[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bushcraft Knives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (467 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
467 KB, 1200x900
What's the best bushcraft knife other than a mora? And what's a good one (other than a mora) that won't break the bank? Also, to keep it /k/ related, how would you use said knife for self defense via a wild animal.
>>
>>28321232
You can find an Esee-4 for a pretty decent price if you shop around

But you'd get better help on >>>/out/
>>
"best" is subjective but there are a bunch of good knives out there. esee, survive, busse, randall, winkler, list goes on and on
>>
>>28321259
When I posted the question they all went aspergers on me and insisted that knife threads belong on /k/. Anyways, I'll check that out. I already have a mora and just wanted to know what else was out there.
>>
>>28321270
What's your favorite?
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 522x171) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 522x171
Schrade schf 10 is what I got. Works well for chopping and sturdy as hell.
>>
>>28321302
How hard is it to sharpen?
>>
>>28321301
low price? esee can't be beat. you'll have to ask yourself whether having a few esees is worth having 1 busse or other knife. I don't use my knives enough to have to answer that question. more of a "just in case" knife that I'll probably never use because I'm not much of an outdoorsy person.
>>
>>28321315
Depends of what your using to sharpen it.
>>
>>28321315

It's 8cr13mov or some comparable rice-nigger steel. It's soft as babyshit.
>>
>>28321371
I paid probably 40 with shipping and handling.I,don't give a shit.
>>
File: bushlore4.jpg (137 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
bushlore4.jpg
137 KB, 800x533
>>28321232
I've heard good things about a condor bushlore. I got a mora over it since I couldn't justify the price difference as poorfag, but it looks pretty nice
>>
File: whic3h.jpg (350 KB, 816x1013) Image search: [Google]
whic3h.jpg
350 KB, 816x1013
Which one? Going to get a small knife for bushcraft and field use but I can't decide between these 2. Don't say ESEE either because they're horribly overpriced in my cuntry. An izula runs almost 100 USD
>>
>>28321294
I thought tools and gear are important for outdoors activity?
What is /out/'s general disposition?
>>
>>28321232
I own one of those benchmade bushcrafters. It does the job.
>>
>>28322591
Trekker
Looks more sturdy and easier to control
>>
>>28322591
trekker u cunt ive already told you in like 5 other threads
>>
>>28321232
I have the knife pictured by OP. The knife is good quality but the grip takes some getting used to.
>>
>>28321232
I love my BK2 - it is great and feels indestructible, but I guess, as with anything, nothing is one true answer. Pick whatever you want, but BK2 is my recommendation.
>>
File: knifeart_2270_42022505.jpg (360 KB, 864x530) Image search: [Google]
knifeart_2270_42022505.jpg
360 KB, 864x530
Why not Chris Reeve mastertier sebenza?

Pic related.
>>
>>28321294
What the fuck are you talking about, your post on /out/ knife general has 3 replies and they are all trying to help you you ungrateful piece of shit
>>
>>28324677
Absolute junk. Folders break under typical use from bushcrafting.

I use a tops bob for bushcrafting. Solid knife thats gone up in price.
>>
>>28325386
I always wanted to shitpost sebenza.

every fucking thread sebenza guy would show up.
>>
File: IMAG2168_1.jpg (301 KB, 2344x728) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2168_1.jpg
301 KB, 2344x728
>>28325399
I like mine
>>
File: 561.jpg (154 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
561.jpg
154 KB, 800x533
>>28321232
>Buying overpriced Benchmade crap
Literally the Alienware of knives.

I got the bad boy in pic related for around 65$ and it's pretty rad.
>>
File: next_gen.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
next_gen.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28324677

yeah...

you know what a bushcraft knife really needs? The ability to take some pressure on the spine.

oh, wait...

sebongo will never be anything above so-so tier.

Keep at it dude, maybe you'll learn to spot quality bushcraft knives. Though I doubt it...
>>
>>28322169

I prefer t j E bushlore over the mora. Bushlore has a much better tang, the mora is either a rat tail or stick tang, can't recall.
>>
>>28321294
Hell there's always a couple of Knife threads going on out.
>>
>>28326118
It's half tang, a little disappointing.
>>
File: davecanterburysayshello.jpg (39 KB, 636x319) Image search: [Google]
davecanterburysayshello.jpg
39 KB, 636x319
>>28321232
Best knife for bushcraft uses high carbon like 1095 or 1075 (or a quality tool steel like Falkniven uses), is full tang, is 4" to 6" long (3" is fine for carving, 7" would be large but usable), and not Hollow Ground.

Mora's are great when used with an axe or a saw, I often carry an old Martini puukko which serves the same purpose. Scandi grinds are perfect for carving and shaving wood feathers, hence their popularity. But they're not full tang, leading to them breaking if abused heavily sometimes. If not batoned often they should be fine. However larger knives can be good too, like the Cold Steel SRK, Fallkniven S1, BK7, BK2, or an Ontario RTAK 2 for example. I prefer a traditional setup of a smaller knife and a hatchet or saw, or an axe if it gets colder, but many do just fine with a heavy duty knife by batoning after watching nutnfancy do it. Eh, to each his own I guess, no denying it works for some some people.

If you want a "one tool option" instead, a large knife will suit you fine like the ones I mentioned above. LOOK at the steel used, you won't find a lot of good stainless knives under $100, good high carbon can be had for around $30 on Amazon or pennies at a yard sale (an old butcher knife can serve you well). A thick tang is great for a large knife, but you won't be able to carve as easily.

Don't by chinashit unless it's a good company, never buy anything that's zombie green unless it's Kabar (even then, gross, change the scales immediately).

All in all, you'll be able to find a good bushcraft knife at ANY price, even free sometimes if you loot your dead grand parent's kitchen.
>>28325549
>>28322169

It's like $35 on Amazon. One of the best at it's price point.

>>28322604
Eh, they prefer to keep knife discussion in the Knife General. People ended up making 20 threads about different knives either because they didn't know or just to fuck with people. Sebenza Guy was even ther- God fucking damnit...>>28324677
>>
What's best for general bushcraft? Flat, Scandi, or sabre grind?

Fyi Scandi grinds with secondary micro bevels are not true Scandis and are actually sabre grinds
>>
>>28326466
>Fyi Scandi grinds with secondary micro bevels are not true Scandis and are actually sabre grinds
>you'reprettygood.jpg

All three would be fine. Flat is good for splitting wood if that's your thing, Scandi is if perfect for carving but somewhat fragile if you plan on smashing it through wood like an ape with a hammer or stabbing boar/ Sabre is a good all around. Convex is amazing for chopping and splitting but hard to sharpen if you're not used to it.

If you want a small 3"-5" Scandi is great, any larger an it can be difficult for some to carve. 4"-7" Flat and Sabre are great. Any larger, Convex is king but flat and Sabre will be just as usable.

Go with what you like, what feels comfy, what serves your purposes. Pic-related is my favorite for bushcraft but NOT for hunting boar.
>>
>>28326569
>>28326466

Guess my internet didn't like the picture or something.
>>
>>28324695
I didn't post that one. I'm pretty sure it was one guy that was giving me all the shit though.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.