[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what's next for hand held weapons? Every new gun 1900s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
File: lb221.jpg (35 KB, 668x323) Image search: [Google]
lb221.jpg
35 KB, 668x323
So, what's next for hand held weapons? Every new gun 1900s onward has worked pretty much the same. A striker strikes a preloaded cartridge which goes down a rifled barrel. So what's next?
>>
Pressurized guns.

Basically you use hydraulics to move a big diameter cylinder at 1000fps and because of hydraulics the smaller diameter cylinder mives the projectile at over 5000fps.

All you have to do is have a little bit stronger explosive.
>>
>>28357665
I see magnetic propulsion becoming common in small arms well before hydraulics or pressure systems. Pressure systems would almost require programmable material to be effective at small-arms scale.
>>
>>28357640
ETC. Electronic ignition of advanced propellants opens the way for improved performance without forcing a shift to a radically different method like magnets or lasers. We're going to be killing people by throwing shit with explosives as long as we can get away with it.
>>
>>28357708
No just make the cylinder where the explosives do their job 6 timmes bigger in diameter than the one pushing the projectile. Voila 6 to 1 speed increase. Of course you need explossives wich are "pushig" but those are used in stonework anyway.

Bit only practical for tanks because of reload
>>
Mass Effect's guns are pretty cool. If I remember right, a small chunk gets sheared off of a metal block, then propelled so fast using magnets or something that it hits with more force than something that size should.

Science fiction, though.
>>
File: E11_old_01.jpg (37 KB, 550x350) Image search: [Google]
E11_old_01.jpg
37 KB, 550x350
>>28357640
Let's hope to the Force it isn't the E11. The reason Stormtroopers are terrible shots isn't their training, it's their shit equipment.

...you know that thing should really be called a carbine and even that is generous.
>>
>>28357906
oh yeah? my cousin is in the First order and has 300 confirmed kills! Asswhipe like need to get DXR-6 disruptor rifle'd
>>
File: Trooper-guns.jpg (22 KB, 550x280) Image search: [Google]
Trooper-guns.jpg
22 KB, 550x280
>>28357906
It fits that way, Lucas and Co were just retards when they made it so. Every time Stormtroopers were shown outside of internal corridors and dense jungle, they were shown carrying heavier weapons.
>>
>>28357906
The storm troopers were shit in ANH because Vader ordered them not to kill Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie. Otherwise putting that tracking device on the Falcon would have been a huge waste of time. They missed all those shots because they were trying to miss.
>>
>>28357793
That's why I said "in small arms"
My question is if hydraulic systems can stand combat and deployment conditions
>>
>>28357997
This. They FUCKED up the actual rebel troops who weren't mission vital.
Even in the later movies they had very few times where it was beneficial to kill instead of suppress/corral the rebels.
>>
>>28357948
>my cousin is a space nazi planet murderer

I didn't know they divvied up the planets' population as kills among the Starkiller's crew. So brave.
>>
File: Blank2b.jpg (40 KB, 432x227) Image search: [Google]
Blank2b.jpg
40 KB, 432x227
>>28357665
we light-gas gun now
>>
>>28358000
We could simulate that. But imagine a modern 155mm round moving at 2800m/s and not "just" 1800m/s.
That would mean 4x more energy in the projectile.....
>>
>>28358023
>i'm a filthy nerf herder.
>>
>>28357640
caseless I hope, no more picking up brass.
>>
>>28358037

Imagine light-gas cartridges for rifles.
>>
>>28357906

Why do none of the troopers use the folding stock on there?
>>
>>28358087
Caseless has too poor of temperature tolerances, unless we get some alloy or polymer with great heat regulation it won't happen.
That or vaccuum-sealed gun components to prevent heat transfer
>>
>>28357748
Introduction of electric systems could also be a way to make guns safer. Colt has already tampered with the idea of biometric safety.

The idea of gun being able to go off only in the hands of it's owner has met a lot of interest in the law enforcement. For obvious reasons.
>>
>>28358120
Because the people who made the props don't know those are stocks.

>>28358127
SmartGuns will never pass as long as NRA and Fuddlobbies have a vote percentage
>>
>>28357640
ammunition activated by electricity like they have on miniguns would be an interesting new thing though I can't see any advantages this would provide other then less noisy primers perhaps.
>>
File: w5MHii8.jpg (1 MB, 784x7891) Image search: [Google]
w5MHii8.jpg
1 MB, 784x7891
>>28357997

No, they missed all those shots cause it was a movie.
>>
>>28358127

Terrible idea. Sophisticated electronics are too fragile and fickle to be used in firearms.

>dirt/sweat/whatever on the biometric scanner
>you drew hastily and your thumb isn't on the scanner in the exact right way
>bits rattled loose from rounds fired in training/age/whatever
>lost connection to CopNet, weapon disabled
>system error, try rebooting
>>
>>28358135
>SmartGuns will never pass as long as NRA and Fuddlobbies have a vote percentage
They're incredibly flawed as an idea, signal jammers and dead batteries render them non functional, plus the watch signal can be tracked and copied if you wear it out in public.
>>
>>28358158
A movie with poor enemy writing and clear plot armor.

Just because it's a movie doesn't mean it can get away with stupid shit without explanation.

Don't get me wrong. Star Wars is great. But it's not necessarily the most well-written thing.
>>
>>28358158

So don't write yourself into a corner where "bad guy incompetence" is the only way to enable the plot to go forward.

Whatever, Star Wars is a bunch of schlock.
>>
>>28358135
Well thank God for NRA. Then again I'm a europoor from a country where you can't even own a "assault rifle -like" semi-automatics unless you're a member of the military or active reserve. Even then it might get years to get a permit,, I really envy you 'murricans for your laxed gun laws..
>>
>>28358137
That wouldn't be a good thing. Having a firearm rely on electricity makes it vulnerable to power supply issues and EMP surges.
>>
File: tsspistol_000.jpg (20 KB, 183x192) Image search: [Google]
tsspistol_000.jpg
20 KB, 183x192
>>28358207
there's already a far more reliable and flexible method to render a gun inoperable without the owner's ok, that doesn't rely on bullshit tech that relies on the 'b-but it's all sci fi-y!' argument to justify why you didn't just fucking use a lock and key.
>>
>>28358189
I didn't say it worked. I was only playing with the concept.. Concepts don't always translate to practical reality.
>>
>>28357906
That poor Sterling.
>>
>>28358158
nigga have a bit of imagination
feigned incompetence is a common tactic in the empire to keep high value targets alive
>>
>>28358127
We're thinking of different kinds of electronics. From an engineering perspective, ETC ignition is a very simple concept. It's not a complex board with lots of components, it's simple, brute discharge with much less points of failure.
>>
Electric ignition. It would mean way less parts on a gun if you didn't have to have a hammer hit a primer.

Before people mention dead batteries, you do realize nuclear batteries are not prohibitively expensive, and can work for a few decades, right? You've probably already used tritium sights too.

I also want to see two-stage ammo, where the gas expansion is the first stage, and a gyro-jet type second stage makes the bullet increase velocity all the way up to the target.
>>
>>28357640
ARMOR PIERCING SABOTS PLS
>>
>>28357748
This is already in development for tanks. The propellant is aluminum powder which gets evaporated by arcing electric current. Gives much higher muzzle velocities.
>>
>>28358652
all you need is 5.7x28 :^)
>>
File: im349-60mmETC.png (128 KB, 349x258) Image search: [Google]
im349-60mmETC.png
128 KB, 349x258
>>28359682
Not much of a development, the tech has literally been waiting on the shelf for decades.
>>
File: us-army-drones.jpg (261 KB, 515x623) Image search: [Google]
us-army-drones.jpg
261 KB, 515x623
>>28357640
Guided missiles. Guided missiles everywhere. They are already fielded. In the future, we will see their further miniaturisation, perfection and penetration into everyone's arsenal. "Conventional" guns will start shifting into backup self-defence role more and more. Same as happened with swords and spears after development of firearms.
>>
>>28358627
> nuclear batteries
we fallout now
>>
>>28359788
>Airburst.
>ETC
>Switchblade and shit like.

Hnnnnnnngh.
>>
File: gnat.jpg (103 KB, 1140x871) Image search: [Google]
gnat.jpg
103 KB, 1140x871
https://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/lanl/lib-www/la-pubs/00318644.pdf
In 1985 it may be premature but looking on todays iphone with IR camera. Sheeeet.
>>
>>28359873
>Airburst

When?
>>
>>28359863
They've been around since the 1950's. If people weren't so scared of radiation they would be more common today.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.