[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: kabar.png (56 KB, 642x147) Image search: [Google]
kabar.png
56 KB, 642x147
Looking to purchase a good, dependable survival knife, front runner right now is the KA-BAR with the Kraton handle. What does /k/ like?
>>
Any of ESEE's or Becker's blades are good, just pick one.
>>
>>28321088
go to a knife store and fingerfuck any ESEEs, Ka-Bars or Beckers you can get your hands on.
>>
>>28321088
Stock Ka-Bar's suck. The ontario SP1 will treat you better if you really want a clip point, but in a survival knife you probably want to avoid a clip point.
>KaBar BK2 is god-tier and won't snap on you if you're batoning or chopping wood
>Gerber LMFII is god-tier because integral sharpener, pommel can be used as a mallet in the sheath
>ESEEs are great
>OKC ASEK is good but smallish
>anything from SOG is okay quality, but anything other than the SEAL and SEAL PUP will likely disappoint you
>Ontario RTAK and RAT knives are great but basically ESEE clones
>>
>>28321088
i have one, it's nice. for only $40 it's a great deal. pretty sturdy knife, takes batoning abuse and can be sharpened to razor edge. holds edge well, handle is nice and grippy, wont fall apart or rot if wet like leather. i dont think there's much better quality out there for the same price
>>
>>28321195
>knife store
do these actually exist? would be cool to find a knife only store, i have only ever seen knifes of this type at gun shops and outdoor fishing camping stores
>>
Cold steel bowie

Strongest sharpest knives.
>>
>>28321088

M9 bayonet with scabbard

Besides being a good knife it will turn you rooty tooty point and shooty into a spear. It also has a wire cutter and a stone built into the scabbard to sharpen the blade it if needed. Oh, and a saw, a screwdriver, plus mine came with a little pouch attachment for whatever cause there are slots in the scabbard to attach stuff to it or attach it to stuff. Pouch can fit a small flashlight or pistol mag in the pouch or lube or anal beads, whatever strikes your fancy really.
>>
>>28321088
While the KaBar FK is a dated design, it still works. I took mine camping and batoned the shit with it. The Kraton handle is grippy compared to the stacked leather washers.
It's a good, plain knife at a reasonable price.
>>
>>28321088
Glock 19
>>
>>28322072
>Strongest sharpest knives.
All my Cold Steel knives have come from factory with at the best a mediocre edge, some have been actually dull to the point that they were unusable until i put a decent edge on them.
>>
File: 20151223_190442.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151223_190442.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
Puma original bowie. Older model pumaster high carbon steel one. 30+ years old. Many pigs stuck with it, as well as general feild processing on deer pigs tahr etc as well as being used as a hammer etc etc.
>>
Busse

>/thread
>>
>>28321088
First, learn how to survive with a knife. THEN, choose a survival knife.

Have you gone out into the woods and made a dozen figure 4 deadfall traps? Have you made feather sticks out of a variety of materials? Have you made a fire drill, bow and fireboard? Have you constructed a variety of shelters? Have you tried to repair clothing and equipment with a knife, or used the knife to fabricate tools to do so? Have you even ever actually batoned firewood? Have you gone into the woods and tried to live with just your knife for a few days? Ever butcher a rabbit? A bird? A deer?

Unless looking cool is essential to your survival, a KA-BAR isn't an ideal choice for most of those tasks.

Do some research and most importantly practice actually using a knife to do things which may be necessary to survival.
>>
>>28322347
A Mora companion is a cheap way to learn skills with a decent knife. Other inexpensive options for knife skillbuilding include a SOG Seal Pup, Schrade SCHF36, Condor Bushlore or Sapien. Avoid serrations -- they sometimes are useful, but often get in the way. Also, learn how to sharpen knives, and learn what "sharp" actually is and how to achieve it.
>>
Ka bars in the the traditional shape are fucking garbage, god I hate this meme. Tired of poorfags

Beckers and ESEE knives are fine
>>
File: which3.jpg (349 KB, 816x1013) Image search: [Google]
which3.jpg
349 KB, 816x1013
Which one? Gonna get a smallish knife for skinning, carving, and general field use with Christmas money. Narrowed it down between these 2 but can't decide and my local knife store only has them on sale for the next couple days!
>>
>>28322227

Replace cold steel with Kbar and that's my story.

All my cold steel knives have been shaving sharp.
>>
>>28322587
If only between those two, I'd go with the Trekker. The design of the Woodsman is more along the lines of a large game skinning and field butchering knife rather than general field use. Think about the various things you use a knife for (or want to use a knife for) and then go handle the knives, go through the motions with the knife. Also, learn how to sharpen a knife.

Maybe check this guy out. He really knows knives and sharpening: https://www.youtube.com/user/virtuovice
>>
>>28322014
>Ontario RTAK and RAT knives are great but basically ESEE clones

Fucking loooooooool
>>
>>28322596
lynn thompson pls go
>>
File: bk17.jpg (122 KB, 626x354) Image search: [Google]
bk17.jpg
122 KB, 626x354
>>
>>28322460
You are the meme, Anon.
>>
>>28322047
In Las Vegas I went to a store called Knives and More.
It was literally just knives and some sharpening shit.
Although a bit overpriced, my boner was still harder than steel.
>>
>>28322460
you know what else is fucking garbage anon?
you
>>
File: hammer.jpg (55 KB, 675x675) Image search: [Google]
hammer.jpg
55 KB, 675x675
i prefer hammer
>>
>>28321088
Are there any knife that don't scream tacticool or fudd?
>>
>>28324298
Pic 1
>>
File: IMAG1503_1.jpg (201 KB, 456x807) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1503_1.jpg
201 KB, 456x807
>>28324298
>>
>>28321088
Sissipuukko. Mora if you want to be cheap.
>>
>>28322318
Can confirm, if money isn't an issue and you can wait for it to be made any busse kin blade is worth a look
>>
>>28321088
>survival knife

Just get a fucking axe
>>
>>28324492
How to get this finish?
>>
>>28326207
black oxide coating and then stone washed
>>
>>28326207
stone washed blade
>>
>>28326207
force a patina with vinegar, put knife in a box/ container with a bunch of rocks/ceramic medium from the pet store and some dish soap
shake for a while and youre done
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.