[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of open carry? http://www.neogaf.com/foru
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
What is the point of open carry?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum
/showthread.php?t=1162007
>>
So that the cops can't be called on you for doing something as innocuous as moving your gun from a car trunk to the backseat
>>
>>28313385
this
>>
>>28313353
>neogaf
>>
>>28313353
Because nation wide constitutional concealed carry isn't a thing yet.
>>
Because this is America, shut the fuck up. Open carry is necessary for the normalization of firearms. Every state should eventually be like Alaska or maybe Arizona when it comes to OC. I respect those that OC I wish I had the balls to OC.
>>
>muh dick
>muh dick
>muh dick

Even for neogaf, that is a shit tier thread
>>
>>28314015
>Open carry is necessary for the normalization of firearms.
lets be honest, this is not true. this has never been true
>>
>>28314121

Open carry used to be common, and then... not so much.
>>
>>28314130
not really no, it has never been common place in urban settings. in the woods or out on the trail, yes. but never just 'around town'
>>
>>28313353
>Check Canada's open carry laws for long arms
>Boils down to "As long as you're not causing a panic, it's cool"
>The reason I cared is because I bought a rifle at a gun show
>But I had walked to the gun show with my daughter in the baby carriage
>So I had to walk home with a baby and a rifle propped in the carriage because no sling and fuck buying a sock

It seems like a common sense law, but unfortunately, a lot of observers and gun carriers don't have common sense.

And the instant I put a gun sock on it to conceal it, well shit, concealed weapon charge.

Really a no win scenario unless you ahve a trigger lock for it while concealed. I think that'll bumps it into the transport range.
>>
>>28314137
>it has never been common place in urban settings.

You realize that considerable portions of the US are rural, right? And that for a long period of time, almost the entirety of the US was rural, right?

Shockingly, people did JUST carry their guns around.

Maybe the establishment would have you leave them with the bartender, but open carry is no new invention.
>>
File: 1360283290896.png (16 KB, 721x403) Image search: [Google]
1360283290896.png
16 KB, 721x403
>>28313353
>neofag
>>
>What is the point of open carry

weak ego
small penis
persecution complex
>>
>>28314193
>small penis
>muh benis

it's 2016.
>>
>>28314174
you are wrong. Hollywood movies are not reliable sources for old west culture. granted, I am talking about open carrying handguns but even if hunting is in decline in America the image or sight of hunters with their guns doesn't fall into OC in my mind. idiots with AR's exercising their rights in Starbucks is full on fucktarded
>>
File: laughingelfman.jpg (54 KB, 256x353) Image search: [Google]
laughingelfman.jpg
54 KB, 256x353
>>28314130
>>28314137
>>28314174
It actually was common-ish until the 1960s
people could carry around long arms for hunting and sport

What changed it was the Black Panthers

They organized Citizen Patrols in the Black neighbourhoods of L.A. to monitor Police brutality
And they were armed
They didn't have pistols on their hips but they did have weapons in their cars

Do you know who introduced the first laws against open carry to directly counter this?
Ronald Reagan.
>>
>>28314197
>Hollywood movies are not reliable sources for old west culture.

No but it is for the people who idealise open carry and think trouble could strike at any second and only the man alone can prevent it
>>
>>28313385
keep it in a case
or why are you needing to move it in the first place?
>at home
>put it in trunk or backseat
>drive to range
>take it out and practice
>reverse process for journey home

why are you stopping, getting out, and moving it?
>>
>>28314197
>you are wrong. Hollywood movies are not reliable sources for old west culture.

I know, I've done actual research on the subject.
>>
File: 20130125-dodge-guns.jpg (49 KB, 460x307) Image search: [Google]
20130125-dodge-guns.jpg
49 KB, 460x307
Whoops, meant to quote just the part about films. In any case, I'm not wrong. The carrying of handguns was very common by vaqueros in the American southwest. Many towns in the 'wild west' had signs that said guns were not to be carried (openly or otherwise), but these sorts of things were not heavily enforced outside of places like Dodge City. Really it was a matter of whether or not the local lawman felt like dealing with it.
>>
>>28314211
>why do you nEeEeEd?
Stop right there.
>>
>>28314196
Well it will soon be my only option when I travel to VA. Now that they don't recognize NC CCW
>>
>>28314211

because i live in an apartment and have to walk outside to go put my guns in my car to go to the range
>>
>>28313353

To get the public used to seeing average citizens carying guns. Instead of suffering a panic attack every time soeone's coat shifts.

What's the point of arguing against open carry?
>>
>>28314211
better question why does it NEED to be illegal?
There is no point in passing a law if whatever youre outlawing does no harm.
>>
>>28313353
>NeoFAG
>Ever
NOPE
>>
File: 1448895438308.png (175 KB, 1816x782) Image search: [Google]
1448895438308.png
175 KB, 1816x782
>>28313353
>neogaf
>>
>>28314174
Its not like in the wild west, the sheriffs of towns would confiscate firearms of people while they were in town, or wait, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID.

Too many people, especially conservatives, have this fictional idea of how America used to be, and use it as an ideal to bring modern America to. And its bullshit.

For example, the majority of people in the 50s and 60s were pro-gun control.
>>
File: 84a2a4_4667035.jpg (203 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
84a2a4_4667035.jpg
203 KB, 1162x850
>>28313353
>because freedom
>easier access to your firearm when you need to draw
>can carry larger firearm and more mags/ammo
>effective deterrent against dindus
>for amusing yourself at the buttmad of liberals and soccermoms when they see you
>because freedom
>because USA
>did I mention, because freedom?
>>
>>28314193
>small penis

Every fucking time. You people should start a Doctorate program in penis size research.
>>
>>28314991
>For example, the majority of people in the 50s and 60s were pro-gun control.

Right, and I'm talking about the 1870s, here.

>Its not like in the wild west, the sheriffs of towns would confiscate firearms of people while they were in town, or wait, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID.

That was only particular towns. Dodge city and Tombstone, for instance.
>>
File: neopedo3.jpg (86 KB, 640x373) Image search: [Google]
neopedo3.jpg
86 KB, 640x373
>neofag
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.