[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joining the Military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
What are my chances of being an astronaut if I join the Air Force with an engineering education from a top ten school
>>
File: 1450393483114.jpg (33 KB, 405x481) Image search: [Google]
1450393483114.jpg
33 KB, 405x481
>>28345278
Slim and shady.
>>
>>28345278
About the same as my chances as a soil science major becoming one
>>
>>28345305
Ah the life of a sylviculturist
>>
>>28345278
I also have 20/20 vision, speak Russian, and am decently /fit/
>>
>>28345346
Astronauts have to deal with a lot of psychological tests. Your going to be stuck in space with a crew of individuals for long periods of time. For the life of me I don't know why they don't hire out of the scientific pools that have been to the antarctic
>>
60% of astronauts are mil
Need >1000 hours
Bigger question is why join?
NASA has been 20y away from Mars for 40 years.
Done w ISS in 2024(?)
No established launch vehicle
SLS is left over shuttle pork, and will cost too much per launch to be useful
Orion unproven, max 21d for 4 crew
No real plan for Mars
Asteroid Redirect Mission? Why?
Pro tip: do Plan A in life and think astronaut as Plan B
>>
>>28345524
Shame too, we really should be focusing more on interstellar adventures as a species.
>>
>>28345278
Likely pretty good.
>>
>>28345524
If he joined the chair force wouldnt plan A be drop bombs on Arabs.

This is not a bad plan A.
>>
>>28345524
>continued
Avg time from join to space flight: 110 months
Avg time in space ~40 days
This is including the numerous flights of the shuttle era and the longer times aloft in ISS
The crystal ball question is what will NASA be doing when you're an eligible candidate. You've likely got a good 10 years so you'll have a better sense of what the future will hold.
Oh yeah: fatality rate 1 in 62.
Read up on Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia to get a sense of NASA's attention to detail when it comes to your life.
I've read more than one astronaut describe the career path as basically do what you want to do, and do it with excellence, and then if you can get a gig as an astronaut, nice. If not, you still lived your life doing what you enjoy.

Been doing a lot of thinking about applying myself this cycle but the above has got my initial enthusiasm dampened by the wet towel of realism.
>>
>>28345776
>I've read more than one astronaut describe the career path as basically do what you want to do, and do it with excellence, and then if you can get a gig as an astronaut, nice. If not, you still lived your life doing what you enjoy.

That's the thing, as Plan A, I like the idea of being an aerospace engineer, which is the path I'm currently on (I've had two industry internships), but it seems like they have no active need of those in space (ironically enough)
>>
Why don't you just submit your astronaut package now?
>engineering education
>deliberately fucking vague
Your electronic engineering background from Bumbfuck University (the best school in your shitty state) won't impress anyone. The lowest tier on the engineering ladder.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html

Stop wasting time and just submit your package
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/be-an-astronaut-nasa-seeks-explorers-for-future-space-missions/
>>
File: MURFFFF - space man.jpg (197 KB, 1284x1086) Image search: [Google]
MURFFFF - space man.jpg
197 KB, 1284x1086
Freaking Biology majors can submit their package. Just submit yours. How is your work in your field? Something that makes you look better than all of your structural engineering peers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4RilyoT3zE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke1IhvMbqJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEnSS37r5y4
>>
>>28345887
>>28345917
Mechanical and aerospace engineering from Duke (you called it senpai, I'm totally retarded). I don't fit the requirements in terms of work experience yet, I'm trying to plan long term
>>
>>28345858
>>28345949
It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want to do.
That thing you want to do? Do that.
Make career/life decisions based on what will bring you satisfaction (Plan A) and secondarily what will complement your Astro appl (Plan B).
Join Air Force to be an astronaut? It's not required. Join Air Force if you want to join Air Force.
The trick with positions like this is that the selection process is very opaque. You can't get a degree in astronaut. They train you to be one. You don't know what they want. Just live your life, get experience, demonstrate your commitment to the qualities they desire, and see how your cards play out.
>>
If you want to be an astronaut, you should join SpaceX
They just landed the Stage 1 of their rocket which is already the cheapest launch vehicles in the world.

Hopefully NASA will be killed sooner or later, what a giant waste of money.
>>
>>28346155
SpaceX focuses purely on cheaper satellite transport on behalf of other organizations. That doesn't benefit anyone who wants to be in space on their own.
NASA has a place as a research organization. The private sector should focus on transportation in the LEO sector.
>waste of money
Better it go there than pic related.
>>
>>28346185
People are just cargo too.
Give it 5 years when they are launching 100 rockets a year, then they'll be carrying passengers.
>>
old but interesting
http://www.kahlercom.co.nz/NASA_study1.pdf
>>
>>28345304
Totally possible, don't be a fag

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a16985/ordinary-astronaut-excerpt/
>>
Sort of related: I got turned down by the marines at MEPS. what are my chances of joining a PMC? Or a LE dept? I want to do something.
>>
FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME, /k/ IS A HIGHLY ANTI-MILITARY ANTI AMERICAN BOARD THAT GIVES ENLISTMENT ADVICE IRONICALLY WHILE JERKING OFF TO SOLDIERS DYING OR GETTIN THEIR LIVES FUCKED OVER LIKE IT'S SOME KIND OF BIG JOKE

STOP MAKING THREADS, IT ONLY MAKES THEM EDGIER
>>
In conclusion, if you want to be an astronaut, NASA is not the place to go

The ISS will be gone soon.
the SLS program will be cancelled, probably before even a single launch.

So NASA will be left without any launch capability and nothing to do in space anyways..
>>
>>28348513
not OP but this is my concern
ISS will be there but NASA is fade to black. i guess they're tired of paying extortionate launch fees to mother russia.
#marsgetsviralattention seems like bullocks without a solid planned mapped out with a timeline and specific goals.
right now it seems very vague, especially the asteroid mission. WTF
>>
>>28348395
Shut up you excitable faggot. There are plenty of milfags here who can answer OP's query... eventually.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.