[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Metal Gear /k/ material? How faithfully are the weapons in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
Is Metal Gear /k/ material? How faithfully are the weapons in this series portrayed?

Is it possible for such events to actually transpire? Not just the Metal Gears themselves, but some of the other military tech?
>>
>>28338759
All weapons in MGS are based on real concepts, aside from the mecha.
MGS games up until 5 have had real world guns.
Its /k/ in the sense that its themes are /k/, but the game itself isn't that /k/.
>>
>How faithfully are the weapons in this series portrayed?
Fairly well, although it focuses heavily on the style-over-substance bullshit, perhaps to its credit if your into that kind of thing.
>Is it possible for such events to actually transpire?
No. the whole "untrackable missile launch" shit is a flawed concept. Railguns produce a massive amount of heat, so any satellite that can track a missile launch can track a MG launch just as easily.
>Not just the Metal Gears themselves, but some of the other military tech?
The only truly fictional tech in MGS are the metal gears. Everything else, those hovering patrol platforms, the Fulton system, railguns, all real to some degree.
>>
Metal gear is into the trash it goes material.
The plot is inane
It's far from /k/,your suppressor breaks after emptying a couple of rounds FFS.
>>
>>28338909
But anon, muh deep themes! Muh art! Muh Can love bloom on the battlefield?
You obviously just didn't get it.
>>
>>28338823
>all real to some degree.

how about dudes that can bend time and fucking pullout gun from thin air ?
>>
>>28338909
This is why i like splinter cell better the suppressor breaking after a mag or 2 just makes no fucking sense and pisses me off when playing
>>
>>28338909
>>28338995
>I can't have fun
>Everything must be true to life

Autism speaks
>>
>>28339009
Not military tech. If your talking about the MGS universe as a whole, sure its full of bullshit. But I thought this thread was disregarding the levitating psychics and guns made of bees.
>>
>>28339038
I did have fun with metal gear, but people who think that the themes of the series are anything close to deep or insightful belong in the camps. I cringed hard when I heard people unironically saying that if Ebert would just play some MGS3 he would be unequivocally convinced that video games are art. Frankly, he was right. games are to be fun, not deep and if there is a game that succeeds at being art; it sure as shit isn't an MGS game.
>>
>>28339009
He said tech, not magic

>b-but nanomachines, son

Didn't exist in 1964. Also good luck explaining ghosts with NANOMACHINES SON
>>
>>28339067
Not art at all, but a damn good series. It's fun and the story is strange and interesting. Does all the right things, for me at least. Not art, but fucking amazing.
>>
>>28338759
Is it /k/?
To a point, yes. The games are mainly oper8s oper8ting operationally, has guns and cool military stuff. But there's a lot of weird bullshit.
>>
>>28338759
Most of the main guns are pretty faithful to life, theyre pretty hard to fuck up, really. Almost everything else, be it MG's, nanomachines, almost everything in MGSV, are pretty bullshit. One, and Three are pretty realistic for how much they take after stereotypical spy movies. Take out the MG's and the super powers and you may have a pretty real sounding event.
>>
>>28338759
Big Boss is pretty fucking /k/. Even though Japanese people don't know shit about guns so some stuff in MGS is cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMYeOaViwM
>>
>>28339482
to be honest MGS gets it better than most western movies or video games.
>>
>>28339482

MGS games have a certain pattern they follow.

Good guys going into enemy territory with nothing

Bad guys broken down into troops with conventional weapons, generals have woo-woo magic powers, and the main bad guy has a mech and nukes

Good guys are good until half way then they turn bad

You have two ways of attacking, guns blazing or belly crawling
>>
>>28339639
>You have two ways of attacking, guns blazing or belly crawling
There's also the third option of memorizing the game so well you can do a no kill no alert speed run.
>>
File: 1331618352802.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1331618352802.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>28338759
>/k/ material
I'd say so. Themes are anyways.

>How faithful are the weapons?
Probably the most faithful in gaming.
They took great care to have all the little details right, and have very good weapon choice within the limits of each game. Up to 4, it had crazy attention to detail. Case in point, the AN-94 had the proper canted magazine and two-round burst followed by normal fire. There's a lot of shit like that; it's arguably the most /k/ series possible in that regard.

Sadly, in V, Konami fucked about and apparently has some licensing deal with Tokyo Marui, so all the guns got fictionalized. However, to its credit, they are all clearly combinations of certain guns you can easily pick apart, and you can tell what every single one of them is supposed to serve the role of.

I know people are giving it a lot of shit in this thread for the writing and supernatural elements and embellishment on technology/tech available too early, but they're pretty much literally autistic or austere to a point of idiocy. It isn't the Brothers Karamazov necessarily, but it's pretty well there, in terms of gaming. It is one of the only series in popular media (Though I'm sure literature has covered it) to really try and inspect people who enjoy battle and soldier because they like it without calling them terrible people, or to try and explore that and people to whom soldiering is the only way of life that fits. It explores child soldiers, PTSD, loss of brethren in combat, and many mature themes like that. It goes all the way up to questions of self-determination and philosophical examinations of the role and methods of the ruling class and government, and totally fucking nails the absolute insanity brought by the information age like no other. MGS2 is a postmodern masterpiece.

On top of that, they have more little operator tricks and proper stances and legitimate tactics well-implemented than any other series. I'll take a little flair and occasional telekinesis for that.
>>
>>28338909
>" The device used thick rubber wipes that were only good for about thirty rounds. Therefore, each 26-round pack of ammo (enough for two magazines) included a new suppressor insert tube to replace the shot out internals of the can."

http://www.guns.com/2013/02/04/mk-22-hush-puppy-pistol/

fucking idiot
>>
File: 1255825897709.jpg (135 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
1255825897709.jpg
135 KB, 576x864
>>28339067
>>28339119
underage cancer detected
>>
>>28339730
Its for gameplay purposes, and not through any deep aspirations of historical accuracy, otherwise all the other games past 3 would feature suppressors that wouldn't wear out after a magazines worth of ammunition. Aside from the permanently suppressed weapons like MGS4's Ruger pistol, etc.
>>
>>28339734
>Being triggered because not everyone is so shallow that they find piece of interactive espionage genre fiction with high school-level political themes to be a life changing experience
Don't worry bucko, its just a phase you're going through.
>>
File: 2deep4u.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2deep4u.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>28339791
>>
File: 1230477161352.jpg (72 KB, 600x950) Image search: [Google]
1230477161352.jpg
72 KB, 600x950
>>28339791
Go back to doing the nae nae you faggot pleb. Your kind is the reason the world is shit.
Either that or your'e a girl who has no respect for soldiers and their experiences.
If you hate metal gear then you never knew true comradery which comes from a commander and a soldier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lieJIxJZs1M
>>
>>28340119
if every commander was like Big Boss morale would skyrocket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_V5j6BzNk

>I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea
>I will always be with you
>>
To be fair if you removed the mecha and the weirdness from metal gear it would be pretty fucking dull.

Metal Gear is for operating but more importantly it's for fun. Stop looking at it from the perspective of it supposed to be super duper realistic and realize the game is basically a modernized paranormal/mythological warrior story.
>>
>>28339791
>>28339832
this, I think I'm the only remaining person GW hasn't gotten to that has played MGS2
>>
File: revolver bobcat.jpg (49 KB, 851x474) Image search: [Google]
revolver bobcat.jpg
49 KB, 851x474
To this day I still don't understand this scene. What did Ocelot do with his pistol to have it jam on him and why would it do that?
>>
>>28339067
Three was at least Bond Movie level... well up until the mandatory Hideo Twist ending.
>>
>>28339009
TOMMY GUN!
>Bzzzzzzz
>>
>>28338759
Its weeboo tier shit.
Its the ace combat of shooters.
>>
>>28339038
I don't like mgs3 since it's aged terribly.
The camera system is horrible forcing artificially difficulty where you either spend a day crawling forward 1", going into FB with thermals, binoculars and mic, inching forward and doing the check again etc.
The previous ones dind't work without solitron and this is a testament why. If it was over the shoulder perspective it'd be better, but it's just artificial difficulty with "lol u can't see 5ft infront of you unless you go slow and check every second in fp mode."
Why not just make it over the shoulder so you can see and don't have to perform shitloads of actions and get caught anyway as soon as someone turns a corner the moment you weren't checking?
The ai is dumb as rocks, once one sees you entire map knows where you are until you run far away enough,

Not to mention fucking terrible controls

If it wasn't for the fun characters and ideas, quirkyness, attention to detail and batshit insane storyline It'd be a shit game. Yes, everything but the core gameplay itself is great.
>>
File: 1430032144465.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1430032144465.gif
4 MB, 320x240
>>28343434

>"of shooters"
>>
MGS solid is fucking retarded MGS fanboys are on the same level as people who take WH40K seriously.
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>28343464

what are you talking about?
>>
>>28343468
Nigger faggot fuck YOU
>>
>>28343464
only reason people think mgs is deep is because it tries to cover some more complex subjects and give players food for tought.

The reason gamers praise it is because most real gamers are dumb pieces of shit who have only played games since childhood and don't understand how good layered storytelling works. MGS spells everything out and spoonfeeds the player with the themes and questions so you feel smart without actually having to be one.

It's still a fun series and if it took itself seriously it'd be shit.
>>
>>28343407
Tried ejecting a live round from the Makarov. The Mak's ejection port is too small for the whole round, only large enough for the brass, and it took a shit.
>>
>>28341381
>That scene where you have to shoot the infected soldiers saluting you.

Patrol the first cricle of hell till I meet you again men, dismissed.
>>
>>28339779
>i have never played mgs1 and 2: the post

suppressors in 1, 2, and 4 dont wear out. its only in 3 and 5. 5 has an excuse for this since it takes place in the 80s you can build a modern silencer that doesnt wear out at all
>>
>>28341463
Exactly.
It's a game. It's fun.
>>
>>28343598
It's a game mechanic. If the suppressor didn't wear out, you'd just use your gun all the time, and then what's the point of any of the sneaking mechanics?
>>
>>28339067
this is the problem. mgs3 trades off any real sense of political importance, shallow as it may be like 1 or actually important like 2, for an exaggeration of a classic bond movie, which in themselves are classic but not groundbreaking.

i agree if he played mgs1 and 3 he would still think videogames arent art, but the roger ebert is a fucking idiot who never gave many good movies a chance and always went with many popular opinions about movies without much actual insight. he ran an opinion piece that most people his age would agree on and thats about it, by the time he died there were many people who did his job better and had a fresher view of film so im not exactly sure why we should judge these games or games in general with his arguably outdated opinion on art
>>
>>28343455
I'll give you that one. Even playing the original PS2 version, the controls definitely take some getting used to. And once you're used to them, they're still shit. At least you have something to work for.
>>
>>28343610
more proof you havent played the previous games

the point is that ammo, at least until peace walker and 5, was limited and the option of sneaking was more favorable in every situation because you would be swarmed by enemies very quickly, at least up until 3 where kojima slowed the game down and decided to make big boss a rambo character in 3 and onwards. it was made that way by peace walker intentionally to draw a wider audience in that were more used to the shooting games at the time.
>>
>>28343455
they fixed this in re releases

they now have full camera control, and the 3ds version (not sure about the psn version) has a crouch function like peace walker
>>
>>28338759
Idk but the FN 5.7 was portrayed pretty well in that all the weebs used it despite it requiring your to magdump anyone to disable them.
>>
>>28343653
In MGS IV of course.
>>
>>28343407
Basically Ocelot was the one who was meant to hook up with Naked Snake, he was surrounded by witnesses and so could not or would not (hard to tell with him since he is triple Spy) risk blowing his cover.

Instead, he purposefully jammed his makarov that allowed Snake to take over the situation and let them all walk away with their lives and resume being the deep agent in Volgins ranks.

In the end of MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots we discover that Ocelot was truly loyal to Big Boss and no other.

>He was asking to have his gun jam on him?
Of course he was, he was saving Naked Snakes life
>>
It's one hell of an autistic military-themed opera. So it's sort of /k/, I guess? But really, Hideo and Kojima were both really into guns and stuff so they put a lot of care into it. What with Ocelot's Makarov getting a stovepipe due to his retarded trick, liberal usage of trigger discipline and all that shit, and whatever else that I can't bother to think of.
I personally wouldn't say it's particularly /k/, but only God knows what's /k/ and what isn't these days so take my word with a grain of salt.

Oh and by the way, please let the ''there are no real guns in MGSV because of Konami's deal with Tokyo Marui'' meme. Kojima wanted to make every single gun super-customizable in MGSV, and you can't just put a fucking AK stock on an AR-15, so he went for imaginary franken-guns.
>>
>>28338759
Good concept ruined by cancerous japanese humour.
>>
>>28344743
>Hideo and Kojima

Wut
>>
>>28343653
>Using any handgun besides the Springfield only because it appears equipped after scenes
>>
>>28344886
there's a running meme on /v/ that he's actually two different people, one going by Hideo, the other going by Kojima

when they work together they use the name Hideo Kojima
>>
>>28340119
>>28341381
Big Boss did nothing wrong.
>>
>>28345163
Even when he was the villain in MG1 and 2, people still loved him

It was always morally gray
>>
>>28345163
>kidnaps random soldiers, tells them either to join their ship or he's a man overboard
>is a warmongering retard in general
>quite literally steals everything, even his fucking identity, from one of his random medics just so he could chillax on the Miami beaches wanking off to the Outer Heaven he's totally about to build, while the said medic does everything for him
I mean nobody in Metal Gear is a philanthropist (no pun intended) but that's still pretty fucking wrong in my terms m8.
>>
>>28345163
you mean venom m8
>>
>>28345561
>I didn't listen to the tapes: The Post
Venom Snake was Zero's doing. The surgery and hypnotherapy were done while Big Boss was still in a coma. They woke up within a few days of each other.
Ahab built Outer Heaven. Big Boss built Zanzibar Land. It wasn't anything like what you described.
>>
>>28345822
BB was still perfectly aware of who Venom was, what the entire plan was, yadda yadda. He knew all of it. And he used Venom while jacking off and doing nothing. He could have at least told him about the whole thing. Ya know ''hey so uh you have my face and voice and stuffs, wanna build my Outer Heaven dude? it could be cool'' or something like that. It's not like Venom wasn't fond of the idea, seeing as when he learned the truth behind all of it, he just smirked into the mirror like as if he was saying ''aww yeah nigga, feels goooood''.
Yeah, you're technically right about that. I just meant BB's idea of an ''outer heaven'', the whole ''soldiers' paradise'' deal. Sorry.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.