[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civilian here. How hard is it to actually earn the privilege
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: image.gif (16 KB, 290x432) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
16 KB, 290x432
Civilian here. How hard is it to actually earn the privilege of fighting in special forces ie. SAS JTF2 GROM etc.? Is it sort of if you work or train hard enough you'll make it or is it like professional sports that likely you're just born with it?

Also post some gud pics
>>
Im gonna let you in on some operator advice anon...
Its pretty fucking hard
>>
Cant you google it? There have been countless books and docos done about SAS selection.
>>
it's hard, but not professional Athlete hard. you can train into it. i'd say its 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember the Name.
>>
File: jump.jpg (74 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
jump.jpg
74 KB, 800x451
>>28284816
Most tier one guys are 45-55 years old with 20 plus years of experience.
>>
>>28284856
yes but that's an over used word. Anything from a doctor to an oil rigger to a mother of 7 can be described as pretty fucking hard.
>>28284881
I like hearing 1st hand sources or personal interpretations.
>>28284883
kek
>>
>>28284928
Being a Tier 1 Operator requires mental and physical strength, many that went through the qualification described it as, "Pretty fucking hard."

More at 11.
>>
>>28284883
also at least a 5 in charisma and 7 in will power
>>
>>28284928
>I like hearing 1st hand sources

Translation: I dont want to read the books, you tell me what you learned from reading the books.

Where do you think you are? The only selection anyone here has ever passed is natural selection.
>>
>Mentioning JTF2

This is now a spiderman thread
>>
>>28285052
I'll actually explain the level of JTF2
>>
File: 9000_KEK.jpg (11 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
9000_KEK.jpg
11 KB, 225x224
>>28285051
>>28284928
>The only selection anyone here has ever passed is natural selection.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 400x300
>>28285051
>you illiterate fuck why don't you read a full 500 page book on a question that came across your head this morning!!!!

it's like there's not an appreciation for time in some of these boards.
>>
>>28285063
JTF2 is filled with actual warrior monks, that were converted in a mental asylum.

When I was in CFB Comox, I talked to some of the CF-18 Pilots, and they say that when they were in Afghanistan they were in contact with some of the SF on ground in combat and the JTF2 guys would speak almost as golf announcers.

Like JTF2 you actually have to be somewhat insane to pass the Pyche test, and the limit that the Canadian Government has over the press is insane. It is one of the few governments that can actually make newspapers and physical images disappear from memory, never mind data.

A regular thing that limits others from joining is that injuries are so common that its treated as part of the testing.

They are also one of the only SF branch that was allowed to go door knocking with the SEALS.
>>
>>28284816
My advice is to train hard without injury (don't get injured/or don't be a bitch)but also get into a popular sport of some kind and become good at it, they aren't going to let you just cause you can do the job, they have to like you, the military is a boys club.
>>
>>28285169

>Not sure if ironic pasta or real Canadian
>>
It's not insurmountable, you just have to be willing to A) put your life on hold while you go off to enlist and play operator and B) be stubborn enough to not get burned out by the military's endless supply of weapons grade bullshit.
>>
>>28284925
This. Most people attempting sas selection have already been in the army for 6-8 years at least. You need to be a very good soldier before even considering it. Even then something like 5% pass selection. Other proper sf groups like delta are the same.
>>
>>28285169
Youre a dumbass
>>
>>28284816
Depends how you do it, I would recommend getting a shit load of certs and then applying to join a special forces regiment. There are several ways to do this.
>>
File: certs1.jpg (155 KB, 960x290) Image search: [Google]
certs1.jpg
155 KB, 960x290
>>28287160
>shit load of certs
>several ways to do this.

I usually just go to 7-11 with a wad of singles.
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>28285051

I doubt a lot of people here would pass natural selection, lets be honest.
>>
>>28287160
>I would recommend getting a shit load of certs

Uh, what? The SAS don't care if you overpaid for a tacticool brand-name sponsored by Magpul extreme gun posing class.
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>28284816
Only another week if christmas break boys, we're almost free
>>
>>28284816
semi-professional athlete to get through selection. the big difference is that you do it all yourself, you don't have a coach or team mates to motivate you, you don't get to come home to a warm bed and good food at night, and you don't get a medal or public reward afterwards. in fact you get the privilege of living at zero notice to move and people trying to brutally murder you in a shithole.

and that's a big difference. for example, the point to point in uksf selection is a ~two week long navigation exercise, performed individually, that requires the individual to operate by themselves in the wilderness for 24 hours a day in all weathers. the combination of physical hardship and solitude really gets people, especially at night when they have to press on by themselves and the weather is shit because wales is a shithole.

so as you can see, it's not just a physical selection. it's deliberately designed as a mental selection as well.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.