[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it just me or are the mosin bayonets fucking tight or what.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 377457-mosin_nagant.jpg (9 KB, 320x237) Image search: [Google]
377457-mosin_nagant.jpg
9 KB, 320x237
is it just me or are the mosin bayonets fucking tight or what. i was thinking of either sanding the inside of the socket or just prying it open with a hammer.

any advice?
>>
Who would have known that Russian stuff has shit fit and finish?
>>
Numbers matching? I've found number matching fits a bit better
>>
>>28318637

They are meant to be tight, numbers matching will be better though. I believe the idea was they weren't suppose to remove them unless they really had to.

I have a bayonet without a number that refused to go on my rifle when I first got it. I sanded it a little bit at a time till it was a snug fit but would mount on the rifle.
>>
File: IMAG0861.jpg (652 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0861.jpg
652 KB, 1520x2688
Sand the socket if you must but not too much you don't want it to be lose

Since this is as close as were getting to a qtddt thread/ mosin thread you guys think this is safe to shoot? I just got it today for free so at least it's a wall hanger. Talk about moisture pitting right?
>>
>>28318653
417 on the bayonet and 344 on the bolt. what they didnt make them a standered size?
>>
>>28318637
its supposed to fit tight. it was put on with the idea it was never going to come off, unless you had to transport the gun. sanding out the inside of the bayonet and the part that slides against the front sight can fix this issue.
>>
>>28318682
how does the bore look?
>>
>>28318685
>>28318637
When i first got mine i had to use a rubber mallet to get it off and on. Filed down the metal a little bit on the bayonet and that helped a ton.
>>
>>28318682

Shit that's pretty rough looking. If the bore is good it might be ok, but I'm no expert on this stuff.
>>
If you don't mind scratching shit up, put it on and off a few times and it'll loosen a little.
>>
>>28318682
i wouldn't
>>
>>28318702
Great actually dark but no pitting
>>
>>28318682
Shoot it you fucking pussy
>>
>>28318730
is it still coated in cosmaline?
>>
>>28318707
i was thinking a file might be too aggressive. what kind did you use?
>>
>>28318637

Roll up some 180 grit or similar into a tube that fits inside the bayonet socket and work it back and forth. Check fit often until it is snug but easily mounted and unmounted. Won't take more than a couple minutes.
>>
>>28318766
That's a great question, I had been drinking at a friends house so I cant exactly remember, sandpaper might work, its a nugget bayonet, nothing is too aggressive for it.
>>
>>28318749
Nope its been in my uncles safe for about 15 years though

>>28318735
I may

>>28318709
>>28318726
Noted I may take it by a gun smith and see if he thinks that its safe. I only can get out to the 100 yard range about once every three months so i have plenty of time to run it by but since hes the best most useless gunsmith I have ever met he may go lol I dunno
>>
>>28318794
>Nope its been in my uncles safe for about 15 years though

then just give her a good clean and oil. my sks looks worse then that and hasnt blown apart yet
>>
>>28318834
Ok thanks man
>>
>>28318794
Seen the iv8888 video where they try to blow up a mosin but couldn't? The pitting looks fairly shallow and most likely the barrel is still structurally sound (from what I can tell). I'd say it's safe to shoot. If you're worried tie a string to the trigger and fire it from a safe distance
>>
>>28318637
>>28318766
>>28318767
>>28318786
I used a round file to wear down the inside and get my bayonet on. If anything, it took too long. Rolled up sandpaper might do the trick. A round file will fuck your shit up tho. Be warned. It'll do the job though.
>>
The tool that came with my kit is also a bayonet wrench, which makes it a shit ton easier to remove the bayonet.
>>
>>28318637
Instead of sanding try using flitz and polish it, I did that to my 91/30
>>
>>28318834
My friend's SKS was buried underground during the clinton AWB era, the guy who did it stored it improperly and when he pulled it up it was covered in some of the worst rust I've ever seen on a gun. The guy gave it to my friend because he didn't have the time to clean it all up and considering he bought it for practically nothing, it wasn't worth the time.

I really need to take pictures of it sometime, most of the metal was absolutely destroyed

Shoots fine tho
>>
>>28318637
Pry it with a dowel or metal rod. Itll fit like a charm. Do NOT sand it.
>>
>>28318637
Fine rat tail file and olive oil works just fine, faggot.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.