[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shoulder holsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 234304_ts.jpg (155 KB, 1154x1154) Image search: [Google]
234304_ts.jpg
155 KB, 1154x1154
Why don't more people use shoulder holsters? Are they fedora-tier when compared to hip holsters?
>>
>>28302204
The biggest problem is that you have to consistently wear a jacket in order to properly conceal the firearm. Also, when did any remotely impractical item automatically become 'fedora' tier? As long as you're not a dick about it, who cares?
>>
>>28302294
Not OP, but I think fedora-core mostly refers to aesthetic abortions; dumbasses try to mix styles and levels of formality in their dress and lifestyle but fail badly.
>>
>>28302333
I could understand that; wearing a shitty trilby with jean shorts will make you look like a tool regardless of your attitude.
>>
>>28302204
concealablity is a huge issue, but in the cold times it's not that bad, tho cross draw can be a pain in the ass if you train for backpack/front-pocket/ or belt carry for the warm months.
>>
>>28302294
Not so much a jacket as a button up shirt. I carried my 92FS like that with a plaid button up over it and it worked fine. Problem with it is you need to keep the shirt or jacket from flying open and exposing your gun to the world and killing babies.
>>
>>28302204
if you want to role-play as max payne sure
>>
>>28302399
I wasn't really sure if the material from a button up would be thick/loose enough not to print too much
>>
File: The Homesman.jpg (82 KB, 1614x675) Image search: [Google]
The Homesman.jpg
82 KB, 1614x675
I prefer them. Not to mention there's nothing you CAN'T carry in a shoulder holster.
>>
>>28302428
It was a thicker shirt and loose. It wasn't a skin tight shirt, it had a lot of play. But it was much better than a jacket. I rolled up the sleeves and rocked the old republics "vintage operator" shirt.

I wore it to a friends place and he didn't realize I had a gun on me until he asked about my 92FS and I unholstered it for him.
>>
>>28302204
It really isn't. You just have to find a nice, thin, breathable, saggy Cagoule or some other kind of Windbreaker jacket.

Stuff like that is hard to find.
>>
>>28302204
several disadvantages:
if you don't wear a jacket, you're open carrying
you can never take off the jacket
a strong gust of wind and you're open carrying
you have to cross-draw
you generally can't practice with it at a range, because unless it's a VHS, you're going to be flagging the RO and everyone else at the range while you draw, and if you can't practice with your holster, you shouldn't carry at all

I own a Galco for my glock, and wore it underneath my suit one time, but even with a heavy gun like my 92, I prefer a two-clip IWB with my kydex stiff gunbelt. Seriously, a good gunbelt and holster combo will let you carry basically anything
>>
>>28302579
>you generally can't practice with it at a range

You can still practice your draw technique with an unloaded gun. Not quite the same, but it should help develop a decent level of skill if you can't do it at the range.

>I own a Galco for my glock, and wore it underneath my suit one time, but even with a heavy gun like my 92, I prefer a two-clip IWB with my kydex stiff gunbelt.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
>>
>>28302627
>practice with an unloaded gun
this is true, but my aspergers is enough that I don't feel comfortable carrying unless I've done from-the-holster mozambique drills at the range to the point where I know I'm not getting it caught on anything and I have the followup shot muscle memory down

I could see how for bigger folks a shoulder holster would be the ideal situation, especially if you're in a car most of the time you're carrying
>>
>>28302653
>I could see how for bigger folks a shoulder holster would be the ideal situation

That's what it is for me, at least. I've been losing weight and IWB works, but something about it isn't right. The draw position is all wrong.

Muscle memory and all that.

t. Fats McGee.

(Also, some guns are just too big to go comfortably in the waistband. Even with a great holster, full size guns get ridiculous, imo)
>>
>>28302686
>full size gets ridiculous
It's all about the pants, man
the cotton-on aussies make some great "track denim" in khaki that are basically slim through the legs, with a room in the crotch and seat and an elastic waistband with loops. I've got a 5-7 with a TLR1 and it barely prints at all because the extra fabric hides it well enough.
Also, cant is a big factor. there's a huge difference between a straight IWB and one with like a 15 degree cant to it, MUCH smoother draw

Wore the shoulder holster under my labcoat one day for shits and gigs though, mainly because we're not allowed to take it off when we're clocked in so it wasn't like i'd print anyway
>>
>>28302730
>It's all about the pants, man

I usually wear jeans, which don't have as much give as softer fabrics like khakis (and other derivatives).

>Also, cant is a big factor. there's a huge difference between a straight IWB and one with like a 15 degree cant to it, MUCH smoother draw

That might have something to do with it. I'm not opposed to trying new things, but I think the shoulder holster is the perfect design. I'll have to see what's out there.
>>
>>28302776
>usually wear jeans
yeah, I can't wear jeans anymore because every pair I've bought, I rip the dick out of them and end up with a completely split inseam
if it works for you, I wouldn't change. there are a lot of shitty kydex holsters out there, so unfortunately the "holster drawer" pretty much has to be lived with
>>
>>28302810

My current plan is to get a completely custom tooled shoulder holster with a bunch of adjustable straps so it'll keep working (and staying snug) as I continue to lose weight. Also trying to get it designed so it'll be compatible with the Galco shoulder holster shit.

Leather work is expensive.

> there are a lot of shitty kydex holsters out there, so unfortunately the "holster drawer" pretty much has to be lived with

Luckily I've avoided that problem thus far. One day I'll have a drawer full of them, though.
>>
>>28302860
that dickhead from weaponseducation shills these holsters, but everyone who's bought one seems to love them, if you're looking for an adjustable one. Not sure if they'd be compatible with Galco, though.

Luckily i've got spare parts for my frequently breaking comp-tacs in that drawer. I swear, I find more retention screws that walked themselves out in my pants than I can count
>>
>>28302891
shit forgot link
http://www.armoryexpressoutlet.com/Shoulder-holsters_c_62.html
>>
>>28302891
>>28302901

Frankly, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. The second best option is to get someone who knows how to do it exactly to your standard.

Custom work ain't cheap, but it's also guaranteed to do what I want.

Buy once, cry once, etc.

Thanks for the link, though. I might not be opposed to buying one of their actual holsters to put on my setup.
>>
>not using a shoulder holster under your t-shirt
plebs
https://youtu.be/LdiVMtduIFk?t=295
>>
>>28302204
I don't own an IWB, so I cannot speak about them, but I own a shoulder holster and a hip holster. The shoulder holster is by far the most comfortable and discreet holster. It's impossible to sit comfortably with the hip holster. It hides the weapon well unless you lean forward and your jacket or shirt gets slides under it exposing the gun - which can be darn embarrassing in a country with no legal CCW. On the other hand I carried comfortably in my shoulder holster for hours, in cars, trains, clubs, and even passed customs with it (I was young and dumb). Not only I had a full-sized handgun, I also carried two spare mags.
>>
>>28302204
work nice as long as you have a coat or jacket to cover
or like me you carry a rifle and the ammo for rifle is on belt or in bag near belt line so you need to put a secondary in a different place then belt (and i just hate drop leg holsters cuz i use that space for emergency med gear)
>>
>>28302473
>Concealed it from yourself
>Not everyone else
>>
you know it is "in fashion" for men to ware a t shirt and then a button up shirt over it like a jacket
and they are tacky as hell but... Hawaiian shirts... comfy with a shoulder holster and you dont print and can still get to gun fast
>>
File: doge camo.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
doge camo.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
>>28302204
ive never seen one that attaches to your belt also. thats a good idea. id actually consider one now, if it has that option
>>
>>28303183

It usually depends whether it's vertical (gun points down) or horizontal (gun points at the fucker behind you).

Some which are convertible include belt straps.
>>
>>28303183
>ive never seen one that attaches to your belt also
i thought most did that
hell the airshit one i have can do that (dont knock it, they fit most real guns just fine and work and cost $10, and when you destroy it you dont care it was only $10)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.