[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Body Armor Proposal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
This is mostly theorycrafting since I don't have much experience with material science, let alone ballistic testing. Between reading about naval armor systems, especially those used by the US Navy in WW2 battles and a paper about edge strikes on M2 .30-06 AP (which explains perforated armor).

My intent hear would be to provide Level III protection at a weight of roughly 5 pounds.

The method to defeat penetration would consists of a very hard plate to deform the an incoming projectile as much as possible (like the outboard decapping plate on US battleships), followed by a perforated plate with holes positioned in such a way as to shear and hopefully snap penetrators, especially the steel core of M855 rounds, and finally a cheap backing plate to catch remaining fragments.

>Strike plate
.04"/1mm GR2 titanium plate

>Perforated Plate
1/4" 7075 T6 aluminum plate, perforated with 5mm holes at 3.5mm intervals

The hole diameter and spacing is to ensure that the m855 penetrator will hit some sort of edge. The ratio of diameter to spacing was taken from a post on tanknet about perforated armor.

>Backing plate
16 Gauge mild steel

>Between layers
1/8" industrial-grade, fabric reinforced neoprene sheets, which would hopefully flex and bulge

The estimated cost, based on raw materials and not labor would be about $125 per square foot of plate

Also, feel free to post your own ideas about body armor or why this idea is stupid
>>
>>28291834
It already exists and it's ceramics.

Also M855 is not steel core.
>>
>>28291976
>ceramics

This thread was intended to be about things that aren't your traditional boron-carbide ceramic plates

>not steel core

Well, whatever you call its steel penetrator section, that was to what I was referring
>>
>>28291834
Why would I want it I can have sk4 30,06 AP ceramic multihit at 3,1kg

Confused....
>>
>>28292660
My idea was to improve on price in comparison to ceramic plates, while having better multi-hit resistance and being drop safe
>>
>>28292697
I can buy the 30,06 AP ceramic plate retail or less than your manufacturing cost.

I also have faith in them because I have seen one stop 7.62 x51 AP and save a life. That's a big deal. You can get them for 85 euro....very hard to compete with.

The Russians used titanium a lot in their vests and they were pretty crap.
>>
Do typical plate carrier vests have any kind of padding/kevlar weave in front of or behind the plates? That seems like it would go a good ways to lengthening the lifespan of the plates themselves, and if effective could cut down on the overall weight of the plates necessary
>>
>>28292742
All the US prices I've seen are at least $160. The titanium is there only to present a bullet with something very hard to deform it.
>>
>>28292764
No basically.

You can stick a trauma plate in and you may have a Kevlar insert but these are add ins and not part of basic carriers.

I prefer at least 30 layers and a plate with shoulder and groin protection. I have never used site plates but am interested.

>>
>>28292861
I said euro. German SK4. Good standard. I don't use L3 at all. Also like ceramics like you got in the old Bristol soft inserts. Good stuff

I have many vests - but always use german plates.
>>
>>28292920
Based on the paper, 6mm+ thick aluminum edge could snap M2 round cores. I just thought NIJ III, would be a good starting point.

Do you have any interesting ideas for body armor?
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorock

Steel sheet backing, steel and aluminum wool tac welded to front 1inch deep, the whole thing biorocked for easy to make hard plates.

Kevlar saturated in thinned out silicon mixed with fumed silica for flexible parts. Sheer thickening ftw.

Coated in a layer of silicon + graphine paint for fire proofing.

All riding on a body suit made from inflatable tubes for padding and tubes circulating hot air out.

Biorock is growing artificial seashell through electrolysis. Four times harder than concrete 1/3 the weight. Made with mineral rich water, metal, and 1-5 volts, preserves the metal.

The typical sheer thickened cloth recipes binder doesn't hold up long term but magic is in the glass dust not the glue, suspend the powder and get a flexible brick.

Graphine can be made at home with graphite power a 1 to 3 part water/acetone. You have to mix it at high speeds for like 17 hours to make graphine. You need a super fancy blender (and you will burn it out) or a wisk on a router (you will burn it out) its still cheaper than the proper lab tool.

Air is one of the best impact absorbers, allows custom fitting and support of limbs (like pump sneakers but errywhere). A fan system sucking hot air out of the suit from channels around the body. Electric tooth brush motors run off 1.5 volts not hard to imagine small cheap solar panels ($1 store lawn lights) can supply that straight.

There ya go boys. Have fun with that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.