[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ar ammo question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 20151226_184827.jpg (959 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
20151226_184827.jpg
959 KB, 2304x1296
So i picked up a box of 5.56x45 nato rounds for my father in laws new ar. Im new to rifles as i only go shotguns and sidearms yet when i had a lookie in the box at them i noticed the brass looked worn and small scratches could be seen. I also noticed discoloration. So is this just part of the process of making ar food?
And what gives with the green tips?
>>
The green tips let you shoot through schools.
>>
>green tips

isn't that the AR55 thing that had a shitstorm last year or something
>>
>>28327547
Thank you for shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods. The green tips are bimetal steel jacketed, considered light armor piercing. Your local range may not let you shoot them, as they tend to be hard on backstops and target frames.
>>
>>28327561
correct
green tip should be steel-shell for armor piercing
>>
>>28327595
Green tips are barrier penetrators, black tips are AP
>>
File: awra556q3269.jpg (111 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
awra556q3269.jpg
111 KB, 800x520
>>28327547
>5.56x45
some ammo looks cleaner externally than others but what youve got is perfectly acceptable

its got a green tip cause its m855
>>
OP do not shoot that ammo it will pierce through concrete walls and kill anything on the other side. very dangerous stuff. they're banned for a reason, only the military uses them
>>
>>28327547
>brass looked worn and small scratches could be seen
The military found that cleaning brass was unnecessary and even detrimental in some cases because it can weaken the case. Some ammo is nice and pretty, some isn't, both work.
>>
>>28327613
Thats not what the atf told me.
>>
>>28327588
These where a walmart special took the last box for 60 bucks the make is american eagle
It says they are full metal jacket. Though im sure the abc police would love to get them off the streets if they could.

>>28327645
M855?
>>
>>28327576

yea, they are actually worse at penetrating body armor at short ranges than standard ball but they are better at not deforming through barriers and penetrating light armor (read: WW2 era steel helmets if they hit squarely) at long ranges.

They shoot looser groups on average than standard ball and many ranges wont let you use them cause they are a bunch of bitchez.

>ROs face I went mag dumped m855 with m856 laced in every three rounds at the indoor range

It was like the god damn fourth of july in there.

....I can never go back
>>
>>28327711
>M855
Google it.
>>
File: fgaksd.jpg (30 KB, 580x651) Image search: [Google]
fgaksd.jpg
30 KB, 580x651
>>28327722
>>
>>28327711
its a specific loading of 556
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO
>>
>>28327722
Wow so i guess he will have to just use them on his farm.

So they are bitching about them because of penetration potential?
>>
>>28327768
they are bitching cause people like to bitch and they were/are depending on country current standard military spec ammo
>>
>>28327768

no they don't allow them because of the ricochet potential what with the steel not really deforming and just bouncing around.

aka: you'll shoot your eye out kid!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.