[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ I bought my first milsurp rifle and I was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 687x214) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 687x214
Hey /k/

I bought my first milsurp rifle and I was wondering what the beat way to get the grease out of the stock wood? I don't want to sand it or anything, just have it clean

>pic related, but not mine
>>
Bump
Help please
>>
>>28322068
Are you talking about Cosmoline?
>>
>>28322219

Yes...
Maybe

I thought that was just a Russian thing
>>
>>28322240
Nope, a lot of countries used cosmoline, including us.
>>
>>28322248
Any advice to get it off while keeping stock ridgy didge?
>>
>>28322255
Is it only in the stock or is the rifle slathered in it too?
>>
>>28322255
Wrap it in black trashbags and put it in your car on a hot day. I've heard you can put it in the oven as well, but it sounds risky.
>>
Run a mag through the old girl and wipe off all the excess
>>
File: 416750177.jpg (26 KB, 352x198) Image search: [Google]
416750177.jpg
26 KB, 352x198
>>28322068
Also what ammo are you running through it? The older .303s like your mk3 no1, and p14's tend to be allergic to prvi 150gr ammo. My p14 keyholes badly with it. Ive gotten a hold of some winchester super x 180gr. Hopefully that goes well.
>>
Well sweating it out of the stock is the most thorough way of doing this. You can either wait until a really hot summer's day, or move to the Southern Hemisphere, and wrap it in foil or plasiric bags and leave it in the sun/your car. You can put it somewhere hot, like an oven or next to the fire, or you can use a powerful hairdryer (takes a long time).

Just don't scorch the wood.

A less thorough option would be to use a stiff bristled nylon brush and white spirit. This will get it out of the surface pores, but there will be a little deeper down.

After that you should learn how to re-condition and finish it using linseed oil.
>>
>>28322296
.303 180grain Remington
>>
>>28322068

you can clean with soap and water, rub mineral spirits onto the wood, and sweat the stock by putting it in the oven at 200 deg or less, a hair dryer or leaving it out in the sun on a hot day. you can do all three or just one. YMMV
>>
>>28322068
Steam OP. Steam. Boil a big ass pot of water and hold the stock over the wood for a couple of seconds. Take it off, wipe it down with a rag, and then do it again, until no more brown comes off. If you like milsurp, I'd suggest buying a steam gun, makes life a lot easier. A few things, don't steam it too long, I've been told that can damage the wood (not entirely sure though). Also, don't ever really expect the smell to go away. And third, make sure you really clean the cosmoline of the metal parts, take apart the bolt and really get in there. Sorry for the quality, posting from hotel.
>>
Low low low temperature in the oven.

Sweats it out really nice. Please don't alter the finish though, you will regret it. Just focus on extracting the cosmo from the stock, without damaging the finish.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.