[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eastern Front
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
/k/, school me on the Eastern Front, I know shockingly little about it

I understand everything up towards Stalingrad but after that it's just a mess. How were the Soviets able to push back and take back so much land quickly? What were key events in the Balkans and what happened that was significant around the siege of Warsaw

Its the areas in Poland where I know so little about that part of ww2
>>
Russia threw conscripts at the problem until it went away. Then they ruined everything for the next 60 years.
>>
>>28278385
>siege of warsaw
That was in 1939, they didnt really do anything during the warsaw uprising
>>
>>28278471
when they re-took Warsaw sorry
>>
>>28278385
The thing about losing is that it very quickly turns into a positive feedback loop.
>>
Soviets were bad, mkay
[spoiler]pole[/spoiler]
>>
>>28278385
The Germans were working on a ridiculously thin margin for the entire war, so once they started losing, they lost hard. The Germans were pretty much relying on the endurance of their own men and the incompetence of the Soviets to keep them going because their industry and manpower couldn't hope to compete.

If you're looking for a general timeline of what happened, I can give you that. But generally the biggest advances of the Soviets (Bagration, Vistula-Oder Offensive) came well after the Germans lost the strategic initiative and were on the defensive.

Operations in the Balkans were surprisingly brief. You had a failed offensive into Iasi in spring 1944 that was followed by a successful offensive in the summer of 1944, after which the Romanians overthrew the dictatorship and switched sides.
>>
>>28278385
Stalin moved his production to fucking Siberia.
2 million krauts never made it back from Stalingrad.
Come spring 25 million enraged, rapey slavs zerged the fuck out of Europe.
3rd Reich got their shit pushed in.
Russians built more tanks in a year than Germany did in the entire war.
Sturmovich was the best cas tank killer of the war.

Americans took all the credit, and did virtually nothing.
>>
>>28278497
Warsaw kind of fell without a fight. The Russians had stopped right before they got to it in 1944, and although the Germans had pretty much leveled the city during the uprising, they didn't really stall the Soviets when the Vistula-Oder Offensive began. There really wasn't much of a fight put up at Warsaw, especially compared to the efforts to contain the Vistula bridgeheads.
>>
Chris Bellamy, Absolute war.

That book should have all the answers you need, anon.
>>
tanks, snipers, stalingrad and winter won russia the east. its almost as if germany wanted to lose by attacking russia when they did.
>>
>>28278547
>Americans took all the credit, and did virtually nothing.

Well, we did get hold of the gold reserves of both Russia and Britain. That has to count for something.
>>
File: German-1.jpg (2 MB, 1622x950) Image search: [Google]
German-1.jpg
2 MB, 1622x950
Cold, very cold
>>
The TL;DR would be a bit like this.

>Hitler decides to put a stop to the Soviet Union
>Because Stalin is the retards, Stalin believes Hitler when Hitler says that putting three million soldiers on the border with the Soviets is part of a plan to invade the UK
>the opening stages of the war make Pearl Harbor look like something everyone saw coming
>Germans advance rapidly, taking millions of POWs
>Germans stop on the outskirts of Moscow, some German patrols actually get close enough to see the spires of the Kremlin
>that's as far as they get
>Russians move all the factories and shit East behind the Urals
>American supplies start to arrive
>Germans attempt to push South into the Caucasus for oil, but Paulus's 6th Army gets bogged down in Stalingrad
>Zhukov manages to surround the 6th Army and starve them out
>the '43 offensive is aimed at surrounding the Kursk Salient
>battle of Kursk is massive, Soviets win
>everything after Kursk is one massive defensive manuever
>>
>>28280383
Lend Lease equipment didn't start reaching the front until just after Stalingrad.

You're also leaving out the Soviets' ability to absorb ridiculous amounts of casualties and still launch simultaneous offensives across the entire front.
>>
>>28278385
>How were the Soviets able to push back and take back so much land quickly?
Deep battle works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhXKlYnSWjA&list=ELlzBS5WrPu4s&index=1
>>
File: 1363907202664.jpg (67 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
1363907202664.jpg
67 KB, 300x321
>>28278385
>Asking /k/ about history
>Post-2013, after the fall of /pol/, when /k/ became flooded with the shit heads.

Go read a book you dumb faggot. If you actually cared about learning the history, 4chan would be the last place you'd go to get info.
/k/ is for shitposting about shit that you have at least a grasp of.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.