[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swiss Army Scar Maker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: Swiss Army Knife.jpg (106 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Swiss Army Knife.jpg
106 KB, 1000x1000
>Steel that dulls after just a few uses
>1mm hinge axle
>Can't handle torque
>No blade locking mechanism
>Spring loaded closing action snaps blade shut, resists it from opening
>Who the fuck needs a leather awl and would actually use the one on this piece of shit

Why are these still popular? How many scars do you have from childhood from one of these types of knives?
Sure as hell taught me to be VERY careful with pocket knives.
>>
Because in the peoples republik of no guns the police find it less scary than a folder or fixed blade knife.

Here in cuckstralia i can carry a swiss army knife or Leatherman and be let off by the police rather than a 4"folder and face questions about why I carry something that kills babies and murders innocent minorities.
>>
File: vicky.jpg (171 KB, 1500x1382) Image search: [Google]
vicky.jpg
171 KB, 1500x1382
>>28340262
Because people don't know about the slightly more expensive but far superior options out there.
>>
File: 1441562852100.jpg (53 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1441562852100.jpg
53 KB, 604x604
>fairly cheap (15-40 dollareenos last I checked for a standard knife)
>teaches you to be mindful with knives
>not the best
>not the worst
>pretty handy for your day to day tasks
>once it breaks you get a nicer new multitool/knaifu and by now you should be used to be careful and keeping your tool handy
I dunno seems like a swiss army knife is fine as an introductory knife for kids and useful for people who just want a cheap and handy multitool. If you're looking for a melee self defense weapon get a batton. I dunno senpai I don't see a need to hate something that is useful for teaching.
>>
>>28340262
>Steel that dulls after just a few uses
Are you fucking with me right now? I've had mine since I was 6 (24 now) and I only just sharpened it for the first time the other day.
>>
>>28340262

A Swiss Army is Junior's first knife just like a BB gun or 22 is their first gun.
>>
>>28340479
Why does it have philips instead of a flathead?
Flathead fits in philips not vice versa would be more usefull
>>
>>28340639
so its been dull for 18 years.

pro-tip, what you just said dosent mean anything, just that youve sharpened it the other day. and that other day dosent even mean anything either.
>>
>>28340262
It's cheap

Leathermans are better, but a bit more expensive
>>
>>28340652
Because flat heads are easier to use something else for, and using a flathead in a phillips can fuck them up pretty quicky. There are also few phillips head sizes, instead of a flat head that has more variance in deapth, width, diameter, etc
>>
>>28340695
Fair enough
>>
>>28340479
I forgot the mention that two of the glade actually lock on this model.
>>
Bought mine as a novelty. It just status in my desk and I occasionally use the scissors.

The Leatherman Wave and Surge are vastly superior, but I don't even use them that often
>>
>>28340262
4 scars
>>
>>28340262
I bought my Super Tinker because I wanted an SAK to make my little collection of knives more complete, and I wanted a little handy-dandy package of scissors and some tools I might need someday.
If I want to actually do cutting work, I'd use my ZT0450.
>>
>>28340262
They're popular because they still reliably do what they were meant to do when first designed. Why do people still buy Ka-Bars and 1911s?
I carry mine all the time and it's never, not once failed to do what I've asked of it. Yes, Leatherman does pliers better and has locking knives. No, I don't give a shit because the pliers are still fine and I carry a separate folder for knife tasks.
>>
>>28340652

It kinda has both. I have one and there's a tapered stub at the end of the bottle opener attachment that can act as a flathead.
>>
File: IMG_1464.jpg (638 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1464.jpg
638 KB, 1536x2048
This is now Multitool General
>>
>>28342158
adam savage/10
>>
>>28340262
It's a handy little thing, sure it's not gonna be great for any kind of heavy duty work but if you work in a warehouse or something it's gonna do what you need it to do.
>>
>>28340262
>How many scars do you have from childhood from one of these types of knives?
none because I'm not a fucking moron.
>>
>>28342158
You just had to try it at home.
>>
File: img10496422159.jpg?_ex=60x60.jpg (195 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
img10496422159.jpg?_ex=60x60.jpg
195 KB, 1600x1064
Their multitools are underrated IMO.
>>
>>28340262
>Who the fuck needs a leather awl and would actually use the one on this piece of shit
If you unfold the awl and hold the knife in your fist and let the awl project, you can make nasty fucking holes in things.

I've used the bottle opener, can opener, and screwdriver innumerable times. Think of it as a miniature multitool with a knife attached.
>>
>>28342654
>>28342713
Wut?
>>
>>28342740
they're referring to your holster and multitool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et-JvYrQ84o
>>
File: 1450836447946.jpg (58 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
1450836447946.jpg
58 KB, 537x720
>>28340657
>so its been dull for 18 years
Like hell it's been dull.

>what you just said dosent mean anything
"the other day" implies recent, you fucking autist.
>>
>>28342740

see:
>>28342750
>>
>>28342782
not that guy, but unless you never used it, there's no way it stayed sharp for 18 years.
>>
>>28340788
A multi tool the size of a wave or surge is quite different to a SAK. If you want something you can comfortably throw in your pocket that has a blade and a few other useful tools, and isn't threatening, get a SAK. If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind (and lifestyle/job/dress allows) carrying it in a pouch on their belt, get a proper multi tool.

We sell Victorinox and Leatherman at work. SAKs are good gifts for people who aren't very practical but are going somewhere they might need to be (travelling, outdoors, etc). Buy them a Leatherman and they won't carry it because of the bulk. A multi tool suits the car/truck person, farmer, etc far better. They'll probably break a SAK.
>>
>>28342726
overpriced was the word you wanted to post, not underrated
>>
File: rusty shackleford.jpg (16 KB, 281x500) Image search: [Google]
rusty shackleford.jpg
16 KB, 281x500
>>28340262
Because your dad didn't beat you enough
>mfw my edc is a single blade SAK linerlock
>mfw I carried a victorinox woodsman for a year as a forester
>mfw you're a faggot for not knowing how to use a knife
>mfw I've used my leather awl on several occasions
>>
Its a good first knife, the scars you get teach you respect, thats how it should be, you fuck up, you learn from it, and its only the thing you do once or twice before catching on.

Ive used every tool on my swiss army several times, dont get me wrong here its no leatherman, but you can get pretty creative with some of the shit on there.

If i ever have kids, theyre gonna get a swiss army knife when theyre like 11-12, and a proper multitool by 16.
>>
literally just used my "awl" as an ice pick for my drink.

guaranteed OP is a millennial faggot too sheltered to learn how to use a swiss army knife
>>
>>28342867
why would you need an ice pick for a drink?
>>
>>28342910
what the hell do you think Ice picks are meant for besides stabbing bitch niggas kiddo?
>you have an ice block/ice in a cooler melts together
>you need ice to cool down/dilute an alcoholic beverage
>omg wat do we do...
>maybe... get this.. use an ice pick
>to break apart ice
>>
>>28342910
Get a load of this guy
>>
>>28342921
this nigger has a point
>>
>>28342921
sorry, I live in a house with modern amenities like a freezer with an ice maker.
>>
>>28342935
so when the ice reservoir of your freezer freezes together due to ambient heat just enough to fuk over your ice crusher you tell the girl waiting for a martini that you can't prepare her drink due to your masculine inadequacies?

Personally I'd pop out the "awl" of my 2014 commemorative edition damascus bladed, Yew handled suit knife and break apart that fucking ice.
>>
>>28342933
>gets it/10
>>
Since when did slip joints become a difficult operating mechanism? And who the fuck would apply torque to any thin knife whatsoever?

Sage now and forever
>>
>>28342964
this

I learned that lesson at 9 when I acted like a retard with a solingen carving knife that cheeki breeki'd my right index finger

a proper lesson in knife etiquette and the meshing of flesh wounds.
>tfw modern kiddos don't know how to utilize butterfly bandages
>>
>>28340262
I have two scars from the same day/incident when I was a kid
>be 7 year old me
>take dad's SAK out of his dresser drawer where he stashed his cool shit
>didn't know shit about knives or how to be safe with them
>run outside and start waving open blade around like a little faggot
>slice my leg
>notice and freak out to try to close edge
>unforgiving blade of death snaps down on my finger
still have both scars 25 years later. It's good that that happened to me. Taught be to respect a knife and not go fucking around trying to be a smartass.
>>
>>28342953
>so when the ice reservoir of your freezer freezes together due to ambient heat just enough to fuk over your ice crusher
I'm not sure where you live, but I've literally never had that happen. Maybe you should move out of the trailer park?
>2014 commemorative edition damascus bladed, Yew handled suit knife
*tips multitool
>>
>>28342978
>I've never gone on a day trip with a member of the opposite sex: the post
k den kiddo

>mommy never let the ice maker backup ;_;
someone's never serviced their refrigerator. Grow up, then comment about how a EDC pocketable screw driver capable of handling common torque requirements is a bad thing
>>
>>28342995
>making martinis when innawoods
here's your response. I'm done with your shit, redneck anon.
>>
>>28343010
>has never packed a picnic4adults/10
>has never gone to the beach/lake with a woman
>>/r9k/ is that way m8
>>
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 960x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 960x630
>>28340262
Fuck you buddy, my tinker is one of the handiest things i own.
>steel Keeps its edge perfectly fine with daily light cutting tasks, with the occasional strop every few months
>hinge works just fine provided you dont be a dumbass and try to baton with it or throw it
>not many small light knives are designed around handling much torque, but if you do for some reason need to pry something then the bottle opener/flat head screw driver does a pretty good job of it
>fairly strong slipjoint is adequate for any light cutting task, as long as you arent trying to stab a tree you should be right
>i should fucking hope the slipjoint mechanism resists the blade from opening
>ive used the awl to put a few new holes in leather belts being the hungry skellington i am and the hole in the awl is handy for basic sewing or threading shit through other shit.
>they're popular because theyre fairly cheap and handy as fuck, not only can you achive most cutting tasks you'll come across in life, you'll also be able to efficiently open cans and bottles, screw phillips head screws, large and small flathead screws, strip wires, you have a smaller blade aswell as the large one so you can cut two things at once in the right circumstance, a handy awl for making hungry skellington holes and even a toothpick and pair of tweezers. What can your gay ass benchmade do other than open amazon boxes?

You could argue a leatherman is better but in my mind they are just much bigger and heavier and arent always more usefull, plus ive owned 4 leathermans and each one had some kind of annoying quality control flaw

As for scars i have one on my arm because i was an edgy teen and thought id give myself a cool looking scar

Its sentimental to me because its the first knife i bought when i was 16 and the first thing i did was walk into the woods and cut swastikas into trees

Fuck you
>>
Just looked for mine and found it in a draw.

Man this thing looks dirty. Crud in all the crevices and folds. Best way to clean it up?
>>
>>28343321
Open everything
Blast with water
Dry
Blast with balistol
>>
>>28340262
I've had one of these since I was twelve and didn't cut myself once. Why? Might have something to do with not being an inbred retard
>>
>>28340639
>>28342782

This embarrassing stupidity is why knife threads are so awful here. This faggot is so ignorant about knives that he doesn't even know what a sharp knife IS, let alone having ever encountered one before.

Fuck you, fuck everyone like you. You mongoloids are ruining the knife industry by pushing performance as a cutting tool down to about 12th or 13th on the priority list.
>>
>>28343605
Settle down there buddy, his knife may well have been sharp all that time, how heavy was his usage? I mean i only use one of the two blades on my sak, so the other blade technically has its factory edge and thats 10 odd years after i got it.

And sharp is a subjective term, "sharp" might just mean "cuts shit", it dosnt mean "cuts shit well".

Ops calling bullshit on the entire "steel that only dulls after a few uses" thing was entirely justified, like any tool, maintain it and it works, i know the steel on my knife is just fine if i run it over a steel once or twice a year, but then again, thats me and my needs reflect my usage.
>>
File: image008.gif (13 KB, 460x399) Image search: [Google]
image008.gif
13 KB, 460x399
>>28343652

The only way a knife stays sharp for years is if it remains unused. When knives are competently sharpened they achieve a very high level of initial sharpness but will inherently lose that high-sharpness very quickly in use, quickly degrading to a "working edge"

This is because knife blunting is highly non-linear, see pic related. So you see, only people who haven't used actually sharp knives can talk such obvious nonsense.
>>
>>28342953
I'd break that ice up with my needledick
>>
>>28340262
A Swiss Army Knife is not a heavy duty knife. The blade is made for cutting food, certain types of rope and open packages.

The other tools serve their purposes well to be honest.

If you buy a SAK and expect it to be some sort of tool for camping or similar, you are fucking retarded.

It's a knife for a urban setting, at most it's good for picnic at the local park.
>>
>>28342935
Ice makers are a waste of precious freezer space and are too prone to mold and jams, from my own personal experience.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.