[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /k/ feel about the M9?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: M9A108.jpg (97 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
M9A108.jpg
97 KB, 900x600
How does /k/ feel about the M9?
>>
>>28311550
how come beretta "disseapeared" the 90 two?
>>
>>28311550
M9 was a capable handgun and still is. It's a large full sized weapon that will do whatever you ask of it.
>>
>>28311608
Is it a good first handgun?
>>
I like my 92fs but to be honest all my other handguns are .45, so it is hard to compare. Of the 9mm I have shot I prefer my Beretta. 92fs > CZ75b (new model) > Sig SP2022. Though like I said I don't have a lot to compare it to. I know a lot of people complain that it is big. I like the feel. More accurate then I am.

>>28311623
I'd say so. I believe it is on the list of Fullsize 9mm that /k/ likes.
>>
>>28311623
It's large size is the only downside. What you planning on doing with it?
>>
>>28311645
Carry for protection against dindus
>>
It's a good full size handgun and will probably serve you reliably for a long time

It's not fancy, it's not pretty, and it's not really fun to carry though. There are flashier and prettier options for a 9mm pistol
>>
>>28311665
As a carry gun, you should look for something else. I hear the M&P Shields are good.
>>
>>28311550
they have 17 rnd mags and i think 20 also. I bet the military will never EVER get those mags and stick to 15 rounds for some silly reason because thats what theyve been doing for forever.
>>
>>28311672
>it's not pretty
Why don't you say that to my fucking face you little bitch?
>>
>>28311665
it can be done but it's pretty big for a ccw...
>>
File: beretta.jpg (124 KB, 640x419) Image search: [Google]
beretta.jpg
124 KB, 640x419
>>28311672
>Beretta
>not pretty
>implying
>>
92fs was my first pistol, still great to shoot to this day. I carry beretta a cheetah 84f in .380
>>
>>28311665
i know people that have carried them, but they're not very comfortable iwb. if you do any driving forget about 430pm, you'll have to do appendix or shoulder

doesn't some canadian guy on here carry a 92?
>>
Its build like a tank, but they tend to wear down prematurely and get very ragged. I doubt we'll ever see usable M9s hit surplus markets just because of how worn they are.

I personally like the M9, it feels good in the hand, plenty accurate, looks nice. I also feel there are better pistols out there.
>>
>>28311731
What about the 92 compact? Would that work better for carry?
>>
I have a M9A1, and I love it. My favorite 9mm without a doubt, would I want it as a conceal, or everyday carry? Probably not.
>>
>>28311550
Should have selected the SIG.
>>
>>28311717
>pretty big for a ccw...
FOR YOU!
>>
>>28311755
Realistically man it only drops over all length something like .75 inches. Height drops like 5mm. It just isn't the right gun for that job. It is amazing at what it does right, but concealment is just not its strongest feature.
>>
>>28311765
I agree with you, guy. The Beretta has a certain sexy draw to it that I can't resist for much longer, though.
>>
>>28311751
yea, try out a rental 92fs next time youre at a range

trigger is creepier than the ring
>>
>>28311765
So that we could have people complaining the P226 is shit after being forced to qualify on one that has been used to hammer in tent stakes for 30 years?
>>
>>28311782
Well I can always get one for a range gun or something
>>
File: 01a_m9_030512.jpg (220 KB, 622x477) Image search: [Google]
01a_m9_030512.jpg
220 KB, 622x477
I love the M9 except that when I perform immediate action, racking the slide, whether using the slingshot grip, or over the top grip, most of the time I end up turning the safety on, especially if I'm wearing gloves. Does no one else have this issue, or am I just a retard?
>>
>>28311793
>shooting a 92 on double action with the stock mainspring
>ever

You know you can get a replacement one for like, 15 dollars that significantly improves the DA pull. Or you could just not fire it in DA.
>>
>>28311672
>beretta

> not pretty

the fuck? berettas are one of the most aesthetically pleasing handguns there is, and instantly recognizable even to non gun people.

on the same level as a colt python, 1911, or BHP
>>
>>28311806
That is probably the best thing to do. Get one they are great, but get something else for carry. I just set mine on top of a box of wheat thins... and basically... if you wanna conceal a box of wheat thins go with the 92fs.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 820x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 820x765
>>28311755
If you're looking for a carry gun go subcompact. We are talking about something that you will carry on your waist everywhere you go and will likely/hopefully never have to pull out. Don't listen to fags who tell you that you need to carry a full size double stack with multiple spare magazines. Look into subcompact lightweight guns. Good options include glock 43, glock 26, m&p shield, Hk p2000sk, Hk p30sk, sig p320 subcompact
>>
>>28311550
Its a piece of shit
>>
>>28311809
You could either not shoot with gloves on, get front serrations put on it, or suck it up and re-cock the hammer after you load the first mag.
>>
>>28311809
No, it's a legitimate issue. Beretta addressed it in the M9A3 by having a lower profile and upward canted safety to reduce the chance of accidentally turning it on.
>>
>>28311809
yeah pretty much everyone has that complaint.

which is why beretta apparently changed the the angle of the slide safety on the M9A3s
>>
>>28311755
desu the 92 or any full size hammer fired auto is really more of an "offensive weapon", like the kind where you would have plenty of prep time to draw and ready the gun.
the people who carry that type of gun are usually either
>a) criminals, who plan on pulling their gun first and need a 16 shots to clear a room, or 13/9 if they're shooting .45; or
>b)forced to carry that particular gun because they're poorfags and they inherited the gun or was given it as a gift and thts all they got, or canadian (where apparently you can only get full size pistols), or maybe it's a prescribed firearm in their private investigators firm, idk

anyway, the best carry gun is the one that maximizes comfort while sacrificing the least amount of functionality.

for people who work pretty low risk jobs, and live in safe environments, they can probably get away with a really compact low capacity pistol, like a walther ppks or glock 43. the greater risk you experience, and the less functionality you're willing to sacrifice increases the size of your carry gun
>>
>>28311813
i wasn't :/
the single action has a ton of slack :/
>>
This is kinda off topic but does anyone here use body armor frequently? How is it to wear
>>
>>28311932
day-to-day, police officers wear level 2 or 2a body armor, which is just the kevlar vest

tac team guys will wear level 3, which has the plate in it.

from what ive heard anything higher than level 2 is just too hot and heavy to be wearing day in/day out
>>
>>28311932
I wore it in the Army a lot (IOTV)
Hurt my lower back, makes you move slower the heavier it is. Gets pretty sweaty if in hot environment, sometimes I'd remove the gear after a mission and my ACU top would become crusty white from all the sweat that had dried and become salty.
I hated wearing battle rattle.
>>
>>28311887
>like the kind where you would have plenty of prep time to draw and ready the gun.
wut? Hammer fired and full sized guns aren't any slower to draw and fire than other guns. If someone carries a full size pistol, they're probably not trying to conceal it. There are plenty of good compact or ultracompact hammer fired guns, like the CZ RAMI or sig p938.
>>
>>28311550
Aesthetically and as something I keep around as part of my collection? Yes. I like shooting mine and showing it off because it's a fun piece when it does work. I also have big meaty claws so it fits in my hands rather well.

My time in the Navy taught me I'd never fucking think of ever actually carrying one at any time for any reason, though. Familiarity breeds a whole lot of contempt sometimes. The only reason we keep it around is because a certain lobbyist in Maryland whines the moment we start trying to replace it when it invariably doesn't pass the test, but that's another story.

tl;dr, it's not necessarily bad, but there's so many better options. Wouldn't recommend as a first handgun.
>>
>>28311932
For work I frequently wear ceramic plates for 5+ hours including sitting in vehicles.

Soft vests feel like a thick jacket, they restrict bending just a little bit. Anything hard (III and above) such as ceramic or steel will be heavy and you will know you are wearing it. Furthermore you cannot easily hide a III or IV under clothes. Does that cover what youre looking for?
>>
>>28311675
Not knocking the shield, but there are many, many more and better options over it.
>>
gunners mate here so from what I have seen in the armory the only issue with them is the locking blocks break but that's after thousands of rounds and locking blocks are cheap so honestly I would say get one I know I will once I sort out a shotgun to go along with the pistols and rifles I already own
>>
>>28311550
Rented one at the range once, didn't like it. The recoil felt weird, and I don't like the lack of shoulder things that go up.
>>
>>28311550
Get a new 92, the m9s are all beat to shit.

I have one and I love it. I'm 6'6" 250lbs so it's not too big for me. Manlets complain it's too big for their babby hands and concealment though.
>>
>>28311588
Did they? Thank God, that was an amazingly stupid name.

> inb4 Glock 17 Gen 5 is named the 7teen
>>
Pros:
its decently accurate, has a long decent sight radius, weight keeps down muzzle flip, plenty of aftermarket parts

Neither Pro or Con
has a safety, newer models come with more polymer parts, some models the recoil spring is not captured,

con:
extended barrel prone to knicks and muzzle crown damage, exposed barrel, accidently decocking your gun and turning on the safety, while sligshoting, locking block is sacrificial part

MHO
YMMV
>>
>>28311809
>>28311845
>>28311871

Beretta Guy here:

If you are racking the slide using the slingshot method, your fingers should pull the safety towards the top of the slide, and will not engage it. If it is engaging, you are incorrectly pushing your non-grip hand towards your grip-hand elbow during the racking motion, which pushes the safety towards the frame and risks negligently engaging it. The best way to visualize the error is to imagine yourself holding a slingshot - pushing the band toward your grip-hand elbow would prevent you from fully extending the band.

The overhand method inherently risks activating the safety, as it pushes back/down towards the frame, in a direction that will engage the safety (with a reduced grip).

Keep in mind that military-issue M9's have very worn parts, so the safety can be negligently engaged more easily.
>>
File: Beretta92FSWoodGrips.jpg (66 KB, 736x513) Image search: [Google]
Beretta92FSWoodGrips.jpg
66 KB, 736x513
>>28312639
>I have one and I love it. I'm 6'6" 250lbs so it's not too big for me.

... You just helped me a lot by saying that. 6' 10" bear-man here. Recently become very interested in owning a 92FS as first handgun. I can't stop drooling over these pics

Want one like pic related bad.
>>
>>28311588

Succeeded by the 92A1
>>
>>28311755

Beretta Guy here:

It depends on if you are going to OC or CC. There are many people who can CC a 92/M9 comfortably, and many people who cannot. It is a large and heavy gun, and the Compact (M9A1C) is only marginally reduced in size, with a 13 round standard magazine (from what I recall atm). If you're determined to CC a Beretta, I would suggest the M9A1C over a M9, but would stick with the full-size for OC.

To be fair, I believe that you would probably want to CC a Beretta Cougar instead, or choose a CC-oriented polymer framed firearm.
>>
>>28312544

>the moment we start trying to replace it when it invariably doesn't pass the test

Can you please elaborate?
>>
>>28312610
Beretta Guy here:

Beretta has classified the locking blocks as "consumable" parts - they're made to last for approximately 15k rounds (though they can last longer); from what I recall, extraction springs are supposed to be replaced every 5k rounds. No "consumable" parts were replaced during military testing of the M9 platform, to my knowledge.
>>
>>28312710
Beretta Guy here:

6'3" with 2XL hands - fits like sex.
>>
>>28311588
Beretta Guy here:

To my knowledge, there is no publicly released information. My best guess is poor reception (aesthetics, "slippy" grip, rail-cover, etc).
>>
>>28312814
About every other year we've been doing trials for possible new pistols, and the M9 has failed the vast majority of recent tests against the competition (FN, H&K, S&W, even fucking Ruger, etc). Problem is some prick from Berretta in Maryland pisses himself about it in front of congress and they cut off finding for it every time.

>tfw we could have had the FNX as our standard issue sidearm
>>
just bought a M1951
>>
>>28311550
A deal that should have never happened.
>>
>>28311665

I bought a 92 as my first handgun, I loved the shit out of it and I still keep it in my car door pocket in case of an uppity motherfucker or road rage idiot. But if you're planning on carrying it concealed on your person and the weather is above anything other than fuck you cold you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
File: 1382115041266.png (2 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1382115041266.png
2 MB, 1280x853
>>28311725
>>
>>28311803

>le tent stakes meme

Hey I read that article too!
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.