[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /k/ I've been looking at getting a Beretta 92A1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 92B_17.jpg (47 KB, 650x443) Image search: [Google]
92B_17.jpg
47 KB, 650x443
Alright /k/ I've been looking at getting a Beretta 92A1 for quite a while. Recently the Taurus 92 was brought to my attention. I've heard that it is reliable with most ammo, I like the position of the safety/decocker, and I can pick one up for $250 less than the Beretta. So does /k/ have an opinion on this handgun? I know Taurus has a bad reputation for reliability and quality control but Is the PT92 an exception?
>>
>>28336276
You will constantly wish you had bought the Beretta and will develop sour grapes about it. The Taurus is a serviceable gun but the fit and finish of the Beretta will be superior.
>>
>>28336276
I kick myself for buying a $150 cheaper marlin knockoff made by rossi.
But I got a lil $100 3-9x 40 scope.
>>
Don't listen to these fools, I have one and it's flawless. Great purchase, runs all ammo just fine.
>>
>>28336545
one of my few concerns is the magazines. from what I've seen Mec Gar makes some really nice ones. Have you had any trouble with the ones shipped with the PT92?
>>
>>28336545
Don't listen to this asshole. They're fucking trash. I listened to /k/ once on this very model. Stripped screws and the bushings were trashed from the factory. Found that out after I got a set of replacements grips last Christmas.
>>
For the average person the PT line will all the bases the average person could worry about for its price, especially used. There are guys that have had them for decades with no hiccups and there are guys that will act like a blemish nearly got them killed. There are lemons sure l, just check the gun out before you buy it. There are serious beretta fans that own both. They won't argue that the PT is as good but they generally don't subscribe to the general festering hatred bred from life on the Internet like a lot of /k/.

It's also fun to note that people will bitch endlessly about the controls on the Beretta making it a complete shit. If that's a deal breaker for you then pick up a PT, if not then save a little more and go for the A1
>>
>>28336276
PT92 is no exception to the rule of Taurus.

Buy a Berretta
>>
>>28336276

Berettafags will push the Beretta-brand Beretta. All though they're right in that the Beretta will probably have a better finish, their shit-talking PT92s is mostly unfounded. They will only do it in order to justify their spending an extra $200 for a gun that looks exactly the same.

The bottom line is that the PT92 will fill the role that most people will require a handgun for. It's only when you look at finer details that the Taurus isn't as nice as a Beretta.
>>
>>28336276
Hey I just bought a Beretta 92A1, and its also on the k approved fire arms list.

I actually have one thing about my Beretta that worries me, along the underside of the slide I see some wear, and when I say wear I mean the black has been scrapped off and its just steel under it now. I'm not sure its supposed to be worn that much after only 100 rounds.

Ive taken it apart and cleaned, lubed, but it still feels rather stiff to pull the slide back. The wear wasn't there until after today's firing.

Should I be worried?
>>
>>28337353
The slide mounted safety/decocker doesn't matter to me on the beretta, I think it is blown way out of proportion, but is the fit and finish of the 92A1 250 dollars better?
>>
>>28337706
>is the fit and finish of the 92A1 250 dollars better?

No. More like $100 better. Still though, it's better.
>>
>>28337698
>Should I be worried?

No.

It's a contact surface, it's going to show wear and the finish will come off.

Also, some lubricants will wear away the Bruniton finish.
>>
>>28336276
>TAURUS
never buy taurus
>>
>>28337738
Thanks anon, I am way to used to Revolvers, every gun I have is a revolver of some type but this is the second handgun with a slide "minus my 22lr"
>>
>>28336345
>>28337149
>>28337485
bought a pt100 40 cal new in 95. probably 10k rounds through it with narry a hiccup
>>
>>28336812
Didn't have any issues with the mags, they're pretty hardy and no FTF problems.
>>
>>28337878
>>28337887
Thanks for the info I'm not to concerned with small blemishes as long as the gun is functionally sound. I've heard good things about the pt92.
>>
>>28338030
im no taurus fan but the pt92/99 and 100/101 are the exception to the rule. they are made on baretta machines.the outside fit and finish on my pt100 is superb and there are minimal milling marks inside.
>>
I pick up a used stainless steel one about 5 months ago in really good shape for around $300. I've got about 400 rounds of various ammo through it without a single problem. I really love the thing.

I'm not a fan of Taurus, but I knew this model seemed to be the exception. I just wanted a full size 9mm that wasn't another Glock.
>>
>>28338765
that seems to be what I'm hearing. hopfully I will have similar luck. I'd hate to get a lemon.
>>
If you can get it for less than $350, it's a good gun. But you'll want to shell out the extra $200 for the 92FS/m9, or even a little more for the A1

Beretta gets a lot of hate on this board sometimes, too. Either one is a good gun, and worth what you'll pay for it.
>>
>>28341025
locally a 92A1 is going for 600 while the Taurus 92B-17 is going for 350. by all accounts the 92B-17 is an exception to the poor quality that Taurus is known for as far as I have seen. While I don't much about the slide mounted safety the frame mounted one is clearly better.
>>
>>28341115
p226 or glock 17 for you
>>
>>28336276
I've got the 92a1 it's been reliable with everything but fiochi ammo which kind of jams upright upon exiting the magazine. Went 1200 rounds without cleaning it before it's first jam.
>>
>>28336276
From what I've read, the Taurus 92 handguns in what was Beretta's Brazil factory using Beretta machines and specs. When they first took began production at the former Beretta factory they even retained employees that had worked their making Berettas.
I would be inclined to get a 92 made by Beretta since they designed the gun, but if you aren't going to worry about the name on the slide I think the Taurus would serve you fine.
>>
>>28336276
so far I'm at 8k rounds through my pt92 without a single problem. it's a beretta clone based off of beretta's original 92 made in an old beretta factory.
I've handled berettas, and there's really not much difference between the two guns, aside from the safety. pt92 will even use 92fs magazines if you modify them slightly.
>>
File: 1449660692758.jpg (69 KB, 419x610) Image search: [Google]
1449660692758.jpg
69 KB, 419x610
>>28336276
Logan don't buy Brazilian shit.
>>
File: buying_a_taurus_on_armslist.webm (1 MB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
buying_a_taurus_on_armslist.webm
1 MB, 1280x688
>>28336276
>Taurus
>made in Brazil
>ever

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/taurus_agrees_to_voluntary_rec.html
>>
>>28336276
You should always save your money and buy what you want rather than going cheap and getting buyers remorse.
>>
>>28344593
their polymer guns are shit, we all know this.
>>
>>28344607
I would hate to spend 250 more on the beretta when the Taurus is as reliable with a slightly worse finish by all accounts.
>>
File: 2.jpg (935 KB, 1717x2605) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
935 KB, 1717x2605
Get a Beretta brand Beretta

here is mine. The factory extendoos are really nice too.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.