[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Identify sword my brother found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (941 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
941 KB, 2592x1936
I know /k/ has a medieval weapons threads sometimes and I need help figuring out where this sword blade came from.
My brother found it near the old ruins of my old town
>>
Not certain, but it looks like it could be from [Old Ruins] of [Your Town]
>>
>>28344494
Are there any markings?
>>
>>28344494
Where was it found?
>>
>>28344501
The thing is we are from ontario near james bay, It's kind of odd finding a sword since we're native
>>28344506
No markings can be found because it is worn out and rusted
>>
rather unusual shape.

Condition is exceptional for a find.

could you give more information:

find Location: (just the country will do, city would be brilliant.)
Geography of the find: (River? Buried? Metal Detector find?)

Length overall - its hard to tell if that's 50cm, or 120cm, without some context.

Clearer photos, particularly of any details like stamped markings, grooves in the blade, etc would be useful too - the clearer, the better.
>>
>>28344510
Near a river in the sand
>>
Ruins of what culture ?
I understand not wanting to say city since he stole a priceless part of antiquity from all of your fellow countrymen and probably destroyed the archeological site.
But its hard to tell from one grainy photo.
>>
>>28344525
Well not really ruins just where our old town was before a great flood wiped everything out
>>28344519 see >>28344522
>>
>>28344516
my gut instinct is, its probably part of a Masonic sword, or similar 19th century fraternity sword.

If it were in... hungary, or Spain, it might be older. but those flukes on the blade are virtually never seen outside of 16th C spanish Montante, other than 19th C fraternity/masonic swords, which often copy the sort of general form of those montantes.

the condition is also too good for it to be a 16th C one that's been found. steel just doesnt last that well....
Unless... Please tell me that you didnt polish it up?
>>
>>28344545
It has been sitting in my mothers closet for 5+ years untouched because I told her not to do anything with it because of it's historical value(if there is any).
>>
>>28344543
A great flood you say!
Fuck that narrows it down, thanks anon
>>
>>28344549
thank god.
I've seen people strip the surface off, and destroy all the information.

In that case, I'm going to say that a best-case scenario is that its almost certainly 19th C. Given the condition, it could potentially be 20th Century.

River-finds are often very good preservation, as silt etc covers it over and prevents corrosion from being too rapid. (I dont know the river - I presume its not tidal there?), so it could be a hundred years old. On the other hand, it might be just a few decades.

Chances of it being medieval are, I'm afraid, virtually nil. that blade shape simply isnt one used anywhere in medieval europe.
>>
>>28344555
I don't know if joking or not but we regularly have floods in my town and the one next to us because of where we are situated. We used to get evacuated because of these floods but the water levels have been getting lower so we don't evacuate as much
>>
>>28344555
>A great flood you say!

Yup. Its clearly Sumerian, circa 4000BC.
>>
>>28344494
Looks like a Conan sword
>>
File: image.jpg (964 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
964 KB, 2592x1936
>>28344580
I'll be uploading more pics
>lighter for size comparison
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>
File: image.jpg (991 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
991 KB, 2592x1936
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>
Now, anyone know how big that internationally-standardised unit of measurement, the Bic Lighter is? in Metric ideally, or Imperial at a pinch?

Cubits would not be preferred. Measurement in Parsecs would also be silly.
>>
>found in ontario
gee could it maybe be... french?...
>>
>>28344769
there's plenty of french parade swords from pioneer units and the likes from the napoleonic era, but in all honesty, I have *never* seen any early 19th C french sword with those flukes.

I'm very sceptical that is its origin. (though my field of research is medieval arms, not napoleonic or victorian era swords, so I could be wrong.)
>>
>>28344730
>>28344723
>>28344706
>>28344689
>>28344494
OP, that is the style of a German Zweihander or Flammmenschwert.
How the fuck did it get there?
>>
>>28344940
>germanic invasion of canada
>hans got tired of geese and moose so they left
>>
>>28344940
Like I said my brother found it near the riverside while we were powwowing at the island where my old town used to be.
>>
>>28344758
lol
>>
>>28344940

very unlikely, the proportions are completely off for it to be that (tang is WAY too short, ricasso is too short, blade has too much taper.

the flukes are also too small, much closer to those on montante, than german ones.
>>
>>28344964
Interesting... Maybe it belonged to a collector? Or a museum?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.