this is bait...but if not...yes - fucking clean that shit. The whole thing about windex is shit, just run some hot water through the bore and wipe down the bolt.
>>
>>28362102
Like a couple times a year, if that except for the corrosive shooters.
I hate cleaning guns, but sometimes I'm in a mood to do it and just pull a few apart that I haven't done in a while.
>>
File: 1429667948414.jpg (11 KB, 286x200) Image search: [Google]
1429667948414.jpg
11 KB, 286x200
>>28362102
I enjoy cleaning my guns more than shooting them, so often i will oil the weapons moving parts before shooting, then clean thoroughly and oil again after.

I like my raifu's insides so wet and slippery she moistens dry mag lips.
>>
Every day.

Keeps me occupied when I don't have anything else to do.
>>
>Blued
Wipe down after every shooting day

Other than that if I'm not going to be shooting for like a week I clean everything
>>
>>28362410
>leaving your guns slobbered in grease.
Yeah, no.
>>
>>28362102

I do quick clean after shooting, deeper clean if I shoot more through it. If it is my carry piece, I do a deeper clean after shooting.
>>
>>28362102

Thoroughly clean at the end of every range session.

Learned the hard way by not doing this in a humid environment. I had a vintage Model 70 Winchester go brown with rust overnight. :-(
>>
>>28362102

Depends on the ammo used.

I just shot a bunch of old non corrosive .22 out of my old bolt action .22

I cleaned it liberally because the powder was going south in that stuff.

My springfield with modern manufacture .30-06, clean it once or twice a year, give it a little oil after every trip.

10/22 gets attention when it starts giving me shit.
>>
>>28362137

It's too late, RIP comrade.
>>
i clean them after every trip to the range this thread is making me feel a bit better about not getting every speck of grime out of them though. i just swab the barrel and clean the firing pin/bolt usually.
>>
>>28362102
The general rule of thumb I keep now is every 500 rounds or so I'll clean out my stuff. I don't shoot corrosive in my AK so I really don't worry about it.
Before I really got into shooting I hadn't ever cleaned out my 10/22 after probably having it for over like 5 years and it started having reliability issues. All I did was clean the rifle and the magazine once and I was back in business.
>>
>>28362432
if you have a gas impinged ar its not a bad idea.
>>
>>28362102
depends ive shoot 1000 rounds out of my mini 14 and let it sit for 3 months shot a few hundred rounds out of i again and then cleaned it, my mosin i clean every time cause corrosive ammo. i got a ptr that i havent shot yet and a yugo mauser that ive shot and cleaned once and a .22 mag ive never cleaned ever but ive only put about 500 rounds through it and fuck it the damn thing cost me 175
>>
>>28362102
Immediately after using them. They all get cleaned, oiled to hell and stuck in a sock. Live in an extremely humid area though.
>>
I clean them
>after shooting
>when I'm drunk
>when I'm bored
>when i get new one i clean them all
>when i feel like it
>when i wanna take them down just because
I also have an sks i disassemble every day to relax
>>
Unless they're 5.45 or x54R, I usually don't clean them.

That's what I hate about corrosives, you HAVE to each time you shoot it, even if it's just a little.
>>
>corrsive
Yes, everytime
>non corrosive
Never
>>
>>28362141
>The consensus from many gunsmiths who I have talked to is that, constant rigorous cleaning of firearms will degrade them more than just letting them sit after being shot a casual amount.

This fully depends on how you clean. If you use a plastic bore brush on a plastic pull string and light solvent it will have no affect on weapon wear. People who excessively clean with metal bore rods are the ones wearing their crown and throat.

A dunk in a hot oil ultrasonic washer won't hurt anything besides wood either.
>>
>>28366877
And aluminum.
And to a far lesser degree, steel.
>>
Once a year
>>
>>28362102
Every time I shoot and coated with oil. I also apply oil to my guns resting once a month.
>>
File: 1362423466527.jpg (677 KB, 1600x484) Image search: [Google]
1362423466527.jpg
677 KB, 1600x484
I clean them lightly. Basically my cleaning and lubing is just to keep rust away, which I am meticulous about.

I clean and lube to prevent rust after every range trip. I will clean bolt faces etc and mags.

But barrels I will often leave dirty or just pulled through/patched once, especially I'm shooting it again in the next week or two. When I feel a reasonable number of rounds have been fired I will use solvent, brushes, patches and boresnakes to remove powder fouling. I rarely stril copper out of my bores, only when I notice a significant build up in the grooves and suspect accuracy might start to drop off.

My cleaning goals are:
1. Prevent all rust
2. Lube to reduce mechanical wear/ease operation
3. Clean only when necessary to keep accuracy, clean infrequently to reduce wear and chance of damage to barrels.

I think the whole scub the fuck out of your gun every time you shoot it is left over from the black powder days, and kept alive by militaries who are stuck in the 19th century.
>>
File: 20151218_181810~2.jpg (2 MB, 2988x4260) Image search: [Google]
20151218_181810~2.jpg
2 MB, 2988x4260
>>28362432
>Not maintaining your firearm.
>Running them dry
Tsk tsk.
>>
>>28362141
I disassemble my Garand ever time I fire it to clean with a rag and lube all of the parts. Is this bad?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.