[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you justify spending so much on guns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 12
File: trp.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
trp.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
I've considered recently getting a 1911, specifically the Springfield TRP. I'm by no means poor, but whenever I see that $1,300 price tag I just keep thinking of all the other things I could spend that money on and shy away from it. I really want one, I just can't find the justification for it, especially since I won't be carrying it or using it for home defense.

How do you guys convince yourselves to spend that kind of money on guns?
>>
>>28316653
I have a percentage of my paycheck automatically parsed to a separate account that I specifically use for luxury purchases. Any money in there is fair game for whatever catches my eye.
>>
>>28316653

Layaway.
>>
>>28316721
This guy is smart.

Anyways, OP, I collect guns. They're a hobby of mine. I view them as a sort of investment at the same time. Unlike a lot of hobbies, firearms actually go up in price over time.

>Hmm... should I buy that FS2000 for $1800?
>Sure, I can have fun with it while I own it, and if I want I can sell it in a decade when it's worth $5000 and is considered a rare, special snowflake gun

I really wish I would have bought some Colt snake guns back in the day. I saw a NiB Python from the 60's go for over $30k this year on Gun Broker and a .357 Mateba go for $8000.

A Meteba used to retail for ~$1000 not even a decade again.
>>
I spent $1,300 on a STI Lawman 5.0. I don't carry it, nor is it my home defense gun. I can honestly say it has never stayed in the safe when I go out shooting. It is my favorite handgun. Worth every penny if not more.
>>
>>28316653
>I grew up in a not so pro fun state
>never had any growing up but really wanted them
>parents wanted one too but couldn't be bothered with going through the work of it
>It makes me feel safe
>I use them a lot
>I try to keep my purchases sensible, I only buy what I know ill use regularly
>I need them for work, or at least get use from them at work
>I can afford it and store them comfortably
>one day Ill be old and borderline senile and ill have to give them up so I want to enjoy it now
>I genuinely and un-ironically believe the country is going to go through some kind of civil upheaval within the next 10-20 years and I like the option of protecting myself
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4000x4000
>be me
>grow up on Long Island
>think guns are illegal my whole life
>graduate high school
>join USAF
>discover guns are legal
>discover what an ar15 is
>contract black rifle disease
>change diet to ramen noodles
>spend entire paychecks on ammo and magazines
>spend entire paychecks on tier one optics
>pretend to be le operator as a low ranking airman
>realize my life will never be the same
>have heart attack from ramen noodle diet
>>
File: then I met k.jpg (820 KB, 1034x1516) Image search: [Google]
then I met k.jpg
820 KB, 1034x1516
Because I collect them, I like mechanisms. pieces of technology...

Ok, to be honest, it's the only thing that makes me happy.
>>
File: SA TRP Operator01.jpg (874 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
SA TRP Operator01.jpg
874 KB, 3840x2160
>>28316653
>>
File: SA TRP Operator02.jpg (125 KB, 1000x718) Image search: [Google]
SA TRP Operator02.jpg
125 KB, 1000x718
>>28320421
>>
I spend so much on guns because they don't lose their value as much as a car does. I can resell it easily, sometimes for more than I paid for it.
>>
Guns go up in value over time. Pretty much everything else you buy will be worthleas in no time. My other hobby is computer gaming and everydime i put into it is worth nothing in 10 years.
>>
Guns don't really lose value, nor does ammunition.

At least if you buy a gun, you can likely resell it for a minimal loss in cash. Many hobbies are way bigger sinks in that regard. So if i needed quick cash, i could always sell a gun.

Hardmode: No one wants your 'custom' gun or your shitty guns so don't fuck with it if you want it to sell.
>>
>>28320490

Also, a lot of you people are idiots. Guns are not an 'Investment' by any means. Unless you bought 20 mosins 5 years ago.
>>
Crazy thought, maybe people buy things they want. Maybe, not everything you own has to be an necessary item.
>>
>>28316653

beats spending it on a new car which loses 1/3 of its value the second you drive it off the lot
>>
>>28316653

Guns are my primary hobby, so I don't have to do much to justify a new gun to myself.

I do like this guy here 28316653 and have part of my paycheck put into a separate Gun Fund. I'll either have something specific picked out that I want, or start looking when I close in on a grand in the account.

The only time I really start having to think carefully is when I'm contemplating busting out into a new caliber.
>>
>>28320490
Worst case you can part out ARs and such. I can't because I beat the fuck out of my guns but most people's guns are in good enough condition to sell.
>>
>>28320483
>that picture
Uhh slutty, furry Atlas?
>>
>$1300
>"That kind of money"
>>
>>28316653
I don't have anything I like better to spend my mostly excess cash on, so I put it into guns. The TRP is a fantastic 1911, I don't think it's justifiable putting more than that into a pistol, though. You gotta really like the 1911 to go much over $900 for one though.
>>
The thing with guns is they dont really lose their value over time. They aren't an investment but it is a hell of a lot better than buying the latest electronic gadget or whatever.
>>
>>28316757
/thread
>>
>>28316731
I've been thinking about finding a place that will do a RPR in 6.5cm layaway but I'm afraid I'll change my mind or they won't have one in stock when I finish paying on it
>>
File: IMG_20151220_182720.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151220_182720.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>28320434
>>
File: alaskan3.jpg (634 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
alaskan3.jpg
634 KB, 1600x1200
>How do you guys convince yourselves to spend that kind of money on guns?

Every year in Alaska we get a PFD check for somewhere around 1000 - 2000 dollars. I got this, this year.
>>
>>28316653
If it's within my budget for discretionary spending we're go for launch. After that it's easy to keep it under control by buying stuff that has no good reason to cost as much as it does, like M1 Garands or that Springfield TRP.
>>
>>28320509
I'm not the "guys" you're referring to but I think what they mean is it is a safer way to have a hobby you enjoy and if things go bad you can get a financial return on the money you have put into your hobby more easily than you could with knitting or turtle racing.
>>
>>28321170
Jelly as fuck
>>
>>28316653
What else am I going to spend it on? I'm 5 years ahead on my mortgage and don't have kids.
>>
File: huehue.png (539 KB, 567x800) Image search: [Google]
huehue.png
539 KB, 567x800
>>28321170
Wot ya need that for? Goin' huntin' an elephant?
>>
>>28316653
Most appreciate in value over time, I want to have something of value that isn't cash or gold lying around, at the same time I don't even own that many. I try to keep my arsenal as minimalist as possible, just one gun for every role plus some backup surplus I just can't sell because of the historical value/aesthetics/range fun.
>>
>>28321213
>Wot ya need that for?
It's a Ruger Alaskan and I'm an Alaskan. In Alaska we have kinda large animals.
>>
>>28321271
So why not ride them instead of shoot them?
>>
>>28320509
I have around $20k into my collection and it is worth at low end current market prices around $30k. If you know what you are doing you can gain easily. Granted ammo burns profits but reloading helps. Just buy low and trade/sell high. I like to put guns up on sites seeking trades and am open to most offers. If someone wants what you have bad enough they don't mind losing on the deal. I have had the luxury to shoot so many different guns over the years and have nice things. If something bad happens it wouldn't be hard to come up with a good chunk of change. But, that is what savings is for.

Post this thread in 10 months.
>>
File: 20150828_213016.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150828_213016.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28316653
>how do you justify

Because a savings account generates a tenth of a percentage of interest, and stock markets require full time attention.

Guns are a solid investment in a volatile market, guaranteed to pay out over time.

Don't buy shit, and you won't have to "justify" anything.
>>
>>28321186
>implying I can't retire comfortably on my turtle racing winnings
>>
File: DSCN7752 (Large).jpg (102 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7752 (Large).jpg
102 KB, 1440x1080
>>28321283
I'd like to find a wolf pack, drug them with tainted meat, then harness them like sled dogs.
>>
>>28316757
Yeah true this. Firearms are some of the best investment chattel you can buy. They rarely lose value over time, and usually beat inflation by a pretty significant margin. So long as you buy the right kinds of guns that is.
>>
File: 1448406142111.jpg (53 KB, 531x419) Image search: [Google]
1448406142111.jpg
53 KB, 531x419
>>28316653
>grow up in gun tolerant family
>dad has impressive collection he built during his manchild days of the 80s
>don't really shoot much as a kid because dad is busy
>doesn't buy many new funs due to mortgage and other bills
>dad pays off house while I'm in high school
>uncle and him start buying collector K31s they import from the old country
>talk about the cost over beer occasionally, some are well over 3 grand by the time it gets to the states
>be 19, buy first nugget because CoD swagfag and Russia is best countries
>120 shekels, not bad, never going to spend as much as my father and uncle do
>DoubleDownNewtown incident happens
>get text from kommandoTier friend worried funs are going to be banned soon
>FUCK, I still want a gun that looks like Master Chef's assault rifle!!
>rush to LGS and buy an FS2K for nearly 3 grand that day
after that it was all ogre from there, my funs normally run me at least a grand these days. My advice is buy something expensive right off the bat and then the others that come after it won't hurt as bad
>>
>>28320509
That depends on how you define "investment". Technically speaking, you're correct since firearms do not provide an income unless you're renting them out or something as part of a business. But most laymen think of an investment as something that you can buy that will increase in value over time.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.