[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carrier questions and carrier thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (440 KB, 2391x774) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
440 KB, 2391x774
/K/ommandos I have a question I wanted to get some answers to, but here is the basic premise:

I'm from /tg/ planning on running a colonialism-type space game. The players and their crew go to another planet and have the job of getting a solid colony going by the time the next colony ship arrives (a few thousand now, about 10k people a few years after the characters arrive).

So as to why there is a question on carriers- I decided an aircraft carrier was reasonably about the necessary size of a ship that would carry a colonizing force of about a thousand or so, but I'm not sure how much crew you would need. Wikipedia says 5,000+ as the crew for a Nimitz, but I couldn't find the composition of the crew ie., how many of that crew is engineering, pilots, weapons systems operators, sanitation, comms, etc.

Assuming automation I would expect at least half a normal crew operation. Since the crew will operate in shifts to get to the planet along the 20 year journey there (cryosleep), an aircraft carrier-size space ship should be big enough for:
Hydroponics/biolab
Small shuttle hangar
cryopod storage
industrial size 3D printer plus metal shop
Storage for food + water + ammo + weapons
50 ground vehicles including spare parts
5 air vehicles (think small cessnas or crop dusters, nothing larger than a Gripen) plus spare parts
3 satellites (for comms and GPS stuff)
hospital
computer servers
250 TW nuclear fusion reactor
backup 100 TW fusion reactor (think the size of a normal A4W or A1B nuclear reactor)

I guess the question is, what WOULD the crew requirement for something like that look like? What is the normal crew of a carrier?
>>
>>28291020
>>
>>28291020
Go to Atomic Rockets
>>
>>28291020
Honestly, you should plan it more around a cruise ship and less around an aircraft carrier. Aircraft carriers are purpose driven to combat, there's a lot of crew redundancy, and no one's just along for the ride to a new location. Obviously these are going to be more expensive ships to run, not just because they're making no return, but because of all this purpose driven crew, all the equipment that supports them, all the maintenance their doing throughout the ship and on the aircraft, etc.

A carrier of some kind, assuming it doesn't just land and deconstruct, needs to be operable after the bulk of the people it's carrying have left. Again, think cruise ship ratios.
>>
>>28291933
Probably more like a submarine that grows its own food.

Space is going to be at an extreme premium, probably to the point where nobody gets their own bed, and you have to schedule showers a week in advance.
>>
>>28291020
OP, i do not have the answers you seek, but i am very interested in this campaign, when will it be starting?
>>
>>28291954
>jamming civilians that close together for that long
Dystopianish game?
>>
>>28291020
>350 TW

DAYUM SON, THAT'S ALOTTA JUICE.
>>
The main action will be when they land on planet. My idea is that the "middle" will more or less detach and unfold into a small colony, where things are much less cramped (again, most of the 20 year journey will be spent in cryosleep a la Alien).

The bio/medsci guy is in charge of adapting earth food and goats to the new environment as well as identifying new food sources, viruses, etc.

The engineering chief is obviously in charge of the technical stuff like "making sure the reactors don't break down" and the mechanical aspects.

The security chief officer is in charge of keeping people in a flying cruise ship in line and investigate wild life problems, people problems, etc.

The human resources person is in charge of the social well being and development of the crew as well as being the crews main outlet for expressing dissatisfaction. Morale is important.

>>28291933
Appreciate the cruise ship idea though, nice feedback.

>>28291954
Same, great idea.
>>
>>28292310
Well I'm guessing that you would need a lot for a whole spaceship, plus everything would likely be battery powered cuz you never know if you can find oil.

>>28291960
Unfortunately unless you are local I can't help you there, it isn't online.
>>
>>28291020
You don't really need a lot of people in it, because automation would pick up the slack. The few people who are on board would be highly educated to operate robots to do mining, industry, etc. This is a future game I am guessing, so who gives a shit if it's super accurate?
>>
Dual citizen of /k/ and /tg/ here. I know nothing about carriers, but I am deeply curious about this campaign. Is this entirely a homebrew, or are you basing it off of a preexisting system?
>>
>>28291020
>>28292362

I would probably keep a crew of a thousand just to keep a cache of NPCs to kill off, cause drama, etc. Plus they have to explore and deal with alien life, along with any sentients they encounter.

I havent decided which system to use. I have experience with D20 Modern (i homebrewed a fallout-esque post-apocalypse campaign so I have all the leftovers left), Serenity RPG system (cortex system), D6 space, and palladium Super Heroes unlimited so I have options. I may try Gurps though.

The basic premise is that the players are the section chiefs mentioned previously and they sign a contract with a company (for the sake of discussion we will call the company MegaCorp) and go along the 25 year quest to colonize a planet (again 20 years travel and 5 to build up, for sake of discussion it will be called Atlantis). They set up the colony and upon the second colony ship arriving they receive $25 each. They start with 1,000 but then 10,000 arrive, then 20,000 more, then 30,000 more, then 50,000. Once the final ship arrives the company sells the planet to the US government (to justify the companies interest in game).

If the players fuck up enough I may do a sequel where they deal with starvation, disease, etc. due to their failure.
>>
>>28294809
Fuck me, $25 MILLION, not $25 total. The NPCs just get $5 million, with a random lottery of 10 mil for the crew who who perform well. The next colonist ship receives less, so on. Obviously the early bird gets the worm to justify their labor and risk.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.