[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Build superweapon Third try at building superweapon. First 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
File: url-1.jpg (3 KB, 134x100) Image search: [Google]
url-1.jpg
3 KB, 134x100
Build superweapon

Third try at building superweapon. First 2 failed because of critical system failures caused by rebels.

This superweapon has vulnerable critical systems also

No CAP. WTF, first order. Planet sized superweapon, and no CAP?
>>
>>28287661
Did the Empire even know what happened to the second Death Star?

None of the TIE fighters that pursued the Rebels inside survived, and obviously everybody on the station died.
>>
>>28288215
Still doesn't forgive not having an aggressive CAP up.

What did they think they are, Russians? That a couple of static SAM's would be enough to handle an incoming attack?
>>
>>28287661

Exhaust ports. That's what keeps bringing the Empire down. Even with space magic, thermodynamics just bite you in the ass.
>>
>>28287661
>planet sized superweapon
>thumbnail
>>
Next time they should just spay aerosolized Dimethylmercury everywhere.
>>
>>28288364
unprotected, unguarded, extremely explosive, curve lacking (because thats all you need... a bend in the ventilation to force missiles to explode before getting to far inside the critical systems) exhaust ports.

Its crazy how the weakest but most important link in the machinery is left so unguarded during combat. A planet sized weapong, with a single building capable of collapsing the whole damn thing... and rebels strutt right in until someone with spacemagic has the hunch that they will be there.
>>
>>28288449
There was a shield protecting the planet, and the fucking bombing runs didn't do jackshit until Han and Chewie blew a hole in it big enough for them to get inside.
Fuck.
>>
>Planet sized superweapon
>No redundant components
>So little information security, the janitor knows weakness

It's like the Empire isn't even trying
>>
>>28288481
That explains why they're not even am empire anymore.
>>
>>28288481
>redundant system to contain the energy of a star
>>
>>28288481

LockeedmartinInfoSec.avi
>>
>>28288473
yeah thats the point actually. i was referencing old movies with the exhaust port, and the new one with the building.

If a bounty hunther and a wokkie can pull that one, how about a specialized infiltration team of five? one without the one person that can be easily sensed by the bad guys? (which is why a stormtropper unit was deployed there, otherwise they wouldnt have had any problems going in and out).
>>
Given the enormity of the Death Star and assuming its layout was at least somewhat akin to modern aircraft carriers..

Do you think there were entire divisions that would literally never see one another if they were stationed on opposite poles of the Death Star?

Do you think internal politics were divided by the fact that tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people were working on board?

I wonder if they looked at one another with the disdain we have for other cultures? This happens even on comparatively minuscule ships, imagine having a hundred miles between you and the assholes who keep overloading their hydraulic lifts and sending the parts back to be fixed.

>those fucks from Delta Quadrant are the worst, can't trust their asses with a machine more complex than a lever!
>>
>>28288516
They had to exit their hyperspace jump in atmosphere, and everyone thought that was crazy.
Nobody does that. Nobody would ever do that.
Except Han.
>>
>>28288516
Infiltration was going to be a massive problem. Shield prevented any unauthorized access san a damn near suicide run right into the surface, and it did have air support that did a good job at killing half the Resistance fleet. Remember how terrified Finn was of reprisal from the First Order for his desertion? He knows they would of gladly tracked him down and murdered him. Had it not been for escaping with the Resistance's best pilot he would of been dead quick. Remember TIE's don't have hyper drives and they spot check deployed units to see if they at least fire their blasters.
>>
>>28288578
Why not just tie a hyperdrive to a big asteroid?
>>
>>28288569
According to my autism, the first Death Star had roughly 1.7 million people aboard at any given time.
>>
File: 456456.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
456456.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>convenience after convenience with no character development
>>
>>28288578
galaxy with uncountable population, an army of technicians, generals, specialized combat pilots... none capable of doing or thinking about this kind of insertion, but han and the girl did it in 2 seconds of "brainstorming".
How about planning ahead and not going straight into the planet but in an angle in order to not decelerate from light speed and changing course immediately
>>
>>28288614
Because they would of been TIE food immediately, they more or less pop out of hyperspace right at radar level which is maybe a couple hundred feet tops, going at an angle meant they would be too high
>>
the Empire represents cuckservatives.
>>
also no SEAD on the part of the rebels
>>
>>28288489
It's almost like they hired the team that designed the Pripyat nuclear power station to build their new superweapon.

>But Sergei, what if the flux harmonics get out of phase with the dinglefier widget?
ARE YOU DOUBTING OF GLORIOUS SITH ENGINEERING?
>...no.
BECAUSE IT IS SOUNDING LIKE YOU ARE OF DOUBTING GLORIOUS SPACE LEADER!
>No, of course not! That wasn't what I-
IS GOOD BECAUSE IF YOU ARE NOT OF LISTENING TO GLORIOUS SPACE LEADER I MIGHT BE OF REQUIRING TO REPORT YOU TO GLORIOUS SPACE LEADER'S MASKED COMMISSAR AND HE WILL BE CUTTING OF YOUR TINY SPACE DICK OFF WITH GLOWING LASER SWORD AND GET NEW TINY SCIENCE MAN TO BUILD GLORIOUS WEAPON
>Yes of course Sergei, we will be of doing it- I mean we will do it as you say
AND DON'T YOU BE OF FORGETTING IT
>>
>>28288402
I thought it ironic.
>>
>>28288647
Resistance wasn't outfitted for an outright assault. They were meant to hinder, harass and skirmish with the First Order. Besides AA is static I'd rather have a fleet of fighters that can go where I need them
>>
>>28288598
They didn't have time for that shit nigga
>>
>>28288215
Well there was a massive fucking imperial fleet right next to it, so there's that.
>>
>>28288638
no it doesnt, entering orbit in hyperspace at an angle would give them more time for deceleration and safe landing. If the math is done properly it would happen below radar. if it didnt they would get detected.

If you go straight at the planed a nanosecond between hans "NOW!" and coming out of hyperdrive would mean they where splatted against the surface instead of just detected.
>>
>>28288808
At an angle means they will get detected, they cannot give away their presence as they did all the spooky shit
>>
>>28288578

Admiral Adama called. He wanted his tactics back.
>>
> "Death Star 3 was ineffective!"
> destroys the capital planet of the New Republic, killing all of its important leaders
> destroys the entire New Republic fleet
> destroys the four populated moons around the planet, along with thousands of civilian ships and space stations in orbit
> the First Order lost an experimental superweapon, a few thousand men, and a single capital ship

Yeah, they really only needed one shot out of that thing. Have you ever considered that it's impossible to build a weapon that size and have it be stable?
>>
>>28288983
A few thousand men?

It was a ship the size of a planet! They lost a planet full of troops.
>>
>>28288983
Idk the other Death Stars were stable (aside from the attacks) and could move through space. I'll agree that Starkiller Base was meant to be a one-shot space artillery, but I think of it more as a move similar to the attack on Pearl Harbor. A desperate move to even the battle between the New Republic and the First Order
>>
>>28287661
They had a planetary fleet in orbit.Rebels warped into the atmosphere (should've killed them).
The rebels still had to send a ground team to disable the Shields (which somehow didn't immediatly get caught and base on full alert as soon as they warped in.)
Han and Chewy STILL had to do internal damage to the structural supports to do anything past superficial damage.
Red Squadron STILL had to actually fly inside the damn thing and blow it from inside.

If you can account for all that as a military planner, your god damn Nostradamus.
>>
>>28287661
Why the obsession with massive stations anyway? It didn't work out the first two times. I get that it's just JJ rehashing the originals for goy bucks, but a SHIP with a super weapon would have been easier to digest at this point.
>>
File: Attack_path.png (15 KB, 1321x737) Image search: [Google]
Attack_path.png
15 KB, 1321x737
>>28288909
Angle is tangential to the planet. You can't detect them until they come out, and the angle doesn't matter as long as the locus of emergence is low enough. See my shitty MS Paint drawing.

Actually, what pisses me off most is the complete disregard of the previous issue with gravity wells and Interdictor-class Star Destroyers. Which begs the question, why did the rebels have to get a ship to orbit before jumping out from Hoth? Why not load up the ships, and jump them out from the hangers? And why didn't someone just jump an unmanned fighter loaded with explosives into the center of the Death Star? Makes no sense.
>>
No, only the falcon warped in to atmosphere. the rest flew in since the shields were down. And got free shots at their target before CAP picked them up.

There's no way you should let a fighter squadron get close enough to fire a shot. That's like asking the Nimitz to rely on small arms in the hands of marines on deck to repel russian fighters.
>>
>>28289141
Resources, the First Order doesn't have them. They are hunted by the Resistance who's funded by the Republic. So while the Resistance can send an ace pilot on a courier mission the First Order is reduced to forcing janitors to fight. Star killer base was the nuclear bomb that might make a war between the Republic and The First Order somewhat even.
>>
>>28289078
I dunno man, most of the planet could have just been storage for all the tech needed to run that fucking thing.
>>
>>28289182
They literally made a planet into a weapon. They clearly have lots of resources.

Why couldn't they have just gone with the terrorist angle and had them towing asteroids rigged with hyperdrives into planetary collisions? It's canon that things in hyperspace are NOT removed from "real space", meaning if they run into shit it is instant death. So why couldn't they have just nuked Coruscant? Why the elaborate plan?

Feel like they missed the opportunity for something far cooler
>>
>>28289262
Or something like Thrawn.
>cloak astriords
>launch in to an obrbit designed to make impact with planet
>much more cost effective than entire planet converted to super weapons

That combined with a hyper drive, then a massive kinetic energy weapon.
>>
>>28289262
>rocks are not 'free', citizen

Jokes aside, putting a few hyperdrive engines on an asteroid and punching it towards a planet would completely fuck shit up.
>>
>>28289262
No, Star Killer base is a step back in comparison to the tech and resouces used for the Death Stars. Sure it has more dakka but the base itself is very vulnerable to other weapons, it can't move and relies on having a star nearby to create up a shot. A powerful shot sure, but once it's out of Sun juice it's junk.

Also Coruscant was the old capital of the Republic/Empire New Republic has a moving capital that moves with the fleet. It was attempting to rebuild worlds affected by the war.
>>
This is why Suncrushers were a thing.

I miss the EU.
>>
>>28287661
>B-wings
Don't even get me started again.
>>
>>28289354
Fuck it. I'm going to reread the Thrawn trilogy over Christmas.
>>
>>28289078

There's no evidence that there were any developments on the planet other than Starkiller Base. We only saw a few hundred men, mostly technicians and stormtroopers, at Hux's hype speech - there couldn't have been many more.
>>
>>28289137

Lol, I can imagine the meeting

> No, this won't do at all - there is a critical design flaw
> What is it, Supreme Leader?
> If a commando team were to place high explosives along all of the interior support columns it could create a hole barely big enough for a single X-Wing to fly through. Once inside, the X-Wing could fly in a tight circle destroying all of the weapon's critical systems.
> Ah... of course. We'll get right on that.
>>
>>28289137
>>28289588
I'd expect there to be backups more for redundancy than anything. When you're channeling the power of a star, it might be a good idea to have a second system capable of containing that power on the facility in case anything happens to the first. Especially when the whole thing is the size of a planet and that containment generator is quite small in comparison.
>>
>>28288489
Then don't even try to contain it.
Dump the energy somewhere in the event of an emergency. Like the blowout panels on a tank.
>>
File: bwing prototype.jpg (416 KB, 1753x1397) Image search: [Google]
bwing prototype.jpg
416 KB, 1753x1397
>>28289468
Mad that a small private army only had X-wings?
>>
>>28287661
Dude they had a mega super star destroyer stolen by criminals.
Empire fucking incompetent
>>
>>28289175
Why even build a death star? Get a small ship to +C and ram that shit into... well anything and it'll destroy half the fucking system.

Shit, rig a hyperdrive to shoot even tiny objects and you have baby mobile death star.

>jump to hyperspace
>fire hyperspace gun
>mfw all that energy
>>
>>28289338

>it can't move
>must rely on nearby star for energy to power the weapon
>consume nearby star
>blow up nearby planets who's inhabitants somehow did not notice the nearby starkiller being built in their back yard
>no more nearby stars
>starkiller is now useless weapon with nothing to guard or attack
>>
>>28289338

The empire never valued practicality. Grand displays and massive symbols were always the preferred method of getting things done.

Would a cloaked asteroid kill shit dead? Sure.

But there isn't any theater or drama.

It only makes sense that an heir to the empire would choose the slow moving finger of god over an efficient and cheap knife in the back.
>>
>>28290196
The Star Wars universe actually doesn't have anything that goes all that fast. Even TIE Fighters only go about as fast as a modern fighter. Ships either go a few hundred miles per hour or FTL, nowhere in between. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense. See the source material.
>>
>>28287661

Yes /k/...for all its physics bullshit, you got to admit watching a 700 mile wide beam kill about 12 trillion lives...beautiful.
>>
File: Doomed.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
Doomed.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>28291522
>>
>>28291547
Shouldn't the thermal bloom from that beam have killed everyone on the parade? Or at least blinded them?
>>
File: 1450554499263.jpg (888 KB, 2240x1320) Image search: [Google]
1450554499263.jpg
888 KB, 2240x1320
>>28288569
>>
>>28291727
How did they sneak that fucking thing into Republic space? Judging by how fast that beam reaches the planet (maybe a few minutes) it couldn't have been further than Earth to Jupiter. Sneaky planet is sneaky.

Liked the movie but the biggerer betterer deathstar was really god damn stupid.
>>
>>28291796
>the scale of the Freudian Nightmare compared to the scale of the other ships
>Sections 3 and 4

wew lad
>>
>>28291727

Well. they appear to be about 1k miles away...but hey its SW. Bet more than half of the energy they store to shoot the fucker is placed into shielding.
>>
>>28291400
How can they be doing the same speed as regular fighters? They can drop down from high orbit in seconds?
>>
>>28292014
Like I said, doesn't make sense, but it's the cannon. If you do the math during the dogfights in space battles, the fighters are going incredibly slow.
>>
>>28292081
people need to understand that neither lucas nor the faggots that wrote the eu have any idea about science at all. basically they find words which sound cool and make shit up out of ignorance. it's entertainment, not something to base your world view around.
>>
>>28292116
Which is the point of everything I've been saying. But some of the old EU writers did have their shit together. Had the decency to at least not bother to try to explain the things they didn't understand.
>>
>>28288608
this
>>
>>28292081
I like to pretend that advanced technology made long range missiles obsolete, and that only short range guided torpedoes and unguided blasters were the only thing they could use effectively. Then spacial warfare just evolved from that precedent.
>>
How does the star killer base's beam even travel faster than light to reach other systems within the character's lifetimes? At least the death star could lightspeed around.
>>
>>28292670
Something something hyperlight something beam. Actually, if I remember the old EU right, the Death Star's beam was FTL, too.

But the bigger physics blunder than the FTL superweapon was how every planet could see the shot at the same time, regardless of how many light years off of the path they were.
>>
>>28291727
How do they keep the surface from freezing as it travels through space away from stars and a habitable zone?
>>
File: Creed.jpg (32 KB, 294x400) Image search: [Google]
Creed.jpg
32 KB, 294x400
>>28289137
You called sonny boy?
>>
>>28292123
>THE EU IS BETTER THAN THE MOVIES!!!

this meme needs to die
>>
>>28289354
So true... Why did they have to make the EU non-canon damnit. Well, it will always be canon in my heart.
>>
>>28289680
Honestly that was my biggest gripe with the movie. That the literal exact mission the Y and B wings would have been critical for and they are nowhere to be found.
>>
>>28294962

>IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF A TITAN SOMEHOW FOUND ITS WAY ONTO THIS BOARD
>>
>>28288569
That's an awsome idea
>>
File: 1419547558978.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1419547558978.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
>>28295220
>tfw no Revan movie
>>
>>28291727
The plasma should have expent (expended?) very quickly and burny the half of the planet
>>
>>28295220

Ignoring that the Force Awakens is just the welded together remains of the EU superimposed over a draft of A New Hope: there is nothing in it that hasn't appeared in some form before beyond soccer-droid.
>>
File: 1242225473355.jpg (57 KB, 400x425) Image search: [Google]
1242225473355.jpg
57 KB, 400x425
>>28295434
>>
>>28295220
That's a perfectly valid opinion from an illiterate.
>>
>>28295427
Resistance was meant to harass survey and skirmish. X-wings were the natural choice, Y/B wings cost more and are slower.
>>
>>28291826
They didn't sneak it, it was in First Order territory as per the peace treaty

Like how the Norkies will level Seoul in case of war.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.