[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you win a war during winter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 19
File: 1441944618231.jpg (667 KB, 3543x2362) Image search: [Google]
1441944618231.jpg
667 KB, 3543x2362
How do you win a war during winter?
>>
>>28359729
By not losing.
>>
>>28359729
Be the defender
>>
Keeping warm, and maintain supply lines.

You're not going to be doing much advancing during heavy winter weather, so you have to dig in and rely more on artillery and air.
>>
>>28359729
Nukes
>>
prepare beforehand.
>>
>>28359742
I would imagine not dieing would be helpful, too.
>>
File: cv9040a.jpg (415 KB, 2048x1356) Image search: [Google]
cv9040a.jpg
415 KB, 2048x1356
>>28359729
Like you win any other war. But you need to be trained on arctic warfare and you need the right equipment like skis and snowshoes. This, the thing in your pic, leopard 2, snowmobiles

If you do like Stalin and send some southerners in to the sub arctic you are going to end up with a lot of dead people.

The cold weather also gives the attackers an advantage. Skis offer really good mobility and moving around keeps you warm. Standing in a foxhole on the other hand fucking sucks and its really hard to keep your spirit up when it drops down to 40 below. But its really easy to hide yourself and mines in the snow so there is that.

Source me. Spent 4 years doing pic related close to the arctic circle. Sleeping out innawoods when it was 42c below freezing was fun.

TL;DR
The right equipment and the right training.
>>
>>28359754
Only right answer.
>>
>>28359856
Ever got to do any training with the Norwegians and our Cv9030N?
>>
prepare properly
Have proper winter gear
Have tracked supply vehicles/APC's
Do some training for the cold
etc
It really isn't that hard.
>>
File: 20150127_160854.jpg (884 KB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
20150127_160854.jpg
884 KB, 2322x4128
>>28359729
Brend in with the rocal natives, the key is being drunk all the time.
>>
File: cr14.jpg (182 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
cr14.jpg
182 KB, 1280x853
>>28359884
Was in CR12 and CR14. CR12 fucking sucked for me, did nothing but riding in the back of the cv9040 doing nothing, not a single blank was fired and it was just shitty for my perspective.

CR14 was pretty fun though. Our company was disconnected from our logistic and augmented (is that the right word?) a Norwegian mech battalion. Got to meet some people, fingerfuck their guns and check out their cv90. Got to spearhead the push north on the western road IIRC and we steam rolled some french airborne on some mountain. They seemed to be pretty surprised when they woke up to leopards 2 and cv9040 charging them. I think they severally underestimate the mobility of armor in snow.

Then we it was the others side turn to attack we killed some tanks in am ambush. 2 cv9040 with dismounted infantry unloading everything they had in their back from 30 meters away... the tankers was dumbfounded as fuck and we where out of there before they even returned fire.

All it all it was a pretty funny. Riding around in a cozy and warm cv940 and watching the canucks walk around with heavy rucksacks in pic related. Lol'd

Heard that one candadian guy screwed the blank fired adapter of his gun and shot himself in the foot with the cleaning rod. That was in cr12 thought. Still, the look on their faces was we rolled by...
>>
File: cv9035.jpg (175 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
cv9035.jpg
175 KB, 2048x1365
>>28360113
Forgot video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFoN1hUMwqs
>>
>>28359918
Lol, you are so wrong. Fighting in the cold is about the small things adding up to one giant monster of a son of a bitch.

The first person to get frostbite starts the chain of everyone else.

Can't have fires because you can see them miles away.

Can't do anything with precision because your hands are frozen.

Can't move through snow, so you use snowshoes. Oh shit you have contact, kick them off so you can move or risk falling into the snow with them off.

Its fucking retarded difficult to do it with any efficiency, so as someone said earlier you really only have a chance as a defender.

As an attacker I really only see it being successful is if all you do is surgical raids on supply lines and wait it out.

Source: Light infantry in the arctic for some time.
>>
>>28359729
Drones
>>
Wait till spring.
>>
File: leopard.gif (2 MB, 350x190) Image search: [Google]
leopard.gif
2 MB, 350x190
>>28360166
>The first person to get frostbite starts the chain of everyone else.
That why he said training, if you have the right training and equipment you don't get frostbites.

>Can't have fires because you can see them miles away.
That's why you have layered clothing.

>
Can't do anything with precision because your hands are frozen.
That's why you train with gloves.

>Can't move through snow, so you use snowshoes. Oh shit you have contact, kick them off so you can move or risk falling into the snow with them off.
Implying you can't run around in snowshoes or fight with skis on.

>Its fucking retarded difficult to do it with any efficiency
With training everything becomes easy.

>so as someone said earlier you really only have a chance as a defender.
Not if you know how to use skis and NVG's.

>As an attacker I really only see it being successful is if all you do is surgical raids on supply lines and wait it out.
Just feign an attack to get the enemy to man the fox holes quickly. Then wait 6 hours while they slowly freeze their dick of while you are comfy and warm in your vehicles. Then attack.

>Source: Light infantry in the arctic for some time.
How long?
>>
File: CR_11.jpg (63 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
CR_11.jpg
63 KB, 720x480
>>28360128
Yeah i hear yah. I did 5 years with the battalion that "ownes" that particular Cv. Missed out on CR 12 and 14 though, spent the whole 2012 in Meymaneh and got out in the summer 2013. Might be going back in after my bachelor is done.

Always fun to be Opfor on those exercises, can do so much shit to the others, like sneak up on them with Cv's and stuff.
>>
Dress warmly, winterize things, use FLIR
>>
>>28360166
>Can't move through snow, so you use >snowshoes. Oh shit you have contact, kick >them off so you can move or risk falling into <the snow with them off.
Fucing this. I hated doing fire and movement in snow, both with snowshoes and skies. Funny as fuck to watch though, just need some Benny Hill music
>>
>>28360259
You're basically saying, "Just don't be cold."

Training doesn't mean shit when you hold metal in your hands, have your feet in frozen ground, and your body is at the max amount of layers to agility ratio you can achieve.

Yes, we got issued layered clothing. 8 layers. Look like fucking Raplhies brother in Christmas Story if you have it all on. Good luck moving around with skis/shoes, weapon, helmet, plates, ruck or pack, water, etc. with all that on.

Gloves the most thick ones you can use while using an M4 start to give out in the negatives. Minus a layer if you're using a machine gun. Good luck loading rounds with thicker gloves. Oh and add night time and NVG's on, you'll fumble fuck for hours.

Yeah, you fucking can't properly move with skis or shoes on while taking contact dumbass.

I have many years of training using the gear you've mentioned. You haven't.

Feign an attack? Oh so sacrifice a platoon of company just to get them to stay in the exact same spot they were in. Sure.

Stay in vehicles....you can see them from miles away...

You're delusional.
>>
>>28359729
there are no winners in war
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>28360259

>i read all about winter war on the internet, im pretty much a professional
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 768x1024
Winter uniforms and no AR-15's
>>
File: invading russia.webm (907 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
invading russia.webm
907 KB, 480x480
Melt the snow
>>
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 1024x678
>>28360357
>no winners in war

See pic related, bud.
>>
>>28360400
we gave it right back to them around the turn of the last century tho
>>
>>28359729
You make sure youre Russia and in Winter
>>
File: coldresponse-swedes-snow.jpg (300 KB, 1796x1197) Image search: [Google]
coldresponse-swedes-snow.jpg
300 KB, 1796x1197
>>28360310
>Always fun to be Opfor on those exercises, can do so much shit to the others, like sneak up on them with Cv's and stuff.
Yeah, funny as fuck.

>>28360356
>You're basically saying, "Just don't be cold."
Mind over matter, take control over your body.

>Training doesn't mean shit when you hold metal in your hands
Ever heard of gloves? Tape?
As i said, right gear and training is essential.

>have your feet in frozen ground,
Wrong gear.

>and your body is at the max amount of layers to agility ratio you can achieve.
I never anything more then 2 layers on the legs and 3 layers on the upper body when i was moving around. Even when it was 30-40 below.

>Yes, we got issued layered clothing. 8 layers.
Fucking
kek
Sweating much? have fun with frostbites when you stop moving.

>Good luck moving around with skis/shoes, weapon, helmet, plates, ruck or pack, water, etc. with all that on.
So remove some fucking gear then. Wearing plates, helmet etc is fucking retarded unless you are mech inf and have access to a warm vehicle to dry up in. If you wear that much shit you will suffer more casualties from frostbites then you would from shrapnel and bullets.

>Gloves the most thick ones you can use while using an M4 start to give out in the negatives.
As i said, the right gear. There is a reason why the swedes enlarged the trigger guard on the FN FNC.

>Minus a layer if you're using a machine gun. Good luck loading rounds with thicker gloves.
Train more then. I never had any problems operating the ak5c, FN MAG, carl gustav or m249 in the snow.

>Yeah, you fucking can't properly move with skis or shoes on while taking contact dumbass.
Train more. You can't move shit without skis.

>You haven't.
I have.

>Feign an attack? Oh so sacrifice a platoon of company just to get them to stay in the exact same spot they were in. Sure.
Shoot some rounds of arty on them and get them to man their post.

>Stay in vehicles....you can see them from miles away.
And they see you. Trees?
>>
>>28360356
not who you're talking to, but I've spent my entire career, us army, bouncing between drum and wainwright, with a little sideshow to benning. Allow me to post a rebuttal:

-if you looked like ralphies little brother with your entire ecwcs and kit on, you were mis-sized. moreover you're never, ever going to be wearing your heaviest layer while on the move. never. That's for sitting in fighting positions.

-gloves. if your trigger finger mittens were giving out in the negatives, you had a shitty pair. sorry bro. dx the liners. and he was right, you know. you have to train to overcome the limited dexterity. it's doable, but shitty.

-the finns would disagree about moving during contact with skis. practice more.

-I have 10 years experience in cold weather infantry tactics. you?

-yeah, he was being dumb here.

-SUSVs are sexy, though they belong with 1SG and the mortars.
>>
>>28360418
We got the gold though.
>>
File: DSC_0006.jpg (531 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0006.jpg
531 KB, 2592x1944
>>28360377
>>i read all about winter war on the internet, im pretty much a professional

Try doing a reverse image search and see what you find.
>>
>>28360513
Your image is upside down bruh
>>
>>28359729
wait until it's nice and warm in the summer
>>
>>28360523
kek
>>
>>28360543
>dat midnight sun
i love leaving my nvgs in the bottom of my ruck for months on end.
>>
>>28360561
wouldn't know about that m8.
>>
>>28359729
Melt the snow with nukes

Duh
>>
File: foods.jpg (219 KB, 400x657) Image search: [Google]
foods.jpg
219 KB, 400x657
>>
>>28360503
>-yeah, he was being dumb here.
How so? You don't feign an attack to get them to stay in the same place. You do it to get them to pull people out of resting position and man the defensive position. If they think its the real deal they will run out without proper clothing. Seriously, sitting around waiting for the enemy to attack when its 30-40 below fucking sucks and its really demoralizing + some retard is bound to lose his foot due to frostbite.

Its not like the summer when you can just run back and forth. Doing anything in the winter is a fucking chore so just harassing the enemy from time to time will have a bigger impact in the winter then during other times of the year.
>>
>>28360113
Is that pic from it?

Are you muhreen?

Are we still raping europoors?
>>
Logistics /thread
>>
>>28360648
>Is that pic from it?
Yes.
>Are you muhreen?
Not sure, googled it quickly to show how the weather was like. One would think there would be more snow but that is a pretty accurate representation of what the weather was like.

>Are we still raping europoors?
Not really. The nordic countries that does this half a year every single year are just better at it.
But the french wasn't that impressive desu.
>>
>>28360690
So the reason why the finns beat the slavs was because of logistics?
>>
>>28360713
Really lost respect for the French during one of those, though. Like half a company managed to get fucked by hypothermia and frostbite. And these guys were some kind of French alpine battalion or something. The British Marines and the Dutch did well however, were pretty impressed. Always easy to spot the units who paid attention in the cold-weather briefings and who didn't.
>>
>>28360732
>>28359754

/thread
>>
>>28360599
ah, the stuff dreams are made of.
>>
>>28359754
Tamerlane btfo Tokhtamysh on his own territory during the Winter.

Tamerlane was neither the defender nor did he have functioning supply lines
>>
File: vägbas2.jpg (93 KB, 800x410) Image search: [Google]
vägbas2.jpg
93 KB, 800x410
I will start working in a light infantry company in northern Sweden this spring.

I have lived most of my life above the polar circle so I guess Im used to the beeing cold part but any general tips?
>>
>>28360503
I'm the guy you're replying too. Ft. Rich.

-obviously don't have level 7 while attacking. But I see no scenario conventionally where you will have the capability to consistently change between layers. You're asking for a shit show.

-I really don't know how you properly did anything with trigger fingers on unless in 'rangism' setting. Guess agree to disagree, it gets the job done, but its woefully unagile.

-MG's vs. a ski company. Dead finns. Mountains? Sure. But thats asking for indirect lower down the mountain.

-not that much time in.

-SUSV's won't be out there till FOB's are set up.

I guess we'll agree to disagree, but I just don't see a conventional vs conventional arctic warfare ever working out for an attacker. Organized training cycles and what not really delude people into its thinking its possible. The logistics for major training events are planned a year in advance and shit goes wrong still.
>>
File: slavpopcicle.jpg (154 KB, 563x716) Image search: [Google]
slavpopcicle.jpg
154 KB, 563x716
>>28360850
Yeah i don't know what their problem was. Maybe their leadership was just total shit and they where unmotivated as fuck.
>By my wagon
>Opening the road north
>1k meter high mountainchain to the right
>Hills to the left
>One narrow road with basically no room to maneuver
>Plenty of excellent ambush position, like taken out of a fucking military textbook. Lots of cover etc.
>The terrain is literally ridiculously easy
>Spear head advance, thinking we will be in contact any second now
>Gunner opens fire
>Scanning for targets
>Nothing
>Wtf is he shooting at
>Its some French soldiers in the middle of the roads aiming law's at us from 500+ meters away
>their borrowed bv206 is parked behind 3 leafless birches 10 meters to the side of the road.
Its like they sucked on purpose.

Their commanders must have peed in their sleeping bags or something.

>>28360854
You don't have to be a passive just because you are defending. In the winter war the soviets attacked but in reality the finns where a lot more reactive and offensive then there where. The slavs basically just moved in large columns on the road and then the finns moved around and split them up in to ''mottis'' and took them out one by one.

The point is that you want to take the initiative because then you get to decide when to fight, when to rest, what clothes to wear etc and this means less frostbites and better morale in the long run. Sitting in fox hole defending will guarantee a lot of amputated foots and black noses/ears.

The arctic is an environment where a highly trained force can really make a big impact so you better use that to your advantage.
>>
>>28360938
>I have lived most of my life above the polar circle so I guess Im used to the beeing cold part but any general tips?
Det är bara att lyssna på instruktionerna så är det lugnt. Kurserna är gjorde så att efterblivna skåningar som inte vet någonting ska klara av det så du borde inte ha några problem alls.

Grundreglerna är svettas du så dör du, drick mycket vatten och frys innan du ska ut och marsch. Alltså klä av dig innan du gör något ansträngande och ansträng dig inte så att du svettas mycket, börjar du svettas så måste du ta av dig kläder och sen sätta på dig igen när du slutar röra på dig.
>>
>>28361164
Okay. Tack för tipset, vi lyckades nämligen få vår Kallt Väder utbildning mitt under varmaste dagen på GMUn.

Aja, god natt nu.
>>
File: whiteDeath.jpg (22 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
whiteDeath.jpg
22 KB, 350x250
>>28359729
1. Grab Mosin
2. Go innawoods
3. ???
4. Profit
>>
File: trololo.jpg (100 KB, 351x423) Image search: [Google]
trololo.jpg
100 KB, 351x423
>>28361494
>be russian soldier
>comrades start to drop around you
>cyka blyat
>this guy peeks behind a snow wall, singing the trololo song
>>
>>28361532
I'm seriously surprised it took this long to innawoods or Simo joke.
>>
>>28359729
Good winter layers, ski's snow shoes as needed.
Healthy supply lines.
get someone behind enemy lines poisoning food supply.
>rats
>shitty food make sick soldiers, too weak to fight.
>harness extreme cold plus sick soldiers and crush opposition.
>be happy to be one of those fuckers on /k/ that lives in arctic weather year round.
>>
File: Spy-Squirrel-30718.jpg (203 KB, 866x1300) Image search: [Google]
Spy-Squirrel-30718.jpg
203 KB, 866x1300
1. Make sure you've got enough nuts stockpiled
2. Locate, steal and destroy enemy's nutpile
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.