[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OP is a retard whose getting poisoned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 399x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 399x291
So /k/, recently I've been collecting slugs from the burm I use as a backstop. I just found it interesting and I didn't think much of it until today. I was talking about lead poisoning with a friend and I realised I may be at risk.
I just dig in the burm a bit with my bare hands and pick up the slugs to look at. Should I stop or would I only be at risk if I had open cuts/touched my mouth?
>>
>>28303495
Wash your hands with soap and water and maybe a little gun solvent immediately afterward, and you should be fine.
>>
hard lead is not going to cause issues with skin contact
I'd be more worried about trashing your berm by digging foxholes in it by hand. Get a sifter or make one out of an old screen and make sure to pack your holes to keep your berm solid
>>
People who have bullets permanently embedded into their bodies from gunshots aren't affected by lead poisoning.

You're fine.
>>
>>28303509
people with bullets permanently embedded into their bodies are typically dealing with jacketed rounds or steeled shot
>>
>>28303515
No.
>>
>>28303516
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>28303515
You mean like the jacketed rounds in OP's picture?

>>28303495
You'll be fine OP, gonna take a lot of years of fondling spent projectiles before you need to be concerned about lead poisoning.
>>
Don't grind down the bullets and snort them. and you'll be fine. Metallic lead is not going to pass through your skin and is not that bioavailable. The lead salts/covalent compounds in the primer are an order of magnitude more hazardous than the bullet.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 590x775) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 590x775
>>28303500
>>28303501
>>28303509
Ok, thanks for the insight.
This is a QTDDTOT in hindsight but whatever, I'm tired.
>>
>>28303495
It's good practice to wash your hands after handling guns and ammo you dingus.

But also, lead poisoning is much harder to experience as an adult than as a baby eating paint chips. You have to get a pretty big dose to add up in your system through repeated exposure. Think working in a foundry or a factory with lead compounds. You could suck on those bullets every day for a few years before it became an issue, but obviously don't do that.

Also, just wear gloves. Less for the lead and more for not cutting yourself on sharp dirty metal and getting tetanus.
>>
>>28303547
>It's good practice to wash your hands after handling guns and ammo you dingus
Well no shit, the problem is I go shooting innahills and I don't exactly have running water and soap around. I wash my hands as soon as I get home and take off my gear.
>>
>>28303547
For you
>>
>>28303578
take a little chunk of soap and find a stream
better yet, wear gloves
>>
what about lead inside the deer i shoot?

i am probably going to be shooting monometalic nonlead bullets but i was just wondering about this

also avoiding breathing in the residues while firing thousands of rounds down range? it will be outdoors so at least ventilation will be good
>>
>>28303646
>what about lead inside the deer i shoot?
if you're eating it, don't shoot straight lead. shot and slugs you can get steeled, or jacketed rifle rounds
>i am probably going to be shooting monometalic nonlead bullets but i was just wondering about this
you're fine
>also avoiding breathing in the residues while firing thousands of rounds down range? it will be outdoors so at least ventilation will be good
indoor ranges are well ventilated enough, or should be, that it won't matter
>>
File: 1446456024762.jpg (225 KB, 613x827) Image search: [Google]
1446456024762.jpg
225 KB, 613x827
>>28303654
>he doesn't hunt with hard cast semi-wadcutters in his handloads
>>
As someone who works with molten lead for a living, you should be fine as long as you wash your hands, and eat plenty of meats and dark greens. You'd have to fucking chew that shit to get lead poisoning.
>>
>>28303495
It's not fucking plutonium. Studies have been done on lead and hand-loaders, and have found handling bullets and shot isn't a health risk as long as you wash your hands.
>>
>>28303500
>soap and water
That's enough, solvents have their own poisons.
>or gloves
Dont smoke, eat or itch your ballsack until you wash hands
>inhallation hazard?
Unlikely.
>>
>>28303495
>Coming to /k/ with a medical question
>Not just washing your hands like you regularly do after shooting

Shameful
>>
>>28303495
can't be worse than handling airgun pellets or loading up mags of 22lr with exposed lead bullets
>>
>>28303546
>This is a QTDDTOT in hindsight but whatever, I'm tired.
fuck those threads, all gun related topics deserve their own threads, this is actually an interesting topic too
generals & qtddtot are the cancer of /k/ allowing half the front page to be full of shitposts
>>
>>28303646
>what about lead inside the deer i shoot?
why would you eat the mangled red crap near the bullet path?
cut it out like a normal person
>>
A blood lead test runs $30,worth it if your worried. I'm a shooter, reloader, and work in the automotive, and commercial battery industry. I have also taken apart batteries to show customers the difference in the internals, and that has stirred up lead dust, I wasn't wearing a mask. Much worse than handling solid lead. Started to think of all the lead in my life, got tested, nothing to worry about.
>>
>>28303654
It's literally illegal for us in Canada to hunt game with any non lead based round or a jacketed round. That lead bullet you shot the deer with isn't gonna hurt you, even if you are gonna be an Indian and eat the bloody lil fucked up flesh surrounding the cavity
>>
>>28303622
In high desert so no water
>>
>>28304679
>It's literally illegal for us in Canada to hunt game with any non lead based round or a jacketed round.
proofs plz?
>>
>>28304679
this cbc special (is dans le francais):
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/science/2015/03/19/001-viande-gibier-contamination-plomb-chasse.shtml

mentions that copper is a viable alternative.

it also mentions that the contamination area of an impact wound can have diameters of 10cm+ (4 inch+ for the bugers)

I plan to develope 2 loads, one for target shooting and 1 for hunting, pure copper for one and jacketed for the other.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.