[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it possible to legally build a safe handheld 40mm single shot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Blunderbuss_A.png (369 KB, 1616x552) Image search: [Google]
Blunderbuss_A.png
369 KB, 1616x552
is it possible to legally build a safe handheld 40mm single shot blunderbuss that uses premade shotgun powder charges and primers and shoots anything from rocks to lead shot to 40mm slugs at home?
>>
As long as you live on a ranch out in bumfuck nowhere Texas, why would it matter if its legal.
>>
Black powder firearms aren't regulated federally.

Should be fine.
>>
>>28276743
safe? no. otherwise, as long as your projectiles aren't explosive you're g2g
>>
>>28276743
>40mm slugs

that's a lot of resistance I sense kB
>>
>>28276770
*primers would need to be separate from your "premade shotgun powder charges"
>>
safe? no. don't do it. you'll blow your hands off. keep gunsmithing to professionals
>>
>>28276767
it would use shotgun powder in a premade cartridge with or without the primer attached to the cartridge, so technically like a percussion cap hand cannon, would this be legal?
>>
File: 2-bore.jpg (9 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
2-bore.jpg
9 KB, 600x450
>>28276743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU

How about a 2-bore black powder cartridge rifle? 33.6mm. Pic related.
>>
>>28276834
if the primer is separate it is a "traditional cartridge" and isnt a firearm.
>>
>>28276846
wow, but why black bowder though? i hear that black powder is inferior to smokeless powder, is this true?
>>
>>28276926
Muzzle loaded black powder firearms are classified as antiques and not regulated like normal firearms in the US.
>>
>>28276926
Yeah, you'll get less velocity with black powder, but sometimes you run into the limits of material science, physics, and the end user.

Black powder can be plenty powerful enough. Slow and heavy bullets are often very effective. They don't have the velocity but have the weight to penetrate very deeply despite the lack of velocity.

I imagine developing a rifle built around a smokeless powder 2-bore load would be more difficult. Smokeless generates more pressure and more velocity per unit of powder. This can strain the barrel, locking system, and shooter's ability to manage the recoil.

I'm not a big black powder shooter, but for many types of weapons, it's more than adequate, especially if you're shooting 100 yards or less where the rainbow-like trajectory of heavy projectile black powder loads tend to have.

In the 10 years after smokeless powder was developed a lot of countries couldn't afford re-equipping their entire military with new weapons that could handle the powder. The Brits, for example, used an interim solution. They pressed the black powder into a single large pellet or slug and then loaded the powder into an unformed case, then formed the case around the powder, compressing it further. They did this to maximize the velocity they could get out of their black powder rifles before fully switching to cordite.
>>
File: maximumCage.png (87 KB, 289x303) Image search: [Google]
maximumCage.png
87 KB, 289x303
>>28276743
You can do whatever you set your mind to, anon.

I'm going to make a reduced recoil rifle, with springs, rods, a pivot and a slight misunderstanding of basic physics. It'll be boss.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.